The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
grittier drums through a 16 bit sampler? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gilla View Post
...Now as far as building plugs that sound accurate (waves API for example) you have to consider that we're dealing with business, and in business there is a difference between being able to do something and actually doing it. Could some one accurately recreate the sound of a vintage piece of analogue gear? Yes, would it be cost effective? NO...

...Analogue Circuitry is all math, any one who's taken basic physics and circuits courses should know this...
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
It would be great if 112db the company that makes Morgana would do a 12bit sampler. The Morgana reminds me so much of the sound of the mirage its scary, reverse engineering is a beautiful thing.
thumbsup Morgana is GREAT. It's buggy as heck right now, but when they have it working, I plan on using it as my go-to sample kit creator.

It feels way better than Battery for anything other than drums, but I could see myself throwing some perc in there.

But that software seems to be made the way software should be. Ergonomic, intuitive and it does what it says on the tin.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So to put it simply, unless NASA gets into building plug ins we're probably not going to see ultra realistic plug ins for a while to come. But even if we did I doubt our modern computer hardware could handle it.
I agree.

Quote:
Analogue Circuitry is all math
But its also more than math. ie: Swapping out different tranformers will change the sound of the input or output of the analog unit. How the pieces r manually connected affects the sound/tone/reaction greatly of an analog unit.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
I agree.

But its also more than math. ie: Swapping out different transformers will change the sound of the input or output of the analog unit. How the pieces r manually connected affects the sound/tone/reaction greatly of an analog unit.

True, but this is what reverse engineering does. It discovers exactly how a specific transformer affects the sound. You have to remember that electrical current is just matter charged particles moving down a path, that's all your sound is when its moving through your API or what have you. By observing exactly what happens to these charged particles as they move through the equipment we can determine exactly the impact that anything from a resistor to a tube, to a transformer has.

Check out the guitar amp simulators they've come along way at modeling real tube architecture, there only hold back at this point, imo is actually speaker emulation.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
True, but this is what reverse engineering does. It discovers exactly how a specific transformer affects the sound. You have to remember that electrical current is just matter charged particles moving down a path, that's all your sound is when its moving through your API or what have you. By observing exactly what happens to these charged particles as they move through the equipment we can determine exactly the impact that anything from a resistor to a tube, to a transformer has.
exactly. more than just the 1's & 0's of a plugin
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
exactly. more than just the 1's & 0's of a plugin

Sure.
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
there is math and then there is the reality of ur ears. If u go by math alone- digital should sound better than analog and we all know it doesn't. Plug-in emulations should sound better or as good as their hardware counterparts (ie waves api 2500 plugin vs a real api 2500) and they don't.

i know there r alot of folks who all they know is digital and plug-ins and they swear by them. But it puts them at a distinct disadvantage when making comparisons to quality analog processes.
I have to disagree about this. There's nothing that "says" that digital should sound better. The fact that digital is so exact really means it's much LESS complex and MORE simple than analog, real-world physics, if you will. I agree with the part of your sentiment that digital is not NECESSARILY better than analog though (although I disagree that it's necessarily worse too).

And to farther echo beatyoudown and some others maybe, analog music really IS all about math, just like digital is. It's just that the real world math of an analog machine is so incredibly more complex than a digital emulation (right now at least) that it can seem so superior.

Last edited by Eloheim; 7th November 2009 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Changed last word to "superior" (instead of original typo of "inferior".
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

YEs NO yes NO si NO Yes SI NO No YEs I disagreed Funny **** !!
Old 7th November 2009
112db suggested awhile back they were considering an SP-style plugin sampler when I asked about it on KVR. Silence since though.

Until then, certain settings on that Sonitex plugin can sound pretty good as far as lo-fi. The key is it's not just a bit-crusher.
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
Did you hear about John Nolting?? I think the examples sounds very good.

John Nolting

But I also agree that these machines got specific workflow and thats what no computer can emulate.

peace
Did you guys even check out this link?? You guys keep sayng it can't be done, but these guys wrote a script that emulates the sound almost flawlessly. I can't tell the difference between the scripts and the SP12...

now if they could just make a GUI for it and make it downloadable- I'd pay for that!
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PELicanWord View Post
Did you guys even check out this link?? You guys keep sayng it can't be done, but these guys wrote a script that emulates the sound almost flawlessly. I can't tell the difference between the scripts and the SP12...

now if they could just make a GUI for it and make it downloadable- I'd pay for that!

No they didn't... even Pete Rock talks about on Re-Mix last year it can be done, not a fan of the computer lay out, but as far as the sound, just like plugins and hardware
Old 7th November 2009
Gear Head

There was something wrong with 112db homepage a couple of months ago, and next to the morgana (in the web shop) was a "soft" SP12 plug, so it's probably coming. thumbsup
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
but, why not look up the sp 12 specs and cram these into some bit crush plug.
not the same i know... but you can get results that are damn near.
at least i did using the sonic decimator.

"certain" people onhere will disagree though.
Hi!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

^ Armed with a Flip HD cam, Jae One shows viewers some of the the many things that took place at the One Stop Shop Producer's Conference. This event took place in Phoenix, AZ, from May 9th to May 10th, 2009.

that's cool dude !!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
"anything" can be emulated.

there's nothing mystical about a machine like the sp 12, well...

each sp 12 component can be separated, analyzed and tested to see what exactly it does to a soundwave. from it's converters to it's filters to it's circuitry etc etc.

e-mu is not interested in developing a soft-sp 12, i emailed them about this years ago.
one of my nerd friends who studies artificial intelligence passed as well, but he agreed it can be done. you'd have to deal with complicated stuff like Fourier transform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia though. heh

for now i'm satisfied using these following settings in hyperprism's sonic decimator:

bit depth: 12
rate hz: 26667 (supposed to be the exact sp 12 rate instead of 27500)

but e-mu implented a sp1200 effekt in the emulator x2...i don t know if it's sounds exact as the old maschien but you can dirt up your drums with it ery usefull
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
"anything" can be emulated.

there's nothing mystical about a machine like the sp 12, well...

each sp 12 component can be separated, analyzed and tested to see what exactly it does to a soundwave. from it's converters to it's filters to it's circuitry etc etc.

e-mu is not interested in developing a soft-sp 12, i emailed them about this years ago.
one of my nerd friends who studies artificial intelligence passed as well, but he agreed it can be done. you'd have to deal with complicated stuff like Fourier transform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia though. heh

for now i'm satisfied using these following settings in hyperprism's sonic decimator:

bit depth: 12
rate hz: 26667 (supposed to be the exact sp 12 rate instead of 27500)

but e-mu implented a sp1200 effekt in the emulator x2...i don t know if it's sounds exact as the old maschien but you can dirt up your drums with it ery usefull
Old 18th November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

just get an emax-1 for 100 bucks and be done with it - instead of trying to get that sound just get it with the emax-1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search