The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixes without basslines? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
The city of Brotherly love and multiple stab wounds.
Yes..but not in the studios ..I had asked if anyone had witnessed gunplay in the STUDIOS.

As far a violence in the streets is concerned,unfortunately Philly is way up on the list.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Back to basses

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Yes..but not in the studios ..I had asked if anyone had witnessed gunplay in the STUDIOS.

As far a violence in the streets is concerned,unfortunately Philly is way up on the list.
On the way to the studio is another story. I hate getting out of a studio in the middle of germantown at midnight and having to take the damn subway back home. But I've never had a problem in a studio with people being violent. Philly's a trip though.

Any whose..... I've done a number of my own productions without basslines. Actually I had a recent problem with my song "jitterbug" with Gift of Gab from Blackalicious on there. I just couldn't make a bassline work. Without a bass, my sound felt thin. The beat was actually just a horn sample a drum beat, and an 808 kick underneath the drum line. So, I scooped a lot of mid out of the horns and turned them up, basically giving them more highs and low mids. I added a bit of high-bass content to the drums which really helped defined them nicely. I used the 808 to fill out the sub area where a bass might have been had its low end. But really, I just presented a song that doesn't have a bass in it. It still sounds good, I didn't have to fake a bass. I think Hip Hop traditionally favors bass so much that we think that we NEED to have it. But a lot of great songs don't have basses in them and that's that.

My mantra for mixing is bring out the best sound for what's there. You simple can't add anything to a mix that isn't there to begin with. Period.

If you really feel hardcore about a bass though, contact the producer, see if they'll add one in.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG Productions View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent. My main issue with what you are saying is that as a professional engineer or producer you are here to provide a service to the client who hired you. That means first and foremost you job is to help the client reach thier musical goals in a easy, creative and efficient manner. Obviously as an engineer this should be accomplished without imparting too much of you personal beliefs into the session. You have to find a ballance between serving your client and sticking to your guns because at the end of the day they pay you not the other way around. As a teen when I used to be a rapper I hated going to studios and hearing an engineer tell me no and continue to give me excuses of why things won't work and how I need to change this and that. As a client the last thing I want is someone I hired telling me is no. People like that usually only worked with me once. Sucessfull engineers and producers make a way to turn the impossible into reality. Its not about sticking to your guns all the time because at the end of the day in every line of work you must pick and choose you battles wisely. I see it all to often espically with my black community everybody talkin bout "I aint doin this, I aint doin that" man give me a break. If you expect to enforce your will on every situation you come across in life you must be damn near perfect. People generally like to travel the path of least resistance. One must learn to carry themselves with out too much turbulence. Sticking to your guns is cool as long as you have the biggest and baddest gun in the room. Just remember if you live by the gun you die by the gun.
I thought we were suppose to be talking about ethics in doing business; or at least thats what I meant to be talking about.

For me personally, I stick to my beliefs in a sense that I would not cheat another guy out of credits, money, etc. I try my best to play fair, even when I see opportunities to take advantage of someone else in certain situations, unless that someone in question is not playing fair themselves. Karma can be a bad mofo.

IMO, that's what I would call integrity, and no matter what happens in the game, I would not change my beliefs for anything or anyone. The problem with that though, is it doesnt work for everybody. If people don't respect you, they wont give a **** about doing things your way, or treating you fairly. You either gotta be someone who is intimidating and commands respect, or someone that everyone likes. If you are like me, then you are a mixture of the two.

Guns don't come in anywhere in this conversation. You hold a gun, or you want to talk guns, then you gotta be prepared to man up when **** gets brought to you. Hence the saying "if you live by the gun, be prepared to die by the gun".
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

When you have to mix without a bassline. I'd say ref some Public Enemy or LL songs..
There are a few without a bassline.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
On the way to the studio is another story. I hate getting out of a studio in the middle of germantown at midnight and having to take the damn subway back home. But I've never had a problem in a studio with people being violent. Philly's a trip though.

