The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do Find "Cheating" When It Comes To Software Beat Making? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th August 2008
  #1
Do Find "Cheating" When It Comes To Software Beat Making?

Does it seem like your "cheating" sometimes when it comes to software beat making programs?

Sometimes I will find myself just mouse clicking and putting a beat together. Like its "TOO" easy to do. Are we cheating or getting cheated out of the amount of work and understanding music. Is this why its so much "crap" on the radio now because its more accessible to get the tools to make music?

I come from the days of hardware and now sorta dealing with software, i kinda feel like its too easy to make tracks,lol! I know technology is a good thing but i also feel like technology took away the hard work for cats to get in the game..
Old 8th August 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

no.
Old 8th August 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

not at all.
Old 8th August 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Synthy08's Avatar
 

NO sirry bob.....one could either make "crank dat souljaby" on software, or "What you know about that" (T.I.).................its all about the mind.
Old 8th August 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

Not trynna make enemies or anything but your threads are really stupid. Not against the rules, not offensive, just really stupid.

It may be easy to click a mouse... but not easy to make a great track.

What is your point? Should I waste time looping on an old sampler so I feel like I put in hard work and sweat for a few hits on the kick and snare? Not much to learn there.

The technology is not the real issue in the music industry right now. It is what has come with it.
Old 8th August 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
Does it seem like your "cheating" sometimes when it comes to software beat making programs?

Sometimes I will find myself just mouse clicking and putting a beat together. Like its "TOO" easy to do. Are we cheating or getting cheated out of the amount of work and understanding music. Is this why its so much "crap" on the radio now because its more accessible to get the tools to make music?

I come from the days of hardware and now sorta dealing with software, i kinda feel like its too easy to make tracks,lol! I know technology is a good thing but i also feel like technology took away the hard work for cats to get in the game..
I say stop blaming the gear if things are too easy for everyone to get involved. If you are good it doesn't matter what you use.

Technology hasn't made me work any less hard to make good music. I taught myself how to read music and play piano at age 5. I have taught myself 4 other instruments and recording/mixing, sound design, film editing and singing since then. I use all software when i make beats but you can't tell me what i do is easy or cheating in any way.
Old 8th August 2008
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
Not trynna make enemies or anything but your threads are really stupid. Not against the rules, not offensive, just really stupid.

It may be easy to click a mouse... but not easy to make a great track.

What is your point? Should I waste time looping on an old sampler so I feel like I put in hard work and sweat for a few hits on the kick and snare? Not much to learn there.

The technology is not the real issue in the music industry right now. It is what has come with it.
I agree.. this thread sucks.

I was feeling guilty all day for hi jacking threads with petty banter, but now I remember that I make relevant contributions to the discussions wherever possible.. and don't start threads like this (although I am tempted on days like this when I'm sick on antibiotics for the next week).
Old 8th August 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
viewing's Avatar
How can you cheat in a game with no rules? Anything that can chop a song up automatically and spread it across the keyboard for you is cheating as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. - It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
P.P.S. - You can't program 'swing', you have to play it. F%$#K what anyone says. That's why a lot of music nowadays sounds like cash registers on crack and not funky like music used to be. Nobody cares anyway so make the damn song and put it out and get this money.

To answer your question, it's not cheating to use a computer, it's just not music anymore; it's a videogame! (blip, bleep, zapp, bing bing! na'mean?) Yo that s&%$t was straight crack yo! That was the illest joint I ever heard in my fifteen years on this planet son!

That should keep this thread going for a few more rounds.
Old 8th August 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Synthy08's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
Not trynna make enemies or anything but your threads are really stupid. Not against the rules, not offensive, just really stupid.

It may be easy to click a mouse... but not easy to make a great track.

What is your point? Should I waste time looping on an old sampler so I feel like I put in hard work and sweat for a few hits on the kick and snare? Not much to learn there.

The technology is not the real issue in the music industry right now. It is what has come with it.
LOL...exit then!!!
Old 8th August 2008
  #10
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Nope.
Old 8th August 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
To answer your question, it's not cheating to use a computer, it's just not music anymore; it's a videogame!
Which is funny because a lot of dudes' beats are sounding like they are looking for placements on the next Sonic the Hedgehog game.
Old 8th August 2008
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
Not trynna make enemies or anything but your threads are really stupid. Not against the rules, not offensive, just really stupid.

It may be easy to click a mouse... but not easy to make a great track.

