The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chord Progression Generator
Old 25th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
I agree....look at Boon Doc. He was straight sampling and his beats had a good mixture of grit. Now he is more of a neo-soul hybrid guy. His sound definitely changed because of his time dedicated to the keys.
Perfect example! Was watching more of his recent stuff lately and he definitely took a turn from sampling an took a step into more Neo soul direction. He's always had those funk bass lines but there's definitely something more creative and musically Inspiring about him now. I Agree you don't need to read sheet music or have a PHD in music theory but understanding basic chord progressions and playing an instrument won't hurt you. Especially when tracking musicians. Being able to talk and explain your self with knowledge and in a language they'll understand can only help for the better.
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatOrganics View Post
Perfect example! Was watching more of his recent stuff lately and he definitely took a turn from sampling an took a step into more Neo soul direction. He's always had those funk bass lines but there's definitely something more creative and musically Inspiring about him now. I Agree you don't need to read sheet music or have a PHD in music theory but understanding basic chord progressions and playing an instrument won't hurt you. Especially when tracking musicians. Being able to talk and explain your self with knowledge and in a language they'll understand can only help for the better.
His beats were much better when he sampled. His beats have lost the rawness they used to have. I've seen a lot of producers music change for the worse when the learn keys and decide to play everything. You should never think about music theory when being creative, at least in hiphop since that is what I do.
Old 25th November 2012
Hobbs_Won
I don't think his music took a turn for the worse....just different. It definitely deviated from Hip Hop. But it isn't worse. Just not really rugged ****.
Old 4th July 2013
aint this the tool that made drakes music ? It very much sounds like it lol
📝 Reply