The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your "A - HA" Moment Studio Monitors
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Maniac

cutting eq's instead of boosting

side chaining kicks and bass

not putting booming 808's lightly under all my kick drums

punching in vocals and comping vocals tracks

when making a beat how not to clutter
Old 4th September 2008
g22
Lives for gear

I've had thousands of those moments trying to learn/write through experimentation, you always come up with something that makes you go hmmm, I'm onto something here.
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Head

When I started A/Bing my mixes to good ones =]
Old 10th September 2008
When I learned how to use a compressor.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Couple of em

1) When I learned to charge people for their first session up front.

2) When I learned you can make something sound good when its at a reasonable volume. That's an oldy but a goody.

3) When I stopped being afraid to make large changes in eq and compression.

4) When I figured out that boosting 2k-3k on the vocals is not the same as making them sound better.

5) When I learned that kicks and basses have a lot of stuff going on above 200Hz.

6) When I realized Fruity Loops was crap.

7) When I later realized Fruity Loops is actually pretty cool.
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
1) When I learned to charge people for their first session up front.

2) When I learned you can make something sound good when its at a reasonable volume. That's an oldy but a goody.

3) When I stopped being afraid to make large changes in eq and compression.

4) When I figured out that boosting 2k-3k on the vocals is not the same as making them sound better.

5) When I learned that kicks and basses have a lot of stuff going on above 200Hz.

6) When I realized Fruity Loops was crap.

7) When I later realized Fruity Loops is actually pretty cool.

Excellent post, Story. +1

PhillySoulMan, I like yo' style too. You crack me the **** up when you get short with some people on here. Just try to go easy on the newbies, I think a lot of them are thirsty for knowledge, not for online beatdowns. LOL
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Guru

Plenty A-Ha.....favourites would be giving up on trying to use NS-10's for balancing, as to me they're utterly useless for that and only have them tell me about other things, like transients and 'bounce', which they're great for. And making LV level decisions at LOW levels.

The best one has got to be when I finally clicked back out of a good few years of 'macro-listening' while engineering, getting way too stuck on separate sounds and surfaced back to musical overview of context. Kind of like before any engineering at all, just now armed with detail knowledge as a reflex, not as it taking over the whole bloody attentionspan making you create great kickdrums and lousy mixes.heh
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

My "A-HA" moment? Finding this thread...

What happened to threads like these?
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
My "A-HA" moment? Finding this thread...

What happened to threads like these?

That's one of the best questions I've seen on here in a long time
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

1) when i first learned that limiting drum mixes (or even compressing hard) gave me the sound i wanted - vintage warmer etc

2) then learning NOT to put a limiter/comp on the drum bus/drums

3) picking good drum sounds and then using envelope, filters, saturation etc in battery to tweak sounds and not require much compression later

4) automation. fader rides. on nearly everything in the mix.

5) not overdoing a mix a hundred times (learned the hard way. still do it sometimes)

6) getting an outboard comp and compressing on the way in. i love my 160XT so much.

7) learning that taking a break gives you perspective. you want to work hard so you think working for 9 hours straight on the track is 'working hard'. but you're doing a disservice to the track as you're losing perspective, and it'll probably sound like dick in the morning/after a break. short little breaks keeps it fun - just don't take a break if you're on a hot creative run.

that's it for now...
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Nut

When I finally learnt to move the bass HPF up from 40ish to 60ish and added a touch of boost at 80-100 to compensate.

Finnally got rid of the mud without sacrificing the big sound. Ahhh.

Only took me 2 years to be able to hear the difference. LOL
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear
1. when I found out that the room is more important than any gear
2. when I found out that it's all about music and not gear
3. when I found out that when the room and music is great the gear is important
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Have any of you experienced that revelation or that "A HA" moment where you suddenly realized after much frustration and experimentation, the answer to getting the result you were after while recording and/or mixing?
And please let us know what that moment was.
getting head from a girl under the console while mixing
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
That's the ultimate "A-HA"!
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
A Haaaaa!!!!!!!!!!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Head

My moment was experimenting on mixing some vocals, first I didn't know anything about it. Then I went to soundonsound.com and printed out the articles titled "secrets of mix engineer". I went a performed the technigues the way they describe in the articles.

The newest moment was when I kept getting echos when I would buss vocals. Instead of ****ing up I exported the vocal track. Opened another Logic session imported the track, layer/pan the vocals then used the master buss to mixing the vocals.
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear
A few for me for hip hop.

Real instruments. Consider a new keyboard or VI vs the cost of getting a hold of some college kids who are dying to get some session experience and will play for cheap/free.

Real shakers, hats, tambs. Especially shakers and tambos. You can interact with tracks in so many different ways that would be impossible to ever emulate with samples.

