The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting to that next level of production.. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

Getting to that next level of production..

Hey guys,

you ever feel stagnant when making your beats and feel like you haven't made anything hot in weeks... I m hoping to make a real splash in the 08 and right now Im just not diggin anything im making right now. THen i go and listen to some production of records coming out and they are blowing my mind. Im like how do i get to that level. Better songwriters, more sounds, how......

Any advice?

Two songs that have been making me feel low about my production are "Industry " by R.Kelly and "Rain" by Dear Jayne

any advice guys?
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

same here.

I play classical guitar as my main instrument so when im not doing good in the computer i go practice and brings up good ideas. as getting inspired by something u then get motivated for something else.

good thing is to practice keyboards and learn different scales and from those scales or chord changes u can come up with cool melodies.

or u can just grab the tracks u like and copy them exactly... transcribe them.

"good composers borrow, great composers steal" is the ol saying. imitate exactly the songs u like, and from the expericene you will get what u like and use it in your productions.

another saying that my exboss used to say ( he already won tons of grammys)..

if your tune sounds like something else on the radio but u cant pin point what, or a mix of stuff but not exactly like anyone then u have a hit. if it sounds just like R kelly or whomever whatever then it sucks.

how many times your friends tried to sell u on a new band and he says, it sounds like so and so but with a mix of so and so... but its new.

if u wanna practice sound design then record your name and from that recording, and that recording only make a beat that sounds radio friendly. the idea is to DSP the shiiiit out of your name, so u create a kickdrum, snare, bass, keys etc etc and arrangement. limits enhance your imagination.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

i would do some collaborations with other producers.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

yea sounds good. I may start practicing some new scales or something on the keyboard. I really dislike the production im doing right now. Either I need new drums or something or new sounds.... But the sounds i have just take too long for me to make them sound good to me. I dunno maybe i need to invest in a big 3 keyboard or something because im getting tired of vsts........
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

To get to the next level, it means you have to do something you havent done before that can be considered progress in comparison to what you are doing right now. So yes working on your keyboard skills some more can improve your music making ability, but that is only one small way, and will only really boost you up in a very small way as well.

You dont need new sounds, unless you are still fiddling around with stock sounds, and maybe a small few extra samples you bought. What you need is a new perspective. You need to start seeing and approaching the music you make in a new way. You have basically outgrown your current status, and your emotions are telling you that what you are doing isn't cutting it for where it feels you should be heading with your work. The bright side to this is that these are good signs, as it is a display of growth.

Lol..... Don't knock VSTIs either, unless you have enough channels of high end A/D conversion to hook some keyboards up to. VSTIs can be a real money saver, and the best of them sound great enough to be used on hit records. The answer is not in blaming things on a lack of drum samples or VSTIs. The answer could lay within the fact that you have probably outgrown working BY YOURSELF.

Think about that for a sec..... Take a look at and do some research on some of your favourite producers of all time. I doubt that any of them work exclusively by themselves. Some producers have seperate musicians contributing melodies, or playing the ideals of that producer. Some have their engineering partner(s) at the helm working to carve out a great sound, thus allowing the producer to concentrate more on the playing aspect, more than tweaking and processing instruments. The point here being that more heads are better than one.

I tip my hat off to anyone who has been able to create certified hit beats all on their own in their studio by themselves with no other human contact. Its very hard to turn out beat after beat on your own with out anybody around you to inspire you, or some one to contribute ideals to your vision. As well not everybody is good at everything, so while you might have this vision in your head of what you want, you might not always know exactly how to get there, and maybe someone else out there could be better for that job, and you could team up with them for that purpose.

Find a way to freshen up how you do your work....this does not require the buying of more drum sounds, or keyboards, instead find someone else who you can rely on who would have a different perspective of how to use those same drum samples and VSTIs.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

Im tryna get to that next level as well...I mean I do this for a hobby but still I wanna get to that next level...I mean why not push yourself to always do better than yesterday...The only easy day was yesterday and I feel that anyoe can be better at anything so ima keep motivating myself to become better than the day before...I mean I know its crazy to be complacent and not wanna change or progress forward...SO HERE I AM DIRECTING MY LIFE TOWARDS THE TOP...AND I AINT CUTTIN THE LINES TO GET THERE...IM JUST MOVING AT A FASTER PACE!

