The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who mixed Wu Tang - Enter the 36?
Old 16th January 2009
Who mixed Wu Tang - Enter the 36?

I am working on an album and I wanted to find out who mixed Wu Tang's 36 chambers? What was it mixed on (console wise)? anybody that has info let me know. wurd.
Old 16th January 2009
36 Chambers was mixed??

could've fooled me
Old 16th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
36 Chambers was mixed??

could've fooled me
Heh. Nice...
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Head

I know a dude who worked on 36 Chambers, actually worked on most of Wu-Tangs older stuff, and was there house engineer at the 36 Chambers Studio in Brooklyn I believe. His name is Jim Forbes he is actually a professor at Full Sail in Orlando, Florida. Cool dude. He has some crazy ODB stories. Thats all I know.

DubCity
Old 16th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubCity View Post
He has some crazy ODB stories.
Even people who've never met him have some crazy ODB stories.. now imaging growing up with dude.. wow, endless stories.. lol
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Addict

RZA

on an ASR-10. lol
Old 16th January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeminister View Post
I am working on an album and I wanted to find out who mixed Wu Tang's 36 chambers? What was it mixed on (console wise)? anybody that has info let me know. wurd.
I think they mixed that at Integrated Studio's, but I have no idea. I could be thinking of Methods album, or return from the 36. Does it really matter? That album sounds basement as anything I've ever heard. I would think they used SSL to mix all this stuff, since it sounds more like RZA himself [making the samples and sequences] then any one signature "console" sound.
Old 16th January 2009
I know what RZA made the beats on, I just needed the name of someone involved. Thanks fellas.
Old 16th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasoards View Post
on an ASR-10. lol
How would you mix vocal tracks on an ASR?

Sorry if you were just making the same joke I already dropped, and I missed it
Old 16th January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
I know what RZA made the beats on, I just needed the name of someone involved. Thanks fellas.
I just meant the way the records sounds, is literally "more like him" than any console.
Old 16th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubCity View Post
I know a dude who worked on 36 Chambers, actually worked on most of Wu-Tangs older stuff, and was there house engineer at the 36 Chambers Studio in Brooklyn I believe. His name is Jim Forbes he is actually a professor at Full Sail in Orlando, Florida. Cool dude. He has some crazy ODB stories. Thats all I know.

DubCity
36 Chambers Studios was in Manhattan (although the original was in Staten Island) and I never came across anyone named Jim Forbes there (unless he had a nickname, which most people did).... Wu Tang did not have a studio in Brooklyn, but at one time had 2 studios in Manhattan.

Rza's main engineer's were Carlos Bess, and then Choco starting after Wu Tang Forever. There was also some tracking engineer's over the years that was cool people... TP Big Beatz worked on almost everything at the SSL studio I put together for them. Things like the Kill Bill soundtrack, etc. He later went on to work with Swizz, and tracked Cassidy "I'm a Hustla" album, and most of the Swizz tracks of that era (Swizz bought the original 36 Chambers/ Manhattan from Wu).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I think they mixed that at Integrated Studio's, but I have no idea. I could be thinking of Methods album, or return from the 36. Does it really matter? That album sounds basement as anything I've ever heard. I would think they used SSL to mix all this stuff, since it sounds more like RZA himself [making the samples and sequences] then any one signature "console" sound.
Nope, Integrated Studios is a new studio and didn't exist in '92-93...

"Enter the 36" was done at Firehouse Studios which was on 28th Street. It was mixed by Carlos Bess.

Also.... most of the first round of solo albums, like Method Man's "Tical" and ODB's "Return to the 36", were mixed at several different studios in NYC including Platinum Island, Battery, and Chung King (they bounced around a lot).

