The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beginner Needs Help Picking Mic Preamp Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedout View Post
il be plugging it into what ever interface I get... Or do I have the whole concept wrong lol.
that will work. Are you looking for a top quality sound, or are you looking just to mess around and make some vocals to show to friends etc.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Head

Obviously I wont get top quality unless I spend a few thousand. I just want good quality, something that will be enjoyable to listen to. When/if the time come I will upgrade.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

If I were you I would get:
*E-mu 1212m
*Audio Technica AT4040
*FMR RNP.

I wouldn't buy twice - the cheap gear in the beginning and after 2 years the new one. Buy something good like I wrote.
/Even if you would not like it you would sell it with a bigger price than the cheap gear relatively/.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Head

wouldnt i still need an interface on top of that?

For some reason last night, i was really thinking of going with the NTK. I cant make up my mind. People are saying go with dynamic for untreated. But I feel that I would like a condenser more.

how would the RNP fair with something like a sm57? I havent been able to find a RNP for sale except for mercenaries. But i would want to buy used, 475 is too much lol.
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
wouldnt i still need an interface on top of that?
What do you mean by that? The soundcard IS the audio interface...
Sound card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if 475 is too much, then I would get E-mu 1212m, maybe Studio Projects C1 and the best preamp you can afford - not the channel strip - just a preamp.
I THINK that the mic and preamp would be more important than the soundcard in your situation.
Just get this E-mu and ask about the mic and the preamp with fixed soundcard < GO NOW and buy it
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
I use an AT4040 with a Focusrite Trakmaster Pro and I love the combo. I would personally stay away from the ART pre as it is built like crap.

You can hear how an AT 4040 and Focusrite sounds by listening to any of my tracks:

MC Celtic/Black Irish Productions
The ART MPA Gold pre is actually very good..do a search..thrers alot of people that like it...I do agree that outside of that art is crap!!
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Try this!

I think this would be all you need plus it has the ability to be expanded upon in the future.

EMU 1616M PCI Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com

Then add a Shure SM7 and call it a day, seriously.
Old 6th August 2008
Clips

Here's a clip of a song I recorded/mixed about a year ago. Now what I've done is just recorded the verse on top of the mastered Performance instrumental. It's completely DRY, no compression,EQ or anything else. Here's the chain: SM58->RNP->EMU1212M. I use Mogami cables & have about $1500 in acoustic treatment. I didn't turn off the A/C which is in the closet next to my studio & I didn't cover the computer fan(tower) like I usually do.
The 58 doesn't pick up the low end of my vox very well but it is what it is. Hell it's $100.
Here's 2 clips one with vox on top of the performance instrumental & the other by itself. They both are low in volume so you gotta turn it up.
Both are MP3's
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Head

nice man thanks. Im leaning towards the sm57 (pretty equal with 58) with upgraded TAB transformer. I want the RNP but cant find it used.
Old 8th August 2008
Why the 57 over the 58?
If you can't afford what you want, Save! you'll be disappointed in like 6 months when you realize you wasted your money. The RNP is worth it & you can keep it & use it forever. Nice DI too.
Or just go with this for now. Emu 0404 USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface from zZounds.com!
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sr. View Post
If you can't afford what you want, Save! you'll be disappointed in like 6 months when you realize you wasted your money. The RNP is worth it & you can keep it & use it forever. Nice DI too.
Yes - I also have to save I even decided that I will sell my Studio Projects VTB-1 pre and Studio Projects B1 mic for RNP /Yes - I would have no mic for a while but I hope RNP would be also nice as a pre for ASR10 and S900/
Shipment from USA to Poland - how much?
Old 9th August 2008
Lazedout,
If you can't afford what you want try an interface with a mic pre & the Beta 58.
Like the EMU 404 & the Beta 58. That's like $400 & will be everything you need. The Beta 58 has a higher output than the 58 & it also has more clarity. I bet you'd be happy with the results. Well, for your budget anyway.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Head

Im either getting the RNP or Brick as pre. Is the 58 better than the 57? I want the 57 because I can buy it with an upgraded transformer from mercenaries. The interface Im going to cheap out on tho for now.
Old 9th August 2008
Do you have an interface?
58 has a built in pop filter. Sounds very similar to the 57. You can buy the 58 with the transformer upgrade from merc. Just call or email them.
I've never heard the brick but I don't think it has very much gain. Like 55db.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Head

yeah. Thats why Im waiting to find the RNP used so its around the same price as the brick. I guess its a better investment. Is the 58 really better? I heard it still needs to be used with an external pop filter anyways.
Old 9th August 2008
Yeah its gonna be hard to find an RNP used. I don't think many people are trying get rid of it. 2 channels for 475. Not that its the best but for the price its definitly usable.

I don't think the 58 is better than the 57 but it does have a pop filter. And I do use an external pop filter with the 58.
Old 9th August 2008
Check this out this might help.
http://www.***************.com/jamroomsessions_home.php

Hmm... its not showing up. Just google jamroomsessions & something should come up.

Last edited by Ray Sr.; 9th August 2008 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Link not showing up
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im either getting the RNP or Brick as pre. Is the 58 better than the 57? I want the 57 because I can buy it with an upgraded transformer from mercenaries. The interface Im going to cheap out on tho for now.
Try searching at Secondhand Classifieds etc. Here at Gearslutz site.
Old 9th August 2008
Here for the gear

Good choice suggestion

Hi,

I would suggest to wait till you you have about $ 1.000 and do following:

Universal audio Pre-amp 110, top quality in its price class
Universal Audio | Analog Products | SOLO/110 | Overview

Microphone: Studio Projects C1
C1 - Studio Recording Microphone

This microphone is a king in microphones with price level till about $ 1.200
Costst less than $ 300

This microphone was tested in big studios in America after the NAMM with great results.

