The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
REASON 4 is awsome....
Old 26th September 2007
  #1
Here for the gear
 
TheAttriks's Avatar
 

REASON 4 is awsome....

Just got REASON 4 the other day and was pretty hesitant at first.. But after a few days, its f##kin bad ass... The sequencer gets a little getting used to, but the new THOR synth is amazing.. I like the new Regroove feature that lets you throw a lil' love on your break beats.. Dont be afraid to upgrade! In this case, taking a few days to soak in all the new features will be your gain in the end..
Old 26th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
PhonoquO's Avatar
 

i've been off reason for a minute now, but with that regroove feature and moreso the arpeggiator with note repeat, i might mess with it again, rewired of course. hopefully they fixed the audio engine.
Old 26th September 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
i've been off reason for a minute now, but with that regroove feature and moreso the arpeggiator with note repeat, i might mess with it again, rewired of course. hopefully they fixed the audio engine.

Even if they did, I'd still use it through REWIRE. I doubt that sequencers like Reason and FL Studio will ever provide audio quality that matches those found in other DAW programs like Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic, Samplitude, etc........
Old 26th September 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mix-it-well's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Even if they did, I'd still use it through REWIRE. I doubt that sequencers like Reason and FL Studio will ever provide audio quality that matches those found in other DAW programs like Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic, Samplitude, etc........
They do.
There are some tests on the Net.
haven`t checked it myself but I use FL everyday and the soundquality is very good.
Old 26th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

REWIRE

I have to admit that the difference in sound quality is WAY obvious when you rewire Reason to nuendo. If there's test that prove it's the same, this must be for Reason 4 and not previous versions of it. I can't wait to pick up my upgrade today. I'll check for myself. But like i said, the difference in sound quality from reason 3 with and without rewire is obvious.
Old 26th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
PhonoquO's Avatar
 

yes, the trick with reason is to rewire, or better yet run through outboard first, the key being to bypass it's internal mixer completely, going from devices straight to the interface panel at the top.
the eq's don't sound right to me at all, either on the mixer or the individual eq devices. as far as the effects go, i would only mess with the delay and the scream, the rest are subpar.
Old 27th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
yes, the trick with reason is to rewire, or better yet run through outboard first, the key being to bypass it's internal mixer completely, going from devices straight to the interface panel at the top.
the eq's don't sound right to me at all, either on the mixer or the individual eq devices. as far as the effects go, i would only mess with the delay and the scream, the rest are subpar.
Yeah, I have been rewiring Reason ever since I started playing around with VST instruments. The sound quality seems a lot better through rewire than it does in comparison to exporting out audio files.

I haven't had a chance to try Reason 4 yet though, so I cannot comment on its stand alone quality. Hopefully someone can give us a total run down on their throughts about the sound quality of Reason 4 in comparison to Reason 3 after they have had some time to really run through the program.
Old 27th September 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Reason 4 is a good update but the sequencer and new workflow really turns me off on it. I like the old one better but at this point I would rather sequence in Sonar 7 which to me looks awesome.
Old 27th September 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

yes, i agree that rewire will help the tonality better. but groove wise, you're mistaken.

Reason's internal PPQ resolution is much higher than other DAW's, including PT and Logic. so when a song's played any point before Bar 1111, there'll be rounding errors.. thereby giving you a drift in the timing.

do a test if you don't believe me.

read more here:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...969&highlight=
Old 27th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
Reason 4 is a good update but the sequencer and new workflow really turns me off on it. I like the old one better but at this point I would rather sequence in Sonar 7 which to me looks awesome.
OK...I had to drive 45 mins to get my Reason 4 upgrade cause the 2 GC's closest to me ran out. Anyway, I didn't get much time to play with it but the sequencer is WAY different. I admit that I got frustrated that I couldn't simply record midi notes on the fly just like I always have. I had to create a note track or something like that within the module track just to be able to record midi notes for the module. It's just gonna take some getting used to but the new re groove mixer is so crazy, its worth it and the THOR.....WHoo Wheee......Just skimming though the sounds real quick, i was amazed. I just can't wait to go play with it again cause all i had was about 20 mins to mess with it after installing it.

As far as the sound quality, I pulled up some old beats that I made and they still sound the same to me. No upgrade in the sound quality. HOWEVER, the THOR sound module sounds VERY clean. It can be a little overwhelming with all the controls you have but that's also the beauty of it.
Old 27th September 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
OK...I had to drive 45 mins to get my Reason 4 upgrade cause the 2 GC's closest to me ran out. Anyway, I didn't get much time to play with it but the sequencer is WAY different. I admit that I got frustrated that I couldn't simply record midi notes on the fly just like I always have. I had to create a note track or something like that within the module track just to be able to record midi notes for the module. It's just gonna take some getting used to but the new re groove mixer is so crazy, its worth it and the THOR.....WHoo Wheee......Just skimming though the sounds real quick, i was amazed. I just can't wait to go play with it again cause all i had was about 20 mins to mess with it after installing it.

