The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your "A - HA" Moment Studio Monitors
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Your "A - HA" Moment

Have any of you experienced that revelation or that "A HA" moment where you suddenly realized after much frustration and experimentation, the answer to getting the result you were after while recording and/or mixing?
And please let us know what that moment was.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Oh this is too easy!

Well not really but...

The most RECENT one was when I bussed my sampled drums track to my Fostex Model 20 and hit the tape at + 6 dbs. Ran that back into Reaper (all in "reel" time lol) and said WTF??? This **** sounds so good I don't know why anybody would do otherwise! AHA this is how they do it! They meaning DJ Premier, Dr. Dre, at some point The Rza, DJ Muggs and the old school hip hop producers and engineers.

Damn that was my moment this year.

That and trying my summing mixer out for the first time. God damn was that eye opening. The first thing that did was make me realize how inferior my last album sounded (mixed on a lowend Yamaha board) compared to how the new one is GOING to sound. Man oh man, can't wait to mix it. (Still tracking).

Peace
Illumination
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

When I started finally hearing in milliseconds. I was just focusing on the attack of compression. Going from the slowest attack to the fastest attack will looping a snare. I was slamming the **** out of the comp just so I could hear what it was doing as the attack changed. Hearing the transient of the snare go from a pop to a dull squashing sound....that's was the key to helping me understand compression. A-Ha!!!

Another one was when I finally figured out how to make my delays sound more distant and transparent. I was trying to make my delays sound like Angels and Airwaves first record. TLA had the coolest delays on that record. Once I started filtering the highs, lows, and sometimes mids....I was like A-HA!
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

life is one big A-HA moment imo but...

i recall my approach to mixing (i'm not an engineer) totally changed when i visited this local studio and this dude explained to me how a mixing engineer will become almost superfluous if your composing, arranging and sound/sample picking game is up to par.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear
I agree with the man above regarding compression. When I finally learned to actually HEAR the difference between a fast and slow attack. Also understanding how the release time affects a mix on the 2 buss. What pumping is, and how to achieve it and use it.

But the REAL AH-HA moment was when I purchased my 1st monitors upgrading from Edirol computer desktop speakers. Was like buying a new set of ears. At that moment I could actually hear things I had never heard before. I could hear what the compression was doing, I could hear the **** reverb tails, and I could diffrentiate between good and bad plug-ins. Room acoustics were a nice momemt as well, but not like ah-HA... it was like... duh.

Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
life is one big A-HA moment imo
Word!

- c
Old 2nd September 2008
When I learned how NOT to over-work a mix.

Less is more.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

My A-HA moment was when I first heard "Take On Me" heh
Old 2nd September 2008
Gear Guru

wow, so many...

discovering the joys of buss compression

discovering parallel compression

learning that sometime you really need to do extreme things that don't seem correct, yet sound so good.

i have a lot of AHA moments, still all the time.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
LoL!!
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

These were some big ones for me back in the day:::

-the day I consciously tried to stop boosting eqs all the time and start cutting instead...real eye opener.

-the first good converter I got really floored me add to that learning to leave headroom in the mix...wow!

-the first time I had the guts to open up a cheap mic and 'mod' it.
the difference was very noticeable.

-The first time I worked with a REALLY good singer. I was amazed at how little work I had to do to have her sound good in the mix.

-The day I realized some vocalist just have a really, naturally bad sounding (timbre) voice and no amount of tricks will help.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Gotta couple of them.

-when I realized how much easier and quicker mixing can be when you've thought out your mix ahead of time, especially as far as what to keep stereo/mono/in the forefront/in the background/highly compressed/not compressed at all. Mic proximity and stage gain belongs in this one too. Very important to capturing a great sounding vocal....as oppose to an ok one.

- when I realized how leveling had a lot to do with how big and hard kicks and snares hit/ and how much better you can make a mix with just adjusting levels vs slapping a compressor or eq on it.

-when I started understanding and knowing freqs when I hear them and knowing when things should be cut or added, how much and where.

I know it's more...but I'm sleepy.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Great stuff guys...keep 'em coming.BTW..my fave aha moment was NOT hearing Thats The Way I Like It by KC And The Sunshine Band
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Many...

When trashing my crappy mini Bellari pre for an Amek board.

