The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I Need Upgrade Suggestions DAW Software
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

I Need Upgrade Suggestions

My Scenario is this....I have my MPC, Fantom X , and Micro Korg running through my Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer. From here I have the outputs of the mixer to my Digi 003 Rack. I want to improve my setup for around 1000-2000 dollars. Ne one have ne ideas on what i could purchase or change in order to upgrade my sound

would it really make a difference for 1000-2000 bucks or would i need to spend more to really hear a difference

Should I get a differnt pre amp...A/D converter....etc

Thanx alot

P.S. what do u all think of the sonalksis plug-ins
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

api a2d...........
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

cool ne thing else
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

with the api a2d its a str8 mic pre as where some like the Avalon's have built in EQ's and compressors and they ar around the same price....would u still go with the API over something like an Avalon
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWork View Post
....would u still go with the API over something like an Avalon
Yes
Old 13th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodah View Post
Yes
+1
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

i trust you guys but just so I could become more knowledgable....what makes this pre better...what are the characteristics of it also.....cuz if ii cant demo it I would like to know what it sounds like before shellin out the loot
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

api dont sound bad,rosetta dont sound bad either i have about the same setup but i have new pres like the pacifica and the la 610 they mad a big diff over 002 but i still want either api or rosetta.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

WHAT ABOUT YOUR ROOM

WHAT TYPE OF WORK DO YOU DO....MOSTLY RECORDING..PRODUCTION...MIXING...MASTERING...EVERYTHING...?

WHAT DOES YOUR ROOM CONSIST OF...BEDROOM, RENTED LOFT...ACOUSTICLY DESIGNED ROOM....

I WOULD SAY OUT OF ANYTHING THAT I HAVE PURCHASED...THE BIGGEST THING TO UPGRADE MY SOUND I PUT OUT WAS HAVING MY ROOM DESIGNED APPROPRIATLY, AND PURCHASING A PHONIC PAA2 AND A DBX312 EQ TO SWEEP THE ROOM AND CORRECT FREQUENCY PROBLEMS.....IF I A/B THE ROOM WITH CORRECTIONS VS WITHOUT CORRECTIONS....HUGE DIFFERENCE...MORE THAN ANY ONE PIECE OF GEAR COULD ACCOMPLISH.....

THATS WHAT I WOULD SUGGEST...

WHAT TYPE OF MONITORS ARE YOU USING?
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

k my set up is as follows pete:

Akai MPC 2500
Roland Fantom X8
Micro Korg
Technics 1200
Digi 003 R
Imac G5 Core Duo
AT 3035 Mic
Monitors- Maudio BX8a
Mixer- Mackie 1202 VLZ

This is set up in my bedroom.....I work mainly with Hip Hop and Rap....now i normally just use it for pre production and rent out studio time when ready. and get someone with more experience to help me mix it. I am trying to get it where I can at least mix beats in my room and get them sounding great...Im a pretty decent engineer when i comes to this so dont think I am a total novice.....I understand compression and EQ and all the recording jargon just need some secrets here and there to really see the benefits. The only thing was that everyone keeps boasting about outboard analogue gear and how much better it is and so on....so i feel as if im missing out....im sure I can make vast improvements on my room but I dont want to dish out too much money in it because im not sure How long I will be living where I am....so knowing that maybe u could help me out
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Get a $1000 mic pre (Neve/Vintech 1272/API) and a apogee AD-8000 ($800-1000 used) and lightpipe your audio to the 003. IT WILL SOUND GOOD.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

ok

buy a phonic paa2 and a dbx 231 and you will hear a world of differentce when you balence out your room frequencys...this will help your mixes translate better, you to hear you stereo field better and you will really here what your supposed to be mixing....thats my suggestion....it doesnt matter what your signal chain going in is if you are listening to an inaccurate room and playback....just a suggestion...
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

pete

i tried doing this and it didint to work well so im gonna try your suggestion...but i ran pink noise out of my speakeers and recorded it back with a mic into a channel in pro tools.....there i had a spectrum anaylyser on the channel....it showed i had a lack in frequencies and a boost in others....i also analysed the direct pink noise into thee spectrum anaylyser...this gave me where i needed to be......so now i have an image where i lack and where i need to be....i then applyed an eq(not 31 band like u suggest tho) cuz i didnt have one but i wanted to test it out before i droped 500 bucks...it didnt work tooo well but i feel like thats kinda what u want me to do...let me know cuz
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Head

ne thing else

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search