The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lo-Fi Rap Mics(MF DOOM, Dilla, Madlib Etc.) Dynamic Microphones
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Maniac

Lo-Fi Rap Mics(MF DOOM, Dilla, Madlib Etc.)

Just wondering if anybody knows what types of mics these guys(MF DOOM, Quasimoto etc.) use. I know Dre uses the Sony c800 or Neumann u87 through avalon pres. What do you suppose Madlib with his lo-fi technics uses? Sm58, Sm57? Or do you think these guys still pack some nice mics in their arsenal?
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Maniac

i think madlib uses an sm7b.

they need clean headroom, probably don't want to go for a cheaper pre than The Brick for that one.

you could definately get away with using an sm57/58

Last edited by dshay; 2nd August 2008 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: addition.
Old 2nd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by linndrum9000 View Post
Just wondering if anybody knows what types of mics these guys(MF DOOM, Quasimoto etc.) use. I know Dre uses the Sony c800 or Neumann u87 through avalon pres. What do you suppose Madlib with his lo-fi technics uses? Sm58, Sm57? Or do you think these guys still pack some nice mics in their arsenal?
There is no "lo fi " rap mike per se.
Thats usually done with certain lo fi plug ins.
You can try Speakerphone,Trash,D-Fi there are tons of them
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
There is no "lo fi " rap mike per se.
Of course, but I was just asking what the lo-fi guys use.
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshay View Post
i think madlib uses an sm7b.

they need clean headroom, probably don't want to go for a cheaper pre than The Brick for that one.

you could definately get away with using an sm57/58

Thanks. Dont want to get too fan-boy, but where did you get the sm7b info. Also do you really think that madlib would use a dedicated pre? Not saying your right or wrong, I would just figure he'd use the pres on his roland multi-track things(hmm think those have built in pres but not certain).
Old 3rd August 2008
Madlib... Sm57, SM7, or AT4033 if I remember correctly.... pre's would be mackie or VS880 straight in for the most part.

Doom... AT4033, don't know what kind of pre.

This is just what I remember....not positive though.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

As I recall, Doom was sporting an AKG C414 and a VS1680/VS1880. This was back between like, 99-03/04.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Head

I was curious what mic's they used thanks ^^
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys, I love the c414.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys, I love the c414.
Me too. It so far is the best mic I've tried for hip hop vocals. We have two at the studio and between the two different ones (LTD & XLII) I can always get a good sound.
Old 9th August 2008
that's the main beastie boys mic as well if anyone cares
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
that's the main beastie boys mic as well if anyone cares
I sure do! Is this on most of their albums. I love their distorted vox, do you know what techniques they use for songs like "whatcha want"?
Old 12th August 2008
Not sure, but it sounds like a 57/58 with distortion.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'd say their beats are more lo-fi than their vocals...some of their vocals are really clean and well done actually.

For the Jaylib album it was:

"Madlib then tracked his vocals on an Audio-Technica 4033A and a Shure SM7, from there going into a Neve 1099 preamp, a GML 8200 EQ, a Universal Audio 1176LN limiting amplifier and finally a dbx 902 De-Esser. “We usually de-ess maybe 4 dB off of the vocals and then compress with a ratio of 8 to 1, which is pretty high,” Cooley explains. “But Madlib likes his **** loud, and it's mixed loud to begin with. He has a really cool ‘angular’ mixing style: Something is always sticking out.”

MADLIB
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I'd say their beats are more lo-fi than their vocals...some of their vocals are really clean and well done actually.

"Madlib then tracked his vocals on an Audio-Technica 4033A and a Shure SM7, from there going into a Neve 1099 preamp, a GML 8200 EQ, a Universal Audio 1176LN limiting amplifier and finally a dbx 902 De-Esser. “We usually de-ess maybe 4 dB off of the vocals and then compress with a ratio of 8 to 1, which is pretty high,” Cooley explains. “But Madlib likes his **** loud, and it's mixed loud to begin with. He has a really cool ‘angular’ mixing style: Something is always sticking out.”

MADLIB
Cool can't believe I missed that article. Low end mics, high end signal chain.
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
Madlib... Sm57, SM7, or AT4033 if I remember correctly.... pre's would be mackie or VS880 straight in for the most part.

Doom... AT4033, don't know what kind of pre.

This is just what I remember....not positive though.

Quote:

"Madlib then tracked his vocals on an Audio-Technica 4033A and a Shure SM7, from there going into a Neve 1099 preamp, a GML 8200 EQ, a Universal Audio 1176LN limiting amplifier and finally a dbx 902 De-Esser. “We usually de-ess maybe 4 dB off of the vocals and then compress with a ratio of 8 to 1, which is pretty high,” Cooley explains.
Thank you again Mr. Cooley.

Kind of off subject, but are you going to be mixing the Dam Funk album? The song Sideways on PBW's album, and his remix of Baren Zen's Burn Rubber got me really excited about his heavy synth sound.
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

listen to this guy, yeloocproducer. he knows of what he speaks...
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Low end mics, high end signal chain.
Low dollar but not low-end mics...
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:

MADLIB
Sorry for the necropost. But I remember in one of J Dillas interviews (the most 'famous' one) that the whole Jaylib album was two tracked with the beats coming off a cd. Truth to that?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search