When getting my stuff mixed by a great engineer.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

When i first learned how to EQ the mix buss.........correctly! A-HA!!!!!
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
Where's the Sandman when you need him???? dfegadLOL HAHAHAHAA

But that was the cool pop song many moons ago.

Seriously though, my "A-HA" (no pun intended) moment came hell of a lot over this past year. I had a-ha's where I thought I didn't need a noise gate.
Hell, even back in 2005, I thought mastering wasn't necessary with the nasty grainy mixes that I created out of FL Studio. I was very pompous, stubborn and even lazy at times to dive into sonic mastering.

I got my first taste of mastering when I just threw a basic Ozone 3 preset on the master bus on a track in FL Studio and was wow'ed/floored. Then I was like, "Ok ok let me get off of high horse and start reading up on Bob Katz".

Then I started "A-ha-ing" like crazy while reading up on Bob Katz and his methodology of madness. Next, after taking his advice, i started "a-ha-ing" like a muthafukker once I tweaked a knob in x-degrees (or x decibels per octave). Wow, mastering is so fun when it has so so much control over your sound; yet - it can be so deadly - sonically (if one goes over 140 dB even for a second OR when doing a mix for a client and they spew back at you that the **** was inadequate).

Wow, isn't life great once you get the basic 1-2-and-3's down of mastering and sucker clientees call you sire?
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
Where's the Sandman when you need him???? dfegadLOL HAHAHAHAA

But that was the cool pop song many moons ago.

Seriously though, my "A-HA" (no pun intended) moment came hell of a lot over this past year. I had a-ha's where I thought I didn't need a noise gate.
Hell, even back in 2005, I thought mastering wasn't necessary with the nasty grainy mixes that I created out of FL Studio. I was very pompous, stubborn and even lazy at times to dive into sonic mastering.

I got my first taste of mastering when I just threw a basic Ozone 3 preset on the master bus on a track in FL Studio and was wow'ed/floored. Then I was like, "Ok ok let me get off of high horse and start reading up on Bob Katz".

Then I started "A-ha-ing" like crazy while reading up on Bob Katz and his methodology of madness. Next, after taking his advice, i started "a-ha-ing" like a muthafukker once I tweaked a knob in x-degrees (or x decibels per octave). Wow, mastering is so fun when it has so so much control over your sound; yet - it can be so deadly - sonically (if one goes over 140 dB even for a second OR when doing a mix for a client and they spew back at you that the **** was inadequate).

Wow, isn't life great once you get the basic 1-2-and-3's down of mastering and sucker clientees call you sire?
The problem is, from personal observation, that a huge number of so called producers "engineers"/beatmakers in this game are pompous, arrogant,pigheaded and lazy.
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
The problem is, from personal observation, that a huge number of so called producers "engineers"/beatmakers in this game are pompous, arrogant,pigheaded and lazy.
That's sad...and good in a way because it weeds out the competition. However, as long as people can help each other as well as help the newbies on this forum, I think it would cut down on the idiots that want to get into this way of life.

Mastering, producing, tweaking, mixing is a lifestyle. It's like Hip-Hop; it's a culture, not a gimmick.

It's a beautiful thing where you can control, shape, and mold it to your liking - unlike a Western skank - whom wants to tell you that she's boss and you're not - fukk that dabba dan!

Once one accepts that, you live it, you learn it, you yearn for it. It replaces the void in one's aptitude for knowledge as well as a good replacement over a skank that takes-takes-and-takes. I rather fukk-and-chuck skanks and make my music my wifey. Real talk.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's sad...and good in a way because it weeds out the competition. However, as long as people can help each other as well as help the newbies on this forum, I think it would cut down on the idiots that want to get into this way of life.

Mastering, producing, tweaking, mixing is a lifestyle. It's like Hip-Hop; it's a culture, not a gimmick.

It's a beautiful thing where you can control, shape, and mold it to your liking - unlike a Western skank - whom wants to tell you that she's boss and you're not - fukk that dabba dan!

Once one accepts that, you live it, you learn it, you yearn for it. It replaces the void in one's aptitude for knowledge as well as a good replacement over a skank that takes-takes-and-takes. I rather fukk-and-chuck skanks and make my music my wifey. Real talk.
Si Senor..thumbsupthumbsup
Old 3rd September 2008
Tracking vocals :

I used to try to peak at -6dbs coming into the preamp...

Now I let it come in at about -16 to -18 dbs...

