The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avalon 737 vs UA LA-610
Old 28th February 2008
Here for the gear

Avalon 737 vs UA LA-610

I'm looking around for a nice Mic Pre That I can use for my setup. I am mainly planning to record hip-hop and r&b vocals. I am wondering if the Avalon 737 or the Universal Audio LA-610 would be better for my needs. I also contemplating getting both units. I currently have a Digi 003 (planning to get that BLA modded) as part of my setup. What would you think would be better.
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

sigh... i would stay away from the 610 pres
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

i'd go for the 737.

why? i think its an overall smoother sound. but can get agressive if you like. i have 3.
Old 29th February 2008
What's made you narrow it down to just those two options? There's a whole lotta stuff that's better-sounding than the LA610 and cheaper and more interesting-sounding than the 737.

You might wanna explore a bit further.
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
sigh... i would stay away from the 610 pres
i love my LA610; it's really amazing but as i always say, it's not a versatile preamp at all so it doesn't get a lot of use...

i'd only go for a tube pre if i had a nice clean pre first...you can't go wrong with a neutral pre, you can with a flavoured pre imo
Old 29th February 2008
Gear Addict

I would go with the UA 6176, much more versatile, but is worth the money.
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
i love my LA610; it's really amazing but as i always say, it's not a versatile preamp at all so it doesn't get a lot of use...

i'd only go for a tube pre if i had a nice clean pre first...you can't go wrong with a neutral pre, you can with a flavoured pre imo
^^^best advise
Old 29th February 2008
Quote:

This is, indeed, good advice. And I'd say the Avalon falls quite squarely into the "clean pre" category. Maybe that's your best bet.
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

I've used both, I would never choose a 737 over the 610. The compressor alone is so much better on the La 610. The Mic pres are better too IMHO.

AND the 737 is so overpriced.
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

I use a 737 but i also like great river mp2nv and summit mpc 100a for more grit.
Old 1st March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
I've used both, I would never choose a 737 over the 610. The compressor alone is so much better on the La 610. The Mic pres are better too IMHO.

AND the 737 is so overpriced.
I recently saw someone say "vive le difference!" here on GS in response to an argument against his taste in microphones...this'd be a case where I'd hafta agree with that sentiment. I personally find the LA610's compressor almost totally useless, and not nearly fast enough for rap vocal tracking (sung R&B would work OK).

The 737's comp, however, while not the most exciting-sounding comp ever, is quite usable and does what it needs to cleanly, transparently, and effectively.

I do agree with you about its being over-priced, though.
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

FWIW, I sold my LA610 for a 737 a few years back and have no regrets at all.

(Search the archives, as I posted the same question.)

Truth is both are decent pres and you can make great music with either. Don't sweat the decision.
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

i'm sure it's hard to decide when people are pulling in both directions but objectively the 737 is cleaner where i found the 610 to be really noisy which i don't think you want. Now You can always add noise later if you want so i would chose the 737.... but i wouldn't chose that pre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's over priced and i know it looks looks cool and your getting an eq and compressor but man start with a good pre first. Good Luck
Old 1st March 2008
I know this thread is pretty specific................

But I might also recommend the Sebatron Thorax,

Its a pretty amazing channel strip for the dough,

Just thought I would throw it out there, as I have found the Sebatron stuff to be a super clear hybrid of the above pre amps and then some. I think you may find it to have more color/character from the 737's neutrality, and MUCH more clarity and depth than the UA 610.
Old 1st March 2008
Here for the gear

I've been looking at the replies and been reading good points. I'm planning to get my Digi 003 modified and use that as the preamp. I can go with the factory spec 003 pres for now, but I am looking for a dedicated mic pre as well. Other choices outside of the LA-610 and the 737 I would consider. I've heard good, bad & mixed reviews about both the LA610 and the 737. I'm in the process of getting my ultimate semi-pro home setup together.
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very good recommendation. Especially for anyone looking for just one goto pre. IMO its more worth it to get a solid state pre and look into getting a tube mic, as far as recording vocals are concerned.
Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

if you like the avalon brand (and they are very good quality), check this out

Avalon M5 | Sweetwater.com
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

It's all good, my ears must be really strange, nobody likes anything I like on GS.
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Love the UA pre! I do'nt find it noisy at all. Great on vocals, but it seems to have that love hate thing, either people love it, or hate it, strangly enough. I love it!!

the Avalon is nice to, I think I would still choose the UA over that however, I like character.
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

I like them both. Make sure to get the 737 modded for a faster attack on the comp - world of difference when it come to vocals. Avalon makes some killer gear IMO. I love the 747 which is one deep machine that isn't messing around when it comes to headroom.

