The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the BEST sounding HW sampler
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
No.. you are thinking of the a"S"r-10. That poster was talking about the Ars10. That one came out in 1982. Get yer factoids straight.

Ars sounds better than the Asr anyway.... It had a VFD display. Part of what gave it that warm sound. It also runs on Unicorn magic.

Ahahahaha! my stomach hurts. unicorn magic.....u joker.
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

What is the best hardware in 2016?

Still looking for that late 80's , early 90's grit.
Old 5th February 2020
toraiz sp16 from what i have read
Old 9th February 2020
Here for the gear

Roland S-760 sounds good but the Akai S-612 is the most user friendly i think, good lofi sound also, ensoniq eps is another favourite + oberheim dpx, perfekt for a crazy floppy collector

S-760 is The most hifi i have anyway
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Akai Z4/8 or MPC 4000. 24 bit with great mangling abilities. I've held onto my Z4 for this reason alone, despite the MPC Live doing 95% of what I need.

But from what others are posting, it seems best means most grit / imperfections. Stay way from my favorite if that's what you're looking for.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

yea it really depends on what your going for, best is pretty subjective. of course a new software instrument with a high quality interface might qualify as best by specs. My favorite samplers that all have distinctive sounds are

asr10, s-950, emax, mpc4k for higher quality recording.
Old 10th February 2020
In case nobody mentioned it, the Kurzweil K2000/2500/2600 series are awesome, if fiddly, samplers. Something happens inside those machines that adds a majestic weight to anything sampled. The low end on the Kurz is deep and rich, and the top end is always "just right."

Sure, you can get lost in VAST if you want to. Honestly, you can just stick to the first algorithm and treat it like a "normal" sampler if you want. It is also excellent at layering samples (3 layers per voice, 24 or 48 voices).

Obviously, it is not as immediate as, say, an Akai S900 or even a Prophet 2000/2. But, man, that Kurzweil sound!
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
In case nobody mentioned it, the Kurzweil K2000/2500/2600 series are awesome, if fiddly, samplers. Something happens inside those machines that adds a majestic weight to anything sampled. The low end on the Kurz is deep and rich, and the top end is always "just right."

Sure, you can get lost in VAST if you want to. Honestly, you can just stick to the first algorithm and treat it like a "normal" sampler if you want. It is also excellent at layering samples (3 layers per voice, 24 or 48 voices).

Obviously, it is not as immediate as, say, an Akai S900 or even a Prophet 2000/2. But, man, that Kurzweil sound!
Yeah, I loved my Kurz for years and years as a main sampler. But in the end the midi timing is pretty crap and the sound is somewhat soft. Rich, succulent, but soft.
Old 11th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yeah, I loved my Kurz for years and years as a main sampler. But in the end the midi timing is pretty crap and the sound is somewhat soft. Rich, succulent, but soft.
If you push the channels/polyphony too much, I think every hardware unit is crap. It's just a little slow. If you want harder sounds: Akai.
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkadellic View Post
im not looking for features - i already have the samples - ready to go - and i will sequence from the computer

i just need something for kick and snare only - to make them sound punchier than a software sampler
SP1200, but since those are stupid expensive nowadays...

Get an SP2400... or, buy an SPL Transient Designer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search