CHECK ME OUT ON MYSPACE I GOT SOME NEW HEAT UP THERE!
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

where I am..

right now, I am working in a project aimed at Brazil. I made it up. I don't have clients now . I lived of music production in brazil for 7 years out of Sao paulo. Anyway. I finally moved out of reason to logic 8 which was a relieve sound wise. Got some extra sound libraries, all suggestions picked up here at GS. Ears and mind open, and trying to force myself into new challenges like: make a track with no more then 4 midi tracks. If it does not groove then it will not groove when you have 30. Other challenge : don't giving in a sound that does not cut it. I admit I got a 1 year no interest credit card, and if I don't have a sound and I find something like it I get it. LIke this I got 808, and 909 goldbaby sounds, carnival drums, predator, SID...I miss a sounds I buy it. I am a firm VST believer, I don;t think that an analog setup will save anyone! Ideas will "save" people. I also buy music as I never did before, and I don;t byuy almost anything outside the scope I am aiming at. Today I feel like any sounds that I need beside specific ones, are the ones I will come up with. I also record my own did some awesome hihat, claps and cowbell samples, sounds that sound better then average and unique.
I am not there yet, but boy I am getting closer. I am not a hardcore hip-hop guys, i am into hiphop/pop radio stuff.

I am 32 and figured, if I don;t rush now and make my run, I probably never will.
I am married and already have a kid, I better try as hard as I can now.

All in a year and a half: I worked as a valet in boston's north end, got out of debt, went with my wife to school waiting with him in the car so she could breastfeed the little guy, paid for freaking diapers plus the fact that my wife could not work, tried to start a income tax return service( I worked in a income tax office b4 valet), and did some work with a very talented friend who is twroing his talent away because is scared of trying. From that I learned , in dispite of berklee college of music, to call boston" the little science town ". Unfair? whatever ! That is my experience. I also plan to move in a year or so, not sure where to. As soon as I could, got a music job at a church buiding a studio that never came thru, but I am allowed to use the mics I bought for the studio really cool stuff, now I manage the worship team there, the church is in bad financial times and I got my pay cut to half, worked for a painting company took estimating construction classes, when that went down I was like, forget it! I will make my run ! While it was good I migrated to the macbook I gave my wife for christmas, got a pair os 512, logic and right now I feel that it's all on me. I have what I need to express myself.
Whatever happens happens but I won't undermine myself with mediocre stuff anymore. Prioritize !
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Ironically, I get the most amazing musical ideas when I'm no where near my computer. I'll be on the subway, and thinking up an amazing 5 track beat... clenching my teeth as the bass drum, waving the fist as rhythm LOL. I look crazy when I'm in some mind beat!

But when i get home and sit down, it's completely different. I've come to realize that the most creative, natural and unique ideas come when I'm not expecting it or forcing it.

I'm getting a portable recorder for those stagnant times. 1000s of beats lost in my mind, that just aren't always available when i sit down with the intention to make a hot track.

tried to keep that relevant as possible, i guess.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Ironically, I get the most amazing musical ideas when I'm no where near my computer. I'll be on the subway, and thinking up an amazing 5 track beat... clenching my teeth as the bass drum, waving the fist as rhythm LOL. I look crazy when I'm in some mind beat!

But when i get home and sit down, it's completely different. I've come to realize that the most creative, natural and unique ideas come when I'm not expecting it or forcing it.

I'm getting a portable recorder for those stagnant times. 1000s of beats lost in my mind, that just aren't always available when i sit down with the intention to make a hot track.

tried to keep that relevant as possible, i guess.
Same here dude. I come up with some of the craziest ideals when I am away from the keyboard. Then when I finally come back and prep myself to throw down a hardcopy of the ideal, it slips away, and I end up making something else lol.

For reasons like that, Im trying to figure out a really good mobile rig solution. I chose Miko as one of my first ideals, but it seems that the Miko would find more time staying at the studio than actually travelling around anywhere. If only there was something smaller than a Miko that could do almost the same thing.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

yo

learn how to play instruments.

