The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fantom G or Virus TI or...?
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fantom G or Virus TI or...?

i know these are two different beasts but what would be the pros and cons of each one? obviously the fantom has a lot of instrument sounds that the TI doesnt have...but i have gigasampler and a lot of really nice instruments for it...so a realistic string patch isnt really what im after if u catch my drift....i cant decide which would be better for my setup..i have a ton of softsynths already

the more thoughts the better please shoot away..thanks in advance!

also!

can either of these intergrate with my computer and bounce down with my cubase not in real time but as fast as my computer bounces down? Because on cubase i dont need to bounce down in real time i can bounce quicker.

THANKS!
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a virus c.The ti has more voices and integrates with your cpu.
I have read reviews on the Fantom and it looks pretty great.You should go and check them both out if you can.Read some more reviews here at GS and decide for yourself.My guess is you;ll go for the Ti.I think its a bit less xpensive.Good Luck!

Dan P
Old 13th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for the tip dan...do u know if the TI can bounce with ur computer like i was talking about in my post? also how else does the TI intergrate with your computer?
Old 13th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You have to bounce in real time with the TI. You can connect it via usb then use the virus control plugin like you would do any other soft synth.

Except that you can have sixteen different sounds & apply different effects to each one with the onboard effects on the TI. So all of this will use zero cpu. You can also use 3 different outputs in case you want to use different external effects.
Old 14th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
id be lying if i didnt say the G sounds larger than life

so... im gonna tell you to buy the TI for that reason alone
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
tony is the G8 and the g6 the same minus the keyboard?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
dude Fantom and Virus are different beasts.
Fantom is a romper and Virus is a VA
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
G6,G7, and G8 are identical with the exception of number of keys
the G8s 88 keys being weighted of course

as to your original query, more info about what type of music you are doing is always
helpful.
i have both keyboards and wish i had never gotten the Fantom,not because there is anything remotely wrong with it but i just don't need it
doesn't suit my workflow (costly mistake on my part)

i love the TI and it does fit into the way i work

so be very mindful before you pull the trigger on any piece of gear, ask yourself
how does this thing fit into my current and future methods of creating whatever it is you create

just some late nite advice from someone who didn't ask the question himself

good luck on your journey
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you must not use the Fantom much... there is so so so so so much wrong with it.. even after the recent path update. some of the most simple tasks are ****ed up ...

roland has NO beta testing now i swear ... hopefully the new update handles most of it...

we've just kind of ignored a lot of it because we sequence in logic after a rough sequencing on the fantom but man... you should be able to do basic **** that you just cant.

sounds great tho ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
G6,G7, and G8 are identical with the exception of number of keys
the G8s 88 keys being weighted of course

as to your original query, more info about what type of music you are doing is always
helpful.
i have both keyboards and wish i had never gotten the Fantom,not because there is anything remotely wrong with it but i just don't need it
doesn't suit my workflow (costly mistake on my part)

i love the TI and it does fit into the way i work

so be very mindful before you pull the trigger on any piece of gear, ask yourself
how does this thing fit into my current and future methods of creating whatever it is you create

just some late nite advice from someone who didn't ask the question himself

good luck on your journey
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
pick whatever inspires you to make great music. That and whatever would just looks sweet with your rig
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Logic 8 and Virtual Synths hehhehheh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i don't use it for sequencing at all
i use logic.
basically the fantom is a 3500 dollar controller (for me)

i am hoping to sell it sooner rather than later.

however for folks that use workstations there are workarounds to the various
omissions people have encountered using the G series
but lets face it folks dont spend hard earned cash to find fixes, workarounds or be
beta testers for huge corporations that seemingly dont give a fig about their customers.

as i mentioned before

do your homework before you bust out that credit card
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darm View Post
dude Fantom and Virus are different beasts.
Fantom is a romper and Virus is a VA

but cant the fantom do pretty much everything the virus can do synth wise?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeez View Post
but cant the fantom do pretty much everything the virus can do synth wise?
I don't think u can do with Fantom same much like with TI!
You should know that there is no live instruments on TI.
But it has twice more synth sounds!
Also TI has more powerful arpeggiator.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i understand that the TI has way more presets but im talking about what it can do synth wise...a more powerful arp isnt really a big deal to me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i understand that the TI has way more presets but im talking about what it can do synth wise...a more powerful arp isnt really a big deal to me
the fantom is not a synth its a workstation whereas the Virus T.I. is a digital synthesizer capable of making every sound imaginable. Yeah and they are loads of presets. I have never heard better presets on any other synth.

