The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do People Not Realize This is a GEAR Forum?? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo46 View Post
I would like that Tony should create a sub-forums because i like the hip hop gossip or album reviews, but you don't want & i understanding, it would be fantastic to talk Hip Hop 360° IMHO
+1 on that
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
I have noticed that most of the posters on the hip hop forum don't travel outside of this forum...well, they aren't participating anyway. I think if they saw how all the forums worked, they might have a better understanding of this one. It seems pretty simple to me. But then again, I spend and participate an equal amount of time in most of the forums here, not just the hip hop one. In fact, this is my least favorite one.
thumbsupAbsolutely so.
There is valuable info on all of the GS forums which when understod, will help in all aspects relative to HH & R&B.
its all in the application.

Read all of the wonderful posts by the recording engineers who help to shape todays sound in all genres.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

In this age of everybody-on-the-planet-is-a-hip/hop-star, a lot of "hip/hop" enthusiasts' gear consists of a lap top and FL4. Some of these guys don't even have an interface. How can they possibly talk about gear?

...unless you're suggesting that this forum is not the place for these types of people. If that's the case then you have a whole new set of arguements and gray areas...
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

same thing happens in the other sections of Gearslutz.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I dont know Tony. I can certainly see your point to an extent, but i dont mind the clutter myself. It only takes a few extra seconds to scan all of the page 1 threads and see if there's anything worth reading or contributing to. All the noise just scans right past. But generally speaking i think the more active threads, the more often people will return to the hip hop forum and contribute.

Sure, i'd love to see a little more self restraint from people posting, both with what topics they pick and alot of the ignorance and general bitchassness of some posters, but again, even with that, it doesnt take long to scan past the noise and find the good stuff. Like i dont think you should have moved the "Disappointing Business" topic. I think alot of what was said is very relevant to hip hop producers here. I personally dont mind going beyond "gear" topics.

just my 2 cents
Add another 2 cents to that.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
same thing happens in the other sections of Gearslutz.
..but not nearly as much
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
It's called GEARslutz.. needless to say we come here to talk about gear..
damn... i tought it was to talk about slutz..heh
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo46 View Post
I would like that Tony should create a sub-forums because i like the hip hop gossip or album reviews, but you don't want & i understanding, it would be fantastic to talk Hip Hop 360° IMHO
there's a bunch of sites for that: sohh, allhiphop, mediatakeout, worldstarhiphop, etc. good fan sites with alot of members and ignorance. Those fans thrive off of the negatives, and "everything sucks" internet mantra. That attitude, when brought here as it has been, stops topics cold and turns them into clown sessions.

"gear only" may not work in this forum. majority of folks here never used "gear" just software. I spend majority of time in the "high end" forum. Alot can be learned from browsing that forum.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear
Just to underscore a couple points others have made:

I think the sub-form thing is a GOOD idea. It seems like a lot of the posts Tony is referring to are questions that are really business related questions. Things about the business end of producing and publishing or getting more work or placing beats and stuff. While there IS a music biz sub-form in the So Much Gear So Little Time forum, the hip-hop folks don't post there. Having worked in both urban and rock genres, I think that the business in urban music is VERY different. If you post a hip-hop related business question there, you get all kinds of people giving advice that is horrible in the hip-hop world because they don't understand how different it is. So that's why those questions get asked here: because THIS is where the people with the answers (hopefully!) are and you won't get (too many) people giving giving advice to a hip-hop producer that's really more suited to a rock producer.
I think that making a sub-form called "urban music biz" within the hip-hop forum would help keep the main part just for hip-hop gear and engineering stuff by giving folks a GOOD place to ask and talk about hip-hop biz stuff. I agree that there should NOT be a sub-forum to talk about artists because there are a billion sites where you can do that. But it's slim pickings to find a site where you can talk about the business stuff, and that's why there are so many posts here. If we want those threads out of this forum, then there needs to be a GOOD alternative, and that would be a sub-forum.

On a side-note, I agree with what someone else said earlier that this forum might be better served if it was an "Urban" forum instead of "rap and hip-hop". Not that it's really that big of a deal.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Just have one sticky thread up top and call it "Rap and Bullsh*t" or something and all gossip or frivolous topic can be discussed within...