I have been taking guitar lessions, piano lessions, even picked up some peices to a drum kits to mic some actual sounds insted of only using sounds in your mpc or sampler.

study your homework. Get on google and research things like eq.
Get some studio time and study with a actual engineer. only take it serious. if you plan on making a real splash you will have to over exceed your normal limit of advancment ten fold.

I would start with school. If you are serious that is.

look fellas. it seems like alot of cats think they have what it takes to make it and blah blah blah.

if you look at the percentage of those that blow up oppose to making a career outa what they love it is very very small. probably about 3 or 4 percent blow up larger than life. and not because they are that good ,because alot of people are that good, but they created opertunities for themselves that allowed them to make the advancments they make.

Stop trying to make it and just study the art. Personalize it. really grasp the concept. keep moving foward and invest alot of money, not just on gear but on your education. then begin thinking with some common sense and if you are as good as you think you are then doors will open as you create oppertunities for your self. If you go another year with out making the splash you want to maybe it is time to ask your self if you ever will. Maybe you need to switch it up a little or retire and work a 9 to 5.

our industry is over crowded any way with young minds that think it is so easy to make a beat on fl and some how become the next storch

pick a favorite artist of yours and research they're life. read there biography. see what steps they took to success, now pick another and you will see what both have in common. then start walking down that road. I know for a fact that no one made it from home making beats with out some one around them opening up a door, so unless ourfriend is the next jay z or russel simmons then your beat. you have to do your homework otherwise you will remain on gearsluts forever asking the same dumb questions every week about how to get your drums like dre's

dont be lame. be modivated
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Same here dude. I come up with some of the craziest ideals when I am away from the keyboard. Then when I finally come back and prep myself to throw down a hardcopy of the ideal, it slips away, and I end up making something else lol.

For reasons like that, Im trying to figure out a really good mobile rig solution. I chose Miko as one of my first ideals, but it seems that the Miko would find more time staying at the studio than actually travelling around anywhere. If only there was something smaller than a Miko that could do almost the same thing.
The thing is... Miko is great and all, but a device has to be simple, otherwise you still won't take the time to record on the fly! For every step away from what you have in your head (setting this and that up, plugging this USB here, choose this sound, that preset, change this...) your another step further from your natural concept! You'll also be influenced by too many options on a complex recording device.

I was thinking of something raw where I can just hit record... get one pass, record again... get another pass on top, so on 4 tracks would be fine. Just by humming and tapping. I could be in the KFC bathroom to do this. Then I'd go home and translate it. The sounds in my mind aren't particular instruments, they're just grooves and chord progressions.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear nut

To everyone looking for a good mobile recording thingy for your "on-location ideas": use the video-camera function of your cell phone! It is so easy to use, always available and usually has tons of storage space. It also allows you to see how you played certain things, if you play an instrument away from the studio (like the acoustic guitar you keep at your girl's place) ...

I got tons of videos of me driving in my car singing melodies and all of them look like **** and sound like ****. But a considerable number of them have already been turned into tracks.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

A lot of people focus on making more beats like something magical happens once you have 100 medium-good beats on your computer.

I don't care if I do one beat in the rest of my life--as long as it flips the script. If I'm not feeling it, I usually don't force it.

Seek inspiration in the rest of your life--this doesn't get talked about much on the hip-hop side of things, but take a walk, write in a journal, sit around and try to imagine what beats will be like in 2024, learn how to walk on your hands.

Or--watch the movie Rockers, listen to the sound of the subway going by, go see the largest body of water you can find.

There is a time and a season for everything, and winter is often a time of rest and rebuilding. Don't fear low productivity--embrace it. Recharge and suck up new inspiration.

Salvador Dali--the painter--would sit in front of a blank canvas until he was so ready to start painting that he could barely stand it.

And then, just when he couldn't handle it any more--and when he knew exactly what he wanted to do and where everything was going to go--he'd give up and go to sleep.

He said that while he slept, his unconscious mind figured out the hardest details at a level that his conscious mind could never have achieved.

When he woke up, he was ready to rock.

