The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixes without basslines? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Get what you can get, but do so with integrity.

THAT'S what I'm saying.
Integrity in the music business?
Old 14th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
What about when the Artist/Label pays a "fee" that is an advance against future royalties of the producer/artist?

And I'm NOT confusing points with publishing.
The same economics apply to the studio, engineer, and mixer hired to make the record. No need to put the "fee" in quotes.

The artist pays back that fee as part of recouping (and nobody sees any income from their points till the record's recouped); what's your point? I'm a few drinks in this evening (a rare night off for me, and a celebration of my girlfriend's birthday!), so forgive me if I'm a bit slowheh. But I'm not following the point of your question...

EDIT: saw you deleted that post, saw your reason why, and I think I get what you're getting at. I don't think it really applies to this discussion, although it's an interesting topic. Maybe a conversation for another time...?
Old 14th August 2008
Quote:
Heh...a fella can dream.

Seriously, though, my interest is in NOT screwing the artist. They've got enough crap to deal with. Get what you can get from the label, but don't screw the artist. That's my approach, and it's been keeping me quite busy these past couple years (even with labels, oddly enoughheh).
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get what you can get, but do so with integrity.

THAT'S what I'm saying.
thumbsupthumbsupTHATS what we are talking about.
Where is the integrity these days??
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Is this unique to the music biz?
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well....... How does one survive in the pack full of wolves that this industry is if you aren't some what ruthless. I know it can be done but some would say if you are dumb enough to be taken advantage of you deserved it. In an industry where prices are set by the talent as long as people are willing to give you what your skills command whats the problem. If I'm a beatmaker who ask for a point on an album and get it whats the problem if someone else thinks I deserve it or not. The person cutting the check thought other wise.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

The best thing you can do as a mixing engineer is use your best judgement. If the producer seems like a person who would be open to suggestions, then try making one. If you cant tell whether or not they would take offense to it, just do the best you can. To go ahead and do something yourself can be seen as disrespectful if your client did not give you the permission ahead of time. You are not the producer, and unless your client says do whatever you can to make the music sound good, you would be trying to step into his or her role by trying to add new parts to their work. tutt Its not about anyone having fragile egos, its about everyone having a different point of view. You may see things differently than the producer did at the time of making that record. If you have concerns for the track, and its beyond your skills and knowledge to fix your concerns without dubbing in something totally different, you have the right to talk about it with your client. After all, your reputation as a mix engineer is on the line too. Artist, Producer, Mix Engineer, and Mastering Engineer have to all collab together to make sure the end product sounds amazing. Sometimes a lot of compromise comes into play.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Missing integrity seems to be one of the biggest problems in the music business if you ask me.

You dont have to be an asshole to make it big in life, but actions speak louder than words. Its up to all the people who arent assholes to step their game up and prove what I'm saying.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear
I haven't read thru the whole thread so apologies if I mention something which has already been covered. I had the same problem with a mix i was doing for someone this week.

To sort it out, I put in a constant sine wave in the key of the track and put a gate on it, I then keyed the gate to the kick and adjusted the release until I got the amount of sustain I wanted.

I also boosted a bit of 120 on the vox and some low end in a few other sounds which helped.

The client didn't really notice anything extra in the track but did comment on how much "fatter" it sounded.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Missing integrity seems to be one of the biggest problems in the music business if you ask me.

You dont have to be an asshole to make it big in life, but actions speak louder than words. Its up to all the people who arent assholes to step their game up and prove what I'm saying.
Sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Good luck trying to find integrity there. Plenty of people aren't assholes but this game could make a nun turn slut.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Good luck trying to find integrity there. Plenty of people aren't assholes but this game could make a nun turn slut.
Just as long as she is Sister Gearslut>>
Old 15th August 2008
Maybe I've just been unusually lucky, but most of the really successful pros I've had the good fortune to meet and work with/for have been extremely nice and absolutely full of integrity. They're also quite business-savvy, and not stupid by any means, but they're good, honest people that artists have an easy time connecting with and feeling comfortable around.

I just don't buy the whole "you need to be a dickhead" attitude. You just need to be smart and prepared.
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

You are lucky. If only I could really be honest and tell yall the truth about the behavior and games and b/s I have witnessed the "Pros" in this game play with money your head would explode.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG Productions View Post
You are lucky. If only I could really be honest and tell yall the truth about the behavior and games and b/s I have witnessed the "Pros" in this game play with money your head would explode.
I wouldn't survive the hustle. Not if it's as bad as (what I could only imagine) you're referring too...
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

Man you think you wouldn't survive but at the end of the day I make a nice living doing what I love to do even with the b/s involved. Yeah it takes six months to get paid sometimes and the road to sucess in this industry is loaded with pot holes and pit falls but I get a thrill out of going to work everyday and having the posibility that today might be the day I cash in that golden ticket. All it takes is "one hit". Weather you're an intern, runner, assistant engineer, tracking engineer, mix engineer, beat maker, producer, or song writer, one session can change your life. One hot record can catapult you into the elite status and thats what drives me on a daily basis. I give 110% everyday on that quest for that one hit. You never know when its gonna happen. As soon as you quit the verry next day could have been your break. What other industry can you work in and literally have a chance at the top everyday.
And besides for me its a great feeling to be crusing up I-75 at 6am traffic free wile the southbound lanes are jammed with commuter traffic fighting to get to jobs they hate.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I've just been unusually lucky, but most of the really successful pros I've had the good fortune to meet and work with/for have been extremely nice and absolutely full of integrity. They're also quite business-savvy, and not stupid by any means, but they're good, honest people that artists have an easy time connecting with and feeling comfortable around.

I just don't buy the whole "you need to be a dickhead" attitude. You just need to be smart and prepared.
You know it's funny you would say they are good people that artists have an easy time connecting with (it implies you may not be talking about the artists themselves.

