The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your "A - HA" Moment Studio Monitors
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

My ahaaaaaa moment was when I found gearslutz.
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Maniac

ah ha! this is my studio! these are my rules and no amount of bitching is gonna change em! if you dont like em i can show you the door.
Old 30th May 2009
when people started buying our records and famous artists wanted to work with us.
oh and realising not to add low end to everything.
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble View Post
My ahaaaaaa moment was when I found gearslutz.
I definitely have to agree with this one. Most of my AAHA moments came after reading threads on here.....hell, ima have a few more ahaas just from reading this thread.thanks for the thres PSM
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikky View Post
-when I stopped looking for the next best thing and just got to work. a-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just quoting this cos for me its been the biggest step forward for me

that said, i still want the 33609 (but my wife wont let me buy it )
Old 3rd June 2009
Well, I still feel in the early stages of my game, but at least I am really in it now (as in "I now get it") - for me it was when I first treated my rooms - the live room lets me hear the instruments and not a box and my control room lets me hear my monitors - amazing how 3d sound is from any speaker (even my mono phillips tube radio) when the early reflections are taken care of properly and bass is trapped like a fat rat.

Oh ya, I just got a Thermionic Culture Rooster and that pretty a-ha as well - the sonics of hi-fi revealed - that **** really does sound better.

Thanks to all the sluts who have helped in the internet crash course in engineering - it has helped me figure out what is essential for basic sonic flight (once you filter out all the "x" is better than "y" of course).

May tone live on in the face of the mp3!

Old 4th June 2009
Gear Head

The day I started mixing in green rather then yellow. Was an aha, especially if your 192 I/O's are catered for a pretty perfect sense of gain staging for your outboard gear.

Subtractive eqing to achieve loudness and seperation was a aha. I hardly boost anything anymore at all.

Saying **** 3rd party plug ins mixing at 88.2 24. For surgical edits I used digirack III plug ins. Way more transparent, and no color. That was a aha.
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
getting head from a girl under the console while mixing
Head is old school terminology, it's called "Dome" now, thank you my fellow gangsters for constantly updating the Urban Dictionary.thumbsup
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Head is old school terminology, it's called "Dome" now, thank you my fellow gangsters for constantly updating the Urban Dictionary.thumbsup
Some people like to keep it vintage, cat daddy... heh
Old 5th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
oh and realising not to add low end to everything.
Paul - that's a good one, but my moment was realising not to add 'a bit of top' to everything! Most of the time, it's just not needed.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

To get an old thread back inline....

Aha moment...

I purchased some high end stuff over the last year. But high end stuff needs time learn and appreciate. So was just screwing around with some kickdrum samples, pretty bland *dud* *dud* stuff. Then I fed this to a chain of an API 525, a 550B and a Distressor to top it of. JEEZUS. The kick just transformed into this lowend monster. 808 style almost. Just incredible debt and space, from a freaking sample! Now I know what my new stuff can do....
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
when people started buying our records .

that must be a great A-HA, after years of struggling!!

api7600 and u87 was a great aha...and running synth through superb pres!!!!
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Nut

My first real A-HA moment was when I got a couple of piano/ theory lessons from a jazz/gospel musician. He showed me all the scales and some chord progressions, my face literally lit up. I sing and my father plays the keys but, I never played an instrument until I got a Motif ES6 and that was from frustration of looking for good beats.

One of my partners was a locally signed hiphop artist, but after his deal fell through we would always look for new beats on our own. Him and I started taking samples/ideas to studios and making beats with other engineers and producers. We never touched the equipment we just told them how to chop it/loop,what sounds we liked and how to play it(MJ style... Beatboxing and singing notes lol). It was crazy because people liked our beats and we were very new at it. We decided to buy equipment and been pluggin away ever since, now its 4 of us having fun.

2. Actually hearing the true delay and reverb (or any sounds for that matter) in my ATH-M50's, world of difference going back and forth between them and the monitors. Helped pick the right sounds and effects for the tracks... Huge difference!

