The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hip Hop Mic preamp help. Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedout View Post
thanks. I have a lot of options now.

So you wouldnt reccomend going firewire? cause that saffire was looking nice, I just dont know how much it would cost to make the laptop firewire compatible because the E-MU 1616M PCMCIA is around 700
The E-MU 1616M PCMCIA should be WAY less than 700 bucks at the moment. Who ever priced it for that much is trying to rip people off. The best thing for you to do is just go into your local music store and see if they have any used 1616Ms for sale. If you are in canada, Long & Mcquade stores should be carrying those for around 2-300 bucks.

Firewire will be worth looking into if you can't get your hands on a 1616M.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey all.

I am on a tight budget here and have decided that I am going to cheap out on the mic (get a sm57) and interface (planning on getting the cheapest usb one possible) and spend a little bit more on the preamp.

I was leaning towards the FMR RNP as the preamp. What do you guys/girls think about this. Again, this is ONLY going to be used for rap vocals. Is there any other preamps better than this in this price range or cheaper that are better for my use? Also, does the interface play a big role because I was thinking on just getting a real cheap USB one.

Also, I dont have a treated room. Its a smallish room with carpet. Ceilings are low. No echo and all that.

Thanks a lot people.
If you're trying to save dough... voicemaster pro by focusrite. Check my myspace MySpace.com - X:144 & SPS [is the 2008 USA DMC Supremacy CHAMP] - ORLANDO, Florida - Hip Hop / Rap / Soul - www.myspace.com/x144andsps the joint called "Last Voice" was tracked with it. And to be honest it was the last joint I recorded with it before upgrading. For the money is was pre damn flexible. I'm sure you can catch a used one for cheap.

The mic on that joint was a TLM 103... but you can get the joint that it sounds pretty damn clean.
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Head

That sounds really nice man. Good song. The only thing is, the focusrite is our of my budget, I wish I had that setup, sounds SO clear.

I will see if I can check out that store tomorrow. I like the sound of that unit. I didnt realize it came with the adapter as well.
Old 1st September 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Focusrite Twin Track pro has impedence matching.
I happen to like the unit,but some have not.....I guess because its not "expensive"...as some judge a unit by its price, which is "bollocks"
and how does it sound (the same mic) with different imp. settings? does it make a huge defference?
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the smart choice for now is what you suggested. Get a good interface now, that way when I upgrade my preamp I can keep the interface and have a more solid setup.

I now know for the laptop I have to buy a PCMCIA card? to allow firewire capability. There are so many different ones, do you know anything about this?

Or are USB interfaces fine, because I know there are a lot to choose from.
Which PROGRAM/SOFTWARE are you using in your laptop to record on to??
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
and how does it sound (the same mic) with different imp. settings? does it make a huge defference?
Yes.. a huge difference..volume,texture,tone etc

For instance..if you are using say, a Twi Track pro with a condenser mike the impedence knob should be fully clockwise .
Twist it the other way and you will not love it
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds really nice man. Good song. The only thing is, the focusrite is our of my budget, I wish I had that setup, sounds SO clear.

I will see if I can check out that store tomorrow. I like the sound of that unit. I didnt realize it came with the adapter as well.
The Voicemaster pro and the twin track pro have the same pres..basically the same unit except the twin track has two channels and more
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Nut

My 2

If I may offer up some advice.

I've been where you are and budget stuff definately doesn't cut it, you have to work extra hard to make it work. I can only offer you advise based on what I have used or am currently using.

