The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your "A - HA" Moment Studio Monitors
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Addict

Well, I had a few in the last 12 months.

- I understood the behaviour of my compressor (regarding to the transients) after reading a post from Matt and playing around with the settings while watching a ppm meter.

- I understood everything of my reverb (finally ) after I downloaded some HQ demo sounds from different reverb manufactors. The best sounds of them had dry and wet sounds so I was able to hear the difference. After that I imported them into my DAW and tried to recreate them on "the dry section" with my reverb unit and crossfaded them into the wet "demo" one.

- LCR mixing is king if you are using a delayed copy of the signal on the opposite channel. This technique makes my amateurish mixes so much clearer and wider.

- Right now I´m on my way to understand my physical drum modelling software. I found some awesome Gretsch / Ludwig snare samples which I try to recreate.
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

Refreshing this post. I keep it in my favorites and every once in a while I refer to it. Great post.
Old 20th May 2014
I had my a-ha moment when i stopped recording hot, and mixing at loud volumes. Since that day my mixes have translated very well.
Old 21st May 2014
Sequencing the same part with 2 or even 3 different but similar virtual instruments, then panning them out. Can get synth or strings, etc, to really stand out in 3D that way.

It's all about how you layer parts. I do the same with drums. Use a NI Kontakt acoustic kit layered with a Battery Kit pretty much every time.
Old 21st May 2014
Gear Addict

several...2 most notably when i learned that some things could or should be mixed in mono (yea i know)
and when i learned about EQ'ing things out of the way of other things (yes i know i know)

for years i called myself mixing and could never figure out why my joints didn't sound like anything i tried to reference...

learned to mix on my own so i have a whole catalog of a-ha moments tbh
Old 22nd May 2014
When I figured out how the LUFS system works.
Old 22nd May 2014
Gear Addict

My latest one was discovering what intersample peaks are and how to avoid them
Old 29th May 2014
Here for the gear

biggest ah ha moment for me was when i started using rvox. i start every vocal mix with it and it is my step 1 'vocal presence.' (i never push it more than than -9db, maybe -11db in extreme situations). anything beyond that just sound harsh and obliterated. i would be interested to know what other plugins achieve the same effect.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search