The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DJ Premier Boom-Bap Kick - Suggestions? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

DJ Premier Boom-Bap Kick - Suggestions?

Premo`s beats always sounded cool to me. I like his thumpy kicks which are not overloaded with those sublows, yet still got tons of weight.
I wonder if anybody could give any info how`s the kick from the snippet below was sampled/processed. It got no click attack, but is punchy as hell with a round bottom body.
Attached Files

Primo.mp3 (272.5 KB, 4846 views)

Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Premo`s beats always sounded cool to me. I like his thumpy kicks which are not overloaded with those sublows, yet still got tons of weight.
I wonder if anybody could give any info how`s the kick from the snippet below was sampled/processed. It got no click attack, but is punchy as hell with a round bottom body.
s950, roids, weed
Old 2nd October 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Roids?
Old 2nd October 2007
Deleted #29527
Preme is Preme, why the hell would you wanne sound like him?
Old 2nd October 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Here's how they probably got that sound.

Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

bah. double up the kick. Perhaps use 2 different kicks, one with LP one with HP and balance them. Careful precise EQ...

or, the perfect sample!
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
bah. double up the kick. Perhaps use 2 different kicks, one with LP one with HP and balance them. Careful precise EQ...

or, the perfect sample!
Actually, the beat i posted contains two layered kicks - one basic (punch +roundness), and the second is triggered only on-beat - (no attack, just for more weight). The start of the second kick is delayed for about 30 msec. so it kicks-in after th initial punch.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear nut

is that D & D?

to answer dudes question.....

sound/sample selection (maybe most important)

layering

ADSR

compression

machine used (MPC 60 II, Akai s950 etc)

studio work ie. rack efx, tube compressors etc.

tricks learned through the years! tutt
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

It's easy.
Use the right sounds. Get creative. Record some creazy noises ,layer them with some kicks and see how it comes out.
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear interested

you want a bad kick sound? take the biggest, hardest kick you got, run it thru some tubes, and then carve it into the sub bustin kick you want it to be with a good eq.
some guys might not use the tube.
Old 4th October 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLsoN View Post
Preme is Preme, why the hell would you wanne sound like him?
I don't think if somebody asks for a tip on a part of somebody else production style, they're necessarily doing it because they want their overall production to sound like that person.

Nothing is really new; everything is just pieces of different things that have been done over time, put together in a different way. Music is an evolution, and in order to build your own style you have to first learn from the masters, the same way the current generation learned by imitating Primo, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Marl, Teddy Riley, and everybody else.

Take some storch strings, a dre snare, some timbo syncopation, Just Blaze-style fanfare, and put it all together and eventually it starts to morph into a totally different style that sounds like YOU.

It's just like mixing... You learn by listening to the best and seeing what they use to get their sound. It doesn't mean that you're going to come out mixing exactly like Tony Maserati, but it's by having that foundation to build on that you allow yourself to reach a high level and create your own statement.

If you want to be the best, you have to learn from the best. Then you take the knowledge, put your own twist on it, and use it in your own way.

If you don't want to be the best, then by all means go ahead and try creating stuff out of thin air... But most of the producers that are at the top of the industry today spent a lot of time doing their homework and learning to imitate their predecessors and mentors first.
Old 4th October 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Here's how they probably got that sound.

Is that Jermaine Dupri? I thought he had his own studio called "Southside" in ATL.
Old 4th October 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjforlife View Post
you want a bad kick sound? take the biggest, hardest kick you got, run it thru some tubes, and then carve it into the sub bustin kick you want it to be with a good eq.
some guys might not use the tube.
You are full of ****, for lack of a better term.

D
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Does anyone recognize the tr909 looking box with a numerical key pad present in both pictures, a roland sequencer?
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Reeves View Post
Is that Jermaine Dupri? I thought he had his own studio called "Southside" in ATL.
that is not Jermaine Dupri.
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Reeves View Post
I thought he had his own studio called "Southside" in ATL.
Its actually, the now defunkt, D&D studios. There were not many MCI rooms in Manhattan to begin with. Recognize the nice brown JH636 console?
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Addict

API 550a1
Old 4th October 2007
Gear nut

some cats in this forum over analzye **** too much lol.... i bet that kick is just two kicks layered with no processing whatsoever.. primo has been digging as long as l have been alive. Hes probably taken tens of thousands of kicks off of records over the years. Plus the older mpcs and the s950 are punchier and more lo fi so im sure that adds to the effect. My guess would be good digging and layering. Thats it.
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Addict

one kick. no layers.

Funky President

bump up 40 hz thru API 550a1 compress to taste.

Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz1der View Post
one kick. no layers.

Funky President

bump up 40 hz thru API 550a1 compress to taste.

