The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody got an Apogee Duet? Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttptp View Post
New question.... I thought duet was only for recording, why would someone need it on stage? For mics?
lots of cats use a DAW in live stage performances... Ableton, Serato, et al especially...

im sure there are other applications as well. that area aint my bag tho ..
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
New question.... I thought duet was only for recording, why would someone need it on stage? For mics?
To get sound out of their laptops?
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
perhaps if you're playing back tracks out or if you're using software FX on stage - it's the way forward you know
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Nut

Got one

I picked one up because I have an Ensemble and liked it so much. I needed a small, portable bus powered solution for some live use. It really sounds about the same as the ensemble. The mic pre's are totally useable much like the ones on the Ensemble. I've got lots of other pre's that I use most of the time, but the Apogees will work well on most things if you just need a clean pre. I do wish it had balanced outs, but it wouldn't be as small if it did. It forces me to use a DI live with it to connect to the snake. It can also hang off my firewire chain and add two more inputs/outputs to my Ensemble when configured with the Ensemble as an aggregate audio device. I'd highly recommend it. Apogee makes great sounding stuff. Really tight integration with OSX as well.

Pete
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I love my duet, solid NO PROBLEMS.

BUT : I LOVE IT even more since I got the GRACE M101 added as an external pre.
some one here said they were equal but I find the graces gets a more detailed sound that I liked more than the DUET.

Personally I think that is a great starting chain, DUET: plua Grace M101, or lunchbox API if you can afford it.
Old 13th September 2008
Here for the gear

Duet with MOYU 896hd

I am interested in getting a duet for 2 ad converters are they better that the 896HD converters?
Old 13th September 2008
Here for the gear

Duet with MOTU 896HD

....also I have 2 channels of Trident 65 board pre & EQ's and a Trident s100 will the pre's be better in the Duet or with the Trident?
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithachrist View Post
I am interested in getting a duet for 2 ad converters are they better that the 896HD converters?
way better imo. (cleaner)

i have both (trying to sell the motu)
Old 30th September 2008
Here for the gear

?

I was thinking of selling my Digi 002
and getting the Apogee Duet
Logic Pro is rockin my world and pro tools seem to be a pain to just think free in...

I am on the fence about this move
but the clarity of the duet has left a impression on me

some one slap me and tell me im wrong....
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofifreq View Post
I was thinking of selling my Digi 002
and getting the Apogee Duet
Logic Pro is rockin my world and pro tools seem to be a pain to just think free in...

I am on the fence about this move
but the clarity of the duet has left a impression on me

some one slap me and tell me im wrong....
sorry, you're actually right. heh
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundProofStudio View Post
I believe so... I had bought a focusrite channel strip and once I plug the out into the duets mic line the pre's automatically were bypassed..
Are you guys sure about this? I was assuming that when I bought an external mic pre I was going to go into one of the instrument ins... am I wrong?
Old 30th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Are you guys sure about this? I was assuming that when I bought an external mic pre I was going to go into one of the instrument ins... am I wrong?
you go in the mic ins but you have to select line in (-10 or +4) in the software

narco
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
you go in the mic ins but you have to select line in (-10 or +4) in the software

narco
What would happen if I went into the instrument in?
Old 30th September 2008

I haven't tried it, but I imagine you would get sound, but it wouldn't be ideal as the impedances will be mismatched

narco
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear
Has anybody gone from a Fireface 400 to a Duet for Sound Quality? I have owned RME and Apogee before and I always thought the Apogee clocking was better. How does the Duet compare to the Metric Halo Uln-2:

Jazztone
Old 30th September 2008
Here for the gear

Apogee Duet A/B test with Digi 002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
sorry, you're actually right. heh
I got my Duet & man it is rocking!!
So clean sounding and I got a 3rd party Duet breakout box
that has real clean XLR and 1/4 inch inputs

I am doing a A/B test with some tones, songs and noise
with my Digi 002 and the duet.
I have to say the duet and logic are very intuitive together.
its great that if you unplug your system with your session still up it will not crash!
just a little pop up that says "yo.. its unplugged but its all cool buddy" well not literally but you get the drift.
Old 22nd November 2008
Here for the gear

Hello slutz!!!