Any whose..... I've done a number of my own productions without basslines. Actually I had a recent problem with my song "jitterbug" with Gift of Gab from Blackalicious on there. I just couldn't make a bassline work. Without a bass, my sound felt thin. The beat was actually just a horn sample a drum beat, and an 808 kick underneath the drum line. So, I scooped a lot of mid out of the horns and turned them up, basically giving them more highs and low mids. I added a bit of high-bass content to the drums which really helped defined them nicely. I used the 808 to fill out the sub area where a bass might have been had its low end. But really, I just presented a song that doesn't have a bass in it. It still sounds good, I didn't have to fake a bass. I think Hip Hop traditionally favors bass so much that we think that we NEED to have it. But a lot of great songs don't have basses in them and that's that.

My mantra for mixing is bring out the best sound for what's there. You simple can't add anything to a mix that isn't there to begin with. Period.

If you really feel hardcore about a bass though, contact the producer, see if they'll add one in.
Which studio do you work out of?
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Freelance

I free lance for hip hop cats. There are a couple of studios in that area, one owned by one of the delfonics, and the other owned by a guy named kush salimar. But mostly, I work in my home studio now.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

i see you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Are you a beatmaker?

If so, I truly don't mean to offend you with this next question, I'm genuinely just curious:

As a beatmaker, do you feel that the sanctity of your composition should not be altered in any way, even if it's by a mix engineer you trust? If there's no bass to be brought out, and the arrangement is really lacking in it, wouldn't you welcome a competent mix engineer's suggestions?

I'm sure there are times where a producer/beatmaker is intentionally leaving a bassline out, but I also feel that sometimes the attitude of "just live with it" is lazy and/or plays to the fragility of the beatmaker's ego. I'd much rather do a great job than indulge a client's ego, however, if the client is unwilling to take constructive criticism I'll keep my mouth shut.
i'm an artist first so i'll give you that perspective:
all i care about is the end result i don't care if 28 people had to mix it, master it, and play instruments all over it as long as the end song is good i'm happy cuz good song = $$$ for me

as a producer:
i often prefer to have my initial song as true to form as possible BUT I'm always open to suggestions because I as well want the best end result. I have gotten comments from my engineer before saying "you know you got no bridge in this song right?" and sometimes I did it like that on purpose and sometimes I'd be like "huh, maybe I'll try to think of something" sometimes I keep the changes sometimes I don't. With something like a bassline I would take the same approach. The difficulty you'll often have is many producers (especially in hip-hop) don't play many instruments I have the luxury of being like "oh ok I'm going to change that part" because I play all my instruments but if i didn't i gotta come out of my pockets to hire a bass player for YOUR suggestion (unless you play whatever instrument is related to the change you're suggesting). so that can make it tough.

I would take the approach that i mentioned above of "you know you don't have ____ in the arrangement/song/beat right?" they'll either be like "yeah i did it on purpose" or "what do u suggest?" if their pride will allow them to do so...

sorry the post was long but i hope this helps you/anyone in the future...
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Killing Me Softly - Fugees - love that mix. From memory, I believe that is a bass-less track isn't it?

anyway I guess this is slightly OT as I'm not providing any suggestions
Definitely not. There is a sick ass bassline on that track.

A lot of down south 808 beats have no bassline. They let the 808 handle the boom.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post

I think I posted this before, but I got stuck in that hood across from the Electric Factory after playing a gig, and I was a bit shook. I had a hot black girl with me, and I'm a white guy. It was a little intense, but I am here to tell the tale. Ended up at a badass house party there though. Walking to the bus was the main concern..lol.
Old 4th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Definitely not. There is a sick ass bassline on that track.

A lot of down south 808 beats have no bassline. They let the 808 handle the boom.
Remember, the thread wasn't so much about songs without basslines; it's about songs with arrangement problems (such as missing LF info that a bassline could provide). My choice for the title wasn't really well thought-out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search