The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Is Chord Progression? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th April 2008
Gear interested

What Is Chord Progression?

I Know Some Scales And Notes. But, What Is Chord Progression.
Like Can Some People Give Me Some Written In Notes?
It Would Me Much Appreciated.
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

whoa. tutt

google is your friend buddy. we talk gear and production technique, or try to at least.

Google
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

I just realized that there should probably be a songwriting section on this site for these kind of topics but there isn't. Jules?

Sorry for the rough post before.
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop7ca View Post
You're serious? It's a progression of chords, such as C to F to G. This example of I IV V (one, four, five) ... is the most basic progression in western music. Build and resolve, interwoven leading tones, harmony ... there's a whole world out there beyond beats and hooks.

Chord progression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Simple Answer....

(A Chord Progression)A group of chords that define a section of music, in Hip Hop generally a repeating 2 to 4 bar progression, in RnB can also be the same, but in traditional RnB you can also have different progressions that define verse's ,pre chorus's, chorus's and bridges(middle8's)...etc

You should study RnB and Hip Hop producers from Babyface,Rodney Jerkins,Teddy Riley to Timbaland and Neptunes, all have a different take on how they hear chords and progressions ....

Certain sets of chords can set up the mood and feel, an Amin(A-C-E) to E(E-G#-B) will give you a Spanish type sound which can also crossover to a Middle Eastern type sound depending on the lines that accompany the progression ....

You should listen,learn,try things and learn to associate certain progressions with a certain sound ....Example - Cmaj7,B7#5,Emin11,Dmin7,G9 will give you an old RnB type sound used quite often in New Jack Swing, think Christopher Williams, anybody remember him ?

IMO i do not see anything wrong with including these types of disscusions to help Hip Hop producers who come from a more beat oriented backround expand their horizons...

This is a very short summation to a very long answer and i hope it goes someway in helping you understand what a chord progression is and how it can further your production ....
Old 15th April 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Simple Answer....

(A Chord Progression)A group of chords that define a section of music, in Hip Hop generally a repeating 2 to 4 bar progression, in RnB can also be the same, but in traditional RnB you can also have different progressions that define verse's ,pre chorus's, chorus's and bridges(middle8's)...etc

You should study RnB and Hip Hop producers from Babyface,Rodney Jerkins,Teddy Riley to Timbaland and Neptunes, all have a different take on how they hear chords and progressions ....

Certain sets of chords can set up the mood and feel, an Amin(A-C-E) to E(E-G#-B) will give you a Spanish type sound which can also crossover to a Middle Eastern type sound depending on the lines that accompany the progression ....

You should listen,learn,try things and learn to associate certain progressions with a certain sound ....Example - Cmaj7,B7#5,Emin11,Dmin7,G9 will give you an old RnB type sound used quite often in New Jack Swing, think Christopher Williams, anybody remember him ?

IMO i do not see anything wrong with including these types of disscusions to help Hip Hop producers who come from a more beat oriented backround expand their horizons...

This is a very short summation to a very long answer and i hope it goes someway in helping you understand what a chord progression is and how it can further your production ....
Thank You Very Much
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Simple Answer....

that chord progression is poppin . I made a beat last night with i lol. I changed the last 2 chords to round it out in the second 4 bars. thnx . any other genre specific progressions ?
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
are you serious??
you shouldnt be in this biz if you dont know wha a chord progression is.
is this what its coming to ,I ask??
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

some tips for guitar.
sorry if its not 100% on target with your exact question.
Not sure why peeps are harshing on you lol..

This might have ~ZERO~ to do with hip hop but its easy and good to know.

major chords are constructed :root note, 4 note gap (major third), 3 note gap (minor third)
minor chords are """"""""""""" :root note, 3 note gap (minor third), 4 note gap (major third)
diminished chords"""""""""""" : root note, 3 note gap (minor third), 3 note gap (minor third)
augmented chords"""""""""" : root note, 4 note gap (major third), 4 not gap (major third)

which is fine as theory goes but wont get you that far.