Also to the original poster, if you are interested in having any of these guys work on your album, just drop me an email and I'll put you in contact.
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

The album is one of my reference albums, Its so nasty you can see on it how much you can push your mix to the borderline. I think this basement sound was quite thought out and it wasn't really a matter of equipment and abilities. And when I think of the album when I was listening to it on and on (lightyears ago) I was thinking, "that fukin....new grimey..hc...inspirating...wow...", not "hmm, there is something wrong with decks dynamics on protect ya neck..."
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Tony Belmont is right Carlos and Choco were their in house engineers, I hung around their alot when the Swamp album and Gravediggaz stuff was being recorded. Jim Forbes is full of shit at FoolSail, I know him also and he was probably high off some nose candy when he fabricated that story of working for them at 36 chambers. He is a Prog rock and Heavy metal engineer and he is no longer at FoolSail.
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm pretty sure it was mixed on an SSL. That's what I recall seeing their.
Old 16th January 2009
Here for the gear

Carlos Bess, that's my man. He mixed my joints when I used to go to FireHouse Studios. He is an Unbelievable Engineer and Producer.
Old 16th January 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyeseeing View Post
I'm pretty sure it was mixed on an SSL. That's what I recall seeing their.
this is wrong

it was mixed at firehouse (on 26th street in manhattan after yoram moved from brooklyn)

by carlos bess

firehouse had a PEAVEY console at the time
Old 16th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC DON View Post
this is wrong

it was mixed at firehouse (on 26th street in manhattan after yoram moved from brooklyn)

by carlos bess

firehouse had a PEAVEY console at the time
Yep... I believe it was a Peavey AMR-1600 and a Tascam 1" 16 track.
Old 17th January 2009
Gear Maniac

firehouse

firehouse was on 28 street betw 7 and 6 ave and they had a peavey amr console which friend of mine bought when they closed the studio down and i bought the api eqs .
Old 17th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Yes, it was mixed on the AMR 1600.
Old 17th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
36 Chambers was mixed??

could've fooled me
heh
but...
if it was remixed by today's standards it would be a classic down the drain.

r a double u
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Head

Los did a few on that album and the other two staffers @ Firehouse did the rest..I had the Peavey AMR for a bit...it was everything about the album that made it right for the time..remixed now..it would suck so bad...trying to crank it up and adding 808 where it wasn't and such..guest ...ala T-pain.. dirty wit luda...argh! the thought alone is murda-ring me...plus hunger brings out something in a artist...once u aint hungry... and even if u go back to hunger it is not the same...Rza lost all his masters in a flood...but I suspect some dupes made it out of Firehouse that will surface one day...but what do I know right Tony.

Ya know I feel like a Hip Hop Forrest Gump..always being there...

I remember Silver Fox of Fantasy Three letting me listen to "your rock" before it dropped...telling me "listen to when it says pop the popcorn" all amped up
I remember KRS living @ B-boy Records up in the south bronx south south bronx and Bill Kamara telling me I had that Latinie vibe in my beats.."I know there is no conga..but I can almost hear one" straight out his mouth...then I go do a Reggae joint for them...made $1000...Damn I'm paid I thinks ta mi self...
I remember working with KG from Cold Crush... my idols...
I remember watching Rock Steady learning how ta break..
I got robbed by T-kid...Rin One and War...and didn't mind it..coolest robbery of all time..
Watched Latin Quarters become Hip Hop and Roseland become Webo Webo Disco Dannyish...hip hop culture was mixed before it was culture..

I lived in the illest and freshest time in music/cultural history ever...I want the same for my son...one of you brand new gearslutz go out there and do it.. damn it...my boy and the world will be waiting

easy mi bredda's

Tkae
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) was recorded at Firehouse Studio in New York City from 1992 to 1993. The album was produced, mixed, arranged, and programmed by RZA, and was mastered at The Hit Factory in New York City by Chris Gehringer

I do remember something about tracks coming off of a casette portastudio as well.
Old 18th February 2009
Here for the gear

Wurd!!

Quote:
Hey!! Just wanted to contribute to this post. This is a list of all the gear that I used to record and mix the first wu-tang album.

Console

Peavey Production Series 2400 With Megamix Automation (Run with a Mac SE-30)

Audio Recorders.