What is your point? Should I waste time looping on an old sampler so I feel like I put in hard work and sweat for a few hits on the kick and snare? Not much to learn there.

The technology is not the real issue in the music industry right now. It is what has come with it.
lol! well you must be even dumber to respond to it..take a hike, clown! dfegad
Old 8th August 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
lol! well you must be even dumber to respond to it..take a hike, clown! dfegad
gladly...over and out suckas. Back to making this banger!dfegaddfegaddfegad

Hot tracks by the way... NAAAATTT. About what I expected from someone starting a thread like this. And you've been making since the hardware days?
Old 8th August 2008
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 View Post
LOL...exit then!!!
lol! my POINT exactly..just exit and dont respond..you look even sillier by responding wit a dumb answer like "YO......this thread..is...aaahh...dumb" YOU the dummy responding to a thread YOU didnt wanna answer,lol How stupid?
Old 8th August 2008
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post

It may be easy to click a mouse... but not easy to make a great track.
Well YOU must be that clown that im talking about..sitting there mouse clicking pre-made loops, putting them together, then calling the beat your own! OH BOY!
Old 8th August 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
Well YOU must be that clown that im talking about..sitting there mouse clicking pre-made loops, putting them together, then calling the beat your own! OH BOY!
Haha if only it was that simple. This is my last post as it is really inapropriate to be bitching back and forth like little kids. This is not what should be going on on GS.

PM if you want to pursue this further I will gladly shut you up.
Old 8th August 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 

Is that the sound of Tony entering the building...?
Old 8th August 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

To the OP, I agree with MYAMS, these threads rarely make any sense or help anyone that you start. Sorry -- just keep at your beats though - you will only get better..
Old 8th August 2008
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
To the OP, I agree with MYAMS, these threads rarely make any sense or help anyone that you start. Sorry -- just keep at your beats though - you will only get better..
The beats wont stop thats for show. I started the thread to see if i was the only one feeling that way. I know some dudes close to me who felt like this software s**t was to easy and we just look for new challenges. So i wanted to see if others where feeling the same way. Now im taking it as if i touched a nerve with some of YOU who very well maybe the ones sitting there mouse clicking a beat together,lol! and trying to defend it..REAL MEN DONT GET SENSITIVE AND DEFENSIVE, CHICKS DO. REAL MEN MOVE ON AND GET EVEN. PEACE
Old 8th August 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
tonymission's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
Does it seem like your "cheating" sometimes when it comes to software beat making programs?

Sometimes I will find myself just mouse clicking and putting a beat together. Like its "TOO" easy to do. Are we cheating or getting cheated out of the amount of work and understanding music. Is this why its so much "crap" on the radio now because its more accessible to get the tools to make music?

I come from the days of hardware and now sorta dealing with software, i kinda feel like its too easy to make tracks,lol! I know technology is a good thing but i also feel like technology took away the hard work for cats to get in the game..
No offense.

But maybe you should stop "putting beats together" (make some dope music instead?)...

I checked out your Myspace and again, just keepin it G, your beats aren't very interesting. Not trying to hate (just state! PSM) but just cuz something makes the process easier, doesnt mean much aside from "you better step your game up then".

Because the process is easier for EVERYONE. Your standards need to increase (as the industry's does) in proportion to the ease of production.

And cats who can ****in WRECK a beat... and i mean wreck it... they gonna school the **** out of anyone anyways. Doesn't matter...

Fantom, an MPC, a Motif, Logic, Reason, Pro Tools tracking straight audio, some pots and pans whatever ...

A real live/life beat battle... the better producer gonna win every time.

And in real life, they get the placements. Dont get it twisted bruh.thumbsup
Old 8th August 2008
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
No offense.

But maybe you should stop "putting beats together" (make some dope music instead?)...

I checked out your Myspace and again, just keepin it G, your beats aren't very interesting. Not trying to hate (just state! PSM) but just cuz something makes the process easier, doesnt mean much aside from "you better step your game up then".
LOL! I should STOP putting beats together? YOU dont get it twisted. I create MUSIC,lol! Show me YO ascap checks! I got a shoe box of ascap check stubs (and YES you are welcome to look me up on ascap: RALLY CAP MUSIC PUBLISHING). and YES, YOU do sound like a hater,lol! The myspace page? Oh those are what keeps the checks coming. SIMPLICITY is how you win in this game. YOU must be another mouse clicking beat maker tutt

I "HOPE" this isnt ME exposing the HATERS on gearslutz,lol! Lord knows that would not be a good look for gearslutz.com. REAL cats will start going to other forums discussing the real, with less sensitive "so called" producers here I got a better idea! How about YOU step YOUR game up..WOW I CANT BELIEVE I TOUCHED A NERVE HERE..HUMM..let me see what who else is sensitive like a lil girl on here,lol OUT!
Old 8th August 2008
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Pissing contest asside...