Learn the 12 major scales :

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

C D E F G A B

C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

D E F# G A B C#

Eb F G Ab Bb C D

F G A Bb C D E

F# G# A# B C# D# E#

G A B C D E F#

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G

A B C# D# E F# G#

Bb C D Eb F G A

B C# D# E F# G# A#

NOW CHORD CONSTRUCTION IS EASY:

Major 1 3 5

Minor 1 b3 5

Dim 1 b3 b5

Aug 1 3 #5

And the extensions also become super easy

Major 7 : 1 3 5 7
Major 9 : 1 3 5 7 9
Major 11 : 1 3 5 7 9 11
Major 7#11 : 1 3 5 7 #11 (#4)

Dominant 7th : 1 3 5 b7
Dominant 9th : 1 3 5 b7 9

Minor major 7 : 1 b3 5 7
Minor 7th : 1 b3 5 b7
Minor 9th : 1 b3 5 b7 9
minor 7b5 : 1 b3 b5 b7

All of the above a chords are diatonic to major scales except the Minor major7, which is derived from both Harmonic and melodic minor, but appears in a lot of popular music. The root note in a minor, often likes to be approached or resolved from a semitone below.

Make your own chart for this, everybody will want to see it differently.

Edit> Forgot 2 very important chords! Added 9, ( +9), and suspended 4ths

In both cases you drop the 3rd and replace it with either the 4th or the 2nd (9).

Sus 4 : 1 4 5................7sus4's are also very common : 1 5 b7 11.........1 4 5 b7
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Will View Post
that chord progression is poppin . I made a beat last night with i lol. I changed the last 2 chords to round it out in the second 4 bars. thnx . any other genre specific progressions ?
Leave the money on the table before you go heh

First 3 chords are a bar each and the last 2 chords Dm7 to G9 is a 1 bar turnaround to get back to Cmaj7, which makes it a 4 bar progression all up, you can substitute the last 2 chords for Dm11 to Db7#11 which will give you a jazzy sound, this turnaround outside of Jazz was often used by Babyface ....
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
are you serious??
you shouldnt be in this biz if you dont know wha a chord progression is.
is this what its coming to ,I ask??
Maybe he is not in the Biz but learning to become a part of the Biz but his journey as a lot of guys started with a bit of software to create beats, now he wants to know more ! Maybe you can give him some inspiration and point him in the right direction Philly
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe he is not in the Biz but learning to become a part of the Biz but his journey as a lot of guys started with a bit of software to create beats, now he wants to know more ! Maybe you can give him some inspiration and point him in the right direction Philly
That's what I've been thinking.

The dude is somewhat naieve, he wants something that will get him to the finish line (and before you get into the learning process you believe the finishline can be had without the work. Hell when I finished highschool, I thought I was done for life. There was no way I'd go to college/grad school/ and a PhD. But you learn as you mature the beauty of mastering something.) BUT he's very respectful and he is appreciative of any help that he gets. I remember wanting shortcuts too. I say if you are gonna knock him, go right ahead clown him a bit BUT give the dude some tips. Clown enough to make him realize there are no shortcuts but give him something that he can use. Once he constantly gets enough stuff he can use, he'll end up learning the major/minor scales, triads and 7 chords. From there he'll be coming up with his own progressions and helping someone else. So the circle continues.

Nate
Dude you need to buy that piano book. It teaches all the basic music theory you'll need to get where you want to go. I promise you in less than one year of work you'll (if you do it an hour or so a day) be MUCH doper than you thought was possible
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
That's what I've been thinking.

The dude is somewhat naieve, he wants something that will get him to the finish line (and before you get into the learning process you believe the finishline can be had without the work. Hell when I finished highschool, I thought I was done for life. There was no way I'd go to college/grad school/ and a PhD. But you learn as you mature the beauty of mastering something.) BUT he's very respectful and he is appreciative of any help that he gets. I remember wanting shortcuts too. I say if you are gonna knock him, go right ahead clown him a bit BUT give the dude some tips. Clown enough to make him realize there are no shortcuts but give him something that he can use. Once he constantly gets enough stuff he can use, he'll end up learning the major/minor scales, triads and 7 chords. From there he'll be coming up with his own progressions and helping someone else. So the circle continues.

Nate
Dude you need to buy that piano book. It teaches all the basic music theory you'll need to get where you want to go. I promise you in less than one year of work you'll (if you do it an hour or so a day) be MUCH doper than you thought was possible
Nicely put
Old 16th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
some tips for guitar.
sorry if its not 100% on target with your exact question.
Not sure why peeps are harshing on you lol..

This might have ~ZERO~ to do with hip hop but its easy and good to know.

That was very cool of you to offer so much thought-out information.
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Nate, how old are you?
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

i understand the concept of progression but...
what is a chord?
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
i understand the concept of progression but...
what is a chord?
No offense, but you might want to practice saying "Would you like fries with that".