Although roland makes some great supersaws nothing compares to virus's hypersaws- and thats just the beginning.
Old 14th September 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If your looking for Synth Edge +Cpu integration the Virus is the way to go. If your just really into bread & butter Synth + Workstation go to Guitar Center and spend a couple hours with the Fantom-G, also the Motif-XS. You can do basic programming on the Fantom. Its like comparing Apples and Peaches.Try it before you Buy it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
If your looking for Synth Edge +Cpu integration the Virus is the way to go. If your just really into bread & butter Synth + Workstation go to Guitar Center and spend a couple hours with the Fantom-G, also the Motif-XS. You can do basic programming on the Fantom. Its like comparing Apples and Peaches.Try it before you Buy it.
fantom and motif=sample based workstation... not synth. Roland V-Synth is a synth integrated upgrade to the fantom
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFernandez View Post
Logic 8 and Virtual Synths hehhehheh
I love my Logic though!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i appreciate all the help once again...

i know that the fantom isnt marketed as a pure synth but when you look at its features what is it lacking that the TI can do and the fantom can't? from what i can tell it has all the typical synthesizer features...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i appreciate all the help once again...

i know that the fantom isnt marketed as a pure synth but when you look at its features what is it lacking that the TI can do and the fantom can't? from what i can tell it has all the typical synthesizer features...
dude you keep repeating and we keep answering... its not a synth bro. You like the fantom cop it, you like the Virus then cop that. Go try em out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hahah i know but you guys havent pointed out what makes the TI a synth and the fantom a rompler only and not a synth...so far the only difference that has been pointed out has been that the TI has a more powerful ARP

from what i can tell the fantom has envelopes u can edit as the TI does..fx as the TI does...osc as the TI does...i just dont understand what the TI can do that the fantom cant...i understand that they're marketed differently...im just not sure i see the real difference...

i'd appreciate a headsup...not trying to be rude.

what im trying to ask is..is there anything is the archetecture of the fantom that makes it incapable of what the TI is able to do? from what i can tell there isn't...but im not sure..thats why im asking
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hahah i know but you guys havent pointed out what makes the TI a synth and the fantom a rompler only and not a synth...so far the only difference that has been pointed out has been that the TI has a more powerful ARP

from what i can tell the fantom has envelopes u can edit as the TI does..fx as the TI does...osc as the TI does...i just dont understand what the TI can do that the fantom cant...i understand that they're marketed differently...im just not sure i see the real difference...

i'd appreciate a headsup...not trying to be rude.

what im trying to ask is..is there anything is the archetecture of the fantom that makes it incapable of what the TI is able to do? from what i can tell there isn't...but im not sure..thats why im asking
a synthesis engine bro...

The Virus TI is the first hardware synthesizer with sample-accurate timing and delay-compensated connection to your sequencer

> WaveTable Oscillators for a completely new array of sounds. WaveTable and conventional Virus oscillators and filters can be mixed

> HyperSaw™ oscillators with up to 9 sawtooths - each with parallel sub oscillator per voice

Independent delay and reverb for all 16 multi mode slots

> 129 parallel effects. There is reverb and delay, chorus, phaser, ring modulator, distortion, 3 band EQ and the Analog Boost bass enhancer

> 2 multi-mode filters (HP, LP, BP, BS) and the Analog Filter (modelled after the MiniMoog™ cascade filter with 6-24 dB Slope and self-oscillation)

> Dedicated remote mode turns the Virus TI into an universal remote control for VST / AU plug-ins and external synthesizers.

