The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comfortable (Mixing) Headphones Studio Headphones
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm still deciding — sp many options (which is a good thing).

Gotta get to the 'big smoke' soon and have a hands-on, err, heads-on, look / feel / listen...
Old 16th September 2008
For those of you that like the Proline 750s, did you listen to the 2500s? What do you think of the difference in sound? I wonder how these would compare to the Beyer DT880s and Senn's HD600s.
Old 10th December 2008
Here for the gear

i love my sony mdr 7506's, although they hurt your ears like a mofo after about 2 hours of wearing them. i also have a pair of ultrasone proline 750's and i can wear them for the whole day. no problem.
Old 11th December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Audio Technica ATH-M40fs

Comfy!! Even when you gotta have them on all day.
Easily replacable parts if anything gets worn out or broken.
Great bass extension without sounding over hyped.

Definitely worth looking into.
Where can I get some replacement earpads?
Old 11th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Let me know if anyone finds anything that's actually more comfy and sounds better and less fatiguing than the Denon AH-D2000.
A good pair of nearfields?heh

Sorry...couldn't resist.
Old 11th December 2008
Gear Addict

hd 280s are nice, if you have the green get the 650s, best ive ever had even before the cardas cable upgrade
Old 12th December 2008
Gear Head

- Its not really possible to do a good mix on headphones, it always sounds terrible through speakers!
Old 14th January 2009
Resurrecting this thread...

I'm definitely weary of the responses I might get, since many of the responses thus far are utter bullsh:t

I own 7506's and HD280s...

Both are a TERRIBLE option for any extended period. I have very small ears, so I can't blame it on "oh, they squish my big ears"

Also, the Sony makes everything sound GREAT (not what I want) and I'm not super fond of the HD280's sound either (although what I do on there, does always sound good when I through it up on the monitors)

I want to spend less than $400 (would be nice to do it for $200-$250)

The most important thing is that they're super comfortable and not physically or aurally fatiguing...

Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD600
BeyerDynamic DT770
Denon AH-D2000

Anyone own these are anything else that is worthy to produce on (and some non-crucial mixing!)

The catch is -- can you work them for long periods? I mean hours and hours? (with low volume of course!)

Please help me with my purchase -- I have no where to go "try them on".. if I don't like what I buy, I'll have to sell used or put up with it :(
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

I own a pair of AKG K701 (You can get them at $253 from DjDeals.com).
They are splendid. They do have a long burn-in period - 300hrs+.
They have a wide soundstage, and are warm, soundwise, not sterile.

The problem is that they don't feel to me as the most comfortable headphones, but I am one that strives for quality rather than comfort.
Some people stated that these are very comfortable. I guess it depends on each person's preference.

Really splendid headphones.

Cheers.
Old 14th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graal View Post
I own a pair of AKG K701 (You can get them at $253 from DjDeals.com).
They are splendid. They do have a long burn-in period - 300hrs+.
They have a wide soundstage, and are warm, soundwise, not sterile.

The problem is that they don't feel to me as the most comfortable headphones, but I am one that strives for quality rather than comfort.
Some people stated that these are very comfortable. I guess it depends on each person's preference.

Really splendid headphones.

Cheers.
Heard good and bad things about these, thx for offering your thoughts.. I will add these to my considered list!

Is there a standard way to burn in headphones without using them?? eg, just leave them plugged in playing pink noise and mid-volume for days and days?
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

sony 7506's over here

i use the sony's when tracking sometimes for critical listening and for panning checking but my engineer never uses headphones for mixing until he's almost done just to double/triple check things so I can't comment on whether or not they're useful for all-out mixing
Old 15th January 2009
Gear Maniac

i've been liking the equation audio rp21's...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/equ...review-233707/
Old 15th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesp04 View Post
i use the sony's when tracking sometimes for critical listening and for panning checking but my engineer never uses headphones for mixing until he's almost done just to double/triple check things so I can't comment on whether or not they're useful for all-out mixing
They're terrible.. they are super hyped (everything sounds good in them) and they physically hurt your ears after awhile (quite comfortable for short periods tho)

but ya, their sound fatigues your ears quickly...
Old 15th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi View Post
This sounds very promising!!

How do you find the comfort on your ears after long sessions? Have ever worn them 4+ hours?
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear
I've had my Senn 600s for a minute now, and I may have posted in this thread that they are uncomfortable... but now at this point, I don't even notice it. They're fine.

Hope that helps.
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

ANYONE SAY BEYERDYNAMIC DT770....

CALLING ALL EARS heh
Old 15th January 2009
Gear Addict

I got the Ultrasone 750 proline headphones, they're like two pillows on my ears. Damn comfy! The sound great too, very detailed and especially good for checking that low end detail.
Old 15th January 2009
Here for the gear

I have the Beyer DT 990 pro and I like them a lot!! (hello people btw).
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
PLEASE get sennheiser hd280s
these are REALLY comfy for closed-ear and they are my phones of choice in any range.

they may take a few weeks to wear in
+1 I love em, so I bought a couple more!
Old 16th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDiSanto View Post
+1 I love em, so I bought a couple more!
The Senn HD280s are bad recommendation for this thread.. I own 2 pairs.. they're fine for tracking, and short time (a few hours max) production/mixing

NOT comfy for long periods.. physically hurt ur ears
Old 12th March 2009
Gear Maniac

delayed response...

yes i have worn these for over four hours. actually done this pretty often. never even thought about them getting uncomfortable. and when i do finally take them off i don't feel like i had just been walking in a vacuum for 4 hours.
Old 12th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes i have worn these for over four hours. actually done this pretty often. never even thought about them getting uncomfortable. and when i do finally take them off i don't feel like i had just been walking in a vacuum for 4 hours.
What cans?
Old 12th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
posted earlier...
Old 12th March 2009
Lives for gear

Ohh yeah sorry. It's early here - time for coffee...
Old 13th March 2009
Here for the gear

wow, no one mentioned the Grado's...are we in the Low End Theory forum dfegad

But to be fair, he did say comfortable....but these gotta be rated some of the best mixing headphones of all times...Screw comfortable, lets go for accurate and suffer for the cause of the greater goodtutt
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaytrixx View Post
wow, no one mentioned the Grado's...
re-read the thread and you'll find a surprise

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search