If I was just buying one though I'd probably get that LA610. The pre is really big and open sounding. Tons of character and the tone controls along with the impedence settings really give you a ton of sonic options. The comp is sweet sounding. It can deliever a hard crunch or a subtle fluffy type sound but both are very sweet and inviting. It's so good for running a bass drum into the line input and tweaking or running a mono subgroup on the bass track in a mix. Great harmonics, hugeness and character for lowend stuff. Absolutely no slouch on vocals, synth, guitar or whatever. It's great at keeping highs soft but still loud and clear. Great at getting rid of obnoxious "digital" sounding crap.

Try them out - get a dealer to send you both on the condition that you buy one - if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown P View Post
I'm looking around for a nice Mic Pre That I can use for my setup. I am mainly planning to record hip-hop and r&b vocals. I am wondering if the Avalon 737 or the Universal Audio LA-610 would be better for my needs. I also contemplating getting both units. I currently have a Digi 003 (planning to get that BLA modded) as part of my setup. What would you think would be better.
Old 25th April 2008
Here for the gear

If you are doing Hip Hop and R&B and stack alot of tracks get the 737. The unit is clean and very transparent, try 50 tracks fo vocals with an LA 610. Sned the 737 to Avalon for the Babyface mod and the comp becomes very useable.
Old 25th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Love the UA pre! I do'nt find it noisy at all. Great on vocals, but it seems to have that love hate thing, either people love it, or hate it, strangly enough. I love it!!

the Avalon is nice to, I think I would still choose the UA over that however, I like character.
i agree, not noisy and is really a good pre. i think the issue here is first impressions with a particular source.

i bought the LA610 as my high end pre and tried it on my main vocalist and it didn't work at all! i was so disappointed but it was at that point i learnt a very valuable lesson.
since then though i use it exclusively for bass, guitar tracking and for low vocals. was it nat king cole that used to record through the 610 pres? well it makes sense since it really brings voices like that to life. for aggressive or piercing vocals i find it add a bit too much harshness to the signal
Old 25th April 2008
Using the La-610 as my main pre for the last 2 years i made the following oberservations: If you are using the LA-610 as vocal micpre, try turning the input gain down to - 5 or -10! Smooth and clean sounds; get the level back up later in the unit. But turning the two "big" gain knobs past "7" will introduce too much noise on the signal.

Getting an old Tab/Telefunken pre racked up, for a more transparent sound though
Old 26th April 2008
Here for the gear

I'm happy with my 737... i think its a fantastic box! Although you probably can't really go wrong with either option
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
i agree, not noisy and is really a good pre. i think the issue here is first impressions with a particular source.

i bought the LA610 as my high end pre and tried it on my main vocalist and it didn't work at all! i was so disappointed but it was at that point i learnt a very valuable lesson.
since then though i use it exclusively for bass, guitar tracking and for low vocals. was it nat king cole that used to record through the 610 pres? well it makes sense since it really brings voices like that to life. for aggressive or piercing vocals i find it add a bit too much harshness to the signal
Yeah Nat King... other notables include Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, and the rest of the rat pack... Etta James as well...

Also I'd have to agree with the previous post which endorsed the 6176... much more versatile!
Old 27th April 2008
Deleted User
has anyone put the 737 up against the Presonus ADL 600? I've been debating between the two.

A friend told me the ADL sounds better to him, but that he never uses it because the majority of the artists he works with request that the avalon 737 is used in their vocal chain.
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

hey man i was wondering which would be a better pre amp/ compressor amd everyone is saying the avalon is best, but i hear so much talk about the Universal Audio stuff its hard to decide, So i would say go with what u feel best, because everyone here has their ears and taste for certain hardware, go to your local music store to test out the different equipment......I go to Guitar center to test out things all the time, i just tested a Manley Vox Box, and you talk about versitile
Old 1st May 2008
Gear Head

Though these folks have probably made your mind up for you...I think there's much better pre out there for less money. The avalon 737 can be good for "bling value" ...I've freelanced in studios where the artists insisted on it over mellinia, neve 1272, manley vox box....go figure. I just never really cared for it.

Another crucial part that I dont think anyone has really addressed is what kind of mic are you using? Are you planning on sticking with that, or upgrading soon? I personally am not a fan of the U87/737 on VOCALS (other things its cool...) I like a nice tube thru a chandler...or even a 414 thru a la610 over it anyday (and so do most of my clients who use their ears for listening instead of their eyes)

...Might wanna check out great river...I just bought a console, but that will be my next purchase once i recoop, there's a guy in town doing a ton of hip-hop using the u87/gr combo and has now switched to the sE Z5600a/gr combo and it sounds amazing.

Might wanna check out a dealer with an awesome return policy or demo units...its really a feel thing. I had a client in the other day who owns a u87 and does his own tracking and just wanted to a/b all of my pres with his mic.
Old 1st May 2008
Gear Addict

i love my 610 on a lot of sources it all depends on what flavor you want and what feel you want to achieve but for my money i would go with a PACIFICA!!!
Old 3rd May 2008
Here for the gear

CO-SIGN TO THE "Avalon M5"! I think you would do better with that and the dbx160. I dont like the UA pre on most rap vox.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search