The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hip Hop and Ableton: Tips and tricks Drum Pad Controllers
Old 13th August 2008
  #31
Here for the gear
 

Somebody else came up with this, but it's a great way to integrate Guru & Battery into the Ableton work flow. (or any other drum plug/machine) You can set them up with separate channels that'll fold like a drum rack, so you can add separate AU/VST plugs on all separate tracks and the "master" drum sub. Pretty easy:

1.Just put Guru or Battery on a channel. Open the plug and edit the pads so you got a different outputs on (for example) 8 pads.

2. "Group" the drum channel and add 8 "external instrument" plugs. (one for each output) On every "external instrument" plug, choose "Midi to": Battery/Guru, "Audio from": Guru/Battery outputs 1-8

3. Unfold the drum channel, make sure all "Monitor" switches are set to "IN", and sort the key map out (so every key hits the right pad).

That's it! Save the channel so you don't have to do the setup again. This is great, cause every separate channel in GURU/Battery can be "grouped" again for extra layering.
Old 14th August 2008
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
P.S. It's brilliant for playing out live with as well. Totally solid and you can set up your live sets to do some seriously amazing streamlined and slick ****.

This is my next adventure. Got any tips or experience you can share about playing live.
Old 14th August 2008
  #33
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gilla View Post
This is my next adventure. Got any tips or experience you can share about playing live.
jake - that's generally what i've been messing with ableton for. i asked around in the electronic forum awhile back and got some good responses.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...live-show.html

also, it's dope for a dj type setup. i'm not the best with it yet, but i'm putting together a mixtape sorta thing with some unused beats. look around on youtube for "ableton dj" and google the same / similar phrases and you'll find a ton of cool ****.

here's some links i've collected.

Tastyfresh.com - The Setup: Build an Ableton Live DJ Template that Works for You
Ableton Live 6 as a DJ tool, part two | How to use Ableton Live 6 as a DJ Tool | Learn about DJing using Ableton Live 6, tutorial
Ableton - Tips and Tricks
How to make a DJ mix set using Ableton Live - Robert Green's DIY
Novation Music | US | Artists | Moldover
Old 14th August 2008
  #34
Gear Nut
 
DGTom's Avatar
 

Nice Tips in thread thumbsup

I didn't realize you could assign a clip to midi notes and play it like 16 levels! Great!!! Gonna use that for sure!


I got Ableton to DJ with after I saw that some friends used it to devastating effect, didn't think much ofit for making beats until I fully learnt to appriciate the Session View! I now use Follow Actions for almost everything, and barely touch the Arrange page, except for chopping as per the tip on the 1st page.


A midi controller of some sort is def needed to mix with Live, altho you can get away without it. I use a UC-16, just 16 knobs controlling volume and eqs, and my lappies keyboard for triggering clips, moving up and down to select clips and to control the x-fader. I don't have to touch the trackpad at any point while mixing, with 350 clips/tunes in a set I can play (in theory) for over 5 hours straight, even if I only play 1 minute of each tune

The mix in my sig* is 1 take, recorded to a 'resample' track with some pre-mp3 encoding EQ/Comp/Limiting added after the fact.



* House Music, not Rap, but I play a few rap tunes in my more Club orientated sets, just none online atm.
Old 14th August 2008
  #35
Here for the gear
 

Sampler is the only sampler in Live with forward/reverse loops (for recycle type "stretch" effect). If you make sampler the default for "slicing audio to midi track", you won't need recycle anymore.

That, and some more on changing the defaults: (sampler instead of simpler in drum rack etc)

:: View topic - Default presets - How to
Old 14th August 2008
  #36
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
lol, ever heard "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado? (check out the end too) heh
Yup, have it on my iPod.

I've been trying to suss out Tim's approach on a lot of his songs, e.g. Promiscuous, Sexy Back, Give It To Me, his stuff with Missy, etc.

I always say, learn from those who know...
Old 19th August 2008
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gilla View Post
This is my next adventure. Got any tips or experience you can share about playing live.
Hey Jake,

No tips per se but I just replied to another thread so thought I'd post here as well.

But this is what I normally do:

"It took awhile but I got all my songs set up in session so they were triggered by letters on the keyboard. Using 'dummy clips' this switched all my backing tracks, instruments, effects and tempo at the tap of a key and I was off."

Another great thing is that for several songs I had my one Midi controller split with separate Samplers across the keys and with dummy clips/racks these would automatically load on a per song basis.

You don't even need to come up with a set list beforehand. Just make a list of all your songs, have them added in the session and trigger them via the keypad whenever and wherever you want. Instantaneous recall, that's what I like!

Take care,

R.
Old 28th August 2008
  #38
g22
Lives for gear
 

I have a question. I've got Live Lite 6, and I recently had to sell my Fantom for financial reasons, so I figured I'd get a cheap midi controller and get more into sampling type production using ableton to fill my music urge from time to time.

I've only used ableton in the past to record audio from songs I finished in the fantom, or to chop samples and export to the fantom. I'm pretty comfortable w/ it, but I'm sure there is a lot idk about. I recently figured out how to use impulse, which will be great for sampling/chopping.

My question is, is there a way to change the pitch of a sample pad in impulse, or elsewhere in the program?