Have listened to the beat? there`s almost no power at 40 Hz. and there are TWO kicks.
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Holmz View Post
some cats in this forum over analzye **** too much lol.... i bet that kick is just two kicks layered with no processing whatsoever.. primo has been digging as long as l have been alive. Hes probably taken tens of thousands of kicks off of records over the years. Plus the older mpcs and the s950 are punchier and more lo fi so im sure that adds to the effect. My guess would be good digging and layering. Thats it.
Yup.
He's just a damn good producer.
Old 5th October 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
learn about lp and hp for real man. Im a boom bap (conna sewer LMAO) hmmm..... maybe my next beat name or something.
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

I got a good answer for you....MASTERING.

Watch this video of a track called "Classic". You can see DJ Premier making a beat in the begining and you can hear the beat before and after mastering. You will know when the mastering drops. Actually if you can't hear when the mastering drops in this song than you don't have the ears to to make beats so this is a test......an EASY test at that. You will hear more bass in all the elements after the mastering comes in. The mastering has A LOT to do with the sound you are talking about but DJ Premier has A LOT MORE to to with it .

Just watch and listen:

YouTube - Kanye West ft. Rakim, Nas, & KRS One - Classic
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz View Post
learn about lp and hp for real man. Im a boom bap (conna sewer LMAO) hmmm..... maybe my next beat name or something.
check this out. i have tryed this out and it works fairly nice for boom bap kicks as you call them.

this works best with a desk made of thick wood or composite.

take a kick mic or a condenser if you dont have a good kick mic and put it on a mic stand with the joint in the middle allowing you to angle the mic under the desk.. face the diaphram of the mic twords the bottom side of the desk. didstance the mic about a foot away and do a couple good thumps on the top of your desk like back in the old days of beatin on the lunch room table. this works best if the area you stick the mic under is a fairly large area and if it is closedoff on three sides..... this will create more bass to the kick but you can achieve a thousand different sounds.

one you get a couple solid thumps layer one over your favorite kick and off you go.
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
check this out. i have tryed this out and it works fairly nice for boom bap kicks as you call them.

this works best with a desk made of thick wood or composite.

take a kick mic or a condenser if you dont have a good kick mic and put it on a mic stand with the joint in the middle allowing you to angle the mic under the desk.. face the diaphram of the mic twords the bottom side of the desk. didstance the mic about a foot away and do a couple good thumps on the top of your desk like back in the old days of beatin on the lunch room table. this works best if the area you stick the mic under is a fairly large area and if it is closedoff on three sides..... this will create more bass to the kick but you can achieve a thousand different sounds.

one you get a couple solid thumps layer one over your favorite kick and off you go.
Hahah I'm not the only one.
It really works.
Old 5th October 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
I got a good answer for you....MASTERING.

Watch this video of a track called "Classic". You can see DJ Premier making a beat in the begining and you can hear the beat before and after mastering. You will know when the mastering drops. Actually if you can't hear when the mastering drops in this song than you don't have the ears to to make beats so this is a test......an EASY test at that. You will hear more bass in all the elements after the mastering comes in. The mastering has A LOT to do with the sound you are talking about but DJ Premier has A LOT MORE to to with it .

Just watch and listen:

YouTube - Kanye West ft. Rakim, Nas, & KRS One - Classic
the beat in the beginning is not just unmastered,its unmixed too.it sounds like it comes straight out of the mpc 60II.
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Y. View Post
the beat in the beginning is not just unmastered,its unmixed too.it sounds like it comes straight out of the mpc 60II.
Would that be the one that Premier is seen leaning over in the video?........
Old 5th October 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Would that be the one that Premier is seen leaning over in the video?........
i'm sorry my english is not the best so i'm not sure if i understood your response right.

but to correct myself,i think the beat in the intro is maybe mastered too,but it doesn't sounds like it was mixed.i mean he plays the beat from his mpc and it sounds like they recorded it just like that.so the diffrence between the intro and the song itself doesn't only comes from the mastering.i think for the most part it comes from the mix.from my experience mastering makes the song louder,more compressed,maybe more stereo wideness more clarity.most of my tracks lost a lil bass after the mastering because of the compression.if mastering would make such a big difference, my beats didn't need to get mixed anymore.they just need to be mastered and everyting were fine.
Old 5th October 2007
Gear maniac

If you want a deep thumpin kick that also has punch, take a standard punchy kick, layer in a down tuned electronic kick,(808 etc.) Mix, compress and eq to taste.
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear
It's not the mastering. In the beginning of video you're hearing the track over the studio monitors in the room. When the song kicks in you're hearing it direct that's all.

If you really want to know how to get that sound, I'll give it away...

Just chop up a decent breakbeat, filter it a bit, and layer the kick with a 909, DMX, or Linn kick.

What do you think cats did before sample CDs, workstation keyboards, and ROMplers?

That's it...this hip hop **** ain't rocket science.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search