THAT is where I come across some assholes.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG Productions View Post
All it takes is "one hit".
Amen to that
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Maniac

God Lives Underwater had a lot of tunes without a bassline.
I think it all comes down to what works with the song and what the artist is comfortable with.
Old 15th August 2008
Quote:
You know it's funny you would say they are good people that artists have an easy time connecting with (it implies you may not be talking about the artists themselves.

THAT is where I come across some assholes.
Heh...well, I wasn't gonna say it, but...

Seriously, though, the studio cats I've met have mostly been cool.

I've dealt with PLENTY of rockstar assholes, though...
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

One of the NICEST rap artists I have ever met has to be Chamillionaire.
He was working at Ameraycan studios in North Hollywood at the same time I was working there.
No possie..just his producer and bodyguard.
And we also attended the AMA s at the same time.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well obviously me and you havent met or worked with the same type of people. Maybe I just got lucky there, for which I am thankful.

Artists are another story though, at lot of artists I have met are ego maniacs, IMO most only because they think thats how they have to be in order to appear more untouchable to those around them, which in return they think will earn them the most respect. Sounds like something you would do to attract women, not make good music. On the other hand, catch a lot of those people outside of doing music, and they can be the most chillen people you ever met. Sounds stupid but a lot of people these days seem to only use a quarter of their intelligence anyway.

As for turning nuns into sluts, people are who they are from the beginning bro. If a certain nun can be convertered into a slut, it probably means she wasn't much of a nun to begin with, believe that. The strongest people are those who stick to their guns, no matter what anyone else tries to do or has to say about it. Like someone else was sayin, there are too much p***ies in the studio and in regular day life. Not too much people stand up and create movements or trends anymore. People rather leave themselves open for being manipulated. Thats their cup of tea though.
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well obviously me and you havent met or worked with the same type of people. Maybe I just got lucky there, for which I am thankful.

Artists are another story though, at lot of artists I have met are ego maniacs, IMO most only because they think thats how they have to be in order to appear more untouchable to those around them, which in return they think will earn them the most respect. Sounds like something you would do to attract women, not make good music. On the other hand, catch a lot of those people outside of doing music, and they can be the most chillen people you ever met. Sounds stupid but a lot of people these days seem to only use a quarter of their intelligence anyway.

As for turning nuns into sluts, people are who they are from the beginning bro. If a certain nun can be convertered into a slut, it probably means she wasn't much of a nun to begin with, believe that. The strongest people are those who stick to their guns, no matter what anyone else tries to do or has to say about it. Like someone else was sayin, there are too much p***ies in the studio and in regular day life. Not too much people stand up and create movements or trends anymore. People rather leave themselves open for being manipulated. Thats their cup of tea though.
I have to pipe up here and randomly announce that I like your style, Pettycash! Generally find healthy postings next to your tasty avatar .......heh

Let there be more integrity by holding on to your own, f*** the ones who sell/give away/put theirs in the gutter........no need to 'lemming out' and jump after them, eyh??

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

I agree with you to a certain extent. My main issue with what you are saying is that as a professional engineer or producer you are here to provide a service to the client who hired you. That means first and foremost you job is to help the client reach thier musical goals in a easy, creative and efficient manner. Obviously as an engineer this should be accomplished without imparting too much of you personal beliefs into the session. You have to find a ballance between serving your client and sticking to your guns because at the end of the day they pay you not the other way around. As a teen when I used to be a rapper I hated going to studios and hearing an engineer tell me no and continue to give me excuses of why things won't work and how I need to change this and that. As a client the last thing I want is someone I hired telling me is no. People like that usually only worked with me once. Sucessfull engineers and producers make a way to turn the impossible into reality. Its not about sticking to your guns all the time because at the end of the day in every line of work you must pick and choose you battles wisely. I see it all to often espically with my black community everybody talkin bout "I aint doin this, I aint doin that" man give me a break. If you expect to enforce your will on every situation you come across in life you must be damn near perfect. People generally like to travel the path of least resistance. One must learn to carry themselves with out too much turbulence. Sticking to your guns is cool as long as you have the biggest and baddest gun in the room. Just remember if you live by the gun you die by the gun.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Speaking of guns, have any of you encountered "gunplay" in the studio?
Old 15th August 2008
Quote:
Speaking of guns, have any of you encountered "gunplay" in the studio?
More ****-talking and people flashing their pieces than actually threatening anybody with them, but...yeah.

And, uh, not just with rappers. In fact, the scariest time I had a gun pulled on me at work was with a VERY famous rock star. He was all high and ****ed up and showing it to me pointing it in my direction.

Damn musicians...
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
More ****-talking and people flashing their pieces than actually threatening anybody with them, but...yeah.

And, uh, not just with rappers. In fact, the scariest time I had a gun pulled on me at work was with a VERY famous rock star. He was all high and ****ed up and showing it to me pointing it in my direction.

Damn musicians...
I gotta tell ya...we NEVER EVER had to deal with knuckleheads with guns in the studio during the heyday.

Right now I prefer to be on the DL and I dont advertise....
Old 17th August 2008
Quote:
I gotta tell ya...we NEVER EVER had to deal with knuckleheads with guns in the studio during the heyday.

Right now I prefer to be on the DL and I dont advertise....
Man, I dunno. I've heard some stories about Sly recording "Riot"...
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, I dunno. I've heard some stories about Sly recording "Riot"...
That was on the west coast..we is Philly boyz..
Old 17th August 2008
Quote:
That was on the west coast..we is Philly boyz..
Ahh yes...the city of brotherly love.

I see...
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ahh yes...the city of brotherly love.

I see...
The city of Brotherly love and multiple stab wounds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search