The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you were tracking HipHop/RnB what outboard could you not live without Condenser Microphones
Old 4th January 2007
  #91
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 

I dont think its wrong to say that a given piece of gear is great specifically for HipHop or any other given genre of music production, especially if you are working towards the box (ie: the formula of successful hit records, and the gear that they were made on, in a given genre) If I was in front of a Neve 8078 and an SSL 9K-J series and someone wanted me to mix a rock record? Id mix on the neve. If someone wanted me to mix a HipHop record? Id mix on the SSL. Is everyone going to feel this way about their process? No. Would some engineers pick the SSL for rock? Yes. Do I think a great rock engineer can go and, without knowing the sonic lineage of the style of music, mix a great HipHop record? Not as well as a HipHop engineer could. And vise-versa. Did I ask and answer enough of my own questions? remains to be seen...the difference to me is between being able to 'cover' a style of music and 'rock' a style of music. My disclaimer would be that, ultimately, it aint the gear, its the ear and, of course, rock what you got...
Old 4th January 2007
  #92
Lives for gear
 
andrewj's Avatar
I agree, and I am sure there are tools that give you an easier way to achieve a certain behaviour of your signal and others that make that wanted sound harder to get, agree with that?
Old 4th January 2007
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
I agree, and I am sure there are tools that give you an easier way to achieve a certain behaviour of your signal and others that make that wanted sound harder to get, agree with that?
werd
Old 4th January 2007
  #94
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont think its wrong to say that a given piece of gear is great specifically for HipHop or any other given genre of music production, especially if you are working towards the box (ie: the formula of successful hit records, and the gear that they were made on, in a given genre) If I was in front of a Neve 8078 and an SSL 9K-J series and someone wanted me to mix a rock record? Id mix on the neve. If someone wanted me to mix a HipHop record? Id mix on the SSL. Is everyone going to feel this way about their process? No. Would some engineers pick the SSL for rock? Yes. Do I think a great rock engineer can go and, without knowing the sonic lineage of the style of music, mix a great HipHop record? Not as well as a HipHop engineer could.
I disagree with most of this. As far as recording gear (not music creation gear) goes, what works on hip hop works on anything else. Also, the vast majority of rock music is also mixed on SSL's. Recording is a different deal than mixing, but even so, Neve pre's sound great on everything and are widely used in hip hop and every other genre of music.

In the upper eschelon of engineers and producers, you'll find that the best guys can do it all. It's a skill set acquired from years of experience.
Old 4th January 2007
  #95
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
In the upper eschelon of engineers and producers, you'll find that the best guys can do it all. It's a skill set acquired from years of experience.
yeah but nobody does it all and does it all great...except maybe rick ruben
Old 4th January 2007
  #96
no ssl yet 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
yeah but nobody does it all and does it all great...except maybe rick ruben

I know many will disagree, but I think it's all 5 lines and 4 spaces. If I score/print a piece of music, and have it played by a 5 piece combo in Africa, Asia, or the States, it should sound like the same song because music is THE universal language.

When Ray Charles chose to go in a Country direction, there was nothing in HIM that would stop him from doing a country vibe. (OF course the label suits probably said something different.)

I don't doubt there's NOTHING that could stop Prince or Stevie from covering a hip hop vibe, or Jazz, Or country if they chose.


I still remember a day on the GS chat forum when, MWagner gave me some tips on getting more depth of field in my mixes. OF course we mix different genres, he may have NEVER EVER touched a hip hop mix, but depth of field is depth of field.

It's achieved the same way no matter what the genre.


OF course there are those who excel in a particular thing because it is their gift (Thinking Mick G. and RnB ballads).

But, still I think any great engineer could listen to a genre, observe what sensibilities are important in that genre, and accomplish it.

It's because they have the skill set.
Old 5th January 2007
  #97
no ssl yet 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearobsessed View Post
ssl go and buy the hummer, screw protolls hd cards, just load up on uad and powercore cards with one them duo 2 processors...than come pick me up..
Man, If I woulda bought the Hummer, do you know what my gas bill would be?
Old 5th January 2007
  #98
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
I still remember a day on the GS chat forum when, MWagner gave me some tips on getting more depth of field in my mixes. OF course we mix different genres, he may have NEVER EVER touched a hip hop mix, but depth of field is depth of field.
I think "Black Cat" was the closest for him.
Old 5th January 2007
  #99
Lives for gear
 
Ace'Lo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Man, If I woulda bought the Hummer, do you know what my gas bill would be?
Yea and the miles per gallon...U would be mad as hell right now!!
Old 6th January 2007
  #100
Lives for gear
 
emkay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
I know many will disagree, but I think it's all 5 lines and 4 spaces. If I score/print a piece of music, and have it played by a 5 piece combo in Africa, Asia, or the States, it should sound like the same song because music is THE universal language.