(Unless you're joking, otherwise PLEASE don't tell me you "produce" music.)
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
No offense, but you might want to practice saying "Would you like fries with that".

loooooooolheh
Old 17th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Nate, how old are you?
I'm 21 years old
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm 21 years old
Are you willing to put in at least an hour or two a day learning music if it will make you doper at what you're doing?
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

o wow heh a serious reply...
i was joking ofcourse.

but... i don't produce, i make beats.
Old 17th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Are you willing to put in at least an hour or two a day learning music if it will make you doper at what you're doing?

Of course !!! everytime im awake im trying to learn music in order to make me a doper producer.

I'm super focused and I'm a sponge too
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Head

Hey Great Question...

A good thing to do is suss out all your favorite tracks and try and figure out what the chords are...

Start with the bass notes and then try and figure out the other notes that make up the chords....

for some big fun. now though.. explore min9 chords.

this is 1 b3 5 b7 9.
or spelled out in key of C = C Eb G Bb D.

a good voicing (way to arrange these notes) on the keyboard
1 b7 b3 5 9

or C Bb Eb G D (C2,Bb2, Eb3, G3, D3)

The numbers refer to which octave your playing in. C3 is what is known as middle C. (in logic when you play an note in midi it tells you which one you are using in the transport window)

Now if you sample this chord and move it around chromatically to form a chord progression you will surely be having a good time!

eg.... Amin9, F#min9, Gmin9, Gmin9 repeat....

that is the sound of 90's hip hop and for that matter 80's 90's dance music...

If you have got the time and patience [/h1]
mark levine Jazz theory Book - it is really big but if you hang in there it will serve you well for the rest of your life....

study this stuff enough and then go check out a stevie wonder tune = eddie murphy is right - the man is a musical genius.... check out his chord progressions - he pioneered so much of what is current in popular music harmony...

Great to see someone interested in digging deeper... don't worry bout the guy who bagged ya for not knowing this stuff.... it will make more and more sense as you go...

peace

Last edited by spacecho; 14th July 2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: resized for some reason?
Old 14th July 2008
Gear maniac

Damn don't flame the guy, at least he's asking, obviously has a desire to learn.

I'd reccomend taking a basic piano and/or fundamentals of music class at your local community college. That will put you on the right track.
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course !!! everytime im awake im trying to learn music in order to make me a doper producer.

I'm super focused and I'm a sponge too
there is too much to music to learn it here from a couple of clever posts. is there a community college nearby where you can take some music theory? there are many books too - from simple to advanced.
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
I just realized that there should probably be a songwriting section on this site for these kind of topics but there isn't. Jules?

Sorry for the rough post before.
Like a music theory section, for composers and stuff that will be great, but as some fellow GS brethern would say "Head to Future Producers", they have a theory section there
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecho View Post
Hey Great Question...

A good thing to do is suss out all your favorite tracks and try and figure out what the chords are...

Start with the bass notes and then try and figure out the other notes that make up the chords....
First he has to be proficient on some instrument. Then he has to be born with a good ear or practice enough to develop a good ear. Even then he still has to know what a chord is, how to play it, how it sounds... before trying to figure it out from a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecho View Post
for some big fun. now though.. explore min9 chords.

this is 1 b3 5 b7 9.
or spelled out in key of C = C Eb G Bb D.

a good voicing (way to arrange these notes) on the keyboard
1 b7 b3 5 9

or C Bb Eb G D (C2,Bb2, Eb3, G3, D3)

The numbers refer to which octave your playing in. C3 is what is known as middle C. (in logic when you play an note in midi it tells you which one you are using in the transport window)

Now if you sample this chord and move it around chromatically to form a chord progression you will surely be having a good time!

eg.... Amin9, F#min9, Gmin9, Gmin9 repeat....

that is the sound of 90's hip hop and for that matter 80's 90's dance music...

If you have got the time and patience [/h1]
mark levine Jazz theory Book - it is really big but if you hang in there it will serve you well for the rest of your life....

study this stuff enough and then go check out a stevie wonder tune = eddie murphy is right - the man is a musical genius.... check out his chord progressions - he pioneered so much of what is current in popular music harmony...

Great to see someone interested in digging deeper... don't worry bout the guy who bagged ya for not knowing this stuff.... it will make more and more sense as you go...

peace

Right. a guy who doesn't even know what a chord is, and you are commending jazz chords? Try starting with folk songs from school, and graduate up to the Beatles or other pop songs. You can search for "tabs" - there are many sites on the web, and then look up popular songs from all kinds of artists, and get the chords from those.
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Guru

Is "doper" a word now?

The OP was in the 9th grade BTW ...
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search