> 6 balanced outputs with +4 dB level and switchable soft limiting algorithm. Studio grade 192 khz D/A converters with S/PDIF digital I/O. 2x24 bit inputs. Surround sound capabilities

Tap tempo button. The algorithm is based on Access‘ Sync Xtreme technology
> Programmable arpeggiator pattern for every patch

> Knob quantise for creating stepped controller movements. The stepping automatically syncs to the Virus clock or an incoming MIDI clock

> 3 LFOs with 68 waveforms to choose from. 2 super fast ADSTR envelopes

> Extended memory: 512 RAM patches and 2048 ROM patches (rewritable)

> Adaptive control smoothing for jitter-free modulations on all important parameters.

> New multi mode with embedded patches

> Compatible with USB 2.0 specifications, USB and High-Speed USB devices

> Premium quality light-weighted keyboard with 61 keys, velocity response and aftertouch. 2 pedal inputs

The fantom has very little of the above. It has filters and envelops that control the samples but no actual synthesis. You cna manipulate sampled patches but can't start with an oscillator and synthesize from scratch. The Virus is the most powerful and my favorite digital synth hands down.

Kinda surprised that you didnt already know this considering you have a major label credit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
they are both synths really, one is a subtractive synth modeller (the Virus), the other is sample & synthesis (the Fantom). The virus will basically let you program sounds from scratch, the fantom lets you apply a basic set of similar modulations to its built in waveforms, which are essentially a bunch of samples. it still allows for a load of fiddling though IM sure, just not as versatile as the virus when it comes to making pure synthy noises to your own specification.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmaster View Post
they are both synths really, one is a subtractive synth modeller (the Virus), the other is sample & synthesis (the Fantom). The virus will basically let you program sounds from scratch, the fantom lets you apply a basic set of similar modulations to its built in waveforms, which are essentially a bunch of samples. it still allows for a load of fiddling though IM sure, just not as versatile as the virus when it comes to making pure synthy noises to your own specification.
fantom is not a synth...
Old 15th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ok thats whatsup appreciate the info
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
depends on what u have in your setup id say, u say u already have gigastudio so u have stuff like strings and all those realistic sounds covered...

its nice to have something like a fantom for just the "bread and butter" , thats why so many in the industry have fantom racks, motif, tritons, all the roland 1080, 2080, 3080 , 5080 etc.emu proteus 2000, emu mo phatt etc...
but still all those stuff above is kinda like putting nexus against something like vanguard. with nexus u can expand by adding sounds, but with vanguard u can make ur own sounds.

so if u need bread and butter and ur not to fond of programming patches i guess a fantom is the way to go.

if u want to make ur own sounds go with the virus.

my vote goes for the virus.

anyone here have a beat with the virus on it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lospat123 View Post
depends on what u have in your setup id say, u say u already have gigastudio so u have stuff like strings and all those realistic sounds covered...

its nice to have something like a fantom for just the "bread and butter" , thats why so many in the industry have fantom racks, motif, tritons, all the roland 1080, 2080, 3080 , 5080 etc.emu proteus 2000, emu mo phatt etc...
but still all those stuff above is kinda like putting nexus against something like vanguard. with nexus u can expand by adding sounds, but with vanguard u can make ur own sounds.

so if u need bread and butter and ur not to fond of programming patches i guess a fantom is the way to go.

if u want to make ur own sounds go with the virus.

my vote goes for the virus.

anyone here have a beat with the virus on it?
pretty much all my beats man ... at least all the ones with synth lines
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
pretty much all my beats man ... at least all the ones with synth lines

can we here some [this thread is really attracting mne to get a virus ti
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
fantom is not a synth...
i guess it depends on your definition (really a choice of semantics). No it isnt an analogue subtractive synth or a digital modeller of analogue subtractive synthesis like the virus, this isnt all that is meant by the term synthesis however. as i clearly said, it uses s&s (sample and synthesis), which means that sampled waveforms are used instead of a linear oscillator to produce the fundamental sound, which is then modulated by LFOs and filters etc. to produce a synthesised sound just like in an analogue type subtractive synth. (in fact if we are being really pedantic true samplers are synths too, especially if they have filter and LFO options which most do.)

dictionary definition of a synthesizer:
'an electronic musical instrument, typically operated by a keyboard, producing a wide variety of sounds by generating and combining signals of different frequencies.' in the case of the Fantome, the sounds of different frequencies are provided by digital waveforms.
πŸ“ Reply