The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I want to make "New Jack Swing" beats, what do I need?
Old 20th October 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Sounds good, but you need some gated rooms on the drums... kick and snare to be authentic

1000 posts!!! There ya go. ha
Old 20th October 2007
Lives for gear

( does the running Man dance)
Old 20th October 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Perfect.
Old 20th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds good, but you need some gated rooms on the drums... kick and snare to be authentic
Let me call Teddy real quick...... lol
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

teddy was/ is always very groovebox happy towards the later years. mc505, etc...
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

sample james brown's "escapism" snare.
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
sample james brown's "escapism" snare.
Yeah and the Lyn Collins think joint or the whole loop "you bad sista" that's more like the Eddie F "In Living Color" type of sound though.
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Oh man, I loved this music when I was a kid. I think it's great. Good records, well Troop was awesome, damn, I have cassette tapes of all **** somewhere buried at my house. Troop was one of my all time favorites though, they had killer songs.

There was one group that had a single with a chorus "I've got that feeling...something's going on" . I forget the name, but that song was classic New Jack.

Remember how the bridge was always a rap? haha, i miss that ****.
Troop was the fake New Edition. LOL
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz View Post
Troop was the fake New Edition. LOL
I always thought that was Boys To Men..well I guess there were a lot of those acts.

"Spread My Wings" ...undeniably great tune though.
Old 23rd October 2007
TTB

Watch the movie NEW JACK CITY.....Lol
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always thought that was Boys To Men..well I guess there were a lot of those acts.

Well obviously, NE had a hand in putting Boys to Men on the map...

Props to Chuckii Booker on the Troop production , and to a really great engineer named Craig Burbidge.
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well obviously, NE had a hand in putting Boys to Men on the map...

Props to Chuckii Booker on the Troop production , and to a really great engineer named Craig Burbidge.
Chuckii Booker "is"....not "was".... the truth. "Turned Away" is my track! If cats just went back and studied from these guys, you would learn a lot and maybe music wouldn't be so, well....horrible. We control this now! I'm all for putting music back into it. I think Toomp and Kanye tryin. There is no soul in Hip Hop, at least what I hear.

New Jack was a moovement. But it was also fun! For a minute.....
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

huh

it think i where a long time the only warrior

how waiting for a album with

teddy style new jack !?.

feels good that some more still like it

patrick
Old 28th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh man, I loved this music when I was a kid. I think it's great. Good records, well Troop was awesome, damn, I have cassette tapes of all **** somewhere buried at my house. Troop was one of my all time favorites though, they had killer songs.

There was one group that had a single with a chorus "I've got that feeling...something's going on" . I forget the name, but that song was classic New Jack.

Remember how the bridge was always a rap? haha, i miss that ****.
The name of the group was called Today. Ex-lead singer Lee Drakeford (aka "Big Bub", "Bubba") released albums from the early 90s until recently..check him out..he's a legend that doesn't get legendary props!
Old 28th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
Man, he was my favorite producer along with teddy and devante swing and Eddie F!!!!!

Here's a little tribute to that time, I did this in Cubase SX and the M1 Korg Digicollection and Stylus I think. A lil New Jack is it good to you kind of vibe! :
After those cats paved the way, Eddie F schooled and brought Dave "Jam" Hall up under his wing. Let's not forget: Dave "Jam" Hall produced 75 percent of Mary J Blige's 1992 debut of "What's The 411?"....he also produced a little over half of Madonna's 1995 "Bedtime Stories" album, Horace Brown's unreleased debut at Uptown Records, but a couple of songs got picked up and selected for Horace Brown's self-titled 1996 debut at Motown..."Taste Your Love"..STILL THE BEST CUNNLINGUS ANTHEM EVER!

Eddie F and the Untouchbles (Kenny Smoove (went on to produce for Case and Changing Faces), Kenny Kornegay (produced Donell Jones remake of "Knocks Me Off My Feet"), Dave "Jam" Hall (I already listed some of his projects/accolades), Nevelle Hodge)...yeah Eddie F and the Untouchables were the best Hip-Hop-Soul producers since Full Force!!!

Then Dallas Austin brought Tim & Bob up underneath his wing. They produced the VERY FIRST Usher record in 1993 called "Call Me A Mack" from the Poetic Justice soundtrack (Usher sounds nothing like that now..take a listen if you can LOL!!!)...then Tim & Bob produced a few joints on Monica's 1995 album debut on "Miss Thing". Then Tim & Bob produced for artists like Soul For Real, Elusion, Jon B., JOE [Thomas], etc. And then made their big-arse comeback in 2004/2005 with Bobby Valentino's debut. They have been on fire since..producing hot sh*t for Ralph Tresvant ("My Angel" joint), Donell Jone's "I Gotta Be", "Feelin' You"...and four joints on Brian McKnight's new Ten album..Check them out..Tim & Bob and B. McKnight use the college-band kicks something awfully hot on those joints!!

Tim & Bob after breaking off from Dallas Austin, named their publishing company "Tymes 4 Flyte"..110-percent inspired by their favorite producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

Does anybody remember Vincert Herbert, Kiyamma Griffin (Faith Evan's first baby's daddy)/3 Boyz From Newark?? They produced Christopher Williams hit "Every Little Thing U Do"...never got the respect in crossing over, but they produced for Al B Sure too, Hi-Five (RIP Tony Thompson) and a few acts too.

And last but not least: Mike City produced some hot **** in the last few years. Remember "Heard It All Before" by Sunshine Anderson?? Yup he produced 90 percent of her 2000/ 2001 debut album....that album still gets spun on my computer at least once every other month (I listen to ten's of hundreds of albums all the time that's why). He also produced "I Wish" by Carl Thomas... a lot of good sh_t.

