The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comfortable (Mixing) Headphones Studio Headphones
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Comfortable (Mixing) Headphones

I've searched and read a few threads — some good info to be had, but specifically want to ask the Rap + Hip Hop forum crowd:

- I need to buy a COMFORTABLE set of headphones, something that I can wear longer than an hour that won't turn my external ear to painful squashed tender cartilage

- Will be used time to time to check mixes, but it's mainly for low volume use when writing (while the girlfriend sleeps heh)

Thanks all.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

i like the sony mdr 7506's. i wouldn't sleep in them but they're fairly cozy. thumbsup
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
i like the sony mdr 7506's. i wouldn't sleep in them but they're fairly cozy. thumbsup
Quickest thread response goes to....

dhiltonlittle (cue applause)

Thanks
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

PLEASE get sennheiser hd280s
these are REALLY comfy for closed-ear and they are my phones of choice in any range.

they may take a few weeks to wear in
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

i dont mix on headphone what so ever, but if you wanna talk comfort and sound...
Audio-Technica M50's feel great and have great isolation. they're what i have in my booth for artist.

i also have both the other headphone mentioned along with 171's.. i still choose the m50's.. my hd280's one side when out which is cool cuz i let some singers use them b/c some need to hear themselfs vs the monitored signal.
singers always seem to hit notes better with out needing melodyne with just 1 headphone or 1 in hear monitor
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Sony 7506.
For me,one of the best ever all the way around.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

i have the sennheiser HD600. I really like them. Open though. Should be fine unless you in the same room with a sleeping girlfriend. About 200 hrs of break in time. I'm looking for a closed one though and something cheaper.

Sirocco you really like the hd280's I have a couple of akg one semi open and one closed the they just sound like dog **** compared to the HD600
[IMG]http://tbn6-beta.google.com/images?q=tbn:yRLJ6fnl9r4OoM:http://coreyfineran.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sign_dog****_72dpi.jpg[/IMG]
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

I love my AKG K240´s. Comfort was very important for me when I chose them.Actually
the most comfortable headphones I have ever used. No problem to wear them all day.
I like the sound and my mixes translate OK. Very open which I think is good because
you don´t get that claustrophobic feeling. There´s an MK II version now. Don´t know
about that. I have the original ones...
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
I love my AKG K240´s. Comfort was very important for me when I chose them.Actually
the most comfortable headphones I have ever used. No problem to wear them all day.
I like the sound and my mixes translate OK. Very open which I think is good because
you don´t get that claustrophobic feeling. There´s an MK II version now. Don´t know
about that. I have the original ones...
271s are great for the closed back phones.
feel even better than 240's, but they are a little pricey
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
these are REALLY comfy for closed-ear and they are my phones of choice in any range.

these things are nowhere near close to being comfortable. ive had mine for over a year and they still squeeze the **** outta my ears. gettin a little better now but i wouldnt recommend them for long periods of use. and no, i dont have an abnormally sized head.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchong View Post
these things are nowhere near close to being comfortable. ive had mine for over a year and they still squeeze the **** outta my ears. gettin a little better now but i wouldnt recommend them for long periods of use. and no, i dont have an abnormally sized head.
I see this a LOT when it comes to the hd280's. Some find them comfy, some find them very uncomfortable.

My problem is — I have BIG ears

I think I'll just hit a store and try some 280's for an hour or so.

I'll take philly's and dhiltonlittle's advice on board and try the 7506's also.

Might give the AKG 240 and AT m40 and m50's a shot too

Anyone else?
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Head

i really like my BeyerdynamicsDT 770 PRO -very comfortable and sounds great!
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Totally enclose the ear...?

Can you get headphones that totally enclose the ear, meaning they don't actually touch your ear at all, so the cups sit on your head around the ears?
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Sony 7506.
For me,one of the best ever all the way around.
+1 I know I love mine
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Sony 7506 are the industry standard headphones. These won't burn your internal ear, nor your external ear ^^.