Have fun.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
learn how to play instruments.

I have been taking guitar lessions, piano lessions, even picked up some peices to a drum kits to mic some actual sounds insted of only using sounds in your mpc or sampler.

study your homework. Get on google and research things like eq.
Get some studio time and study with a actual engineer. only take it serious. if you plan on making a real splash you will have to over exceed your normal limit of advancment ten fold.

I would start with school. If you are serious that is.

look fellas. it seems like alot of cats think they have what it takes to make it and blah blah blah.

if you look at the percentage of those that blow up oppose to making a career outa what they love it is very very small. probably about 3 or 4 percent blow up larger than life. and not because they are that good ,because alot of people are that good, but they created opertunities for themselves that allowed them to make the advancments they make.

Stop trying to make it and just study the art. Personalize it. really grasp the concept. keep moving foward and invest alot of money, not just on gear but on your education. then begin thinking with some common sense and if you are as good as you think you are then doors will open as you create oppertunities for your self. If you go another year with out making the splash you want to maybe it is time to ask your self if you ever will. Maybe you need to switch it up a little or retire and work a 9 to 5.

our industry is over crowded any way with young minds that think it is so easy to make a beat on fl and some how become the next storch

pick a favorite artist of yours and research they're life. read there biography. see what steps they took to success, now pick another and you will see what both have in common. then start walking down that road. I know for a fact that no one made it from home making beats with out some one around them opening up a door, so unless ourfriend is the next jay z or russel simmons then your beat. you have to do your homework otherwise you will remain on gearsluts forever asking the same dumb questions every week about how to get your drums like dre's

dont be lame. be motivated
Good points feedback...
As for myself I play keys since a teen, play bass constantly at same gigs, nothing fancy but finding the right groovy spots, play guitar enough to write songs and record funky grooves, and started playing drums the last 4 months, I feel like finally I am starting to play the instrument of my life :-) Al that because I love music. I am not a great keyb/guitar/bassist and not even consider myself a drummer, but I love a good groove and I intend to learn enough of those and the production thing enough to make people groove. But I believe it's got be boundaries and we have to be wise as to where put our efforts. I know basic audio, enough to record clean tracks and be able to have some sonic variety but I do not intend to be a mixer or a recording engineer. So we have to pick our battles.

About the egos, I find the ego thing really funny, and I question myself if it is a necessity in the USA. Everybody is so full of themselves, I've been thinking that maybe it is a necessary thing. Like the guy here on GS who leases a BMW and advocates it as a marketing thing saying it helps him to sell beats.

The key thing that is very hard for me is networking, I was never a good at it, I don;t know, I've been thinking about how to overcome that.

About the "making it" thing. For me making it doesn't mean to be the guy( SS, timbo, whtever), but means to make kick ass music, make a living beyond buying kick ass gear, Have enough to give my son horizons I never had, to have access to amazingly talented people and have fun working on amazing tracks.

That, for me, is professional success and I am after it. I love the art of it , but the art is not an end in itself, even if it was, if I don't chase the top and all its talents, access and so on, I feel like I won't make the music I want to make.

Anyway, very good points, some posts really makes us think why we do what we do.

peace
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

u guys need to study more music that way when you hear an unbelievable melody you can actual envision the notes in your head. That way when you go to throw it down the only thing that could possibly stop you from making it happen is getting the right sound. Not being able to get a certain sound in your head is one of the most frustrating things ever...
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

I don't do a lot of hip-hop stuff, admittedly, but a lot of stuff I hear from the local beat makers is simply not musical.
What I mean by that is yeah, drums are popping hard, there's a funky little synth line in there or whatever, hats or percs are doing a nice pattern or whatever... but the music doesn't go anywhere.

No tension, no musical drama, no suspense, a single emotional shade and no dynamics. It hits minus one at 0:00 and stays there. It hits (emotionally) bad mother****er, and stays there. Musically you almost always know what's coming next.
Not that I can do any better. I can't. But those are the things that make music exciting for me. A lot of the stuff I hear just doesn't come alive or move like it's alive. Maybe it's supposed to be that way in the genre. Is it?