Just a thought, best of both worlds...

??

I do see the point though...

0]
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
Just have one sticky thread up top and call it "Rap and Bullsh*t" or something and all gossip or frivolous topic can be discussed within...

Just a thought, best of both worlds...

??

I do see the point though...

0]
Your sig would make a great Weird All cd with him as Easy E
Old 8th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
In this age of everybody-on-the-planet-is-a-hip/hop-star, a lot of "hip/hop" enthusiasts' gear consists of a lap top and FL4. Some of these guys don't even have an interface. How can they possibly talk about gear?

...unless you're suggesting that this forum is not the place for these types of people. If that's the case then you have a whole new set of arguements and gray areas...
Maybe you're right, maybe this isn't the place for every kid with a laptop. But, I think even those people have something valuable to share. Everyone is welcome...

The reason I started this thread was to address the recent "Is the Forum Dynamic Changing" thread. I started thinking that some people might not realize our purpose here. This is where the grown ups come to talk about recording/ mixing/ production/ engineering. It's not where my little brother goes to debate how so and so's lyrics are hot, or whatever.

Any of the following types of threads are perfectly fine:

1. Anything GEAR related

2. Tips and Techniques type threads

3. Studio/ Recording Industry business threads (in some instances.. not GOSSIP, though)

What we need to slow down on is the following:

1. Threads which are FAN or GOSSIP related... for instance topics like "Lil Wayne is Changing Hip Hop Music", or "LOL @ Storch Went from Hero to Zero", etc.

2. Threads which are seemingly void of any intelligent thought.

3. Threads to discuss songs/ albums which are completely void of anything technique based, etc.

4. Myspace spam, Blog spam, Soundclick spam, etc.

5. Threads which only serve to show off your music (those belong in the work in progress forum).

I think there is a VERY small percentage of people who are starting threads which don't belong here. I'm just hoping that EVERYONE ELSE will stop feeding into those threads and start concentrating on topics that will improve our productions, etc.

Do you want a site where you can talk about what someone else is doing?.. or do you want a site that can help YOU make the best of what YOU'RE doing?

That's just my thought process... Obviously, we are a work in progress and not every OT thread is bad.

I don't think a lot of people know what this site was like before the hip hop forum. We were outcasts... it was TERRIBLE. We now have a great place to talk about so many different things, and I don't want a small portion of people to **** it up.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe you're right, maybe this isn't the place for every kid with a laptop. But, I think even those people have something valuable to share. Everyone is welcome...

The reason I started this thread was to address the recent "Is the Forum Dynamic Changing" thread. I started thinking that some people might not realize our purpose here. This is where the grown ups come to talk about recording/ mixing/ production/ engineering. It's not where my little brother goes to debate how so and so's lyrics are hot, or whatever.

Any of the following types of threads are perfectly fine:

1. Anything GEAR related

2. Tips and Techniques type threads

3. Studio/ Recording Industry business threads (in some instances.. not GOSSIP, though)

What we need to slow down on is the following:

1. Threads which are FAN or GOSSIP related... for instance topics like "Lil Wayne is Changing Hip Hop Music", or "LOL @ Storch Went from Hero to Zero", etc.

2. Threads which are seemingly void of any intelligent thought.

3. Threads to discuss songs/ albums which are completely void of anything technique based, etc.

4. Myspace spam, Blog spam, Soundclick spam, etc.

5. Threads which only serve to show off your music (those belong in the work in progress forum).

I think there is a VERY small percentage of people who are starting threads which don't belong here. I'm just hoping that EVERYONE ELSE will stop feeding into those threads and start concentrating on topics that will improve our productions, etc.

Do you want a site where you can talk about what someone else is doing?.. or do you want a site that can help YOU make the best of what YOU'RE doing?

That's just my thought process... Obviously, we are a work in progress and not every OT thread is bad.

I don't think a lot of people know what this site was like before the hip hop forum. We were outcasts... it was TERRIBLE. We now have a great place to talk about so many different things, and I don't want a small portion of people to **** it up.
thumbsup
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

And sorry. Now that I post that..

