The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do People Not Realize This is a GEAR Forum?? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th August 2008

Do People Not Realize This is a GEAR Forum??

I'm curious because I move, lock or delete a half dozen off topic threads a day....

If it's not in some way GEAR related, it doesn't belong in the forum.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Only in the hip hop forum would a moderator need to post a thread like this. LOL!!

Send them all to futureproducers.com
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Its funny you post that tony because It seems like I asked about equator monitors and crickets were the only ones that chimed in. I guess its a sigh of the times. It kind of feels like this part of GS is an Engineering and Production version of YBF or TMZ. lol
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Maybe yall should add "equipment" to the title of this forum.

I thought this side of the forum was about technique.
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gilla View Post
Maybe yall should add "equipment" to the title of this forum.

I thought this side of the forum was about technique.
It's called GEARslutz.. needless to say we come here to talk about gear.

Tips & technique threads are certainly welcome, but I see VERY few of those... I actually can't remember the last time.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
It's called GEARslutz.. needless to say we come here to talk about gear.

Tips & technique threads are certainly welcome, but I see VERY few of those... I actually can't remember the last time.
Hey Tony what do you think of the new Lil Wayne joint ? heh
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Hey Tony what do you think of the new Lil Wayne joint ? heh
heh
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Nut

of course they don't realize because the forum title says

"Rap + Hip HOP engineering & production"

this means it's about the PROCESS, and not the equpiment

plus the subtitle says "trade tips with fellow Hip Hop & Rap engineers producers."

if it was meant to be a gear-only forum, the titles are misleading
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
of course they don't realize because the forum title says

"Rap + Hip HOP engineering & production"

this means it's about the PROCESS, and not the equpiment

plus the subtitle says "trade tips with fellow Hip Hop & Rap engineers producers."

if it was meant to be a gear-only forum, the titles are misleading
OK... Well, maybe this will make it clear to everyone that didn't know.

The name of the site is GEARslutz. We are here to talk about GEAR... and the use of the GEAR (which includes the process of making music with GEAR, tips using the GEAR and techniques USING the gear)... whether it's the use of a mic, a guitar, a keyboard, a preamp, a plugin, an MPC... or help with finding the right piece for anyone's given situation, or other advice. It's all gear related.

It's not a place to gossip about Scott Storch being broke, to promote a myspace page, a blog or a soundclick page, to discuss every hip hop song or album that comes out, to gossip about artists, or to post classifieds ads, etc.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

We are not TMZ, we aren't ughh.com, and we aren't futureproducers... people who are looking for that type of place have come to the wrong forum.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK... Well, maybe this will make it clear to everyone that didn't know.

The name of the site is GEARslutz. We are here to talk about GEAR... and the use of the GEAR (which includes the process of making music with GEAR, tips using the GEAR and techniques USING the gear)... whether it's the use of a mic, a guitar, a keyboard, a preamp, a plugin, an MPC... or help with finding the right piece for anyone's given situation, or other advice. It's all gear related.

It's not a place to gossip about Scott Storch being broke, to promote a myspace page, a blog or a soundclick page, to discuss every hip hop song or album that come out, to gossip about artists, or to post classifieds ads, etc.

Do you see where I'm going with this?
That's extraordinarily clear, Tony ... I've always kinda wondered about this.
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
That's extraordinarily clear, Tony ... I've always kinda wondered about this.
It says almost the same thing in the sticky-ed forum rules, but I guess people don't read them.

Quote:
Also, if you are new to GEARSLUTZ, this is a place to talk about gear (particularly pro-level gear).... not about the Top Ten MC's of all time, or who is the best producer ever. Please keep to the subject of GEAR (mics, pre's, EQ's, compressors, DAW's, and techniques, etc.) whenever possible. If you are new to engineering, sometimes it's better to read and lurk on the site for a while before posting.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...um-please.html

I have since added the other above paragraph to the forum rules in red.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have noticed that most of the posters on the hip hop forum don't travel outside of this forum...well, they aren't participating anyway. I think if they saw how all the forums worked, they might have a better understanding of this one. It seems pretty simple to me. But then again, I spend and participate an equal amount of time in most of the forums here, not just the hip hop one. In fact, this is my least favorite one.
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
In fact, this is my least favorite one.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, it's not your fault. lol.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I agree but now that I think about it... Is this thread on topic?

Just playin Tony, good luck keepin this place garbage free.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear
the forum.''.

this forum needs subforums within itself, maybe that might fix the clutter and should be change to rap instead of hiphop or categorize it by era's boom bap or d. south.