I'm a professional singer songwriter and engineer and above mentioned products are great.

Cheers.
Vabbies
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Addict

Sorry!!another pre to consider!!??

I do not know if the price is OK in the US and it will cost a touch more than 600 with power supply [which will run a second unit] but the Chameleon 7602 pre with EQ is a great and very very competitive mic pre..The EQ is so well laid out and sounds brilliant!!
Its definitely a new leader in the quality/price wars...
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Head

What pre would be JUST below the RNP? GT brick? I want the RNP but mic + RNP is 675. thats without interface. Thats a heavy price right now. Maybe get something cheap and upgrade later? What is a GOOD cheaper preamp? (Dpm3? MPA gold?)
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
What pre would be JUST below the RNP? GT brick? I want the RNP but mic + RNP is 675. thats without interface. Thats a heavy price right now. Maybe get something cheap and upgrade later? What is a GOOD cheaper preamp? (Dpm3? MPA gold?)
I think that I searched ALL the internet sites to answer the same question. AND from reviews and opinions those would be the pres you would like to consider - up to RNP:

1*Studio Projects VTB1 /pretty versatile/
2*M-Audio DMP3 /clean. 2 channel/
3*Joemeek ThreeQ /not great but not very bad "channel strip"/.
4*Rane MS1-b /only the pre - mainly for vocals, similar sound to DMP3 but 1 channel/.
5*second hand M-Audio Tampa /reading right now / <<< IT LOOKS NICE! READ ABOUT IT. < It's $279. NEW M-Audio Tampa Pro Microphone Preamp and Compressor - eBay (item 180274650113 end time Aug-14-08 19:30:00 PDT)
6*ART MPA GOLD
7*Groove Tubes The Brick /tube. 55 gain/ (about $370)
8*FMR RNP /2 channel - Nice/.(about $470)

Stay away from Focusrite budget preamps - also the "platinum" and "pro" series.

Also please read this: Don't waste your $ on "mid-level" mic pres and channel strips - Topic Powered by eve community

So ACCORDING TO the sites it won't make a BIG difference if you choose from 1-6. There would be at no 7 - 8.

JUST AN INTERNET OPINION.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Head

thanks a lot dude.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks a lot dude.
No problem. I just read another sites and they say you would like to try another tubes when using ART MPA GOLD, so what I would do is:
*Buy a new pre - any from 1-3 /from my previous post/ or
*Buy used M-Audio Tampa or
*wait and buy The Brick.

That's my INTERNET opinion.

Oh - and that M-Audio Tampa wasn't second hand. Sorry. It's just discontinued. But it's "new" for $279.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Head

between the m-audio, brick and RNP. But RNP is pushing my budget to the limit lol.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

You can hear some of the pres here:
The Listening Sessions - Session 3
Old 10th August 2008
I used to own the M-Audio Tampa. Not bad but not really great either. Well, its really nice for the price. You can find one used for under $200. I sold mine to upgrade to the RNP. I've heard the Joe meek Q3 on vox & it isn't that bad. With the compressor you can really get things gritty if you want. The Tampa will give you a smooth polished sound if you use the compressor going in. Not really transparent but close.
Yas know how cheap pres will sound as if there is a blanket over the sound, well the tampa is more like a thick sheet.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

After reading another 100+ sites I would advice this:
/Yeah I know I shouldn't make a decision which is based on internet opinions but whatever/.

1.If you have this money - Get FMR RNP.

If you don't - and won't have in a near future (I won't):
2. Get:
> If you need one channel:
a) Studio Projects VTB1 AND FMR RNC or
b) M-Audio Tampa - Maybe - It won't be better than VTB1 and RNC. /and Tampa has it's own compressor which based on Internet reviews won't be better than RNC/.

>If you need two channels:
a) M-Audio DMP3 AND FMR RNC

3.If you want to buy something good now - get The Brick. /I know - it's ugly, has 55 gain, no meters, has that tube sound/.

I think that's it.

P.S.
That's the Internet opinion. I know, I know. One.

EDIT:
I'm tired of reading those sites so in the end I would edit my post like that:

1.If you have this money - Get FMR RNP.

If you don't - and won't have in a near future (I won't):
2. Get:
> If you need one channel:
* Studio Projects VTB1 AND FMR RNC or
* M-Audio Tampa

>If you need two channels:
* M-Audio DMP3

3.If you want to buy something good now - get The Brick.

Peace. I won't be chaniging anything more here
Old 10th August 2008
I've never used the vtb1 or GT Brick so I can't speak on them but, The tampa is very usable & if I remember right it has enough gain for a dynamic like the 58. Also you can use a compressor to add more gain.

Hoenstly I'd save, & get the best I could next month or something. He almost has enough for really good quality.
I went through a phase we're I bought consumer gear, then I upgraded everything & have Prosumer gear. Now its time to get in the pro ranks. The bad thing is that it's all $1500+. Though one of my friends (used to be my teacher) uses budget gear in his studio & makes great quality music. He owns the Joe Meek Q3, & made this one guys vox shine. I think he used the KSM27 & the Joe Meek Q3. It was Rock Vox though.
But he's got over 20yrs experience. I now know that if you know exactly what your doing you can use some not so expensive gear & make great music.
Though some genres of music are more forgiving than, lets say, a pop radio song.
My 2.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Head

I dont even fully understand what a compressor does. I know I would still need an interface on top of that as well but thats about it. Will it be hard to set up adjust and all that grief? Im the definition of a noob. Wouldnt the dmp3 work on its own, it has a high gain range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search