After the first 45 seconds to minute... (or the first chorus) you've heard the entire thing and experienced all the emotional content the music has to offer. Sure there's more cool lyrics coming.... but the music just stays mostly the same. The "breakdown" in the middle 8 doesn't (for me) change the fact that it's still the same musical content... with some things turned off.

As a music lover and consumer I say to you hip-hop producers... surprise me a couple of times. Please? Throw a reggea or island beat into a bridge or SOMETHING. Make me go "Yeah, that was cool... I wan't expecting that!"

No alternate chord voicings for variety or any of the things you hear in other styles. Just the same patterns over and over... and mutes for effect. That's what I hear locally here in Detroit and on a lot on some of the "beat makers" web sites. Granted, some of those patterns are damn sweet... but after a while I'm like "Ok, what's next?" Usually a repeat.

What's the name of the little nutty guy from Chi-Town who's momma died after plastic surgery? Not the greatest rapper in my view but the last album of his I bought had some music on it. Real music, not just patterns. Somebody involved in that understood how to use music to evoke emotion... lyrical content aside.

Drama, tension, emotion, life... music? That support helps a lot.

I think the future greats in hip-hop might just break out of the pattern mold and compose *entire songs* for lyricists. Not just link up repeating patterns. "Beats" aren't songs... per se... not to me anyway. To me, many songs "grow up" over the course of 4 minutes.

I'd like to hear a rap song just take the chorus up a half-step on an outtro or final chorus. Just to add some tension or life or a sense of immediacy.

Listen to great R&B, they do stuff like that a lot. When Celine Dion hits that final chorus and the band passes through a one bar transition and steps up the key of the song... it changes the emotional dynamic of that moment.

It makes you *feel* something... and it's not a feeling of "Wow. Cool music."
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I don't do a lot of hip-hop stuff, admittedly, but a lot of stuff I hear from the local beat makers is simply not musical.
What I mean by that is yeah, drums are popping hard, there's a funky little synth line in there or whatever, hats or percs are doing a nice pattern or whatever... but the music doesn't go anywhere.

No tension, no musical drama, no suspense, a single emotional shade and no dynamics. It hits minus one at 0:00 and stays there. It hits (emotionally) bad mother****er, and stays there. Musically you almost always know what's coming next.

Not that I can do any better. I can't. But those are the things that make music exciting for me. A lot of the stuff I hear just doesn't come alive or move like it's alive. Maybe it's supposed to be that way in the genre. Is it?

After the first 45 seconds to minute... (or the first chorus) you've heard the entire thing and experienced all the emotional content the music has to offer. Sure there's more cool lyrics coming.... but the music just stays mostly the same. The "breakdown" in the middle 8 doesn't (for me) change the fact that it's still the same musical content... with some things turned off.

No alternate chord voicings for variety or any of the things you hear in other styles. Just the same patterns over and over. That's what I hear locally here in Detroit and a lot on some of the "beat makers" web sites. Granted, some of those patterns are sweet... but after a while I'm like "Ok, what's next?" Usually a repeat.

What's the name of little nutty guy from Chi-Town who's momma died after plastic surgery? Not the greatest rapper in my view but the last album of his I bought had some music on it. Real music, not just patterns. Somebody involved in that understood how to use music to evoke emotion... lyrical content aside.

Drama, tension, emotion, life... music?

I think the future greats in hip-hop might just break out of the pattern mold and compose *entire songs* for lyricists. Not just link up patterns. "Beats" aren't songs... per se... not to me anyway.

I'd like to hear a rap song just take the chorus up a half-step on an outtro or final chorus. Just to add some tension or life or immediacy. Listen to great R&B, they do stuff like that a lot.
But when has HipHop eve been musical? It is not designed to be musical...If u want a great musical arrangement then u gotta be dumb lookin for that in HIPHOP...Old school hiphop was worst musically than nowadays so IMO IT HAS GOTTEN BETTER....