If you're feeling like software is too easy you're not pushing it far enough.

Same way with all technology, an example to me would be CDJs. People complain about these things not takeing enough effort and killin fundamentals but I still don't see many people really pushing a pair of pioneers to the limit.

Out before this goes any farther down hill.
Old 8th August 2008
  #23
Gear Head
 

honestly this thread didn't bother me at first because I just enjoy reading what other people have to say about things I am interested in, but now with this whole back and forth fighting and what not, I think it should just be deleted. Now on topic I think that technology makes things easier and at the same thing better, eventually hardware will break, that's a given, it may not be today or tommorow but it will, with software you buy all your programs, store all your projects, samples, etc on backups and if something happens to your DAW you just replace whatever needs replacing and restore, I think that's a lot easier then buying a whole bunch of pre's and such over and over, now given a choice without putting money and electronic failure to the side, most would buy hardware, but I think software gives everybody and even starting point, and it's up to the user to rise and make something unique, or just something that gets sold. I also just want to state that tonymission was just giving you some honest feedback, and you took it a little sensitively, that's what dudes like PHILLY mean when they say most hip hop cats can't take criticism. IMO the beats on your myspace page weren't that great, and maybe that's your style, and like you said if you get checks for em them props, but you shouldn't sh*t on somebody for giving you their opinion.
Old 8th August 2008
  #24
LOL! The funny part about this whole thread was........I was looking for a simple YES or NO answer....LOL....and what i got was the "sensitive", "wanna be" producing cats trying to defend the way they make tracks!

And you wanna know whats REALLY funny.........Ssshhhhhh, dont tell anyone BUT..I just saved alot of money by switching to...........REASON 4 heh.

And YES, this s**t is TOO easy...but the beats will continue to sell.
Old 8th August 2008
  #25
Lives for gear
 
tonymission's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
LOL! I should STOP putting beats together? YOU dont get it twisted. I create MUSIC,lol! Show me YO ascap checks! I got a shoe box of ascap check stubs (and YES you are welcome to look me up on ascap: RALLY CAP MUSIC PUBLISHING). and YES, YOU do sound like a hater,lol! The myspace page? Oh those are what keeps the checks coming. SIMPLICITY is how you win in this game. YOU must be another mouse clicking beat maker tutt

I "HOPE" this isnt ME exposing the HATERS on gearslutz,lol! Lord knows that would not be a good look for gearslutz.com. REAL cats will start going to other forums discussing the real, with less sensitive "so called" producers here I got a better idea! How about YOU step YOUR game up..WOW I CANT BELIEVE I TOUCHED A NERVE HERE..HUMM..let me see what who else is sensitive like a lil girl on here,lol OUT!
Yo -- put the glass down ...

I said you should "stop putting beats together"

Notice the quotes...

That means I was quoting something you said ... putting something together like its whatever ho-hum or really taking full advantage of the software and pushing it to its limits.

I didn't say you should stop making "music".

Do you.

I got 12"s on the largest drum and bass label in the world, music in video games and dvds you own, beats comin up with rappers who's cds you own, a video model girlfriend named masika and i aint got a ****in care in the world ...

Do you.

Congrats on the shoebox btw...
Old 8th August 2008
  #26
SCR
Gear Head
 

Quote:
LOL! I should STOP putting beats together? YOU dont get it twisted. I create MUSIC. lol! show me YO ascap checks! I got a shoe box of ascap check stubs. and YES, YOU do sound like a hater,lol! The myspace page? Oh those what keeps the checks coming. SIMPLICITY is how you when in this game. Must be another mouse clicking beat maker tutt

I "HOPE" this isnt ME exposing the HATERS on gearslutz,lol! Lord knows that would not be a good look for gearslutz.com. REAL cats will start going to other forums discussing the real with less sensitive "so called" producer here..OUT!


Your getting out of your depth here with that one...tutt



But,your right about the part where you said "Its easy to throw a beat together" this is 100% correct.

But to make it sound decent is another kettle of fish,which will only come with dedication and determination,weather you use an ASR-10 or Reason.
INSTRUMENTS/Hardware/Software,doesnt matter - Theyre all tools,a means to an end.


