The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Single Part 1 B. Cox and Adonis Creating her first single Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
I'm i the only one that was feel'n that first beat that got X'ed. I could see the frustration in b cox eyes. And not like monica was being nice about it either. I thought that synth had 10x the emotion as the one they went with.
I like it... that intro percussion was dope as hell.

I notice all the "big producers" always doing that same exaggerated head bob. I'm takin notes...

It's kinda like in sales... I was always taught to nod a lot while I was talking as it got them nodding as well. If you're moped slumped over playing someone your beats, that energy (or lack of) is going to transfer to the room...

Little, I know... but there's somethin to it!

Adonis killed it tho -- I wanna work with him.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

anybody else notice that "Ms Cherry" from "Ms Rap Supreme" was in the second [email protected] minutes and 21 seconds?
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah Adonis is a beast! They have a dope team...
Old 7th August 2008
Deleted #29527
Great post!

"Still standing" is a SMASH record! I was impressed by the writer Adonis.

I can easily see that song as a first single.

Great team, interesting video ...!
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I loved the vids.

I wish they would ve shown b. cox creating the still standing record..

ok when did the nerd glasses become cool...???

jeez the sunglasses indoors thing and sunglasses at night really irritate me. ( anybody else)

did anybody else want a 24 inch I mac after seeing them in the studio??? (Goes to apple website to start drooling)

how come nobody commented on the fact that monica jumped on the curb and hit that gas hard.. That was hood lol..
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post

I notice all the "big producers" always doing that same exaggerated head bob. I'm takin notes...

It's kinda like in sales... I was always taught to nod a lot while I was talking as it got them nodding as well. If you're moped slumped over playing someone your beats, that energy (or lack of) is going to transfer to the room...

dont forget the playing of the invisibile keyboards while your tracks are playing on the big speakers with the head nod.... Makes your track that much hotter lol....
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

Did anyone ever consider that this is all a front and part of a marketing scheme? To make Monica look "real" and "down to earth" and appeal to a less trendy fanbase (to escape the here-today-gone-tomorrow fate)??

The only people that seem real to me in all 6 parts are the record company a&r and her cousin/manager ...

I also agree with filterayok: why don't they write 12 first singles!?!?! And how crap is the communication if B. Cox and his team completely miss Monica's "vision"?? Although I really doubt that Monica actually has an artistic vision and anything to say that's her own ...
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Damn, Adonis is incredible....wow
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy1 View Post
Did anyone ever consider that this is all a front and part of a marketing scheme? To make Monica look "real" and "down to earth" and appeal to a less trendy fanbase (to escape the here-today-gone-tomorrow fate)??

The only people that seem real to me in all 6 parts are the record company a&r and her cousin/manager ...

I also agree with filterayok: why don't they write 12 first singles!?!?! And how crap is the communication if B. Cox and his team completely miss Monica's "vision"?? Although I really doubt that Monica actually has an artistic vision and anything to say that's her own ...
I think it made Monica look like a stupid ****in bitch... And unattractive.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
I think it made Monica look like a stupid ****in bitch... And unattractive.
... well, sometimes that's what "real" means, isn't it?
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Come on think about it, A marketing scheme? maybe if this video was put out by her camp...but if you watch any of the B. Cox youtube videos...he's that same way in all of them so i would tend to think that's the way he is normally. As far as Monica goes i dont know her but why would you say she's not real. you dont know whats she's like when the cameras not in her face...that could be how she is. I think the video is helpful by showing us how different people work and get through the grind and get stuff done.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio01169 View Post
Come on think about it, A marketing scheme? maybe if this video was put out by her camp...but if you watch any of the B. Cox youtube videos...he's that same way in all of them so i would tend to think that's the way he is normally. As far as Monica goes i dont know her but why would you say she's not real. you dont know whats she's like when the cameras not in her face...that could be how she is. I think the video is helpful by showing us how different people work and get through the grind and get stuff done.
Could be. It's just that everything appears extremely scripted and everything they say/do is one big stereotype. Nobody is ever real in any of these shows because nobody would do these types of shows if it wasn't to present a certain image.

Regarding B. Cox: I haven't seen any of the videos on youtube, but these videos with monica show me a guy who has trouble articulating himself properly and who is putting on a show. Both is fine, but check out the look of insecurity on his whole team's face whenever they play a song for Monica. The way he takes off his glasses, just to put them back on because he is nervous. THAT looks real to me. Everyone who plays his new song for someone is nervous because every artist/writer is hoping his/her brainchild will get approval. It's especially visible when they play the very first track that Monica rejects - the whole team is tense. That's the type of stuff that humans are made off. Not pseudo-cool bopping around and all the studio scenes that you get to see in those videos. Cause nobody cares for hours of vocal takes, EQing, testing plugs and failing at songwriting ...

Not saying you are definitely wrong, but I've just been behind-the-scenes of too many TV "reality" shows and it's always faked ...
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cause nobody cares for hours of vocal takes, EQing, testing plugs and failing at songwriting ...

That's the kinda stuff I'd really wanna see in a video
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post

Lol to the head bob thing!!

Used to be like that on a live session when the drummer would dance around the control room to make the producer think that he was in the groove, when he was really "all over the place" and when the producer listened back later on, he would hear how f**d up it REALLY was.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could be. It's just that everything appears extremely scripted and everything they say/do is one big stereotype. Nobody is ever real in any of these shows because nobody would do these types of shows if it wasn't to present a certain image.