For your price range, you can get an Alesis i0|14 which has 4 preamps (high definition) firewire connection and is a soundcard/interface all in 1. There are currently 2 on Ebay one has a BIN price of 225 plus 15 shipping (240).
alesis io 14, Pro Audio Stage Effects, Electronics items on eBay.com

You also have the choice of going usb, i0|2 (I havent used this one, I have the 14) Its $100 cheaper.
Alesis iO|2 PORTABLE 2–CHANNEL USB AUDIO INTERFACE - eBay (item 290162104354 end time Sep-12-08 06:25:43 PDT)

For mics I would go with something from the Sterling Audio line, I have two of em (ST66 and ST77) To stay within budget you can go with a ST55 which is a Fet microphone, The 77 which is it's BIG brother has a real big and open sound to it, I havent heard what the 55 can do but it is on ebay for a BIN price of 129 and FREE shipping.
sterling audio, Pro Audio Stage Effects, Audiobooks items on eBay.com

The 55 would be a good choice for you and keep you well under budget (369). Now if you wanna step it up a bit to the ST77 which will keep you satisfied while you expand, then there are two on Ebay, no BIN's but I got mine for 360 so that would put you right at the 600 mark.

It's really inexpensive to add firewire to your laptop, I bought a card on Ebay for 10.00. They have 115 different ones on Ebay right now for 10-30 bucks.
firewire laptop card, PC Components, Desktop Laptop Accessories items on eBay.com

This set up will give you some very desireable results if you have a basic knowledge of gain staging, mixing and balance. You also need some decent plugins to help you, check out Sonalksis, Blockfish and Voxengo, some of em are free! Lemme know if you want more info or want to hear some samples of the things I have recorded using the above mentioned gear.

Now get back to writing!

peace
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Head

Thanks for the advice.

As for experience/knowledge. I am brand new to recording and only have recorded with my POS usb mic. It will be a learning curve, but I dont want to be killing myself from frustration lol.

From my reasoning. If I get an EMU USB($200) or something else around that price range I would have around 300-400 to spend on a mic. For this price range is there something else you think I would keep for a long time, or do you think I should stick with the cheaper one. I also still need a mic stand.

I will look into the sterling/GT mics.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

As for experience/knowledge. I am brand new to recording and only have recorded with my POS usb mic. It will be a learning curve, but I dont want to be killing myself from frustration lol.

From my reasoning. If I get an EMU USB($200) or something else around that price range I would have around 300-400 to spend on a mic. For this price range is there something else you think I would keep for a long time, or do you think I should stick with the cheaper one. I also still need a mic stand.

I will look into the sterling/GT mics.
BRO,
Let me ask you again.
What are you recording on to..tape,digital audio workstation,
Youve got to be recording on to something in order to hear yourself back
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Just wanted to shed a little of my experience here.

Emu..... Sound really good for the money. But the pre's are dark and have no headroom. If you push em too much they crap out. An artist of mine has the 1616m I believe. I just mixed her album which for some reason she used the pres on that even though she had the Mackie 800r with the onyx pres sitting in the rack. I also mixed her first album which she tracked purely through the 800r. Night and day. Same 2 mics were used. An AEA ribbon and a C1.

Mixing her new album was hard as hell. The vocals just would not sit right without major tweaking. And even then I was not at all happy with the outcome.

The first album was great!

Mackie onyx if your on a budget!!

Also, watch out for the brick. It is a great pre/di, but doesn't have a ton of gain. Doesn't do to great with dynamic mics that need a bunch of gain.

Other then that the brick is a great cheap pre!!

You might want to look into an old Joe Meek British Channel pre. I sold 2 of them before moving back east for about 250 a piece. I had along side of them a Vintech 1272 and the X73i. And in keeping the Vintech on the clean side of settings the Joe meek sounded just like it but had a little more self noise. As soon as you pushed the 1272 it became a different animal but the Joe Meek is a very very very usable pre for the money. I don't know about the new meek stuff. I'm speaking of a unit that they don't make anymore.

Peace
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Head

With my mic i was just recording onto Audacity. This is another thing I would need to upgrade, but that is another thing Im looking into separate from this budget.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
With my mic i was just recording onto Audacity. This is another thing I would need to upgrade, but that is another thing Im looking into separate from this budget.
You can get an MBox 2 with PTLE for about $400.00
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
Just wanted to shed a little of my experience here.