When Ray Charles chose to go in a Country direction, there was nothing in HIM that would stop him from doing a country vibe. (OF course the label suits probably said something different.)

I don't doubt there's NOTHING that could stop Prince or Stevie from covering a hip hop vibe, or Jazz, Or country if they chose.


I still remember a day on the GS chat forum when, MWagner gave me some tips on getting more depth of field in my mixes. OF course we mix different genres, he may have NEVER EVER touched a hip hop mix, but depth of field is depth of field.

It's achieved the same way no matter what the genre.


OF course there are those who excel in a particular thing because it is their gift (Thinking Mick G. and RnB ballads).

But, still I think any great engineer could listen to a genre, observe what sensibilities are important in that genre, and accomplish it.

It's because they have the skill set.


Now I'm confused! Didn't you start this thread implying that hip hop and r&b in their uniquness require the use of specific gear, therefore you were asking GS for gear recomendations? Now you are saying, and I'm paraphrasing, that anyone with talent can basically "cross-over"!So why couldn't,and I quote "any great engineer could listen to a genre, observe what sensibilities are important in that genre, and accomplish it."--------- USING ANY GEAR he feels would work on Pop, Rock,Fusion, Classical, Neo-**** polkas, Funeral derges , New School, Old School, No School,OR any session that came HIS or the GEAR'S way??
So which is it? -------
Is hip hop and r&b so exclusive musically re-equipment demands/requirements OR NOT? --------
I've gotta get back to my session, recording my Rockula drumkit using a set of the signed Roger Nichols limited addition Steely Dan overheads going into my George Martin EMI "Instant Abbey Road Sound" Atomic mic Pres through my Stevie Wonder "Praise The Lord "Auto Converters all mixed through my Dr. Dre "Beatmaster" Homey 3 console! ..................it's tuff cuz this tune is a Deathmetal-fusion-urban-R and D-CEO-Trash-Ballad kind o' thing in 17/8-----you know what I'm talkin'' bout!.............peace?
Old 6th January 2007
  #101
no ssl yet 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
Now I'm confused! Didn't you start this thread implying that hip hop and r&b in their uniquness require the use of specific gear, therefore you were asking GS for gear recomendations? Now you are saying, and I'm paraphrasing, that anyone with talent can basically "cross-over"!So why couldn't,and I quote "any great engineer could listen to a genre, observe what sensibilities are important in that genre, and accomplish it."--------- USING ANY GEAR he feels would work on Pop, Rock,Fusion, Classical, Neo-**** polkas, Funeral derges , New School, Old School, No School,OR any session that came HIS or the GEAR'S way??
So which is it? -------
Is hip hop and r&b so exclusive musically re-equipment demands/requirements OR NOT? --------
I've gotta get back to my session, recording my Rockula drumkit using a set of the signed Roger Nichols limited addition Steely Dan overheads going into my George Martin EMI "Instant Abbey Road Sound" Atomic mic Pres through my Stevie Wonder "Praise The Lord "Auto Converters all mixed through my Dr. Dre "Beatmaster" Homey 3 console! ..................it's tuff cuz this tune is a Deathmetal-fusion-urban-R and D-CEO-Trash-Ballad kind o' thing in 17/8-----you know what I'm talkin'' bout!.............peace?

Yep give this man a cigar, You are absolutely right. I started the thread asking for specific gear solutions for tracking hip hop.


I STARTED THIS THREAD IN 2002. IT is now 2007! (If you've followed the thread, you'll notice

I think I have the right to change my opinion at some point with personal experience.

(But in usual GS accusatory inflamatory tone, you find something wrong with this)

I don't know what all the bull**** in your post was about. But I stand by my post.
Old 6th January 2007
  #102
What i really want to know is did you get that Hummer and what's it like?heh
Old 6th January 2007
  #103
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
I STARTED THIS THREAD IN 2002. IT is now 2007!


That's too funny.
Old 6th January 2007
  #104
Lives for gear
 
emkay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Yep give this man a cigar, You are absolutely right. I started the thread asking for specific gear solutions for tracking hip hop.


I STARTED THIS THREAD IN 2002. IT is now 2007! (If you've followed the thread, you'll notice

I think I have the right to change my opinion at some point with personal experience.

(But in usual GS accusatory inflamatory tone, you find something wrong with this)

I don't know what all the bull**** in your post was about. But I stand by my post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:(But in usual GS accusatory inflamatory tone, you find something wrong with this)

I don't know what all the bull**** in your post was about. But I stand by my post.


MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!.....peace?
Old 7th January 2007
  #105
Lives for gear
 
tengu's Avatar
Emkay, all you managed to do is enter a half decent thread and smear your cynical, arrogant ego all accross it.