I like the joint he produced for Donell Jone's 2006 single "Spend The Night".

I went crazy, but these producers shaped R&B of the last 15 years to the utmost and are still "los subestimados" (underdogs) in the game!
Old 29th October 2007
Lives for gear

I did some work with 3 Boyz on the Christopher Williams project and a few others I can't remember. VERY talented and musically knowledgable. Vincent is still doing business, but I don't know about the other guys.
Old 30th October 2007
jmh
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here's my list, I love New Jack!!

These are any/or status:

Hardware:
Yamaha RY20
Yamaha RX7
Yamaha DX keyboard
Korg M1
Roland D 50
Roland R8 (rack also)
Any old Yamaha PSR keyboard
TX81z
Roland JD990
Kawai Drum Machine with sync
Hohner Clavinet (Teddy used it on Guy album he said)

Software:
Korg Digital Collection (MUST HAVE!)
NI FM8 (with lately bass patch)
EFM8 (logic)
Logic Pro with Quantize set to 1/24

Then get Guy, Today, Keith Sweat, AlBSure, HeavyD, New Jack City Soundtrack, Kid and Play, anything Herbie Love Bug was doing in 89-90, and your good!
Very close,

But you must remenber teddy used the mpc 60 only in the very begining he mostly used computer based seq,the most famed 1 was notator (which became logic) the Tx 81 z was his secrect weapon from 86 til 93 also D70 as well as s770 an mind his setup was extravagant then above 2 s1000 2 s1100 i never saw teddy use a Honer D 6 but a rhodes yes also his template really not one has he developed a more pronounce template that i wish he had still where is did you come up with 1/24 in what time signature jus curious he has alway been 1/16 note unless he orchestrates
anyway jus wanted to chime in.
Old 30th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one View Post
teddy was/ is always very groovebox happy towards the later years. mc505, etc...
the 505 is kinda sick. pick one up off ebay for cheap! that's my word...
Old 30th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Very close,

But you must remenber teddy used the mpc 60 only in the very begining he mostly used computer based seq,the most famed 1 was notator (which became logic) the Tx 81 z was his secrect weapon from 86 til 93 also D70 as well as s770 an mind his setup was extravagant then above 2 s1000 2 s1100 i never saw teddy use a Honer D 6 but a rhodes yes also his template really not one has he developed a more pronounce template that i wish he had still where is did you come up with 1/24 in what time signature jus curious he has alway been 1/16 note unless he orchestrates
anyway jus wanted to chime in.
Hi JMH , great to have you on board .....

I think what illynoise is saying is a quantize value , 1/24 is an extreme swing played as 16th's because the inbetween beats are parts of sextuplets , sort of like setting your MPC at 70% heh

Did you mix Babyface's 'Face To Face' record ? I remember reading the credits a while back so not quite sure ....

If so, did you have anything on the main bus or did you compressed the groups ?

Love the use of compression and fader rides for the BV's on it , very punchy record overall .
Old 30th October 2007
jmh
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Hi JMH , great to have you on board .....

I think what illynoise is saying is a quantize value , 1/24 is an extreme swing played as 16th's because the inbetween beats are parts of sextuplets , sort of like setting your MPC at 70% heh

Did you mix Babyface's 'Face To Face' record ? I remember reading the credits a while back so not quite sure ....

If so, did you have anything on the main bus or did you compressed the groups ?

Love the use of compression and fader rides for the BV's on it , very punchy record overall .
Yes i did mix the album that was a very experimental record for me that led me to change my approach yet again thank you for the kind words,also thankx illynoise comment
Old 23rd April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Man, he was my favorite producer along with teddy and devante swing and Eddie F!!!!!

Here's a little tribute to that time, I did this in Cubase SX and the M1 Korg Digicollection and Stylus I think. A lil New Jack is it good to you kind of vibe! :
I love this NJS beat you made!

What patch are you using for the synth sound that sounds like a vocoder effect? Is it a Korg M1 patch; and which one is it?

If you have a minute, please let me know where I can find it. I've been looking for that sound for awhile. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ha nice work! Reminds me of back when I used to have Motorola Brick

I love how you can mix GoGo tracks from DC perfectly with NJS.

Though at the end of the day, I'm holding out for a hip house resurgence.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just curious here.. Which kinds of verbs did they usually go to for that sound (plate, spring, hall or even certain brands)?

What about the gating, is that done with a regular gate? I never really worked with the gated verbs on drums (probably too young, lol), definatly going to make a few beats with that today. heh
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
...I'm holding out for a hip house resurgence.
heh man... how irritating was THAT stuff.

or how about turbo b totally biting on and immitating chill rob g.
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Maniac

I made this lil NJS beat a while ago.

This is what i used:
ASR 10 for drums and samples
DX100
Motif
Fantom
Se1x
Guitar
Attached Files

rap135.mp3 (3.07 MB, 4138 views)

Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Gundersen View Post
Just curious here.. Which kinds of verbs did they usually go to for that sound (plate, spring, hall or even certain brands)?

What about the gating, is that done with a regular gate? I never really worked with the gated verbs on drums (probably too young, lol), definatly going to make a few beats with that today. heh
My guess would be Yamaha SPX 90 and Alesis Quadraverb.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I was actually gonna do a cover of "Spread my Wings"! That was one of my favorite songs fa sho!
Old 23rd April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotterdam View Post

This is what i used:
DX100
Motif
Fantom
Se1x
Guitar
Good job! complete with the classic stabs and everything... I'm feelin' it!
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

heh Get teddy riley Neko lol and you should be set
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotterdam View Post

This is what i used:
DX100
Motif
Fantom
Se1x
Guitar

very nice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search