Hiphop is suppose to be simple with catchy leads and syncopated drums...with rappers sayin catchy punchlines...Thats HIPHOP! Go back to the old school and see whats happening!
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

DONT TALK SH*T ABOUT KANYE WEST! THATS MY FAVORITE PRODUCER OF ALL TIME!
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

No tension, no musical drama, no suspense, a single emotional shade and no dynamics. It hits minus one at 0:00 and stays there. It hits (emotionally) bad mother****er, and stays there.

After the first 45 seconds to minute... (or the first chorus) you've heard the entire thing and experienced all the emotional content the music has to offer. The "breakdown" in the middle 8 doesn't (for me) change the fact that it's still the same musical content... with some things turned off.

No alternate chord voicings for variety or any of the things you hear in other styles. Just the same patterns over and over. That's what I hear locally and a lot on some of the "beat makers" web sites. Granted, some of those patterns are sweet... but after a while I'm like "Ok, what's next?" Usually a repeat.

What's the name of little nutty guy from Chi-Town who's momma died after plastic surgery? Not the greatest rapper in my view but the last album of his I bought had some music on it. Real music, not just patterns.

Drama, tension, emotion, life... music?

I think the future greats in hip-hop might just break out of the pattern mold and compose *songs* for lyricists. Not just link up patterns.

I'd like to hear a rap song just take the chorus up a half-step on an outtro or final chorus. Just to add some tension or life or immediacy. Listen to great R&B, they do that a lot.
ehr... hello?
hip hop?... beats + rhymes, not intricate musical compositions + rhymes.

typical non hip hop comment, this is what "real" musicians and the mainstream audience have been saying ever since hip hop music came out....

"it's just drum machines and some @#$@#%'s talking sh*t"

exactly!!! it's supposed to be like that.

if the beat is hot and the mc tight, you don't need intro's, outro's, bridges, chord changes etc etc.

listen to great hip hop, just beats + rhymes!
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Everything changes. To me hip-hop is generally getting boring.

Just my .02.

If that's all it is then go for it. Cool.

I like some of it but much of it is boring after the first minute or so, especially since many of the great storytellers and poets of the past are gone. You don't need changes but inversions and other musical techniques wouldn't hurt.

I'm not here to offend anyone. I'm here to say that some buyers of hip-hop music, like me, are getting bored and to the OP, charting a new path away from the norm might be the inspiration he's looking for.

But, admittedly, I'm probably not the target audience anyway.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Everything changes. To me hip-hop is getting boring because it's not changing.

Just my .02.
jay electronica
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

From a thread here in 2005...

Quote:
this is only my second post on any forum i don't know what tha f*(& im doin
any ways the reason i asked this question is that i feel that todays hip hop as become really minimalist and a lot less musical than it was back in the 90's when producers really seemed to produce tracks rather than just loop an 8 bar beat and melody. producers were more creative with samples and instruments
Quote:
Amen to that ****!

I have got to say that thee most advanced and inspirational album...musically... for me ... was Aquemini by Outkast. More than the 1st and 2nd Chronic albums and more than Doggystyle( all which were undisputed classics)

But Aquemini, to me, was so great that I just knew Outkast would never top that album.

I also think that Liberation, track #15 on that album, dispite it not being a true rap song, I feel it was thee greatest song to EVER appear on a rap album.
So my vote is for the Dungeon Family

My second vote for most musical producer is DJ Quik.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...producers.html

Maybe I shoulda just said what they said instead of what I said. There are "musical" tracks in hip-hop. Kanye West stands out to me as one who does it more often than some that I personally know. To great effect, financially and artistically.

Even if he starts with patterns... no matter. The result is the same. I often feel his music, if not always his lyrics. "Diamonds" remix with JayZ by Kayne to me is an example of a musical hip-hop track. It never bores me. It moves a bit. It has changes and the bass moves in different parts. It has musical sections where it suspends the emotions of the listener just long enough to add something to the track. It's musical.

The verse and chorus patterns in that song serve their purpose to great effect ... but there's more to hear that keeps you interested. I guess that's not hip-hop.

Whatever that is I like it.

The fact that he doesn't spend 4 minutes bragging on himself, his boys, his crew, their sacks, their guns and their ho's also helps my enjoyment factor greatly. heh Curiously, he found something important to touch on even if he didn't actually say a lot about it.

