The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help I'm doing my first recording session NOW!
Old 9th November 2007
Gear nut

Help I'm doing my first recording session NOW!

What I'm using is

Logic Pro 7, AKG mic, M-Audio Fire Wire Solo

My chain goes like this mic>interface>computer

Now when I open an audio track and, press record, I can't hear anything...what am I doing wrong
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganStudios View Post
What I'm using is

Logic Pro 7, AKG mic, M-Audio Fire Wire Solo

My chain goes like this mic>interface>computer

Now when I open an audio track and, press record, I can't hear anything...what am I doing wrong
.OK. i AM GONA NEED YOU TO KEEP BREATHING. Calm down. Its gona be ok. we will get you help....lol just kidding

You have to go into your daw and assign asio drivers for your solo. make sure all the correct software is installed. go to the web site for m- audio and download the updates for your interface.
you should have a system audio folder some where in the options of your DAW. make sure that your interface is selected as your primary driver.
set it to 24 bit. make sure that your project template is set to the same khz as your interface. so if you are recording at 4800 khz make sure that you have a 4800khz template open. if your daw template is set to 41oo and your interface is set to 4800 you will not get a working project template.
Make sure that your tracked is armed to record. make sure that the internal pre's on the interface is turned up to a level. . when you do a test record, make sure that you get a good level of anywhere from - 16db to -6 db . but do some test run to see what level sounds best to you. i usually get a good level of around - 12db. that way when you add some buss sends and aux sends you dont over push the signal. start there and if you have any more questions. get at me.
We will get you recording in no time.
Just dont die on me. I cant afford to lose another friend. (Sobbs)
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
.OK. i AM GONA NEED YOU TO KEEP BREATHING. Calm down. Its gona be ok. we will get you help....lol just kidding

You have to go into your daw and assign asio drivers for your solo. make sure all the correct software is installed. go to the web site for m- audio and download the updates for your interface.
you should have a system audio folder some where in the options of your DAW. make sure that your interface is selected as your primary driver.
set it to 24 bit. make sure that your project template is set to the same khz as your interface. so if you are recording at 4800 khz make sure that you have a 4800khz template open. if your daw template is set to 41oo and your interface is set to 4800 you will not get a working project template.
Make sure that your tracked is armed to record. make sure that the

internal pre's on the interface is turned up to a level. . when you do a test record, make sure that you get a good level of anywhere from - 16db to -6 db . but do some test run to see what level sounds best to you. i usually get a good level of around - 12db. that way when you add some buss sends and aux sends you dont over push the signal. start there and if you have any more questions. get at me.
We will get you recording in no time.
Just dont die on me. I cant afford to lose another friend. (Sobbs)

ohh and each track will have a input and output. make sure your input is set to m-audio input mic 1&2. out put should be m- audio main out 1& 2

the in and out lable might have a slighly different name but you get the picture.
if you do not set your input and out put your interface will not respond with your recording program
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

anyone else that reads this

Dont be afriad to help this dude out. I know alot of cats are bitter about sucking anyway and find it hard to pass on general help.(not all of you but some)

Look at it this way. If every doctor in america coveted the advancment in medicine, and did not share what they have learned we would all eventually die because we would not make any advancments in medicine because all the doctors are being bitches and not sharing what they know.
SAME APPLIES TO MUSIC. Dont be a BITCH. and covet your secrets cause if you do that we will not make any advancement in music. cause the people that know all the tricks will die with those secrets leaving the next generation to find out what they already found out. Which would leave us with the same set of sucky artist getting play. Ignorant stupid people. so help this dude out if you have the same interface. dont be a bitch
Old 9th November 2007
Gear nut

i dont have the same interface but i do know a gen rule of thumb in your comp setting you have to switch your audio settings from the mother board card to the usb card because sometimes it wont switch automatically especially if you booted your comp with it pluged in hope it helps man..

LATES
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

yes you are rright

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeToMIX View Post
i dont have the same interface but i do know a gen rule of thumb in your comp setting you have to switch your audio settings from the mother board card to the usb card because sometimes it wont switch automatically especially if you booted your comp with it pluged in hope it helps man..

LATES

you can do this by going to your my computer icon , right click on it. go to properties. then go to stystem devices. make sure that your sound interface is enables under audio devices. and your system audio card is disabled.

thanks for reminding me man. i almost forgot
Old 9th November 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
For some reason my cousin who knows nothing about computers, got on my mac and got it working..but thanks everyone

and does anyone know how to boost the Microphone volume for the head phones...it's chain is like this

headphones>firewire>computer
Old 10th November 2007
Gear Guru

is this for real?
Old 10th November 2007
Gear nut

yes this is real, I could hear their voices, when they would talk in the mic, but when I would press record nothing happens
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganStudios View Post
yes this is real, I could hear their voices, when they would talk in the mic, but when I would press record nothing happens
You need to workout where the output of the track you are recoding on is going. either set it to your main outs, or made the the output a bus then stick a Gainer plug on the bus and set the out put of the bus to your main outs. Then you can use the Gainer plug to attenuate the mic output level (if you're not getting enough).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search