+1 to the above reply Tony.
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post

They need to be talkin plugins then!
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

i'll volunteer to delete off-topic threads from 9-5 hawaii time monday-friday until i'm done with this job
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

I've always thought of it as a place where people who collect, use, and sell gear can meet to discuss whatever they want in a semi-organized format.I don't see the big deal beyond that... the name of the community is Gearslutz.. it's who we are and what we are. It's not all we are.

I can generally tell in a few seconds if I'm interested in a thread whether it pertains to gear or not. If I don't care for the discussion, I click to the next thread.
No need to get up in arms over a misplaced topic or a redundant question.
If the topics are not cerebral enough for you, start a better thread!

Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post

I think the sub-form thing is a GOOD idea. It seems like a lot of the posts Tony is referring to are questions that are really business related questions. Things about the business end of producing and publishing or getting more work or placing beats and stuff. While there IS a music biz sub-form in the So Much Gear So Little Time forum, the hip-hop folks don't post there. Having worked in both urban and rock genres, I think that the business in urban music is VERY different. If you post a hip-hop related business question there, you get all kinds of people giving advice that is horrible in the hip-hop world because they don't understand how different it is. So that's why those questions get asked here: because THIS is where the people with the answers (hopefully!) are and you won't get (too many) people giving giving advice to a hip-hop producer that's really more suited to a rock producer.
I think that making a sub-form called "urban music biz" within the hip-hop forum would help keep the main part just for hip-hop gear and engineering stuff by giving folks a GOOD place to ask and talk about hip-hop biz stuff. I agree that there should NOT be a sub-forum to talk about artists because there are a billion sites where you can do that. But it's slim pickings to find a site where you can talk about the business stuff, and that's why there are so many posts here. If we want those threads out of this forum, then there needs to be a GOOD alternative, and that would be a sub-forum.

On a side-note, I agree with what someone else said earlier that this forum might be better served if it was an "Urban" forum instead of "rap and hip-hop". Not that it's really that big of a deal.
I second that. My other personality casts a third nomination...heh

Seriously, though. I think the change of title to something less specific than "Hip/Hop" is seriously worth consideration.

That could possibly clear some things up A LITTLE...
Old 10th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post

Down for the sub forums. Helps organize things a bit. One for Gear/Mixing, One for Production & One for Hip Hop Music Biz.

I went to school for this & though the program was good I felt there was a difference between the Hip Hop world & the Rock/Folk/Acoustic type stuff. I had to come to places like GS to learn to arrange beats, mix (genre), & even pick up BIZ info to be successful.
We're on an Island & I believe there's a way to help everyone & not mess things up. Maybe I'm a dreamer though?
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK... Well, maybe this will make it clear to everyone that didn't know.

The name of the site is GEARslutz. We are here to talk about GEAR... and the use of the GEAR (which includes the process of making music with GEAR, tips using the GEAR and techniques USING the gear)... whether it's the use of a mic, a guitar, a keyboard, a preamp, a plugin, an MPC... or help with finding the right piece for anyone's given situation, or other advice. It's all gear related.

It's not a place to gossip about Scott Storch being broke, to promote a myspace page, a blog or a soundclick page, to discuss every hip hop song or album that comes out, to gossip about artists, or to post classifieds ads, etc.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

We are not TMZ, we aren't ughh.com, and we aren't futureproducers... people who are looking for that type of place have come to the wrong forum.
You need to put all that into the title and in the forum descriptions.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
OK... Well, maybe this will make it clear to everyone that didn't know.

The name of the site is GEARslutz. We are here to talk about GEAR... and the use of the GEAR (which includes the process of making music with GEAR, tips using the GEAR and techniques USING the gear)... whether it's the use of a mic, a guitar, a keyboard, a preamp, a plugin, an MPC... or help with finding the right piece for anyone's given situation, or other advice. It's all gear related.

It's not a place to gossip about Scott Storch being broke, to promote a myspace page, a blog or a soundclick page, to discuss every hip hop song or album that comes out, to gossip about artists, or to post classifieds ads, etc.
okay okay. if tips and things like that are allowed then I completely agree
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well am sure i contribute my fair share to the none gear related threads,
but it has to be said that the forum seems to be getting less & less informative with regards to mixing techniques & gear. The Lil Wayne threads we had recently just go to prove the point.