Emu..... Sound really good for the money. But the pre's are dark and have no headroom. If you push em too much they crap out. An artist of mine has the 1616m I believe. I just mixed her album which for some reason she used the pres on that even though she had the Mackie 800r with the onyx pres sitting in the rack. I also mixed her first album which she tracked purely through the 800r. Night and day. Same 2 mics were used. An AEA ribbon and a C1.

Mixing her new album was hard as hell. The vocals just would not sit right without major tweaking. And even then I was not at all happy with the outcome.

The first album was great!

Mackie onyx if your on a budget!!

Also, watch out for the brick. It is a great pre/di, but doesn't have a ton of gain. Doesn't do to great with dynamic mics that need a bunch of gain.

Other then that the brick is a great cheap pre!!

You might want to look into an old Joe Meek British Channel pre. I sold 2 of them before moving back east for about 250 a piece. I had along side of them a Vintech 1272 and the X73i. And in keeping the Vintech on the clean side of settings the Joe meek sounded just like it but had a little more self noise. As soon as you pushed the 1272 it became a different animal but the Joe Meek is a very very very usable pre for the money. I don't know about the new meek stuff. I'm speaking of a unit that they don't make anymore.

Peace
Which studioin in Philly do you work out of
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Head

Ok its almost time to make a decision.

I GREATLY appreciate all of your help people.

I can go two ways, expensive mic or cheap mic.

1) Rode NTK ( found one in canada used for around 400-425 with shockmound and cables) + with EMU 0404 USB. =600 give or take a little bit

2) AT3035(160 with stand, pop filter, cables) OR NT1A (170 incl stand, cable, filter)
with EMU 0404 USB. Mbox seems like it has a lot of issues, I will be adding a preamp in the future anyways and a lot of people seem to really like the EMu 0404 for the price.

Good mic or lower end? damn I hate this lol.

Decisions decisions....
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok its almost time to make a decision.

I GREATLY appreciate all of your help people.

I can go two ways, expensive mic or cheap mic.

1) Rode NTK ( found one in canada used for around 400-425 with shockmound and cables) + with EMU 0404 USB. =600 give or take a little bit

2) AT3035(160 with stand, pop filter, cables) OR NT1A (170 incl stand, cable, filter)
with EMU 0404 USB. Mbox seems like it has a lot of issues, I will be adding a preamp in the future anyways and a lot of people seem to really like the EMu 0404 for the price.

Good mic or lower end? damn I hate this lol.

Decisions decisions....
ADVICE...be patient and save up about $4000.00 and then let us know when that is and we will advise based on your money at that time...oh yes..did I say be patient????
Old 2nd September 2008
Gear Head

lol. 4000? Even if I had 4000 I couldnt spend it all on this... Am I really poor or are you rich lol. I see what you mean cause it seems like thats what I will need to get REAL recordings. but 4000 wont happen until Im clear of university, and even then that will be unlikely. Ive only been into writing and recording for about 3 months, but Im sick of having a ****ty USB mic so I want something that sounds "good". Not studio, but clear. Im not sending this to a radio station or something.

Thanks again, for the help. You have been awesome, same with everyone else.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm tellin ya. Save up 2 or 3 hundred bucks down the road and pick up a used meek.

Phillysoulman... I'm not working anywhere right now. To tell you the truth been working in LA independently (had my own spot) Making nice money for the last 8 or so. Been there for 21 years, originally from Allentown. Been taking a break getting my head together, spending time with family and renovating my sisters new house. Just starting to think about looking for work.. Savings are about depleted.. LOL

Just got totally burnt on recording hacks for a living in la... Needed a change... sold everything except for a few things for writing purposes.

Pm me sometime.
Old 2nd September 2008
AT4033-$240 used
Music Go Round - Inventory Details

Emu 202 usb-$115 B-stock
Emu 0202 USB 2.0 Audio Interface from zZounds.com!

Total $355

If you wanna go cheap, this is it. You should get a decent sound too. That mic is pretty good & just bright enough to pierce through the muddy interface pre.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
I'm tellin ya. Save up 2 or 3 hundred bucks down the road and pick up a used meek.

