The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The 808 snare...how do Southern Producers get it so THICK?
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Nut

The 808 snare...how do Southern Producers get it so THICK?

This is something I've been trying to figure out for years, DJ Paul from Three 6 Mafia has one of the best 808 snares I've ever heard, it pretty much gets your attention instantly...listen to these tracks, and you'll hear what I mean!

DJ Toomp also has a very distinctive snare (10,5,4, and 1 in particular)

I've probably downloaded thousands of 808 kits over the past 5 years, but still haven't found anything that sounds as thick as Paul, or Toomp's snares...
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

hey what's up. I usually pitch my snares to sound thicker for example
my first sanre is the c note right.. with my second snare I pitch it down a 5th then my third snare I pitch it down octave...don't forget to eq out the excess bass u kno you should have it then I usually do this with 808 snares and it works for me
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Head

I forgot where that snare comes from originally but its not from the a 808. I have it and I used on bunch of new orleans records. My boy runs his snares through a GML pre and then through a 1176.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

1st clip is a tuned down 808 snr ...

2nd Clip sounds like an 808 snr and clap on top of it ....

3rd clip sounds like a combo clap , not necessarly 808, maybe a little snr to give it weight might be thrown in .....

These guys have some decent samples of that stuff ....

Goldbaby
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Nut

Bump up your eq in the Low mid range.....alot.
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Maniac

One thing about toomps production is he uses the mpc 60. If you sample a drum into a 60 it will add thickness then add in a pre, some outboard compression and eq and it gets even thicker! One other thing is the source of his samples he could have sampled them drums off of vinyl!

Last edited by DROPKICK; 25th October 2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: spelling error!
Old 25th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPKICK View Post
One thing about toomps production is he uses the mpc 60. If you sample a drum into a 60 it will add thickness then add in a pre, some outboard compression and eq and it gets even thicker! One other thing is the source of his samples he could have sampled them drums off of vinyl!
If you want to hear an 808 sampled into a the MPC60 check out MPC60 Vol 1 (TR): The MPC60 page

Regards
Hugo
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

I often stick Steve M Massy Tape Head AU on snares & kicks, it helps a little along with tuning and layers.
smassey.com
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Always loved that 36 Mafia snare.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pat View Post
This is something I've been trying to figure out for years, DJ Paul from Three 6 Mafia has one of the best 808 snares I've ever heard,

I've probably downloaded thousands of 808 kits over the past 5 years, but still haven't found anything that sounds as thick as Paul, or Toomp's snares...
this is not rocket science. remember when u hearing these records they also have been mixed and mastered by real engineers and they start off with good samples. Or do what producers have been doing for years- get the instrumentals and sample the snares u like off the song.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Pitching down and layering with other snares. Add harmonic saturation via real hardware...blend to taste!

Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

FatPat,
Its called a motif es and a little compression.

One,
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Head

Here's what you need.......
Attached Files

Luda-Snare.wav (78.0 KB, 14605 views)

Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound View Post
FatPat,
Its called a motif es and a little compression.

One,

Checked your website. You have good rates for budget people. Nice studio too. Trying to up your clientel list eh?
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Addict

everything is relative (in a mix). big sounds only big when it´s next to small. fat versus thin...get the point

other than that I always try to

1) use my ears
2) use my imagination (visualize)

-v
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
Checked your website. You have good rates for budget people. Nice studio too. Trying to up your clientel list eh?
I specialize in hip hop/rap....exactly trying to up the clientel! Plus alot of my clients are tight on funds and I own all my gear outright so why not cut em a break. I have done mixes for bonecrusher/Frank Buduz/Ed Rock/Def Rock and so many more... Tony Gillis (JAYZ, Prince and so on) formarly of the hit factor says my mixings incredible so I must be doing something right lol. I do alot of internet business from NY and so on because I am so cheap! Check out the track "a hustle is a hustle" and "you already know" on my websites music page. Let me know what you think. Both have been mastered by tony gillis.
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound View Post
I specialize in hip hop/rap....exactly trying to up the clientel! Plus alot of my clients are tight on funds and I own all my gear outright so why not cut em a break. I have done mixes for bonecrusher/Frank Buduz/Ed Rock/Def Rock and so many more... Tony Gillis (JAYZ, Prince and so on) formarly of the hit factor says my mixings incredible so I must be doing something right lol. I do alot of internet business from NY and so on because I am so cheap! Check out the track "a hustle is a hustle" and "you already know" on my websites music page. Let me know what you think. Both have been mastered by tony gillis.