Maybe permanent threads breaking down frequency range of instruments with separate threads for Dynamics, Effects & suggested gear would help. It may start to repress the hating & make cats more concerned with producing & mixing, also show a clear guide line as to what the forum is supposed to be for.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

I come to gear slutz and specifically this forum less and less just for that reason.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's called GEARslutz.. needless to say we come here to talk about gear.

Tips & technique threads are certainly welcome, but I see VERY few of those... I actually can't remember the last time.
I remember philly soleman dropping quite a few techniques not to long ago. Twas good stuff.
Old 11th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
the forum seems to be getting less & less informative with regards to mixing techniques & gear. The Lil Wayne threads we had recently just go to prove the point.
That's because we've been over-run by stupid threads like the wave of Lil Wayne threads, or the wave of Storch broke threads, etc. The sheer amount of those types of threads has been mind boggling...

There are other sites to discuss that kind of stuff... we can't be everything to everyone and we don't want to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
I remember philly soleman dropping quite a few techniques not to long ago. Twas good stuff.
Yes, I remember seeing the two or three threads you are referring to. I hope to see more of those types of threads in the future.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

the way i look at it is when noobs ask questions that have been asked before or post subs that don't belong it's like someone close to you that has Alzheimer's and forgets that it's been asked. after awhile you get pissed that they keep asking. as older members leave and new ones come the way some guys anwser post gives the impression that it's ok to be snappy or rude. i love this board and i lurked for years before i joined. now everyone's a little more mean when anwsering questions. it's like guys lost their politeness. i could see if these things were being done by guys who have been and posted here for years. and stop talking about fruity loops cause i can smash alot of dudes beats with that. tuttheh any one want to battle?
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

hey tony,
hey i tried to follow (since im slightly a noob)the rules and posted in the "are you new to engineering"thread,but its been like 2 months without a reply,so maybe those sticky thread are kinda pointless...also i read a lot of these threads and while i have retained quite a lot of knowledge here,and even though i agree with you about people not posting crap about lil waynes album(since i dont listen to that crap)but it seems like whats really plaguing this forum is how much these cats let there egotistical bull**** ruin threads,fighting like a bunch of know it all 12 year olds,thats the **** that gets most redundant to me,we all need to put our egos on the side and just try to push each other with advice and tips to make the best and most creative musical possible...just my two cents..
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsnumb View Post
hey tony,
hey i tried to follow (since im slightly a noob)the rules and posted in the "are you new to engineering"thread,but its been like 2 months without a reply,so maybe those sticky thread are kinda pointless...also i read a lot of these threads and while i have retained quite a lot of knowledge here,and even though i agree with you about people not posting crap about lil waynes album(since i dont listen to that crap)but it seems like whats really plaguing this forum is how much these cats let there egotistical bull**** ruin threads,fighting like a bunch of know it all 12 year olds,thats the **** that gets most redundant to me,we all need to put our egos on the side and just try to push each other with advice and tips to make the best and most creative musical possible...just my two cents..
i like what you had to say but it starts with you. it's cool to feel like wanye is crap but to the people that do hiphop your putting down their craft, their love. i will say again i agree with helping noobs to post better. hey i'm a noob. i'm still learning. the gearslutz i love builds people up.
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnycheebs View Post
i like what you had to say but it starts with you. it's cool to feel like wanye is crap but to the people that do hiphop your putting down their craft, their love. i will say again i agree with helping noobs to post better. hey i'm a noob. i'm still learning. the gearslutz i love builds people up.
im not putting down people who do hip hop,(like myself),i just not into the over redundant **** that flooding the radio,i grew up listening to good hip hop such as de la soul,tribe called quest,kmd,gangstarr,etc...but what i was saying a could care less about reading things about that poppy rap, that my little sister is probably bumping in her white jetta,but if thats your thing more power to you,im just saying i wont read it...sorry to go off on a tangent,but i think you misunderstood what i said,so i wanted to clarify..thanks again-brooks
and to all you hip hop producers out there stay inspired,and try to remain creative,without falling into making music in a redundant poppy fashion
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search