Ampex MM1200 24 track - Originally own by Prince. "Purple Rain" album was recorded with this machine.

The majority of the record was recorded on 2" tape except "Protect your Neck" which was record on a Tascam MS16 16 track 1" reel with Without Dolby NR

Sony APR5003 2 track 1/4" with SMPTE
Tascam DA-30 DAT Recorder
Tascam 244 portastudio
4 track was used to bounce final mixes from DAT to highspeed 4 track Cassette with Maxell MX 60 Crome Cassettes.

Speakers and Amps

Westlake Audio BBSM12
Yamaha NS10m
Aurtones C5
(2) Bryston Amps 4B
(2) OCS amps MX 700

Signal Processors

Ampex 350
API 3124
Quad 8
Focusrite ISA 215
API 550A
Pultek Custom 2 eq's
Aphex Lunch Box (2) eq's (2) Compressors
1 UREI 565 Notch Filter
2 UREI 1176
2 UREI LA-4
2 DBX 166
1 DBX 160x
2 DBX 266
2 DBX 563x The Silencer
1 Alesis 3630
Valley People Dynamite Comp/gate
Valley People Gatex
Barcus Barry BBE802 Aural Exciter

Efx Units

Tascam 122 MKII
was used on "repro" as an Analog slap back delay used on the vocals. You hear it more on "Bring the Ruckus"
Roland R888
Yamaha Rev 1 (Without the Remote...HaHa)
Lexicon PCM 60
Echo Plate III
Stocktronics RX 4000A
Lexicon LXP1-LXP5 + MRC
Lexicon PCM 41 & 42
(2) Yamaha SPX90
(2) Delta Lab 1024
Ibenez AD202
Roland RE-30

The only microphone that was used was an AKG-C414 EB

At the time RZa used an SP-1200, EPS 16 Plus then Graduated to an ASR-10. We would lockup the units to tape using a Roland SBX-80

The Following machines were used for the following Tracks

1 Bring da Ruckus - EPS16+
2 Shame on a Nigga - ASR10
3 Clan in da Front - ASR10
4 Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber - ASR10
5 Can It Be All So Simple/Intermission ASR10 /Sp-1200 for Intermission
6 Da Mystery of Chessboxin' ASR 10
7 Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta F' Wit - EPS16+
8 C.R.E.A.M. EPS16+
9 Method Man SP1200
10 Protect Ya Neck EPS16+
11 Tearz -EPS16+
12 Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber, Pt. 2 ASR 10 ( I provided the live Drums )

Most vocal Performaces were flown in using Akai -S-1000 Stereo Sampler. We would sample a lead vocal on the left with a Snare or kik on the right for reference then fly in the verses in their places.

Peace, Carlos "C12" Bess
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

carlos. you are the man.

i ****ing love gearslutz.
Old 18th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOS_C12_BESS View Post
Hey!! Just wanted to contribute to this post. This is a list of all the gear that I used to record and mix the first wu-tang album.
Hey Carlos,

Good to see you on the forum.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

niiiiiiiice!!!... first hand info!!!

thanks carlos!!!

Old 18th February 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Hey Carlos,

Good to see you on the forum.
Tony! Good to see you are here too.

Your Welcome to everyone else!!!..
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOS_C12_BESS View Post

Most vocal Performaces were flown in using Akai -S-1000 Stereo Sampler. We would sample a lead vocal on the left with a Snare or kik on the right for reference then fly in the verses in their places.

Can someone explain to me what this means? Thanks.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Can someone explain to me what this means? Thanks.
there were no daw's back then. U had to fly vocals/chorus' to parts of the song u wanted it to go. some used samplers some used eventide and some used extra tape machine.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
there were no daw's back then. U had to fly vocals/chorus' to parts of the song u wanted it to go. some used samplers some used eventide and some used extra tape machine.
What was used to trigger the vocal/chorus part from the sampler/effects processor?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear