The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For all the bass players involved in Hip-hop / R&B : how many strings?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Ahhh, bass!

I have 5 basses. 5 string, 4 string fretless, and a couple 4 fretted. When buying a bass, I think its more important how it plays and how it sounds without an amp. If you like then plug it in.

Purchasing a well made neck-thru the body bass will give you more sustain, than any bolt on neck. Pay attention to the neck and frets for bowing and buzzing. You dont want any of that. Electronics and hardware can always be replaced, but if something like the neck is warped, or the wood quality is poor and gives the bass a poor tone, you cant replace that unless you replace the bass.

If you want big booty shaking bass.....5 string neck thru the body!!
stike
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune Prophet View Post

The G&L Tribute L2000 (swamp ash body) looks like a winner so far, followed by the Schecter Diamond Custom 4 (mahagony body)... both can be had new for 500 euro (more or less).

I just saw you listed this bass. They are awesome. Real steals and another one of the few active basses I really love. also, I believe they can be used in passive mode also.

Not a bad selection at all, but I would still go with a Fender Jazz.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I just saw you listed this bass. They are awesome. Real steals and another one of the few active basses I really love. also, I believe they can be used in passive mode also.

Not a bad selection at all, but I would still go with a Fender Jazz.
I hear you Methlab, although I suppose that when you say "Fender Jazz" you don't mean the Fender Standard Jazz Bass Made in Mexico, which is sadly the only one that falls within my price range (500 euro); the used market left aside...

And yes, the G&L Tribute L2000 can be used both in active and passive mode, which is really great for a bass this cheap I would say! I wonder how the G&L sounds in passive mode combined with a sadowsky pre-amp/di pedal.

With all that said, I still can't get over how incredibly FAT (even considering the crappy video/audio conversion) Mike Elizondo's (provinding it was really him) bass sounded in the video clip. Just great. Great playing on Elizondo's side too of course.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune Prophet View Post
I hear you Methlab, although I suppose that when you say "Fender Jazz" you don't mean the Fender Standard Jazz Bass Made in Mexico, which is sadly the only one that falls within my price range (500 euro); the used market left aside...

And yes, the G&L Tribute L2000 can be used both in active and passive mode, which is really great for a bass this cheap I would say! I wonder how the G&L sounds in passive mode combined with a sadowsky pre-amp/di pedal.

With all that said, I still can't get over how incredibly FAT (even considering the crappy video/audio conversion) Mike Elizondo's (provinding it was really him) bass sounded in the video clip. Just great. Great playing on Elizondo's side too of course.
Nothing wrong with MIM Fender, quite a few player's I know prefer them and custom pickups to american made Fenders.

For that matter, I'd rather have an MIM Jazz Bass made at a Fender Factory, than a Made in Korea Bass from the Cort factory, though I heard G&L moved shop again.

Also, as stated already, DO NOT buy a bass or guitar for that matter without playing it first. Instruments are not like P.A. Gear, the quality varies by unit.
Old 30th August 2008
g22
Lives for gear

Autotune - As long as you get a good case, you shouldn't have much trouble with carrying it around. Aside from occasional scratches and dings, bass guitars are pretty rugged, made of solid wood. Not like a keyboard where one dent could screw up the entire electronics and ruin it. 500 euros, whats that in USD? Sounds like you can get a pretty good one. btw I bet your bass teacher will have a pony tail and wear birkenstocks, they all seem to, lol. Good luck,
Old 2nd September 2008
Gibson EB-0

Some people already got it. But that bass is a Gibson EB-0 and it is Mike Elizondo. I stumbled across this thread and thought I would check with Mike.

Brent
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search