Honestly this place is full of B.S nowadays. at times with gear attics and nothing to show for it. maybe its the lack of brains and a sense humour, damn rap makes everyone so damn serious now adays. and that ughh and futureproducer comments was pretty lame on my behalf. theirs some fire being outputted on that side of the fence with just the little stuff they make use of.

might need to do internal forum application or gear screening to determine if your eligible to join the breakfast club. I for 1 wouldn't.

p.s. does fruityloops count as gear?
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz View Post
this forum needs subforums within itself, maybe that might fix the clutter and should be change to rap instead of hiphop or categorize it by era's boom bap or lame ass 808's .
No it doesn't. We just need people to stop starting OT threads... There's plenty of room for all types of hip hop and R&B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteup3 View Post
Are threads about production techniques allowed?
Of course.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Do you think we should have a "Pop Production and Engineering" forum. I know the lines get more and more blurred, but is it appropriate to be taking about Britney Spears production and vocal techniques in a Hip-Hop forum. Lets say I was curious about how Maroon 5's stuff was mixed, where would I post that?
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
Do you think we should have a "Pop Production and Engineering" forum. I know the lines get more and more blurred, but is it appropriate to be taking about Britney Spears production and vocal techniques in a Hip-Hop forum. Lets say I was curious about how Maroon 5's stuff was mixed, where would I post that?
I don't think we need a new forum for that since there's very few of these types of threads... At least it's about gear/ production.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
Only in the hip hop forum would a moderator need to post a thread like this. LOL!!

Send them all to futureproducers.com
*rofl* you are totally right!thumbsup i support tony. this forum is called gearslutz and not "how can i make dope beatz with fruity loobs"..
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear
bolocks!

Quote:
I don't think we need a new forum for that since there's very few of these types of threads... At least it's about gear/ production.
awwwwww I say do away with the words hiphop rap and name it urban! or some crap like that. I love that american boy track, that's my isht! who mixed and produced that 1.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I dont know Tony. I can certainly see your point to an extent, but i dont mind the clutter myself. It only takes a few extra seconds to scan all of the page 1 threads and see if there's anything worth reading or contributing to. All the noise just scans right past. But generally speaking i think the more active threads, the more often people will return to the hip hop forum and contribute.

Sure, i'd love to see a little more self restraint from people posting, both with what topics they pick and alot of the ignorance and general bitchassness of some posters, but again, even with that, it doesnt take long to scan past the noise and find the good stuff. Like i dont think you should have moved the "Disappointing Business" topic. I think alot of what was said is very relevant to hip hop producers here. I personally dont mind going beyond "gear" topics.

just my 2 cents
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
Like i dont think you should have moved the "Disappointing Business" topic. I think alot of what was said is very relevant to hip hop producers here. I personally dont mind going beyond "gear" topics.

just my 2 cents
I agree, I thought that topic belonged right here.
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
Like i dont think you should have moved the "Disappointing Business" topic. I think alot of what was said is very relevant to hip hop producers here. I personally dont mind going beyond "gear" topics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteup3 View Post
I agree, I thought that topic belonged right here.
It could have gone either way.... that's why I left it for a while and then moved it with a permanent re-direct. You can still find it in the Hip Hop Forum (unlike 90% of the threads moved or deleted).
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I just heard that new Luda and TI joint "Wish you Would" and I feel like I just want to talk about how much Toomp killed that beat ...

It's OT for sure but as a producer, god damn, **** like that excites me ... :D

process discussion is pertinent i think... was talkin to dee about the overall mix.. said leslie did it... that guy is amazing!

im really amazed / motivated ...

that's some top level sound
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Tony!

You're absolutely right! This is GEARslutz! Keep the forum clean from bulls***!

Maybe one should update the "if you're new to engineering"-thread with no questions allowed there!
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm curious because I move, lock or delete a half dozen off topic threads a day....

If it's not in some way GEAR related, it doesn't belong in the forum.
i know you're trying to sell some gear heh but...
don't know...
maybe it's in the name:

"rap + hip hop engineering & production"

but also... the slutz's needs.
it says gearslutz... so imo it should about both the gear AND the slutz, who seem to have other needs as well apart from gear.

you might as well close the damn thing if you're going to delete all posts not directly or explicitly related to gear.
at least the hip hop forum would die within weeks or months.
too much restriction will turn people off.

or maybe, you just need some days off.

Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

is this thread about gear?
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I would like that Tony should create a sub-forums because i like the hip hop gossip or album reviews, but you don't want & i understanding, it would be fantastic to talk Hip Hop 360° IMHO
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine View Post
*rofl* you are totally right!thumbsup i support tony. this forum is called gearslutz and not "how can i make dope beatz with fruity loobs"..
but asking about how to make dope beats with fruity loops is about gear....fruity loops being the gear.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search