But if you're looking for something at least AS GOOD and as precise as the Sony, forget about beyerdynamics, seinnheiser, or AKG

I mean, they're good headphones, but they don't get even close to the Ultrasone Pro 750. I've tested them (and only the 550 version!), and it's just mind blowing how clear, precsise, consistent and realistic the sound is... Mixes translate like a charm with these. And the package includes spare ear-pads for your precious ears. I'm a fan really :

Ultrasone Pro 750
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear
Those HD600s are the least comfortable thing I have ever put around my ears, personally. They sound good though, compromise worth it imo.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

thumbsup +1
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

yeah the hd600 aren't horrible but i guess they could be more confortable. The sound is very detailed. btw the AKG K240 are light weight and comfy but sound like **** compared to the HD600 i have them both and it's like night and day.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Audio Technica ATH-M40fs

Comfy!! Even when you gotta have them on all day.
Easily replacable parts if anything gets worn out or broken.
Great bass extension without sounding over hyped.

Definitely worth looking into.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Nut

I am using AKG 601 and found em pretty comfortable but I'm sure there is something better quality and comfort wise... I'm not very much into headphones mixing, just using headphones after completing the mix to hear how it sounds on that
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
I would agree with this...I use these in my booth and no others!!!

But for mixing i think ill always use my Akg 240's...their the most comfortable ive found...although ive never used the 270's...i like the open can for mixing...closed makes it more difficult for me to hear everything properly.

The only downside to my akg's is the cups on the ear piece's are staring to crack finally after 5 years of use(due to sweat and moisture)i used them in the booth before i got my senn's and that was a mistake i shoudlnt have made......im considering buying a brand new pair because of this...still really nice sound tho and id tell anyone to go buy them.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I'm shopping for headphones as well.

Here's a list of all the top headphone choices I've compiled:

Sennheiser USA - HD650 - Product Details

Sennheiser USA - HD600 - Product Details

Ultrasone

Headphones

Headphones

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-M50 : Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

AKG Personal Audio - K 701

There's also Stax and Grado which I don't know much about.

The list above is pretty much most of the "usual suspects"

Here's another place you can get some headphone info:
Head-Fi.org: Headphones, iPod earphones, portable audio, MP3 players, high-end audio

Good luck
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Nothing is more comfortable than the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (80ohm version).

The ultrasone's are great but not really comfortable, as they're way to heavy.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

many thanks too peeder and thrill factor for the good advice

i use now

Audio Technica ATH-M40fs for tracking

and Denon ADH 5000 for mixing
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gilla View Post
Nothing is more comfortable than the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (80ohm version).

The ultrasone's are great but not really comfortable, as they're way to heavy.
Thumbs up to that one......You can have these headphones on for hours and and with a nice lil headphone amp they sound sweet.
Old 14th September 2008
I think the Sennheiser HD595 is one of the most comfortable headphones, although the HD650 is sonically superior.
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

I found the Grado labs the best sounding and WORST fitting.

Sennheiser and the Audio-Technicas are my personal working favorites.
But, headphones are much like monitors...
Old 14th September 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I found the Grado labs the best sounding and WORST fitting.
Lol, not the first time I heard that.
I have Grado sr80's, and yes they sound good, and yes even after you adjust to them, they are somewhat uncomfortable for long periods of use.
Old 15th September 2008
Gear Head

I mean, they're good headphones, but they don't get even close to the Ultrasone Pro 750. I've tested them (and only the 550 version!), and it's just mind blowing how clear, precsise, consistent and realistic the sound is... Mixes translate like a charm with these. And the package includes spare ear-pads for your precious ears. I'm a fan really :

Ultrasone Pro 750[/quote]

I use these too, and they're super comfortable and sound amazing.
There's a lot of definition in the upper regions, but what I like these best for is checking the low end. I find that a kick can often sound great coming out of my monitors, but can sound crap in these headphones. When I put these on, they're gonna really tell me truth about that kick.
If your low end sounds good in these, they'll sound good ANYWHERE. They're great for a blast of truth.
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

Let me know if anyone finds anything that's actually more comfy and sounds better and less fatiguing than the Denon AH-D2000.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search