Real drums hitting tape. . .you can get so many sounds out of them, and really they can be faster than fishing through 8000 samples. And more fun.

Room mics on vocals.

Tuning drums with strobosoft and xform.
Old 27th May 2009
1985 - "Take on Me"

Old 27th May 2009
Gear Maniac

1.) The realization that some tracks in the mix may not need anything. (SO LEAVE ALONE!!!)

2.) At least 50% of mixing is done in the arrangement, performance and tracking. Getting these the best that they can be makes mixing child's play. Other than that your in for a long day.
Old 27th May 2009
Great thread...

Realizing that you can only get so far with plug-ins...
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Addict

I feel like I have an "A-Ha" moment once a week, LOL! I've only been recording for 2 years and am at a point where I am very confident in my music and my mixing, but it never fails, I keep having those A-Ha moments. That is one of the main reasons why I love recording/mixing so much. Regardless of experience and training, there's always something else to figure out. But I think my greatest "A-Ha" moment was a year ago when I decided that sampling was not for me and took the time to learn how to play piano and study music theory. Best decision I've ever made.
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

When I realized that it's music, not rocket science!
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorezx View Post
Great thread...

Realizing that you can only get so far with plug-ins...
Mine was realizing you can only get so far with plug-ins so you have to track it so it only has so far to go.

My other aha moment was when I looked at James Brown's discography. I realized that more important than having each mix be perfect was having a track record where you are known for doing a lot of what you do. If you are in the house perfecting your "first" mix as a lot of cats who mix their own stuff I know are, you aren't the cat known throughout the city for mixing/making records. Someone else who may have lesser quality stuff is building a track record/name (often because he doesn't know anything is wrong with his sounds.) You gotta use what u got to get what u want. You can't win the game from the bleachers. You gotta get in the game.

That and when I learned balance is the primary base of a good mix. It's not about how the kick sounds or how much you honed in on the vocals. Its about balance. (Which is sometimes better in the rough mix where u just threw up the faders, than it is in the one you spent days mixing. Sometimes the Rough just has that "something". Most often that something is balance.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
When I learned how NOT to over-work a mix.

Less is more.
AMEN Brother... AMEN!
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Addict

When I figured out my work flow for my projects...

Record in a decent studio
Take the tracks home for subtractive EQing and rough mixing ( all ITB)
Take it to a decent studio with great outboard/plate reverbs etc etc for final mixing.
Get it mastered by Brian Lucey

Im not a full time serious engineer just a musican who likes the process of recording/mixing...this is the best way I think for maximising my dollar/time for a really great result..
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Mine was realizing you can only get so far with plug-ins so you have to track it so it only has so far to go.

My other aha moment was when I looked at James Brown's discography. I realized that more important than having each mix be perfect was having a track record where you are known for doing a lot of what you do. If you are in the house perfecting your "first" mix as a lot of cats who mix their own stuff I know are, you aren't the cat known throughout the city for mixing/making records. Someone else who may have lesser quality stuff is building a track record/name (often because he doesn't know anything is wrong with his sounds.) You gotta use what u got to get what u want. You can't win the game from the bleachers. You gotta get in the game.

That and when I learned balance is the primary base of a good mix. It's not about how the kick sounds or how much you honed in on the vocals. Its about balance. (Which is sometimes better in the rough mix where u just threw up the faders, than it is in the one you spent days mixing. Sometimes the Rough just has that "something". Most often that something is balance.
good post!!
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

i got my a- ha moments here on gearslutz first is there are some things you just have to pay the money for. so many of us noobs post asking about this or that sound for 2.58$ but sometimes you just gotta save and pay for it. nuff said on that

second you can't blame an @ssh0le for being just that. thats their job! a snake bites a bee stings and an @ssh0le talks about things they have no clue about wether it be here on the net or in the studio. it's just the natural order of things.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

my moment was the first time i went into a real recording studio which was only about a year or two ago...i grew up performing at venues, talent shows, etc (vox/ or instruments) and i did farely well but never had done any recording. the first time i ever recorded was a house of blues here in LA and that really gave the confidence to be like "ok i'm ready to do this for real" and ever since then i've been going at it hard. can't stop till my name is in the big lights...PRhodes
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

a-haaaa...

Old 29th May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
-the day I consciously tried to stop boosting eqs all the time and start cutting instead...real eye opener.
Agree 100%. First cut i learned was just high passing certain elements. That really opened my eyes to the general advantages of cutting.

Listening to a lot of the old school multitracks and realizing how much of the instruments in ill old school stuff from back in the day were recorded in mono, also really changed the way I produce/arrange...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search