DONT GET BITTER-GET BETTER
Old 8th August 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
LOL! The funny part about this whole thread was........I was looking for a simple YES or NO answer....LOL....and what i got was the "sensitive", "wanna be" producing cats trying to defend the way they make tracks!
That was your first mistake right there. Why start a thread in a DISCUSSION FORUM if you just wanted a Yes or No answer??? Why not make it a poll instead?

And then you call everyone else "sensitive" when it's obviously clear from your responses that you can't handle ANY criticism of your "beats" so you seem to have some issues there. And then assuming that everyone who you don't agree with is a "wannabe producer" who makes beats with a mouse is just ignorant. You really do need to mature a little bit. You shouldn't call people "defensive and sensitive" when you are doing the same thing.
Old 8th August 2008
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
I got 12"s on the largest drum and bass label in the world
LOL! does it [email protected]@K or [email protected] like i do "drum and bass"? Dont make me laugh!

YOUR ON A LABEL, I have my own!,lol! YOUR working for someone's label, I DONT. I HAVE and CAN put out stuff when i want. Are you serious?,lol! YOU better look me up man. Just google my name or many NAMES referring to ME: Q.U. Da Scientist, Campsite Records, Rally Cap Music, lulu.com/campsite records. c'mon man. Drum and Bass? Ive made money off of SAMPLING and slowing down drum and bass for songs i did with artist. THATS WHAT I THINK ABOUT DRUM AND BASS.
Old 8th August 2008
  #29
Lives for gear
 
tonymission's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
LOL! does it [email protected]@K or [email protected] like i do "drum and bass"? Dont make me laugh!

YOUR ON A LABEL, I have my own!,lol! YOUR working for someone's label, I DONT. I HAVE and CAN put out stuff when i want. Are you serious?,lol! YOU better look me up man. Just google my name or many NAMES referring to ME: Q.U. Da Scientist, Campsite Records, Rally Cap Music, lulu.com/campsite records. c'mon man. Drum and Bass? Ive made money off of SAMPLING and slowing down drum and bass for songs i did with artist. THATS WHAT I THINK ABOUT DRUM AND BASS.
listen.

dumbass.

im not on a label.

i don't make drum and bass.

ive made a ton of **** on a big scale for over a decade is what i was saying... now, being in atlanta, i produce solo for artists on disturbing tha peace, slip n slide, def jam, cte and many local atlanta ones. you probably don't gotta google them.

im just going to chuckle and bow out now ... this ain't what you want.

ive been at this ... .

now put down whatever inibriate happens to make you so ignorant, shut your computer off, and go to bed.

Old 8th August 2008
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
And then you call everyone else "sensitive" when it's obviously clear from your responses that you can't handle ANY criticism of your "beats" so you seem to have some issues there.
LOL! are you serious? ive been hearing criticism from DAY 1 of me making music and im sure YOU have to from various people. If i was THAT sensitive i would have stopped making music 15yrs ago,lol! and that was from people in person. so what make you think i cant handle it from cats on here that i NEVER MET? now YOU making me laugh, please stop, ya killin me!

I didnt start this to bash anybody but after i started it, i could easily see the feathers start to ruffle (like i knew it would) with some cats. that didnt do anything but show me how sensitive they are. I can take criticism. I can laugh at myself and keep it moving. you dont like the way i lay tracks down, cool, aint no thang becuase i know there is 10 more people out there that will. quick story- i let an artist here some tracks. this 1 track i just KNEW was good for him, he turned down. i said "ok, cool" i ended up getting the beat in the hands of Busta Rhymes manager and the artist found out, he blew my phone up trying to get that beat back. I told him "hey, you turned it down. now its in the hands of Busta, its nothing i can do about it now"

If i had listened to that same criticism back then, i wouldnt know or be where im at now. I laugh at it and move on. you gonna ALWAYS have somebody in yo ear tellin you what AINT supposed to be or this and that. I figured out a long time ago that life aint fair. YOU gotta go with what YOU feel is right. If the type of beats i make has been working for ME, then its what works for ME..YOU do YOU and get YO money. YOU WILL NEVER GET ANYWHERE LISTING TO WHAT I CALL "HATE CRITICISM". "CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM" IS ALWAYS GOOD.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
djburnone / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
36
pascalspits / Music Computers
2
MIDIchlorian / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
16
eligit / So much gear, so little time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump