The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just Blaze Rips Akai and The MPC5000 A New One Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Head

Just how the mpc 2500 was put together,,, (Though less)
But don't get me wrong i love my mpc 2500 regardless
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Head

Akai dosen't care about its customers !!![/quote]
Man i think the same thing, We have to buy the jjos
when akai should of release it for free ......
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

I have the 5000 & i really enjoy it. I find it much better than the 4000 & i know many people who sold their 4000 to get the 5000.

The 4000 had more bugs when it was released than the 5000 have.

The 5000 filters & fx are a lot better than the 4000 ( unusable ) also the workflow is a lot faster !!

There s no " catastrophic " bugs that avoid to work, i got it freeze maybe 2 times not more while browsing too fast the HD ( solved with 1.02 ) and i use it a lot !!!

Also AKAI already released an update to solve the compatibility pb with older MPC ( 2000 ).

It s impossible to solve everybugs when you release a machine, there s too much possibility to check them all.

Just blaze review was all impulsive & inexact.

He should be carefull when reviewing something cause his statement have a lot of influence on most folks.

Quote:
Akai dosen't care about its customers !!![
That s what you think but i can affirm you it s wrong !

Also the MPC 5000 team is a new one so give them time to make their prof.

They already proven they are faster than their predecessors by releasing 2 updates in less than 3 month after releasing the product when it took 6 month for the 2500....

Give them time & stop bitching !
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Here's a radical suggestion: hire some actual musicians to beta test the damned thing, find the bugs, and work them out before releasing it to the public. For what amounts to a $2,500 drum machine, I'd expect nothing less.

Let's be honest here: there's nothing that the MPC-5000 does that is technically difficult to achieve any more. Sampling is an established tech, so is sequencing, so are soft synths, DSP-based effects, et cetera. So they're not on the cutting edge trying to do things that no one has done before. Since they are working with well-established tech, they shouldn't be having these kinds of problems with bugs, particularly since some of their own earlier designs lacked those bugs and therefore presumably the company already knows how to solve those issues.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Man, Im blessed to have been ther,for real.
We were just having fun making some good music and no one ever thought that we'd be enjoying it in the next century..let alone in the next year.

Well..excuse me while I go feed my pet dinosaur(smile)
Thank God..hes a vegan.
Geez..how did you all scope me out?
I thought that I was on the "dl"(smile)

PSM
You look alot different then what I expected.. I expected you to look like Samuel L Jackson!!! lol
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barznbeats1 View Post
You look alot different then what I expected.. I expected you to look like Samuel L Jackson!!! lol
Ha ha.. fooled ya!!

Im the original "chameleon"..in the true sense.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I have another question, more directed towards users of past MPCs: given all of the advances in music software, and the falling prices for laptops, didn't you expect the new $2,500 MPC to be able to do...more? I mean, you can get a laptop fast enough for music production for $1,000-$1,500 (on the Wintel side of things, at least), and the software you need for another $1,000, if you pick wisely. For the same $2,500 you would have spent on that MPC, you can now sequence, sample, record to disk, burn CDs, etc (and if you add an MPD-32, you have MPC pads, note repeat, all of it).

Akai has to be aware of the state of computer-based music production, so it seems to me that the MPC-5000 ought to have been geared towards competing directly with laptop rigs. It kinda does...if that rig was built circa 2001 or so.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomazzzi View Post

That s what you think but i can affirm you it s wrong !

Also the MPC 5000 team is a new one so give them time to make their prof.

They already proven they are faster than their predecessors by releasing 2 updates in less than 3 month after releasing the product when it took 6 month for the 2500....

Give them time & stop bitching !

ur wrong man

akai DOESN'T care about it's customers

i got the 1000

i gotta pay $180 for my pad upgrade becuz they made faulty pads?

and it's gotta be pre-ordered every 5 months becuz they only make 50 upgrades or whatever at a time so it sells out when they put it out?

that's horrible

i love the mpc that i have and i'm stuck trying to get these pads if i ever can but i will never buy another akai product again
Old 30th October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
ur wrong man

I can tell you YOU are wrong

MPC 5000 is my first MPC ...

I contacted AKAI several times for features requests & bugs reports, they listenned to me carefully.

Most bugs i reported are solved or on the way to be solved

So YES they are listenning to their customers

Quote:
I guess your MPC is not under warranty anymore .....
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

I think they definetely care!
Every time I've emailed Akai regarding my MPC-1000 they responded within hours!

I wish I could say this about other companies!...(hint: TC Electronic!)
Old 30th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomazzzi View Post

I guess your MPC is not under warranty anymore .....

when the 1000 came out i bought it, after a while everybody's pads started going bad and akai wouldn't give answers, now the new ones come with the pad fix that was FINALLY released, but people who bought the mpc when it first dropped don't get the pad fix EVEN THOUGH akai knows the pads were a manufacturing defect on thier part, and they don't answer emails on the matter

also, jj os is a million times better, they should hire the guy cuz thier OS blows

ps - learn what ur talking about before you open your shhitfaced mouth
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

akai started suckin after the 4000. the 500 is a complete toy. the 5000 is very wack. they have a synthesizer on it but who buys an mpc for a synth? is that how they made their name? NO. if they cared about their customers they wouldnt put out toys. they would put out tools!! i still use mpc's but i also have an mv-8000. thats wut akai should have come out with. except with more midi i/o. SUK IT AKAI!! (after the 4000) ROGER LINN!! WE NEED UUUUUUUUU!! (while im crying!!)
Old 30th October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
akai started suckin after the 4000. the 500 is a complete toy. the 5000 is very wack. they have a synthesizer on it but who buys an mpc for a synth? is that how they made their name? NO. if they cared about their customers they wouldnt put out toys. they would put out tools!! i still use mpc's but i also have an mv-8000. thats wut akai should have come out with. except with more midi i/o. SUK IT AKAI!! (after the 4000) ROGER LINN!! WE NEED UUUUUUUUU!! (while im crying!!)
Agreed...Everything changed after numark bought Akai....
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear
I remember when Philly started posting here, and was dropping SERIOUS knowledge all over this board. It was cool because the people who got caught up in all the attitude showed me that they just had not been in this business very long.

To be honest, if you have a guy who has made this much music and done this well sharing knowledge with you...you listen and don't take anything personal. This is the music business, not the music friendship. If you can't handle a guy like philly, you need to quit right the **** now, because let me tell you, as an artist who has had to play in some serious pressure situations, I got to that point from guys who broke my balls on the daily. And in the same day they always taught me something great that changed my musical career and helped me out. So for the many folks who get mad and argue, you just show your lack of experience in this business.

On the GC note, I produced one of his singers back in Tally, and he heard it. He said he loved my bass playing..best compliment I have ever had to this day!
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
ps - learn what ur talking about before you open your shhitfaced mouth
Learn to be polite & respect people who respect you please

I never been agressive in any way, i didn t insult you.. so please do the same, we never fed the pigs together

I was aware of those faulty pads, i know some people who had this problem with their MPC 1000, they managed to get the pads replaced ( of course the MPC was under warranty )!

So either you were as agressive as you were with me with AKAI or your local reseller either you r not a good negociator cause this was a latent defect...

But please keep cool i m not here to fight....

Quote:
akai started suckin after the 4000
" The MPC 4000 is the best MPC ever created " that s what users are saying on the MPC forums....

Quote:
who buys an mpc for a synth?
The synth is a request made from MPC users for years ...

Even if it s not the best synth ( & it s not the best synth at all, i m not really a big fan of VA ) i find it very usefull.
It s great to have an onboard synth you can tweak directly on a MPC trust me.
Also the internal Arp is very cool for both internal and external synths.

Quote:
the 500 is a complete toy
It was made to be a toy, the hollydays MPC

Anyway, despite what many people say i m very happy with the 5000 & have great fun using it for my beats.
I don t want it to replace my main sequencer in the studio, i ll always use a daw for the final mix.
But i find an MPC really fast & intuitive to begin a project. Much more fun than a vitrual instrument & software based composing.
It s also a great machine for live shows, far away better than a laptop imo..
I ll never understand all this hate about nukai cause they are very friendly with me & do care about my feedback & wishes
Old 2nd November 2008
Lives for gear

Wow..this thread is still here

If Just Blaze installed the OS update that was available for download like I did, he wouldn't have had half of the issues he wrote about. Even after I told him to update the OS, he cried about taking a few minutes out of his busy day to do that..yet he spent hours on the internet complaining. There are two places in the manual that tells you to check Akai's website for the latest OS.

I will not try to sell any of you on the MPC 5000. It is a good machine as it stands today. With a few tweaks of the OS, this machine will be amazing. If you do decide to buy an MPC 5000....join the MPC 5000 forum and share your experiences.
Old 4th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscarbones View Post
ur wrong man

i got the 1000

and it's gotta be pre-ordered every 5 months becuz they only make 50 upgrades or whatever at a time so it sells out when they put it out?

that's horrible

i love the mpc that i have and i'm stuck trying to get these pads if i ever can but i will never buy another akai product again
Where r u trying to buy ur pads from? Try here:

Akai MPC 1000 Pad Set - New Version Pad Fix Upgrade

I dunno, but i ordered mine and got them in the mail like 3 days later. That was months ago.
Old 6th November 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
Agreed...Everything changed after numark bought Akai....
I second that.thumbsup
Old 6th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMas View Post
I second that.thumbsup
Changes at Akai happened before many forum members even knew what an MPC was.