If I decided to pursue a career as a hip-hop producer, I'd try to seperate myself from the pack. That *might* be one way to do that.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
i would do some collaborations with other producers.
I'd do this and find the best musicians I could find. Get a band together and have jam sessions. A few beers later you'll have some creativity flowing.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Head

me.

Right now I tried not to make any songs.
I spent the last couple of days just to layer things up, subtractors weird fx with bassline, bounce it up, make an exs24 instrument.

Or layer drumkits with weird synths,
put it on battery,

basicly just making new sounds out of old library.
gotta make new sounds that really inpiring, while im not too lazy =)

Hope in 2008 i would have album placements here and there.

Amen my brothersssss
Old 28th December 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
From a thread here in 2005...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...producers.html

Maybe I shoulda just said what they said instead of what I said. There are "musical" tracks in hip-hop. Kanye West stands out to me as one who does it more often than some that I personally know. To great effect, financially and artistically.

Even if he starts with patterns... no matter. The result is the same. I often feel his music, if not always his lyrics. "Diamonds" remix with JayZ by Kayne to me is an example of a musical hip-hop track. It never bores me. It moves a bit. It has changes and the bass moves in different parts. It has musical sections where it suspends the emotions of the listener just long enough to add something to the track. It's musical.

The verse and chorus patterns in that song serve their purpose to great effect ... but there's more to hear that keeps you interested. I guess that's not hip-hop.

Whatever that is I like it.

The fact that he doesn't spend 4 minutes bragging on himself, his boys, his crew, their sacks, their guns and their ho's also helps my enjoyment factor greatly. heh Curiously, he found something important to touch on even if he didn't actually say a lot about it.

If I decided to pursue a career as a hip-hop producer, I'd try to seperate myself from the pack. That *might* be one way to do that.
i think devo springsteen did that beat btw bka kanyes cuz
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
u guys need to study more music that way when you hear an unbelievable melody you can actual envision the notes in your head. That way when you go to throw it down the only thing that could possibly stop you from making it happen is getting the right sound. Not being able to get a certain sound in your head is one of the most frustrating things ever...
Envisioning notes and playing them out is not a problem for me. I have been doing so on the keyboard since I was 9 or 10. Its keeping the vibe of the initial ideal that I have in my head alive until I reach to the studio and get settled in to get to work. If I can keep that vibe, I will be able to drop down all the neccessairy parts on the spot, but sometimes by the time I get to the studio I end up loosing the vibe for the ideal, and as a result I wont have the patience for laying everything down and working each sound out.
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Muzik View Post
Hiphop is suppose to be simple with catchy leads and syncopated drums...with rappers sayin catchy punchlines...Thats HIPHOP! Go back to the old school and see whats happening!
NO! lmao

Hip Hop is suppose to be a freedom of expression. Meaning you should be able to make what ever you feel like without being judged or flamed for doing so. Mainstream Hip Hop tends to want to follow the status quo, and just recycle whatever they think will make instant hits. You on the other hand are probably not mainstream, and have the freedom to create what Hip Hop is suppose to be for you.

If you feel that simple and catchy leads, and syncopated drums are the way to go, you have the freedom to go that route. But go that route because thats what you feel inspired to make, not because you think its what you should make.
Old 28th December 2007
Gear Head

When you realize that having a great song everytime is the next level of production you will be able to get there.

Its not all about the beat.

Yall niggas be on here worried about the technical **** too much.

If people can feel it then you're good.

You can worry about the technical **** after.

The next level is the SONG
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hip Hop is suppose to be a freedom of expression.
Old 28th December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfClubChase View Post
When you realize that having a great song everytime is the next level of production you will be able to get there.

Its not all about the beat.

Yall niggas be on here worried about the technical **** too much.

If people can feel it then you're good.

You can worry about the technical **** after.

The next level is the SONG
um surf i think i totally agree with you. I saw a lot of great points on this thread but that made the most sense to me. I would rather have a bunch of hot songs then a whole bunch of hot beats.. Plus people would quicker pick up a hot song than a hot beat.....

surf by the way hit boy got some hot joints but is he as cocky as he seems lol...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search