Is the headphoneamp useful? Does it "sound" better than the macbook headphone outs?
Old 23rd November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcferrison View Post
Hello slutz!!!

Is the headphoneamp useful? Does it "sound" better than the macbook headphone outs?
Haven't got a Macbook so can't compare, but the Duet Headphone out definitely sounds good. It's clear, got enough level, and has a good frequency response.
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcferrison View Post
Hello slutz!!!

Dramatically less muddy.
Old 29th December 2008
Here for the gear

Hi guys I just ordered the Duet. My question is do I need (in the near future) to buy a ad/da convertor or is the duet a ad/da convertor already?
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjakie View Post
Hi guys I just ordered the Duet. My question is do I need (in the near future) to buy a ad/da convertor or is the duet a ad/da convertor already?
yes thats what an audio interface is
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, it IS a 2 channel ad/da converter. You do not have the option to add more ad/da inputs/outputs through adat like other interfaces.

The apogee duet is about the nicest 2 channel ad/da converter in the price range. I love mine. Kills my 1814, but I will keep it around so I can open Pro Tools sessions.
Old 29th December 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
Yes, it IS a 2 channel ad/da converter. You do not have the option to add more ad/da inputs/outputs through adat like other interfaces.

The apogee duet is about the nicest 2 channel ad/da converter in the price range. I love mine. Kills my 1814, but I will keep it around so I can open Pro Tools sessions.
Thanks!
Can you compare the ad/da conversion with the rosetta?
Old 31st December 2008
Lives for gear

Great interface, sounds great, easy to use after going from a firestudio to a duet, its night and day. Plus it has Apogee converters. +1
Old 31st December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Has anyone tried running this at the same time on the same mac as another interface? Say a FF400? Possible? Feasible?
Aggregate Device!
Old 31st December 2008
Quote:
Thanks!
Can you compare the ad/da conversion with the rosetta?
They share the same dual stage clock, but sadly, no, they are in different leagues altogether. You can compare them, but I'm sure you'll find more dynamic range with a Rosetta 800. The Rosetta and AD/DA16x series converters are bettttter Apogee offerings.
Old 29th January 2009
Here for the gear

I just recieve my apogee duet yesterday. It sounds good, but I feel a little fragil the encoder knob. Does your Duets encoder knob do this little movement? (just only with a soft push)

http://gickr.com/results/anim_a8bc68...7f47c63619.gif

Please, what do you think? I don't know if it is normal.
Thanks
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

it looks like you can see under the knob from the side?
if this is correct than i cantell you that my encoder duet know is definitly every time below the unit surface.
on the other side. if it doesnt fall of?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Hmmm..

I have a Metric Halo 2882. Love the sound of course (makes MOTU sound like cardboard), and yes its buss powered and portable, but want something perhaps even "more" portable for hotel rooms and my macbook. (2882 gets used with my G5).

Opinions? Worth it, or should I just start "lugging" around the 2882?

Yes this is sort of a silly question. I know if Henry Robinett read this post he'd ask me if I was crazy...

Anyone want to take a crack at comparing MH sound to the converters in the duet?
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Head

No Answer

astronmr20 "Hmmm..

I have a Metric Halo 2882. Love the sound of course (makes MOTU sound like cardboard), and yes its buss powered and portable, but want something perhaps even "more" portable for hotel rooms and my macbook. (2882 gets used with my G5).

Opinions? Worth it, or should I just start "lugging" around the 2882?

Yes this is sort of a silly question. I know if Henry Robinett read this post he'd ask me if I was crazy...

Anyone want to take a crack at comparing MH sound to the converters in the duet?"

I have not actually done a comparison as far as converters go, but from what I hear of others doing the comparison, the Apogee Ensemble blows the MH 2882 out of the water. If this is the case, and the Apogee Duet has the same converters as the Ensemble, than I would go with the Duet. ***But you have to remember that sound is all in personal preference, there is no technically BETTER converter*** -Another thing that I have heard is that the Apogee product converters don't let the highs shine through as much as people would like, but this could be fixed with EQ

And just for everyone to see, check out this preamp shootout that proves that most of music is relative to a specific situation/ear:

Microphone preamplifiers - can *YOU* hear the difference? (with audio)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search