Regarding B. Cox: I haven't seen any of the videos on youtube, but these videos with monica show me a guy who has trouble articulating himself properly and who is putting on a show. Both is fine, but check out the look of insecurity on his whole team's face whenever they play a song for Monica. The way he takes off his glasses, just to put them back on because he is nervous. THAT looks real to me. Everyone who plays his new song for someone is nervous because every artist/writer is hoping his/her brainchild will get approval. It's especially visible when they play the very first track that Monica rejects - the whole team is tense. That's the type of stuff that humans are made off. Not pseudo-cool bopping around and all the studio scenes that you get to see in those videos. Cause nobody cares for hours of vocal takes, EQing, testing plugs and failing at songwriting ...

Not saying you are definitely wrong, but I've just been behind-the-scenes of too many TV "reality" shows and it's always faked ...
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup to all of the above!!
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's the kinda stuff I'd really wanna see in a video
I understand, but Gearslutz/producers are never the target audience for mainstream TV
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
... well, sometimes that's what "real" means, isn't it?
Monica IS kind of "hood", but so is Whitney Houston, and both were very successful with the David Foster/Dianne Warren combo, so I do believe that in that case,Monica deserves better than whats in that video and should return to where her biggest success was....if she can.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah B. Cox's head-boppin seemed kind of awkward and overdone. Like they wanted him to overly enthusiastic to foil Monica's reaction.

It is clearly a mediocre to throwaway joint for B Cox and I am sure he knew it... the whole thing seemed real scripted.

There is a whole bunch of B Cox videos on youtube out there of him in the studio actually creating that seem much more realistic. B Cox is a great producer and I wouldn't take what you say in the video too seriously.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah B. Cox's head-boppin seemed kind of awkward and overdone. Like they wanted him to overly enthusiastic to foil Monica's reaction.

It is clearly a mediocre to throwaway joint for B Cox and I am sure he knew it... the whole thing seemed real scripted.

There is a whole bunch of B Cox videos on youtube out there of him in the studio actually creating that seem much more realistic. B Cox is a great producer and I wouldn't take what you say in the video too seriously.
is it anymore dramatic as this
YouTube - HAVOC - The Kush - In The Studio
or this
YouTube - The Dough Boyz in the lab....Royal...Duece
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I dont know, man i've seen SO MANY of those sessions, where everyones just hypin eachother and goin nutz over some ****ty song... Just cuz cox has some hits doesnt mean he can tell without a doubt whats a hit and whats not...Otherwise EVERY song he did would be a smash. Its like basketball, the ones that only hit 50% are considered AMAZING. I'm sure he just figures, i'll be hyped on EVERYTHING and hope i'm right at least a couple of times!
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
I dont know, man i've seen SO MANY of those sessions, where everyones just hypin eachother and goin nutz over some ****ty song... Just cuz cox has some hits doesnt mean he can tell without a doubt whats a hit and whats not...Otherwise EVERY song he did would be a smash. Its like basketball, the ones that only hit 50% are considered AMAZING. I'm sure he just figures, i'll be hyped on EVERYTHING and hope i'm right at least a couple of times!
It amazes me how all the so called beatmakers think that they are on to some 'NEXT ****E' when its all been done a million other times by a million other people.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
It amazes me how all the so called beatmakers think that they are on to some 'NEXT ****E' when its all been done a million other times by a million other people.
that is such a true statement. these dudes are boppin their heads like they know a check for a million is coming for that beat.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
that is such a true statement. these dudes are boppin their heads like they know a check for a million is coming for that beat.
lol..at least a million.

One time a friend with a tiny indy label signed a rap crew who were really pretty decent.
So right after they put pen to paper they asked..
"like yo dude, where my Bentley at?? where da Escalade?? Where da bling at??
They could have at least not ended their sentence with a preposition!!
Unbelievable isnt it??
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mean its different when its a hip-hop session or a club banger. Neither of which it was. It just seemed like they asked B Cox to over-react in my opinion.

One thing I don't get is people think just cause a track is uptempo its gonna knock in the clubs- I've heard so many producers be like this a track for the club and its far far from. Like what DJ would play that beat in a club?
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
One thing I don't get is people think just cause a track is uptempo its gonna knock in the clubs- I've heard so many producers be like this a track for the club and its far far from. Like what DJ would play that beat in a club?
You Philly, that's worthy of a sig, no?

"Yo, this track is for da club!" - idiot beatmakers everywhere

Damn I've heard that too many times about songs that supposedly fit "tempo" requirements, but don't have any of the correct appeal to work in that environment...
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Kelly View Post
You Philly, that's worthy of a sig, no?

"Yo, this track is for da club!" - idiot beatmakers everywhere

Damn I've heard that too many times about songs that supposedly fit "tempo" requirements, but don't have any of the correct appeal to work in that environment...
Yeah and the tracks that you can actually play in a club usually turn out to be HUGE hits.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Cox is just passionate about his music. Tell me you don't get like that or that excited on some of your joints. It's probably one of the reason he's where he's at cause of the passion and how his creation of joints get his energy juiced.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

has monica always have that accent?
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 View Post
has monica always have that accent?
What, ghetto?
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
What, ghetto?
Lol!!! "ghettouttahere!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search