That is the business! The songs sound great. If you aren't swamped with work already I'm sure you will be soon especially with a little marketing. I'm sure to an artist on a budget you are a gold mine!
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear

lol thanks for the kind words!
Old 26th October 2008
Gear Head

pitch ur snares lower the layer them with heavy snares
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
hey what's up. I usually pitch my snares to sound thicker for example
my first sanre is the c note right.. with my second snare I pitch it down a 5th then my third snare I pitch it down octave...don't forget to eq out the excess bass u kno you should have it then I usually do this with 808 snares and it works for me
could anyone with an mpc explain this theory where it's just numbers for pitching I'm assuming the first snare that he explains as c is the snare at its original state then
down - 5 for the fifth
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonebeats View Post
I forgot where that snare comes from originally but its not from the a 808. I have it and I used on bunch of new orleans records. My boy runs his snares through a GML pre and then through a 1176.
You must be talking about Craig
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony starks View Post
could anyone with an mpc explain this theory where it's just numbers for pitching I'm assuming the first snare that he explains as c is the snare at its original state then
down - 5 for the fifth
The fifth of c is G
so i do it liek this

the first layer snare is on C
the second would be G
the third snare would be the C lower than the original C or octave Lower

I forget the number of semitones, but i will look that up and try to get back to ya
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Addict

Both the clips u posted sounds like the snares are layerd with a clap to me.

Here's one a producer left on our 4000.
Attached Files

Banner Klap-Snr 1.wav (76.0 KB, 12984 views)

Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasoards View Post
Both the clips u posted sounds like the snares are layerd with a clap to me.

Here's one a producer left on our 4000.
yeah ur right they are layerd with claps, but there is a way to do them without layers of claps and 808 rims
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

layer an 808 and a 909 snare together...

or any other combination of snares, claps, snaps, rimshots, synth and real snares, and whatever else... Layer and blend them until you find the sound you want.

Play with compression and eq. Or the old gated reverb thing. And don't be afraid to play with time stretch (of the sample itself, not the song). a slowed down snare is real thick. Ever listen to Screw? Three 6 records used a lot of this.

Remember that a lot of that also falls on the mixing engineer...

Man, I really gotta post a clip of the drums to the song I just did with Layzie... everyone goes crazy over them drums. But my kick is like 2 different kick samples, layered with a short and a long 808. And the snare, well, is like 4 or 5 things layered and blended as well... A lot of acrobatic eq'ing and presicion compression...
Old 29th October 2008
Lives for gear

Pitch it and combine it with a Linndrum (i have a Forat Electronics re-issue of it) and hell dude you get some snappy snare but also a hell of thickness. Sometimes i have people saying its almost a kick
Old 29th October 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
The fifth of c is G
so i do it liek this

the first layer snare is on C
the second would be G
the third snare would be the C lower than the original C or octave Lower

I forget the number of semitones, but i will look that up and try to get back to ya
Please Do
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Maniac

well im always askin myself how he gets such a clap+snare?

YouTube - Evil Pimp - Light Up Da Green Green (Snippet)
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

I can get the same results, more or less by just layering different drums. I don't replicate drums I hear but many sound similar to these. Take drums with different "strengths", a very thick snare, then take a hard snare, the a clap. Pitch each, if need be, until it sounds the way you want. Obviously that might not get you that exact sound but it will probably get you something you like and is your own.

I personally almost always layer 3 "snares". They may be real snares, it may be a snare, a clap, and a rim shot, it may be a percussion sound, whatever sounds right. Then pitch the one with the most low end down a bit, pitch another up, whatever you need. Tuning your drums is very overlooked IMO. People know about layering but this is where you really get the sound you want and the power as well. Then eq and compress (i only do it on the buss for all drums) and you are good.
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 View Post
Bump up your eq in the Low mid range.....alot.
Yep. Between 250hz-400hz usually. Narrow bandwidth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search