You don't hesitate in mentioning yourself in the same sentence as Dre and it is obvious from some of your posts that you have a low opinion of hip-hop in general.

dfegad dfegad dfegad emkay.

"By the way, for any of you who think I don't understand the genre. let's just say when I show up to a session with my kit, my drums and my laptop with Logic Pro to perform live and then programme embellishments or vice versa, and am asked, where the hell did I learn how to play those "beats" for real, I just smile and tell them, "I learned from listening to Dre"......I pack up and chuckle to myself-----it's ALL music!! Open up and learn some of it!!.......peace?"-Emkay

"it's ALL music!! Open up and learn some of it!!.......peace?"

You arrogant d.ck.

Sure, hardware will work in a lot of different genre's but doesn't all hardware exhibit certain charecteristics that are better in certain situations as they are able to bring out certain nuances?

e.g. people often mention the germanium for use when recording guitars.

Doesn't hip-hop have certain nuances and characteristics that are less often found in other genre's.

e.g. Snappy snare and big kicks.

Some rock I have heard, I can hardly hear the kicks.

So perhaps those nuances and perculiarities that hip-hop has more of, when compared to other musics, can benefit from specific forms of hardware. ????

If you take your ascersion to the extremes than we may as well only have one set of eq's an compressors and forget the rest cause everything is the same.

What makes you assume that the people in this forum can't play beats on a kit, just like Dre's productions? What makes you assume that they don't know much about other forms of music?

So what? You got logic pro and can play beats in the pocket just like all Dre's beats. For any drummer worth half their weight in salt, that is some elementary ****.

Hopefully you can come up with some abstractions a bit more interesting than the beats you think encompass "hip-hop".
Old 7th January 2007
  #106
Lives for gear
 
tengu's Avatar
Has anyone any experience with the Portico 5043 on the mix buss?

Can anyone post some thoughts with regards to how it compares to the Drawmer 1968.
Old 7th January 2007
  #107
Lives for gear
 
emkay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
Emkay, all you managed to do is enter a half decent thread and smear your cynical, arrogant ego all accross it.

You don't hesitate in mentioning yourself in the same sentence as Dre and it is obvious from some of your posts that you have a low opinion of hip-hop in general.

dfegad dfegad dfegad emkay.

"By the way, for any of you who think I don't understand the genre. let's just say when I show up to a session with my kit, my drums and my laptop with Logic Pro to perform live and then programme embellishments or vice versa, and am asked, where the hell did I learn how to play those "beats" for real, I just smile and tell them, "I learned from listening to Dre"......I pack up and chuckle to myself-----it's ALL music!! Open up and learn some of it!!.......peace?"-Emkay

"it's ALL music!! Open up and learn some of it!!.......peace?"



You arrogant d.ck.

Sure, hardware will work in a lot of different genre's but doesn't all hardware exhibit certain charecteristics that are better in certain situations as they are able to bring out certain nuances?

e.g. people often mention the germanium for use when recording guitars.

Doesn't hip-hop have certain nuances and characteristics that are less often found in other genre's.

e.g. Snappy snare and big kicks.

Some rock I have heard, I can hardly hear the kicks.

So perhaps those nuances and perculiarities that hip-hop has more of, when compared to other musics, can benefit from specific forms of hardware. ????

If you take your ascersion to the extremes than we may as well only have one set of eq's an compressors and forget the rest cause everything is the same.

What makes you assume that the people in this forum can't play beats on a kit, just like Dre's productions? What makes you assume that they don't know much about other forms of music?

So what? You got logic pro and can play beats in the pocket just like all Dre's beats. For any drummer worth half their weight in salt, that is some elementary ****.

Hopefully you can come up with some abstractions a bit more interesting than the beats you think encompass "hip-hop".


I am sorry that you have elected to take this to a personal level and am even more sorry that you think I have little respect for hip hop. And am very very sorry for the ignorance you show in stating...
"So what? You got logic pro and can play beats in the pocket just like all Dre's beats. For any drummer worth half their weight in salt, that is some elementary ****."........once YOU get up to YOUR "half weight in salt" maybe we can engage in some intelligent banter without personal attacks. In the meantime,....good luck to you....later!
Old 7th January 2007
  #108
no ssl yet 
Guest
This thread is a great example of what GS was and what it has become. Congrats Emkay, you are the new era of GS
Old 7th January 2007
  #109
Lives for gear
 
andrewj's Avatar
If people like emkay are the future of Gearslutz: Good Night everyone! This forum was about gear advise and stuff! When we are not ablte to talk about that anymore what is this place good for?
Old 1st May 2010
  #110
Gear Maniac
 

Welcome back from the archivesthumbsup
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Zombies_on_Fire / Low End Theory
45
IM WHO YOU THINK / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
35
newlyformedmind / So much gear, so little time
36
christian / Music Computers
33

Forum Jump
Forum Jump