Last edited by 5StarProject; 10th July 2009 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

I had an AHAAAA moment in Little Rock when I saw a guy programming entire original soul/R&B works in his keyboard and then recording vox over it all in the box and very well in a music co-op, it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, no racism involved, everybody working together, I wish I could do that some more.
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Maniac

High-Pass filtering
Parallel drum compression
Gain structuring
Hardware reverb
Phase
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
I had an AHAAAA moment in Little Rock when I saw a guy programming entire original soul/R&B works in his keyboard and then recording vox over it all in the box and very well in a music co-op, it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, no racism involved, everybody working together, I wish I could do that some more.
is racism usually a part of your music making experience?
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

i know you're not suppose to watch meters while compressing, but in my early days this actual taught me how to use a compressor correctly. really helped me understand attack and release and how it was affecting the signal i was putting through the comp.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
is racism usually a part of your music making experience?
Like you wouldn't believe.
Never encountered it before Memphis, both sides too. I'm mixed, multi-races, so I don't pick sides, but, I never thought anyone else would either, I mean, It's music, it doesn't have a color, except here.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

huh...that's a damn shame.
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
When I learned how NOT to over-work a mix.

Less is more.

+1
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Head

Great thread. Lots of good stuff.
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Maniac

My Ah-ha! moment came when I'd spent enough time recording to identify SM57's being used on snares and toms in someone else's recordings.
Old 29th August 2009
Originally Posted by bgrotto
When I learned how NOT to over-work a mix.

Less is more.

+2 on that.

That moment for me was very specific. I was working a track for a band and in pre-pro I kept envisioning this song as "huge" sounding, it just hit me that way when the band played it. I kept that thought throughout tracking and everything we added I'm thinking "oh man this is going to sound so frickin' huge when we're done". I get to mix and it's like wrestling a greased pig, can't get it to work at all, sounds good but not 'right'. After a day and a half of messin' with it something clicks and I try to make the production more intimate and smaller. Bam, instant mix. I still used all the same tracks but the emphasis was a lot different. Let the music tell you what it needs was the lesson.
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Nut

still looking for my a-ha moment
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

The first time I used the sonnox Inflator
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

When an old & wise engineer explained to me the point of mixing, re-creating sonic "space" inside a limited domain (ANY recording medium)...

WHY and HOW we use EQ....

he whispered really close to me and said "how do I sound, near or far?"

then he went in the next room and said something muffled, again, "did I sound near or far?" It hit me... AHA! I wish I had it explained to me around this time:

Because that's when I started wanting to get into sampling/recording.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

A few aha moments that I can recall...

1) Buying a Roland sound module/keyboard and realizing that 80% of sounds I was trying to get for years before was in that keyboard. (bigups to getting quality instruments/gear)

2) Buying a Phoenix DRS preamp and a Soundelux (now Bock Audio) U195 and realizing the major difference a pro-level preamp and a serious mic does for sound quality (90 percent there)... also realizing how a quality preamp breathes new life into even a dynamic mic (my Shure SM 57 is a serious contender against the condensers through a quality preamp.

3) Parallel compression (you can do sooo many extreme things to the parallel that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing before)

4) Comparing some older mixes done with some lower end Lexicon reverb units with mixes made with plugin reverbs and realizing that plug in reverb wasn't/isn't there yet in terms of quality.

5) Stacking background vocals and realizing that 90 percent of RnB vocals were done that way

And much more.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Another ...

Timing delays and reverb tails to the tempo of the track
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Guru

Most recent: mixing the ambience rather than the sounds. Building up a coherent holographic 'space' by pushing and pulling faders until it goes from 'nothing' to 'solid enough to touch'.

It's a delicate balance, until it isn't. Some guys will know what I'm talking about here.

It'll work for sampled/electronic arrangements as well, you just have to use two or three reverbs to construct the virtual space, then use your sends and pans to place your element in that space. Then you mix the spaces.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Ah-HA!

The first time I realized I'd just gone through a 10-hour live-to-two-track session (18 tunes), and could NOT remember ever consciously looking at the meters the whole time!

...But lo and behold, all the levels were spot-on! (And the tracks sounded great!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search