The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best PLace to live to make it as a producer Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Best PLace to live to make it as a producer

Does anyone have any input on places in the US or in the world that are hot spots to make a living off beats and being a recording engineer/producer. I been hearing good things about ATL.I used to think I wanted to move to a citiy with a decent underground circuit but from what I been reading thats not really a direction to go if Im trying to eat. So I need to try and get with up and coming artists and give out stuff free. BUt where is any good locations? Ill move any where.I plan on doing recording for rock or anything that comes my way and Im able to do.I heard that rock biz is even suffering too tough.Are their any areas that are in demand of recording engineers for rock?Wifey keeps talking that she wants to move to North Carolina. Does anyone know anything about that area?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Does anyone have any input on places in the US or in the world that are hot spots to make a living off beats and being a recording engineer/producer. I been hearing good things about ATL.I used to think I wanted to move to a citiy with a decent underground circuit but from what I been reading thats not really a direction to go if Im trying to eat. So I need to try and get with up and coming artists and give out stuff free. BUt where is any good locations? Ill move any where.I plan on doing recording for rock or anything that comes my way and Im able to do.I heard that rock biz is even suffering too tough.Are their any areas that are in demand of recording engineers for rock?Wifey keeps talking that she wants to move to North Carolina. Does anyone know anything about that area?
dude, have you ever recorded a rock band?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I dunno about rock but as far as "urban music", you cant hide in ATL if you have the product and the work ethic. Straight up.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

I swear, I think about moving to ATL at least 4 times a week. Been getting a bit of mix work from down there and it pays sooo much better than local stuff here. Such a rough decision though having kids and a reasonably busy studio here in Pittsburgh. I always worry about the downtime if I did make the move. Eh, maybe someday....
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forget it ,man.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Dang thats encouraging brother.I know some of yall are established and well respected on this forum, but why do yall waste your time to be negative. Just get off the PC. Why waste the time to type for that.I bet when you first started before you established yoursefl, there were people all around you telling you how your not gonna make it.Dont be one of them.Weather I make it or not Im still gona do it cause its my love.At least I can say I experienced it and wont have no regrets. I aint got nothing to lose unlike alot of other cats. I got my self backed up with 3 technical degrees.A.S. in Robotics,A.S. in Computer Engineering and a B.S. in Electrical Engineering.It wasnt my world but I did it for my kids, but I hated it. And people told me I wouldnt finish high school cause I have "a learning dissabilty".ADD and slight Dislexia. I suck at math so do you have any idea how much I had to push myself to get through engineering?I can do anything I set my mind to.Im doing this right now,so are some of yall here to inspire or be the same type of attitudes you were faced with when you first followed your dream?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Ken nah I aint never recorded rock. Why?But IM going back to school for Music production technology next month.If its just knowledge,experience and an ear. I can figure it out.Hopefully but if not it is what it is. I find my place somewhere.Between my investmenst,wifeys income and disability for the military.If I could even make 20K off music we will still bring home 60K a year. So Im living with 32K cause Im in school again and Im content.I used to spend all my money on material things and cars,shine,clothes,parting.I sold all that s***. I dont need that mentality no more.Im cool with my 1600sqft crib,99 GS 300,plain clothes,paid bills,a vacation ayear with the famz and following my dream.If I can do that with 32K I deffinately can do it with 60K or even 40K.But the dissability wont come till wifey is out of the airforce in ayear.Enough of my life story. Why you ask about rock?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dang thats encouraging brother.I know some of yall are established and well respected on this forum, but why do yall waste your time to be negative. Just get off the PC. Why waste the time to type for that.I bet when you first started before you established yoursefl, there were people all around you telling you how your not gonna make it.Dont be one of them.Weather I make it or not Im still gona do it cause its my love.At least I can say I experienced it and wont have no regrets. I aint got nothing to lose unlike alot of other cats. I got my self backed up with 3 technical degrees.A.S. in Robotics,A.S. in Computer Engineering and a B.S. in Electrical Engineering.It wasnt my world but I did it for my kids, but I hated it. And people told me I wouldnt finish high school cause I have "a learning dissabilty".ADD and slight Dislexia. I suck at math so do you have any idea how much I had to push myself to get through engineering?I can do anything I set my mind to.Im doing this right now,so are some of yall here to inspire or be the same type of attitudes you were faced with when you first followed your dream?
Just keeping it real as they say.

