The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avalon 737 vs UA LA-610
Old 2nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
sigh... i would stay away from the 610 pres
Why is that? I've used the pres on the 610 quite a few times. And for some applications, I preferred it to my SCA N72.

I never understood all the 610 bashing here. Either my ears aren't worth a ****, or those bashing the pre either haven't used it, or don't know how to use it. Is it the best pre out there? No, but for some applications it's better than most.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents.
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTone View Post
Why is that? I've used the pres on the 610 quite a few times. And for some applications, I preferred it to my SCA N72.

I never understood all the 610 bashing here. Either my ears aren't worth a ****, or those bashing the pre either haven't used it, or don't know how to use it. Is it the best pre out there? No, but for some applications it's better than most.

I like the pre on the 610 a lot. I got new tubes in mine that sound much cleaner, and I can still push the level to get it colored. It works a lot for me. I don't understand the bashing either.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
sigh... i would stay away from the 610 pres
I hate when people give these responses, then don't add reasons for their opinions. lame
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
What's made you narrow it down to just those two options? There's a whole lotta stuff that's better-sounding than the LA610 and cheaper and more interesting-sounding than the 737.

You might wanna explore a bit further.
Okay so name a few.... LOL
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
It's all good, my ears must be really strange, nobody likes anything I like on GS.
That means you have good taste
Old 24th March 2017
Here for the gear

I was wondering since the avalon always gets praises for its mic pres can anyone recommend a good analog mixer that I can get that has mic pres like the avalon?
Old 16th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTone View Post

old thread but Ive been reading and grabbed a LA610.

theres several recordings with vocals done through a 610 in the Billboard at the moment....so those sound pretty great and kind of proves the preamp is not the issue.
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Maniac

They’re both excellent pres. The UA has been around for a while and the Avalon sees a lot of use in hip hop. Good luck with your pick.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Nut
The 610 is a great preamp, change out the stock tubes or, maybe forget the 610 and the 737, and get yourself a good sounding 1073, maybe, a BAE. If, you're doing hip hop/rap, some of the best rappers use the NPNG NW, which is super clean, and very fast, great transient response, definitely not cheap.
Old 1st September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by danasti View Post
I like them both. Make sure to get the 737 modded for a faster attack on the comp - world of difference when it come to vocals. Avalon makes some killer gear IMO. I love the 747 which is one deep machine that isn't messing around when it comes to headroom.

If I was just buying one though I'd probably get that LA610. The pre is really big and open sounding. Tons of character and the tone controls along with the impedence settings really give you a ton of sonic options. The comp is sweet sounding. It can deliever a hard crunch or a subtle fluffy type sound but both are very sweet and inviting. It's so good for running a bass drum into the line input and tweaking or running a mono subgroup on the bass track in a mix. Great harmonics, hugeness and character for lowend stuff. Absolutely no slouch on vocals, synth, guitar or whatever. It's great at keeping highs soft but still loud and clear. Great at getting rid of obnoxious "digital" sounding crap.

Try them out - get a dealer to send you both on the condition that you buy one - if possible.
i have a stereo large condensor mic would you say the avalon 747 is my best bet ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search