I'm pretty anal about tuning my drums to match the Key of the song, and on the fantom all I had to do was go to Pitch and if my song was in the Key of G# I pitched all my drum sounds to G# to fit the tone of the song.

How would I do this in abelton?

I know how to set the audio to 're-pitch' and chage pitch by tempo that way, but that can be difficult to determine exact pitches from different records.

Can anyone help?

Also, just curious if there is an auto-chop in Live 6, or is it only 7 and up?

Thanks
Old 28th August 2008
  #39
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g22 View Post
I have a question. I've got Live Lite 6, and I recently had to sell my Fantom for financial reasons, so I figured I'd get a cheap midi controller and get more into sampling type production using ableton to fill my music urge from time to time.

I've only used ableton in the past to record audio from songs I finished in the fantom, or to chop samples and export to the fantom. I'm pretty comfortable w/ it, but I'm sure there is a lot idk about. I recently figured out how to use impulse, which will be great for sampling/chopping.

My question is, is there a way to change the pitch of a sample pad in impulse, or elsewhere in the program?

I'm pretty anal about tuning my drums to match the Key of the song, and on the fantom all I had to do was go to Pitch and if my song was in the Key of G# I pitched all my drum sounds to G# to fit the tone of the song.

How would I do this in abelton?

I know how to set the audio to 're-pitch' and chage pitch by tempo that way, but that can be difficult to determine exact pitches from different records.

Can anyone help?

Also, just curious if there is an auto-chop in Live 6, or is it only 7 and up?

Thanks
Does Impulse in Live Lite 6 not have a pitch control parameter for every cell? Ever since Live put Impulse into the program it's had pitch control (transpose) for each individual cell.

And the slice to midi feature you are referring to only works in Live 7.
Old 30th August 2008
  #40
g22
Lives for gear
 

thanks, yeah I think I remember seeing that. I'll check it out. Doesn;t transposing usually just inc/dec the note by whole octaves, not each note though?
Old 30th August 2008
  #41
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g22 View Post
thanks, yeah I think I remember seeing that. I'll check it out. Doesn;t transposing usually just inc/dec the note by whole octaves, not each note though?
lol. Every transpose function in Live goes in cents, not octaves.
Old 8th October 2008
  #42
Here for the gear
 

Hey guys, since you are talking about Ableton Live tips, maybe someone can help me with this problem.
I send multiple tracks (drums) to an aux track so I have a 'master fader' for the drums. In Pro Tools I could then bus this to another aux if I wanted (don't ask why), but I can't figure out how to do this in Ableton Live! Anyone care to help?
Thanks!
Old 9th October 2008
  #43
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
Hey guys, since you are talking about Ableton Live tips, maybe someone can help me with this problem.
I send multiple tracks (drums) to an aux track so I have a 'master fader' for the drums. In Pro Tools I could then bus this to another aux if I wanted (don't ask why), but I can't figure out how to do this in Ableton Live! Anyone care to help?
Thanks!

One way to create a group fader is to create a new audio track, name this Drum Master for instance. Then change the output of all your individual drum tracks to Drum Master. Then you could use the send on this Drum Master channel to route signal to a return for whatever FX you want.

If you want to you can enable sends on return tracks by control clicking on the track.
Old 9th October 2008
  #44
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN DARE View Post
One way to create a group fader is to create a new audio track, name this Drum Master for instance. Then change the output of all your individual drum tracks to Drum Master. Then you could use the send on this Drum Master channel to route signal to a return for whatever FX you want.

If you want to you can enable sends on return tracks by control clicking on the track.
Hi Dan, thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I have been using this technique in the meantime, but I'd rather group that the channels I use to sub-mix with the return tracks - I'm beginning to think that this can't be done.
Pro-Tools has no problem with me bussing an aux to another aux, I dunno why this doesn't work in Ableton Live!
Old 1st May 2010
  #45
Gear Addict
 
themixtape's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
In the clip view you can assign the start and end buttons to midi controllers.

But honestly, you can put the sample in arrangement view and chop in up very quickly with the mouse and and Apple+E.
Ryst, I have been hitting up the Ableton forums recently trying to figure out the whole mapping-to-start-and-end-points thing.... this works, sure (in a clip, in an audio track) but have you noticed that even with the Launch Quantize set to None that the loop start and end (and, the equally mappable "regular" start and end).......simply.... snap & jump?

The mouse gives you precise start/end points to chop up your sample and make a loop (say, take a 4 bar piano loop from an old soul song). But as soon as you map these parameters to a couple midi CC knobs.... the precision goes out the window. As useful as the mouse is, I'd rather turn a couple knobs to set my loop/cropping points than use a mouse. Feels more like an MPC if I can turn the knobs.

I can't seem to find an answer to why the knobs jump/snap no matter where I look and especially on the Abe forums. (and no snap is enabled, and I've tried all the clip grid settings, like to "off" and whatnot).

If you could shed some light as to why this is occuring, it would be most helpful. I have used a PadKontrol's two assignable knobs to map the parameters as well as am Emu Xboard49, Akai MPD32 (endless rotaries), and the knobs on NI's Maschine, in generic midi controller mode.

Thanks for any help you or any other Ableton croppers/choppers/samplists can provide!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PimpboyLee / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
101
Say / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
29
jonfromsomobe / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2
fhinspectit / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
23

Forum Jump
Forum Jump