1997, Akai released the MPC 2000 which was the first MPC that didn't bare Roger Linn's signature. That was followed by a brief re-issue of the MPC 3000 dubbed the MPC 3000-LE. The MPC 2000XL was released a little later in several different colors for a few years. The MPC 2000/2000XL are probably the most popluar MPCs of all time. The MPC 4000 was released in 1992. It didn't generate too much excitement. I believe this was the start of the end for the "old" Akai. I can't remember if the MPC 1000 was designed by the "old" or "new" Akai, but this is one MPC which I didn't care for. However, when the MPC 2500 was released, I finally had something worthy enough to replace my MPC 3000 and 2000XL. It combined the best features from both legendary MPCs. Today, the MPC 5000 expands on that. So based upon what I want in an MPC, the "new" Akai got my vote and $$.
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

we need Roger Linn back!! RL RL RL!!!thumbsup
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
we need Roger Linn back!! RL RL RL!!!thumbsup
To design the hardware..yes. But not the software.
Old 10th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
This is coming from someone who was one of the SOLE CHAMPIONS of the 4000 when everyone ran out and bought them and started returning them because they just didn’t understand the machine. It was an all new design and they wouldn’t be able to pick it up and run like they did when they might have gone from the 60 to the 3000 to the 2000 and 2000xl. It was a new beast entirely and it had a bit of a learning curve, but once you got past that, there was almost nothing you couldn’t make it do. It had one or two bugs in it, but they were fairly quickly rectified, and once they were addressed, you really couldn’t find much fault with the machine. If you couldn’t use it, it was because you really didn’t want to, not because the machine was at fault.
The 5000 is NOT the successor to the 4000, and it should not be named as such. A 3500? Yes. (When it is actually fit to use) By naming this machine the 5000, you are inadvertently disrespecting YOURSELVES and what you created with the 4000.
this is the prob i have with gearlusters... not sayin Blaze is one... he has the money to get whatever the **** he wants... but if the 4000 can do whatever u can dream up, why look for anything else? ive seen this situation happen with my RS7000... steep learning curves and bugs can deter even the most dedicated users, but if u can wait for updates, usually the machine becomes a great piece of gear... now people are clamoring for the RS and discoverin the machine is a MoFo... as a matter of fact, the 5000 went the RS rout with the filter knobs and built in synth... the machine will be a great machine given time, and it will take ur music production a different direction, just like my RS, bcuz of the features that other MPCs lack... i got the RS bcuz i want my music to sound different than others, yet still Hip Hop... the 5000 will be a good machine... but if u want to sound like other mainstream pros, get the 4000, 3000, 2000... etc.

da relic
Old 12th November 2008
Lives for gear

Just Blaze wrote the he needed something smaller for his home studio. The 5K is approx 2.7 inches in width, 1.7 inch depth, 3.3 inches in height, and 5 lbs smaller/lighter than the 4K.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

"YOU CANNOT TUNE AN ENTIRE PROGRAM AT ONCE?!?!"
FIXED IN OS 2.0 AND EVEN BETTER THERE IS A NEW FEATURE TO SELECT MILTI DRUMS PADS TO EDIT ALL AT ONCE

"Get this: You can’t even PREVIEW them(SYNTH PATCHES) before you load them"
FIXED IN 2.0

"sometimes you have to delete a synth program 4 times before it actually gets erased from your RAM"
FIXED IN 2.0

"Every time you go to assign a sample to a pad, it starts at whatever is the first sample in RAM.
But hey… if you have a few hundred samples in your ram already, that means that for every pad you go to assign a sample to, you are scrolling though a few hundred sounds just to get to the one you just sampled:

FIXED IN 2.0 AND GIVEN 2 NEW OPTIONS TO FIND SOUNDS FASTER IN TRIM MODE

"Next step: Import a .PGM created in the 3rd party MPC Program Maker software
Even deader-er"

FIXED IN 2.0 AND ADDED THE ABILITY TO LOAD A ENTIRE FOLDER TO PAGS WITHOUT EVEN HAVING A PROGRAM FILE ON IT.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

MPC's used to be great. The old ones still are but the new ones... well, I've had so many issues with the MPC4000 that I ended up throwing it into storage. The MPC1000 and the 500... well, I'll just stop--no need to rant on and on.. heh

If I could change my handle to some other name than The MPCist, I would....
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagsy View Post
cant you read either man...i didnt ask nothing about awards...i asked what tracks youve produced for major artists?......if you want to big note yourself on awards at least backitup man with what projects they for!
..but you wont because its rubbish , you aint done anything......1500 gs posts since beginning of year..? your obviously super busy...

Really dude, all you're doing is making yourself out to look like a ****wit.
I'm sure deep down your a nice guy, just read what your writing before you post it.

Last edited by jude; 29th May 2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: i got a bit offensive
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

What happened to meagsy? Maybe baristas arent supposed to be on the internet during their shifts... What a dickhead!
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

haha...

big ups to psm, thanks for the music.
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry to bump up a old thread. But that fact is it comes up when you google the MPC 5000 and is helping spread old info on the MPC 5000
Everything Just Blaze ranted about was fixed and even improved on with OS2.0
Here is a video pointing out every bone Just Blaze had to pick with his early adopted MPC 5k and showing you have it was fixed and improved on.
Link: ‪Video reply to Just Blaze`s MPC 5000 rant (Video proof of everything fixed and upgraded)‬‏ - YouTube
Old 27th July 2011
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runna View Post
wow at "jay-z - song cry" at being 96 sample chops
I just don't believe that lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search