As far as the sound quality, I pulled up some old beats that I made and they still sound the same to me. No upgrade in the sound quality. HOWEVER, the THOR sound module sounds VERY clean. It can be a little overwhelming with all the controls you have but that's also the beauty of it.
yes the new sequencer does take time getting used to. I beta tested Reason 4 so I spent a good amount of time with it and while I like some of the new additions I don't like how they changed the workflow so much. I hope they make an option for new or classic view in the future for guys like me who simply do not like the new layout
Old 27th September 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
verb1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
Reason's internal PPQ resolution is much higher than other DAW's, including PT and Logic. so when a song's played any point before Bar 1111, there'll be rounding errors.. thereby giving you a drift in the timing.
You know, I've always had problems with rewire (Reason 3 and Sonar 6). I'd try to rewire in a 2 or 4 bar loops from Reason, and the timing would always go off, especially on drum patterns. I guess this explains it.
Old 27th September 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

i dont have those issues when i rewire but i have sonar 4
Old 27th September 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
i dont have those issues when i rewire but i have sonar 4
just do the same test i mentioned in BigBlueLounge thread, and see if you get those issues or not.
Old 27th September 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

i dont recall the thread do you have a link
Old 27th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
i dont recall the thread do you have a link
see post #9
Old 27th September 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
HIGHENDONLY's Avatar
 

I threw my drum machine out the window and got reason 4
Old 27th September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
feyshay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
yes, the trick with reason is to rewire, or better yet run through outboard first, the key being to bypass it's internal mixer completely, going from devices straight to the interface panel at the top.
the eq's don't sound right to me at all, either on the mixer or the individual eq devices. as far as the effects go, i would only mess with the delay and the scream, the rest are subpar.
Let me understand this properly. The rendering of the sample done in a DAW (rewired from Reason) is superior to that done in Rewire? Or does just rewiring it into the DAW improve the sound? If it is the second, I'd be hard pressed to understand why merely rewiring into a DAW host would improve the sound.
I agree with you about some of the effects, much like I would say with most DAW-included effects and VST-synth effects.
Old 27th September 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay View Post
Let me understand this properly. The rendering of the sample done in a DAW (rewired from Reason) is superior to that done in Rewire? Or does just rewiring it into the DAW improve the sound? If it is the second, I'd be hard pressed to understand why merely rewiring into a DAW host would improve the sound.
I agree with you about some of the effects, much like I would say with most DAW-included effects and VST-synth effects.
i think it's in the audio engine - summing of the DAWs.
Old 27th September 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
see post #9
i know about that slight delay you are talking about now. when i began to sequence reason in the daw itself the problem went away. i forgot it did that
Old 27th September 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
irthwirm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Even if they did, I'd still use it through REWIRE. I doubt that sequencers like Reason and FL Studio will ever provide audio quality that matches those found in other DAW programs like Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic, Samplitude, etc........
I'm trying to understand why you would think that FL studio produces lesser "Audio Quality"
Old 27th September 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
I'm trying to understand why you would think that FL studio produces lesser "Audio Quality"
it's a common misconception and one that has been addressed on this board (and elsewhere) multiple times.

cheap buying price doesn't always equal cheap sound quality. don't get it twisted.
Old 27th September 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 

i want reason 4, mainly for thor...but i duno, $130

i know im gonna get it eventually, but not just yet unless im hearing ridiculous things about the new reason.
Old 27th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
irthwirm's Avatar
 

compared to most sequencers it really not that cheap. The biggest bundle is $449. Pro tools is over priced anyway. They can because they are "the industry standard" I only got it cause it just makes life easier as far as jumping around to other studios. Your really paying for the overpriced hardware. You can download the software for 75 dollars... thats not even the upgrade so that's almost cheaper then fl studio. It's okay for recording but that's about it. FL stock sounds are probably the worst but anyone that takes they're music serious doesn't usually use stock sounds anyway.
Old 28th September 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
i want reason 4, mainly for thor...but i duno, $130
but all the 500 pre's are justifiable at prices way higher than $130... hehhehheh
Old 29th September 2007
  #26
Here for the gear
 

MY FIRST POST!!! LOL!

I really like it! THOR is very fresh and is pretty tweakable! Made about three tracks right out of the gate. I used to really dislike 3.0 but the improvements are nice...I like to rewire into Cubase 4, however, the new sequencer is pretty easy to use and the lane feature is nice! Still playing but so far it's fantastic and well worth the upgrade price of 129.00!
Old 30th September 2007
  #27
Here for the gear
 
TheAttriks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Even if they did, I'd still use it through REWIRE. I doubt that sequencers like Reason and FL Studio will ever provide audio quality that matches those found in other DAW programs like Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic, Samplitude, etc........
I still cant figure out how to use REASON with Samplitude.. It makes my head want to explode.. Is there anyplace I can go to get some good step by step intructions on how to use these two together?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Forum Jump
Forum Jump