The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your Dream Custom Console 500 Series Preamps
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

32 channels of API (API Bus as well)
32 channels of SSL Duality
2 channels of Neve
2 DBX Compressor Banks
Inputs available on ALL channels.
Complete DAW control
Built In Lexicon EFX
Ability to combi-route channels (i.e. SSL eq. through API comp. or vice versa)
A/D Converters - preferably Apogee - on the 1st 4 channels of each channel group (4 on SSL inputs, 4 on API inputs)
Hi Z inputs on the 1st 4 channels of each set
Built In Akai Sampler - probably S Series (for drums and synth basses, man!)
Built In Akai Drum Pad (Classic MPC Style)
Monitor Control Station W/Remote
Wireless Transport Panel
2 Chairs - one equipped with a partially clothed beautiful woman...wait that has nothing to do with the console. I'd still like that though. heh
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
and the moron who said.."yo mfkker..take dat limiter jaun offa dere..cuz i dont want nuttin to stop my joint from blowin up"
lmfao!!!!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
Well Ken i might not be on your level but still a AWS 900 would be enough of dream console for me.
your not at my level YET. but i am workin very hard to keep you off my heels. now i gotta get back to mixin, there are hits to be made!
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
and the moron who said.."yo mfkker..take dat limiter jaun offa dere..cuz i dont want nuttin to stop my joint from blowin up"
hahah come on now.. gotta be bull****tin now!

was he laughin along with that statement or straight serious?
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
hahah come on now.. gotta be bull****tin now!

was he laughin along with that statement or straight serious?
He was dead serios..
Another thing he did:
I wrote some words to several of his tracks and so one day he comes barreling into the control room at the time waving the songwritiners agreements and yells....."yo muffuka..y'all is always tryna keep a brotha down!!
so I said.."whatcha mean man"?
he says.."I thought me and you was down on this joint!!"
I said..yeah man,thats right,we are 50/50

so dude says."well then ..whos this Harry Fox muffuka??"
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
he was dead serios..
Another thing he did:
I wrote some words to several of his tracks and so one day he comes barreling into the control room at the time waving the songwritiners agreements and yells....."yo muffuka..y'll is always tryna keep a brotha down!!
so i said.."whatcha mean man"?
He says.."i thought me and you was down on this joint!!"
i said..yeah man,thats right,we are 50/50

so dude says."well then ..whos this harry fox muffuka??"
rofl
Old 31st August 2008
Gear Maniac

does it matter?
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareofdogs View Post
does it matter?
Wow...you're a lot of fun to be around aren't you? Someone in the music industry without an imagination huh? So you're either an A+R rep or a jingle writer. heh
Old 4th September 2008
i'd take all of the best bits of studjo's Harrison idea (The digitally controlled analog combined with Hi resolution displays & touchscreen routing wizardry plus automation.. ) And create a Digitally controlled Dual Path switchable Channel with Class-A & Germanium Mic/Line Preamp with variable impedance...Full Analogue Dynamics section (Expander/Gate - Compressor switchable opto/FET & feedback/feedforward designs with full filter sidechain.... A Hybrid EQ section HP/LP Filters with Resonance and full 20-20k cutoff + 4 band fully parametric section minimum phase 10Hz - 30kHz Response with High and Low Cut/Boost Passive Inductor Shelving Filters...

then add to that dykstrasters 500 series tone behemoth of a suggestion with different Pre, Compressor & EQ combinations..

THEN ADD!! heh ( my own contribution to the table)

Variphase and Insert Blend Functions on each channel....
Surround and Stereo Panners...

48 Channels worth oughtta do it.. 24 Harrison stylee on Left of Master Section with Hi Res monitoring and touchscreen routing for the 24x3 banks of 500 series channel modules on right... imagine being able to audition combinations of preamp, comp and eq at the touch of a button with no patching!! Hardware plugins 100% !!!! Tasteeeee!!!hehhehheh

Top it all off with an extended Master/group section comprising of
8 Group/Buss Faders with full EQ, Dynamics & Inserts with Blend - Stereo linkable pairs...M/S or Stereo Switchable Width/Depth Control on Master Buss

Separate Stereo & 5.1 Master Faders with blendable Class A or Valve makeup amps, switchable Transformer Outputs + separate Passive Buss output routable to Mic Pre's for further options (both always active)

Full Touchscreen Control Room Section with monitoring of Masters, Groups, Auxes, Cue outputs and 24 matrix input external Returns (configurable for stereo or 5.1) with Integrated Spectrafoo type metering...switchable to the output from the DAW for touchscreen

now that oughtta do it...!! Ultimate control, Automation and sound combined with the monitoring facilites of a mastering console.. More Tone than a Tony Bennett impersonator convention! hey!! ...no-one said it had to be small!! ;-) Can you imagine the size of racking and power requirements this thing would need to have!!! Its not gonna be one for the project studio!! But hey. the dream console can only go in the dream studio right..? Separate Machine Room's a given right? :-) Control Room Acoustically Ambient and flat 20-20k with line of sight to all other recording areas.. Abbey Road style live room for tracking those string sessions.. overdub booths of varying types from dead to untreated stone.. a variable acoustic echo chamber with Schoeps Surround mic...
think i'd better stop now....
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Head
32 channel, 8 group sections, 4 bus faders separate from the groups, matrix, 8 auxiliaries, sweepable high pass and low pass, 6 band para-EQ with adjustable bell sizes (with frequency detents at a 'normal' spot for each), and 6 LED metering per fader next to the fader. And if money is no object, let's throw in a full featured analog compressor, limiter, and gate for each channel, bus, and master; and also 192kHz A/D/A conversion per channel for digital recording and an analog final mix.

When can you have one ready for me? And will $1,000 be enough to cover it?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

my dream

48 channel vintage neve with 1073's on every channel and of course with DAW automation and fader control

3 inserts per channel for outcboard comps / fx

minimum 8 buss

SSL G master comp.

a/d - d/a convertor built in per channel

computer recoginition software of external hardware unit information to store hardware settings for easier mix recall

built-in area to hold all the plaques that would be earned
Old 3rd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesp04 View Post
48 channel vintage neve with 1073's on every channel and of course with DAW automation and fader control

3 inserts per channel for outcboard comps / fx

minimum 8 buss

SSL G master comp.

a/d - d/a convertor built in per channel

computer recoginition software of external hardware unit information to store hardware settings for easier mix recall

built-in area to hold all the plaques that would be earned
Hmmm....you do realize you only need one insert per channel on a real desk, and you can chain together as many pieces of gear as you need? As for A/D - D/A per channel...how come? Just to save rack space?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear
16 channels of API and 16 of Neve would be a great start for me!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Hmmm....you do realize you only need one insert per channel on a real desk, and you can chain together as many pieces of gear as you need? As for A/D - D/A per channel...how come? Just to save rack space?
well if we're dreaming, who doesn't want better conversion too? THat's why I put Prisms in my mixer dream 6 months ago, along with the Klein & Hummel monitors.

Dream big or go home I always sayheh
Old 3rd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
well if we're dreaming, who doesn't want better conversion too? THat's why I put Prisms in my mixer dream 6 months ago, along with the Klein & Hummel monitors.

Dream big or go home I always sayheh
Yeah, I was just wondering why have them onboard? I can't really see any practical advantage to doing it this way, and it seems there'd be a number of disadvantages.

Just sayin'...
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Yeah, I was just wondering why have them onboard? I can't really see any practical advantage to doing it this way, and it seems there'd be a number of disadvantages.

Just sayin'...
word
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

All the knobs gotta have SPINNERS.

heh
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

dreamin

multiple inserts to just have as many options as possible in case of wanting to chain whatever i like

ad/da per channel just to have it all in one place cuz i'm lazy and i like the concept if i can afford a console one day to have it be all built-in (pre's, eq's, busses, sends, etc.) it would be it would be like my 21st century beast and a beautiful hybrid.

and for those who were curious about the neve choice it's just my buddy who engineers for me prefers neve so whenever we do anything we only go to places that have neves and 1073's so that's the only "sound" that i'm accustomed to and i've enjoyed my results so far (albeit not a lot of experience)

anyways...just my ideas
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
48 channels, in-line, meter bridge, 8 buss with 500 series slots inserted, 6 aux, external ps

500 series frames for pre, eq (pre/post direct), and comp (pre/post eq and direct) 12 channels dedicated for double-wide slots (gotta get those Great River and LaChapells in there some how)

built-in patch bay

built-in Prism Ad/Da per channel and buss with an analog tape/daw mode flip

those futuristic looking arched faders from the Chandler mixer (automated of course)

cool wood grain side panels like the Wunderbar mixer

daw contol

intergrated touch screen daw monitor

integrated Klein & Hummel 300 near fields

comes with a shopping spree at Vintage King and Mercenary to load the slots

oh yeah, and a salad bar style "drool guard"
That is not a dream.

That is a WET dream!
Old 9th January 2012
Here for the gear

Working on it

I'm designing a beautiful contraption which is all modular.

48 channels

Flippable mic and tape inputs with separate gain, pad, phase reverse and phantom power

4-band parametric equaliser with each band able to boost only, cut only or be switched off independently

4 stereo auxes, pan and pre/post for every pair

12mm fader, mute, solo, buss selector for fader-bypassed main mix, main mix and groups. Equalizer toggle, insert toggle and switch to have the insert pre or post eq.

The master section is a bit more complex to explain but there's no wastage!

David Rosales.
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
yeah me too. I was working at a music store at the time, when a customer asked me for a mic with phantom power, cause he wanted spooky sounding vocals. I told him to try Guitar Center.heh

I still wonder if it was a prank.
holy ish!!! I just laughed so hard I had a coughing fit and my eyes started watering lololol
Old 10th January 2012
Deleted 6ccb844
I'd have something that looks like a space ship, super shiny, plenty of knobs and finally I press a button it compacts to the size of an MBOX..

Also it should mix for me, why the hell should I have to do all the work? heh
Old 10th January 2012
Here for the gear

Here it is

These are the modules which will fit in a 56 channel frame.

Now to work on the frame, meterbridge, motherboard and module PCBs!
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
48 channels, in-line, meter bridge, 8 buss with 500 series slots inserted, 6 aux, external ps

500 series frames for pre, eq (pre/post direct), and comp (pre/post eq and direct) 12 channels dedicated for double-wide slots (gotta get those Great River and LaChapells in there some how)

built-in patch bay

built-in Prism Ad/Da per channel and buss with an analog tape/daw mode flip

those futuristic looking arched faders from the Chandler mixer (automated of course)

cool wood grain side panels like the Wunderbar mixer

daw contol

intergrated touch screen daw monitor

integrated Klein & Hummel 300 near fields

comes with a shopping spree at Vintage King and Mercenary to load the slots

oh yeah, and a salad bar style "drool guard"
annnnd jizz

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search