The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beginner Needs Help Picking Mic Preamp Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedout View Post
I dont even fully understand what a compressor does. I know I would still need an interface on top of that as well but thats about it. Will it be hard to set up adjust and all that grief? Im the definition of a noob. Wouldnt the dmp3 work on its own, it has a high gain range.
1.lazedout please read about the compressors. Google is you friend like they say.

2.Why you still say you would need an interface? And why wouldn't you? I don't get it. Really. You ask about the soundcard? You're not sure if you need one or you don't know which one to choose?

3.Did you choose a mic already?

4.Yes - the DMP3 would work. But what is your budget? You started with RNP and now you want to buy DMP3?

5.How many channels do you need?

You HAVE TO know answers to these questions.
ANOTHER EDIT

How much would that "chain" be?
AT3035 > M-Audio Tampa > E-mu 1212m ?

From ebay:
$(about 140 + about 280 + about130) = about $550.

Peace.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Head

1) mic - sm58 with tab transformer

2) pre - the problem was, I wasnt sure if I could afford an rnp. So it was either invest in rnp, or buy a cheaper pre for now. You said it in your last post, "IF you have enough money go with the RNP, if not..." thats why i mentioned dmp3.

3) I said I need an interface because I do, lol. i wasnt asking.

4) Im only using this for my mic so channels arent an issue.

and finally

5) I dont remember asking about a soundcard. I will be on a laptop a lot of the time.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedout View Post
5) I dont remember asking about a soundcard. I will be on a laptop a lot of the time.
Great. So when you are on laptop, you don't need the soundcard? Now - I don't get it but whatever.

I thought that interface=soundcard. Maybe I'm wrong. /Oh - and of course - E-mu 1212m won't fit to the laptop - Sorry/.

But I see - you made your decisions. I'm out.
Old 10th August 2008
I'd go:
58 upgrade->EMU 404 USB->Computer.
Then see how that sounds. Whlie you learn what your doing, SAVE. Then in a month or 2 you can skip the DMP3 & buy the RNP.

58-$200
EMU 404 USB-$200 (could go with the 202 for $129 but the 404 will give you better sounding D/A for listening). If you plan to upgrade later (as you should) go with the 202 USB.

There you go. Everything you need for $400 or $330.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search