The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how to do YOU become a better producer/engineer/composer etc Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th August 2008
Here for the gear

how to do YOU become a better producer/engineer/composer etc

What up y'all!

I have been doing some thinking lately and and i am trying to understand how to become a better producer/composer/ engineer etc.

What methods i have found to work are:

- recreating hit/popular songs
- practice trying to mix a song to make it sound sonically like a commercial record
- listening to a wider variety of music
- staying disciplined

what methods have you found that work for you???

Thanks
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

- learning about the history of music in general with particular attention to the genres of music you create
- learning music theory
- copy the greats of the past until you have found your own style and YOU are able to shape the future state of music
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

lol.... all of them. Continue to keep learning. When you struggle a lil then you know you learning

add:
-Work with others
-Get a vision of what you want (ultimate Goal) and don't lose site of it. the rest will fallow
Old 7th August 2008
Here for the gear

thanks for the great replies guys.heh

Lets keep them coming!!
Old 7th August 2008
smoke weed. listen to music.

Man, I'm tryin HAAARRRDDD ova hurrr!!
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

collab with players(piano guitar drums bass) from different genres and get them to fit your tracks, kinda like a fusion.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Work constantly.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_music View Post
thanks for the great replies guys.heh

Lets keep them coming!!
Forget about copying other people.....try to be original and be someone that other beatmakers want to copy.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I would say apprentice under someone who's good!!! Kanye,Timbo,Pharell, Danja, Storch all came up under someones wing!!!

Last edited by DROPKICK; 7th August 2008 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: cause I can LOL
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gilla View Post
Work constantly.
Yes. We all learn by doing. Work as much as possible and always analyze what you do, figure out WHY something works or doesn't work. Experience is the best teacher.

Good luck.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPKICK View Post
I would say apprentice under someone who's good!!! Kanye,Timbo,Pharell, Danja, Storch all came up under someones wing!!!
That's something I would really love to do. Anyone have any ideas how to go about doing this?
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah and those guys all showed all the promise in the world... like my homeboy the "Black Mozart" ... that's why we all work with him. Cuz HE'S GOOD ALREADY...

YOU WANNA MAKE GOOD MUSIC !?!?!?!

MAKE A LOT OF ****TY MUSIC....

the more crap you make the more you'll figure out how to NOT do it next time
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
Yeah and those guys all showed all the promise in the world... like my homeboy the "Black Mozart" ... that's why we all work with him. Cuz HE'S GOOD ALREADY...

YOU WANNA MAKE GOOD MUSIC !?!?!?!

MAKE A LOT OF ****TY MUSIC....

the more crap you make the more you'll figure out how to NOT do it next time
While it's better than doing nothing, it's certainly not the approach I'd recommend.

Work on one piece of music until you've run it into the ground. Consider it like an experiemt or school project, and as long as you can hear short comings, try to overcome them.

That way, rather than have 200 half-ass wasted ideas, by your 10th project you're really ****in moving, and the ideas are fleshing into viable music...with all aspects somewhat covered.

Don't leave things that show potential, if you can see that it needs work. WORK ON IT BITCH!!!
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Kelly View Post
While it's better than doing nothing, it's certainly not the approach I'd recommend.

Work on one piece of music until you've run it into the ground. Consider it like an experiemt or school project, and as long as you can hear short comings, try to overcome them.

That way, rather than have 200 half-ass wasted ideas, by your 10th project you're really ****in moving, and the ideas are fleshing into viable music...with all aspects somewhat covered.

Don't leave things that show potential, if you can see that it needs work. WORK ON IT BITCH!!!
After you become really good, don't waste your time on things that aren't going quite right.. cause if you're good, you can make something good out of anything -- that's not the point -- you're looking for greatness, so move on to maximize your time.
I don't think most of us are in that boat.. so keep workin on the song (or whatever) till it's killin you!! (in one way or another)
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
After you become really good, don't waste your time on things that aren't going quite right.. cause if you're good, you can make something good out of anything -- that's not the point -- you're looking for greatness, so move on to maximize your time.
I don't think most of us are in that boat.. so keep workin on the song (or whatever) till it's killin you!! (in one way or another)
i meant at that stage before you're good.. its kind of like a joke

whats the secret to doin what ya do?

honestly, id like to think i never make anything that's not hot anymore...

i know that sounds cocky but if it aint workin, aint vibing... it just never gets done.

i wont sit there and try to polish a turd... you know when the vibe is right.

you can go up and down my beat list and you might not like the styles of all of them and there might be some mix issues here and there but it's my sound all the way through and i think once you get it and get a vibe, there's really nothing to keep you from doing it every time.

take that back, i have a ton of ****ty tracks... they're just sitting on the fantom or the daw or the MP or whatevr...
Old 8th August 2008
MUSIC THEORY!

