The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure KSM-32 AND WAT MIC PRE Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Shure KSM-32 AND WAT MIC PRE

YO wats good my fellow gearslutz...im tryin to get a good pre for my KSM-32....im tryin to get good vocals...now i kno it aint a SONY C800 or U87...but thats wat im wurkin wit rite now...so if u guys have used dis mic and got good results please feel free to tell me wat pre u used......
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

wow...............umm..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
YO wats good my fellow gearslutz...im tryin to get a good pre for my KSM-32....im tryin to get good vocals...now i kno it aint a SONY C800 or U87...but thats wat im wurkin wit rite now...so if u guys have used dis mic and got good results please feel free to tell me wat pre u used......
depends what sound you are looking for. each pre has its own unique sound. please descirbe what sound you are looking for. if you can put it into words pick out a artist that you listen to that you would like your voice to sound like theres does on a track

MySpace.com - Feedback productions - Kansas City, US - Hip Hop / Indie / Rap - www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions

GET YOU LYRICS RIGHT. MOVE UP NORTH
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Im looking for a sound like...T.I...LIL WAYNE...Clean yet big.....nice color to it.....or a Ludacris nice sound...
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

I USE A KSM 44...

IVE USED MY KSM44 WITH A FOCUSRITE PENTA, A GROOVE TUBES BRICK, A SPL CHANNEL ONE AND A BLUE ROBBIE...

THE PENTA GIVES A NICE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD SOUND...A LITTLE MORE COLORED THAN CRISP...THE SPL CHANNEL ONE WORKS GREAT WITH THE KSM44....A LITTLE TOO AIRY BUT NOT BAD...THE GROOVE TUBES PRE GAVE A VERY FULL SOUND...WOULD WORK GREAT FOR A MAIN VOCAL BUT STACKING TOO MANY OF THESE MAY CREATE A MUDDY MIX....AND THE BLUE SOUNDED VERY CLEAN AND TRANSPARENT...THE VOX SAT WELL IN THE MIX....

OUT OF THOSE I WOULD SUGGEST THE BLUE ROBBIE OR THE SPL CHANNEL ONE
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

i actually used the Focuserite Penta now...Its ok...but its just entry level pre u kno...and the compressor is ok...but its not colored as much as i would like....im tryin to get as close i as i can to a Luda or TI...Sound...or like Nelly did on E.I....cus he used the KSM-32 on there but i dont kno wat pre was used...
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

well these days t.i is sticking with the api7600... can't go wrong with it to be real but you can probably get a lunchbox with 2 good pres, a good comp or 2 and a nice eq or 2...
on a budget the JoeMeek oneQ sounds real nice actually. my partner just got one with a less than great mic and that thing shocked me.. it doesn't sounds bad at all...
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

T.I.'s Vox Chain @ Echo- C800G or U87-> API 7600-> Apogee AD-16X-> Apogee DA-16X-> PT's HD6 Accel

I'm pretty sure he sticks with this similar setup wherever else he goes as well. Sometimes his vox get patched out to the Distressor.

How is the KSM32? We have one but it's never been used for anything. I'm thinking of selling it or using it on instruments, etc...

Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The KSM-32 is ok....da highend is kinda pearcing...so u have to cut on the top end...and also wit me useing a Focusrite Penta...for pre and comp....the vocals dont really have any weight or size to them.....which i kno thats cus of da pre.....I am looking into gettin this for my new vocal chain......

Lunchbox:

pres
Api 512c
Great River MP500-NV
A-designs P1

Eqs
Speck ASC-V EQ:
A Designs Audio EM-PEQ

Optical comp:
Buzz Audio Essence

Mic:
Peluso 2247 le

and im gettin it for da low.....my peoples got da hook up on gear prices...so im only lookin at spendin $2800.00 to $3000.00 for this.... not including da mic...
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
The KSM-32 is ok....da highend is kinda pearcing...so u have to cut on the top end...and also wit me useing a Focusrite Penta...for pre and comp....the vocals dont really have any weight or size to them.....which i kno thats cus of da pre.....I am looking into gettin this for my new vocal chain......

Lunchbox:

pres
Api 512c
Great River MP500-NV
A-designs P1

Eqs
Speck ASC-V EQ:
A Designs Audio EM-PEQ

Optical comp:
Buzz Audio Essence

Mic:
Peluso 2247 le

and im gettin it for da low.....my peoples got da hook up on gear prices...so im only lookin at spendin $2800.00 to $3000.00 for this.... not including da mic...
Good luck w/ that. Let us know how it works out!

Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Shure KSM 32. Used it for years. Funny thing is it sounded great with the lower end FocusRite Platinum Voice Master I think it was called. Tried it with an ART and it sucked. Throw it through a Mackie 24X8 and into a TC Triple C and it wasn't bad. It's a very good mic, but it is very clear and the top end is very precise.
If you want warm it's not the best.

My two cents
Antagonist
www.myspace.com/leftcoastrider
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Maniac

yea thats da problem....i want warm vocals...wit size and weight to them....and da KSM-32... thin.......does anyone no wat pre Nelly used wit it wen he dud E.I...cus he used dat mic for da song

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search