Phillysoulman... I'm not working anywhere right now. To tell you the truth been working in LA independently (had my own spot) Making nice money for the last 8 or so. Been there for 21 years, originally from Allentown. Been taking a break getting my head together, spending time with family and renovating my sisters new house. Just starting to think about looking for work.. Savings are about depleted.. LOL

Just got totally burnt on recording hacks for a living in la... Needed a change... sold everything except for a few things for writing purposes.

Pm me sometime.
Absolutely!!

PSM
Old 2nd September 2008
Gear Head

Found some more good deals locally so this is what I was thinking.

- Mic - AT3035 100-160 OR NT1A (200 new locally) ( Which is better for rap vocals. I hear that the 3035 is better overall.)

- Preamp - (DMP3) (125 new locally)

- M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard ($50 locally new)
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 from zZounds.com!

(is this soundcard good enough, or should i invest in something a little better?)

- Mogami Gold XLR mic cables

Sorry for all this undecided bs. I know you have all been here before.

The preamp is alright, for the price im getting it at I can make my money back when I sell it in the future. Same with the soundcard. What kind of quality will I be able to get out of this compared to my USB mic?

I realize this is budget equipment, but its what I can afford right now.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Thats fine. Keep asking and looking. Definitely look for used.

Fast track pro used $100
Joe Meek VC6Q channel strip used $300
Shure SM57 used $50
Studio Projects C1 used $150

=$600
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Head

Find used Avalon!
Best pre ever! For vocal of course!
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Getting the Brick or something like that would be a good start.
I would say start with a decent pre.
You can allways use the cheap mic for a bg vox or ad libs when you get a top end mic.
I just picked up the UA Solo 610.
I got it used for a great price, under $500.0, and an API luchbox.
I'm waiting till next week to get a pair of pres for that.
If your looking for best bang for the buck, I recomend an Event EMP-1.
They were only on the market for a couple of years but you can get one on ebay for well under $100.00.
I've done loads of Rap using one and even got an artist a nice indie deal with the demos we did using it.
IMO, you should look into a decent compressor for your signal chain in the near future.
Either the RNC or the DBX 160x.
Good luck!
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Found some more good deals locally so this is what I was thinking.

- Mic - AT3035 100-160 OR NT1A (200 new locally) ( Which is better for rap vocals. I hear that the 3035 is better overall.)

- Preamp - (DMP3) (125 new locally)

- M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard ($50 locally new)
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 from zZounds.com!

(is this soundcard good enough, or should i invest in something a little better?)

- Mogami Gold XLR mic cables

Sorry for all this undecided bs. I know you have all been here before.

The preamp is alright, for the price im getting it at I can make my money back when I sell it in the future. Same with the soundcard. What kind of quality will I be able to get out of this compared to my USB mic?

I realize this is budget equipment, but its what I can afford right now.
If you go with the 2496, just be aware that you will also have to buy a headphone amplifier as well (it has no headphone jacks).

If you got some decent music stores near you i would suggest going and checking out some of this gear you are interested in. Depending on the store, they might let you test out some stuff, and might even have some used stuff for you to buy to for decent prices.
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Head

Well I made a decision and bought everything new from the Long and Mcquade store you recommended (which is an awesome store by the way)

I stepped up a little bit with the help of my brother and picked up:

AT4033
Mbox2

Recorded a song and it sounds really good. I still dont know how to edit my songs/vocals tho with protools le. That will take long to learn.....
Old 5th September 2008
Glad to hear it. & glad you chose the AT4033. Next should be some Acoustic treatment.
GIK Acoustics.
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
You can get an MBox 2 with PTLE for about $400.00
I think you should go this route with a cheap AT mic for learning...
Old 4th December 2008
Here for the gear

Okay heres MY setup

got a macbook, fast track pro, and a behringer b1 mic.
im thinking about that brick. i record the same vocals.
any advice on anything else? my recordings just sound limited, maybe muffled. Same budget.. any help would be appreciated
Old 5th December 2008
hmm...I don't see how you'd get a muffled sound. Maybe your too close to the mic. Try 6 in. away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search