It rocks so much. Suddenly you'll realize you've been fooled by people who play the same two notes over and over again and think it's a song.
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
MUSIC THEORY!

It rocks so much. Suddenly you'll realize you've been fooled by people who play the same two notes over and over again and think it's a song.
It is a song. Sometimes a really good one. Sometimes not so much :p

But, ya wouldn't it be nice to be able to do something else as well huh?
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Yeah making a lot of crap is inebitable in my opinion.

Knowing when an idea has run its course and having the confidence to trash it and move on are two extremely valuable skills to learn.

Another important thing to try is moving out of your comfort zone. If you tend to work very slowly and thoroughly try taking you brain out of the equation for a minute and try o work off instinct, or visa versa.

This also has to do with.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Just dont spend days laboring over a hi hat pattern.
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Just dont spend days laboring over a hi hat pattern.
I've done that. Not long ago either.
Drove me mad, and made me depressed.

Glad I did it?

HELL YES!!! (now that it's over with)

I couldn't stand the idea to leave the rest of the composition without proper complimenting hats/shakers, and really had trouble executing what I thought should've worked.

In this particular problem, it was more an issue of recording the right "sound"/tone.. than the pattern itself, but the pattern was part of the equation.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

accept your limitations.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

"Practice makes Progress"

heh and as mention above...learn some history about music, its musicians, its producers, etc etc

and be sure to broaden your listening. explore all types of music.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've done that. Not long ago either.
Drove me mad, and made me depressed.

Glad I did it?

HELL YES!!! (now that it's over with)

I couldn't stand the idea to leave the rest of the composition without proper complimenting hats/shakers, and really had trouble executing what I thought should've worked.

In this particular problem, it was more an issue of recording the right "sound"/tone.. than the pattern itself, but the pattern was part of the equation.
Long ago and far away back in the stone age of technology, I was in England producing a new act for Polydor.
At the time,I hadnt just yet started programming stuff so I hired a guy who was allegedly an "expert"in the field.
The first version of the Synclavier was there and believe it or else three days later he was still working on the hi hat pattern!!!

Plus,I was freezing my b***s off in that studio!!

I still cringe at the thought.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
accept your limitations.
I dont believe that personally. I might have a weakness or a shortcoming but I can never accept. And thats not just with music either. Everything I do, if i feel a lack in a certain department I work on it. You might not have been serious but I felt the need to say that.
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
accept your limitations.
word thumbsup
rock what you got...
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBlack View Post
I dont believe that personally. I might have a weakness or a shortcoming but I can never accept. And thats not just with music either. Everything I do, if i feel a lack in a certain department I work on it. You might not have been serious but I felt the need to say that.
i was VERY serious.
i look at it as a bad investment, you'll never shine in those departments.
i'd rather invest in my talents.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
i was VERY serious.
I just have have to disagree with you saying "you'll never shine in thopse departments". I also add that Im not talking about things I have absolutely no aptitude for. however any part of my life that Ive struggled with and wanted to improve I have. I honestly believe anything you wnat to change or improve about yourself can be done with dedication.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
accept your limitations.
Probably the worst advise I've ever heardtutt

limitations are bull****. If you think your limited then your are. If you "suck" at something work on it because the more you learn the better and more valuable you become.
Old 8th August 2008
Here for the gear

Hello,

only life can helps you to get better. The pain, the love … the last hurricane.

Old 9th August 2008
Quote:
i was VERY serious.
All these people saying you gave bad advice, probably suck at everything and just don't want to believe it will be like that forever.

I recognize that you gave very solid advice.

ACCEPT YOUR LIMITATIONS. SHINE WHERE YOU HAVE NO BOUNDARIES!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search