Its very hard these days, so I do not think its a wise idea to enter the field right now just when many studio are closing their doors.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I meant to say pre-Electrical Engineering B.S.I got 3/4 done but withdrew cause I decided to dedicate myself music fulltime plus I hated that corporate world.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

curriculum vitae.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

No question philly but let me ask you a question. I dont know how your doing today but if you you knew when you started that the music biz would be what it is now,wouldnt you still have done it all over again?There has got to be somewhere in the world that is in need of engineers/Producers. Im willing to move to Berlin,Toronto,NC,ATL or where ever.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
curriculum vitae.
????
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I dont know if your asking if Im fronting but I just finished Engineering math 2,Digital LOgic and C++. JUst slide by with all Cs.Want a resume too?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

if you are really good at what you do the work will come to you. especially these day's with file transfering and publicity as easy as it is. i live in nyc but have work coming in from all over. i have a buddy that lived here for years, moved to south carolina and still gets sent loads of work from here and all over. bottom line, if you're motivated and talented and have good people skills you'll be able to make at least some money with you're music. you're just going to have to dive in full force and see what happens. if not than it sure is a fun hobby! let something else pay the bills and enjoy life, your family, and don't feel like your love of music has to be you're only income.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
????
don't worry, my sense of humor is a bit off at times, my brain is wired a bit differently.
it's just that imo you shared so much private info in just two replies.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I meant to say pre-Electrical Engineering B.S.I got 3/4 done but withdrew cause I decided to dedicate myself music fulltime plus I hated that corporate world.
what was wrong with the corporate world.... Im working at a non proft now. I need more skrilla I may go for that corporate money for the long haul..

Im in IT.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

No doubt I did go wild but im genuine. Rubs me wrong when cats just jump on here to throw their 2 cent insults in cause their bored. Im on here cause im exited about learning, not cause I aint got nothing better to do sitting in front of my PC waiting for the next new thread so I can drop a comment. I aint saying thats you homie cause I dont know you or anyone else on this site but lets all keep that in mind.But dhiltonlittle, thats is true with how the biz is nowadays it dont matter as much where you live as long as you got connects and skills. Which I already do have through homies in the game. I just gotta throw myself in it and make the commitment to perfect my craft.But I have other s*** up my sleeve for income.I know beatz aint really realistic for paying the bills thats why I want to expand my abilities to have more ops to make it.But your right if it dont work as a biz I always have it as a hobby.Thats cool if thats what god got for me. But I my hobby will be that much more on ponit if I dedicate my self now as to how I need to, to take it as serious as a biz.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
No question philly but let me ask you a question. I dont know how your doing today but if you you knew when you started that the music biz would be what it is now,wouldnt you still have done it all over again?There has got to be somewhere in the world that is in need of engineers/Producers. Im willing to move to Berlin,Toronto,NC,ATL or where ever.
Im doing GREAT,thank you.
Im sure that there are places for sure......but...what you want to do is s specialized field and is not something you jump right into.
It takes years pf practice and application and a FEEL for the MUSIC which you desire to work on.
So,having said that..forgive me if I come off harsh but thats the way I have to run it down at times..on the real side.
I take NO prisoners in this game.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont know if your asking if Im fronting but I just finished Engineering math 2,Digital LOgic and C++. JUst slide by with all Cs.Want a resume too?
Thats got NOTHING to do with wanting to be a producer and recording engineer
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

All it takes is a detailed business plan. Make tiers of success, i.e. like what's needed to achieve X amount of dollars, then one that's slightly less, then another one that's the absolute minimum amount of cash u can live on. Have enough cash to live off of for 6 months to supplement the new area and market (that's the safest bet, but if your hustle is right you can live off alot less). As far as places to be, I'd say Miami or Atlanta. Other than that, any other major city, where you can recruit as many clients as possible. But remember, making a plan and trying to overachieve on that plan is the safest way to win. You'll have to step into other areas of the hustle too and learn alot of extra stuff. Be a step ahead of the competition. You gotta market and promote some kind of music as an example (will probably entail some photoshop, after effect, video editting type of skills), be able to talk and communicate with people and get the to like you and wanna work with you, have to able to be able to seal the deal and selling the service, know what you are gonna provide and if there are missing links be able to fill those voids through other (more of a long term goal), in the end the client has to be more than happy with whatever you give them. It's a lot of lot of work, but making a plan, checking it over and over, sticking to the plan, and knowing when and how to take advantage of the right opportunities can lead to success.

Anyway, beats and record producing for hiphop is def. ATL and MIA at the moment. Setup shop, hustle, and grind like it's not tomorrow.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
All it takes is a detailed business plan. Make tiers of success, i.e. like what's needed to achieve X amount of dollars, then one that's slightly less, then another one that's the absolute minimum amount of cash u can live on. Have enough cash to live off of for 6 months to supplement the new area and market (that's the safest bet, but if your hustle is right you can live off alot less). As far as places to be, I'd say Miami or Atlanta. Other than that, any other major city, where you can recruit as many clients as possible. But remember, making a plan and trying to overachieve on that plan is the safest way to win. You'll have to step into other areas of the hustle too and learn alot of extra stuff. Be a step ahead of the competition. You gotta market and promote some kind of music as an example (will probably entail some photoshop, after effect, video editting type of skills), be able to talk and communicate with people and get the to like you and wanna work with you, have to able to be able to seal the deal and selling the service, know what you are gonna provide and if there are missing links be able to fill those voids through other (more of a long term goal), in the end the client has to be more than happy with whatever you give them. It's a lot of lot of work, but making a plan, checking it over and over, sticking to the plan, and knowing when and how to take advantage of the right opportunities can lead to success.

Anyway, beats and record producing for hiphop is def. ATL and MIA at the moment. Setup shop, hustle, and grind like it's not tomorrow.
Good looking.I can deffinatelty do all that.Thankx for the wisdom and positivety homie.I like your attitude.
Old 17th August 2008
Quote:
If I could even make 20K off music we will still bring home 60K a year.
It took me two years of full-time studio gigging to start making $20k/year. Now I'm happy to see $30k...

This job ain't for folks with expensive tastes/habits...
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

In this age its more what you can do than where you are. Most producers on the grind are travelling between ATL, Miami, New York, LA and working with as many artists as they can. At the same time they are sending tracks to artists half way across the world, and working with songwriters via ichat.

Try grinding on the internet first! Email as many A&R's as you can, get a myspace going. PUT YOUR BEATS UP ON GS!!!! See what producers have to say about your music. If you place a few records, get some attention from labels/mangers, then take the plunge to move out.

Your thinking two steps ahead of your first homie...
Old 17th August 2008
Believe it or not....

The Far East.

By the far east i mean Taiwan and China. There is a big underground hiphop/R&b/rock & roll movement that's popping off. China's economy is ever growing and there is a billion people there. In Taiwan there are Hiphop/R&b clubs popping up all over. I've mixed a couple of projects from over there done by producers here. It really is an untapped resource. Been learning a little Mandarin to be able to communicate better. Next year i am planning a trip over there to meet with record labels and people with money that want to invest in music.

Its the future and whoever jumps on it first and does it right will make the real dough before all of the wannabees jump in.