AH - mutha****in - HAAA mutha****a!!!

oh yea...

bringin the 2-buss down to -6dbs first, then mixin from there...

AH- HAAHAAaAaAaAa!!
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

When I learned the proper usage of high and low pass filters.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 View Post
i second that but to add to that i found an ahh ah when i was over doing it and making my mixes sound thinner. Decreased my hpf's to give it some meat again.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
i second that but to add to that i found an ahh ah when i was over doing it and making my mixes sound thinner. Decreased my hpf's to give it some meat again.
That is very true.

ah HA.... low shelf.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I had an Ah Ha moment when I found my long lost stash the other day
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
never hide it where you can't find it.

Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Perhaps the 2 most significant were the same as mentioned by one above, but specifically:

1) when I bought Focal Twins--I realized it was possible to achieve the mixes I'd wanted all along (but only after turning maxing the bass boosts!), and

2) When I learned how to make a buss comp pump just right--now, I can truly proud of my work, put it up against anything, on any system, and own the responses I get from it!
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehkz View Post
Tracking vocals :

I used to try to peak at -6dbs coming into the preamp...

Now I let it come in at about -16 to -18 dbs...

AH - mutha****in - HAAA mutha****a!!!

oh yea...

bringin the 2-buss down to -6dbs first, then mixin from there...

AH- HAAHAAaAaAaAa!!
Duh! LOL Yup you got it: make everything "cleaner" and "fuller" by turning the got-damn RMS down on ****. Then using a SOTA (state of the art) look-ahead compressor and look-ahead transparent limiter to bring the RMS back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 View Post
Man o' man have I ever learned to use them. Using Dry filters made my vocals go from demo my-first-Fisher-Price-sounding to "yeah no wonder engineering labs have been shutting down in SoHo, NYC" because you can do what the big boys do at home now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Yeah I was in Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, Philippines, and I thought my Filipino bag of coins equaling to $40 USD was stolen by Immigration there. Then just the other week - after coming back from getting some pussy in Angeles City, I looked in one of the bags I didn't unpack and whoop there it was! My badd. LOL!!! Now I have to go back to the Philippines in order to get some money for them because they won't accept Filipino coins at any money changer here in Thailand. Filipino money is worth fukk-all to Thais, especially if it's any denomination less than 20 peso bank notes.

I won't pay $300 USD round-trip just to exchange $40. I'll just do it when I return to the Philippines sometime this year or next year.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Have any of you experienced that revelation or that "A HA" moment where you suddenly realized after much frustration and experimentation, the answer to getting the result you were after while recording and/or mixing?
And please let us know what that moment was.
It's been some time ago. As I began to work with very successful engineers and/or producers, I was surprised to learn I was aleady doing what i needed to. (from all the trial and error over the years) One time in particular, one of those engineers asked to hear what I was doing.(production wise). I Dropped in a CD and he starting rockin his head in enjoyment as he smile. He reached to turn down the mains and then said "that's nice, who mixed it". He was shocked when replied "Me"

He then went on to said "You need to stop 2nd guessing yourself." In the past I'd asked him (and a few others) different things about doing this or doing that.

From that point its been on. practice makes progress.

same type of story can be told about my marching band arrangements. To hear so many people glorify my arrangements that were played by some of the best (and largest) high school and college marching bands.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

-when I stopped looking for the next best thing and just got to work. a-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Duh! LOL Yup you got it: make everything "cleaner" and "fuller" by turning the got-damn RMS down on ****. Then using a SOTA (state of the art) look-ahead compressor and look-ahead transparent limiter to bring the RMS back up.

Man o' man have I ever learned to use them. Using Dry filters made my vocals go from demo my-first-Fisher-Price-sounding to "yeah no wonder engineering labs have been shutting down in SoHo, NYC" because you can do what the big boys do at home now.

Yeah I was in Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, Philippines, and I thought my Filipino bag of coins equaling to $40 USD was stolen by Immigration there. Then just the other week - after coming back from getting some pussy in Angeles City, I looked in one of the bags I didn't unpack and whoop there it was! My badd. LOL!!! Now I have to go back to the Philippines in order to get some money for them because they won't accept Filipino coins at any money changer here in Thailand. Filipino money is worth fukk-all to Thais, especially if it's any denomination less than 20 peso bank notes.

I won't pay $300 USD round-trip just to exchange $40. I'll just do it when I return to the Philippines sometime this year or next year.
I like your style, home slice!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search