When the doors come down in China watchout!!!
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Just dont fool yourself into thinking that its gonna happen overnight..because it aint!!
As you may notice I dont mince my words..take it or leave it,homes.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good looking.I can deffinatelty do all that.Thankx for the wisdom and positivety homie.I like your attitude.

No prob homie! Focus, grind, and stick to a plan. If you get into a position to bring others along, do what you can within your bounds. You always want that positive karma!
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ken nah I aint never recorded rock. Why?But IM going back to school for Music production technology next month.If its just knowledge,experience and an ear. I can figure it out.Hopefully but if not it is what it is.......... Why you ask about rock?
I ask because rock happens to be one of the most difficult and challenging fields for engineers to get good at and be successful at. Engineering R&B and Hip Hop is easy in comparison (not that its easy), but with rock you are dealing with live instruments, live players, full drum kits, guitar amps, a ton of stuff that the typical R&B or hip hop engineer might see once a year. And if you dont know how to record a drum kit, on the job learning is not the way.

Let me use Avatar Studios for an example. (Used to be called Power Station and is one of the legendary rock rooms in the world, located in New York City). There are guys who are staff ASSISTANTS who have been there for YEARS, who are not yet engineers. Now they would probably engineer circles around most of us, because they've learned every day from the best engineers and producers, but they are still mostly assisting. that should give you an idea of how hard it is to become a successful full time rock engineer.

you approach it like its something easy, like one day your just gonna wake up, and people are gonna start paying you to record rock bands. Not gonna happen. Plus the investment in gear to record rock bands is typically much steeper than to record R&B and Hip Hop. trust me, I've made both investments, and i work heavily in both genre's.

Honestly, if you expect to make $20K a year doing this, just expect it to take a long time before you start making that kind of money, and also expect to live a life consumed by work, so you can kiss all that extra family time goodbye. that is, if you want to be successful. Success in this field RARELY comes with a 40 hour work week. just some food for thought.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I ask because rock happens to be one of the most difficult and challenging fields for engineers to get good at and be successful at. Engineering R&B and Hip Hop is easy in comparison (not that its easy), but with rock you are dealing with live instruments, live players, full drum kits, guitar amps, a ton of stuff that the typical R&B or hip hop engineer might see once a year. And if you dont know how to record a drum kit, on the job learning is not the way.

Let me use Avatar Studios for an example. (Used to be called Power Station and is one of the legendary rock rooms in the world, located in New York City). There are guys who are staff ASSISTANTS who have been there for YEARS, who are not yet engineers. Now they would probably engineer circles around most of us, because they've learned every day from the best engineers and producers, but they are still mostly assisting. that should give you an idea of how hard it is to become a successful full time rock engineer.

you approach it like its something easy, like one day your just gonna wake up, and people are gonna start paying you to record rock bands. Not gonna happen. Plus the investment in gear to record rock bands is typically much steeper than to record R&B and Hip Hop. trust me, I've made both investments, and i work heavily in both genre's.

Honestly, if you expect to make $20K a year doing this, just expect it to take a long time before you start making that kind of money, and also expect to live a life consumed by work, so you can kiss all that extra family time goodbye. that is, if you want to be successful. Success in this field RARELY comes with a 40 hour work week. just some food for thought.
did you mean $20 000? coz to be honest, that isnt a whole lot of money to have to work your ass off for. or have i misunderstood?
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

The hot spots are def in Miami, NY, ATL, LA, and Houston. I know alot of producers in my state (NJ), that can compete with the big name producers....

Its all about having good management and marketing skills...GO out look for a artist that you can boost as well as him/her boosting you...Therefore you guys can break together and found a nice sound....I think that's the best way to do it, and i kno this paragraph was a little off topic......

Also you can hit up Sony BMG Music Entertainment they have contacts mainly labels, that you can call and possibly see if you can send some material...

Payce...
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post

Thats what Im talking about!!thumbsupthumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search