The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody got an Apogee Duet? Audio Interfaces
Old 6th June 2008
Lives for gear

"Not going Mac v. PC here, but I still haven't found a compelling reason to use a PC in the studio (cost isn't an issue imho in a professional environment). I'm sure the basic drivers will come along at some point, but it does make sense."

IMHO...Thats just funny to me...as I own both and have a main machine that is a PC that I custom built (cost wasn't an issue either - hopefully that puts me in the "professional environment" status heh) thats just rock solid and does the job well (very well)...but hey - Apple got wise too and went Intel
Old 6th June 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilts27 View Post
If you are talking about running a FF400 and Duet at the same time, then yes - it is possible due to aggregated devices in apple's core - but don't see why you would. I would just get one solid interface with more I/O for the price of that combination.
Well, I've already got the FF400 and quite like it. The thought is to get some 2 channel better AD for putting mixes down from a desk and for overdubbing and I was originally thinking Mytek 96. But this little puppy gives me DA that is probably better than the FF400 and a couple of micpre's, whether exciting or just decent, for nothing.......

And I was thinking 'has anyone run these together'', as in 'any problems in the reality of it?' as opposed to it's supposed to work......many things are supposed to work. Experience says believe when you witness it working.heh
Old 6th June 2008
cpu
Gear Addict

I've had mine for a couple months...i love it EVERY DAY!
To answer some of the above questions:

I use it with external pres all the time.....mostly my Chandler Germs, but my Solo 610 sometimes as well.
Yes, you can use it with another firewire interface at the same time. (although the duet only has one firewire port, so you need to get creative on how you hook things up, especially if you've got other firewire devices as well.)
Definitely a great purchase. I just got my Duet Carry bag from Mercenary this week so i can take it with me on vacation next week!
Old 7th June 2008
Lives for gear

anyone wanna trade my motu896 HD for a lil duet?

eh eh ? heh
Old 7th June 2008
Gear Guru

I was wondering about someone actually having DONE IT, not it being possible in theory as I'm already aware of that. The words 'kernel panic' come to mind.........is it a happy experience????? And the Ensemble seems to have a bit of a problem with delay when routing stuff out and back in.....Duet? Because my Fireface is not afflicted like that in any way, and I'm rather fond of the ability to reprint stuff without problems.....
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

WHY DOES THIS NOT HAVE MIDI!!!!!!!!!

ok, I feel better now
Old 11th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HENNYTHABIZNESS View Post
HA! Maestro getting me outta hiding!!!

But yeah, the duet is by far one of the best pieces of gear I bought this year!!!
ain't ya mpc dudes? Nice job on that new LL SIngle though.... why is it that so many say duet and logic pro.. is it really that good. I mean as far as sound. Does it enhance logic's sound...?
Old 29th June 2008
Here for the gear

attention all duet owners

if your reading this forum you already know about the duet....here is its future partner. check it out. duet: BREAKOUT
let me know what you guys think.
Old 29th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideawakE View Post
WHY DOES THIS NOT HAVE MIDI!!!!!!!!!

ok, I feel better now
I wish it had 1 MIDI I/O, 4 balanced I/O, SPDIF I/O as channels 5-6, and 2 routable headphone outs (any stereo output or an independent dedicated headphone bus).

But I still love it anyway.
Old 29th June 2008
Duet is the shiznit. I have used it every day for 6 months and it is flawless. Its great for itunes too, and I am not worried about the breaout cable.
Old 29th June 2008
Lives for gear

i agree, great unit however i'm peed that we can't use the volume control to control the playhead in logic like we're supposed to be able!! what gives?
Old 29th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duetbreakout View Post
if your reading this forum you already know about the duet....here is its future partner. check it out. duet: BREAKOUT
let me know what you guys think.
looks really interesting. wonder what apogee will say?? if it checks out good, ill get one. i love the duet
Old 9th July 2008
Gear Nut

i love my duet.
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

the duet breakoutbox looks really interesting!!!

i have no problems here but this one seems to be a solid solution for future problems..
Old 29th July 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Seeing that 95% of people who are professionally doing audio use Mac, that's where i'd put my efforts if I were Apogee. Part of it is (rather like BMW) that they want to do a long-term upsell to their higher end products later on for you. Those are all targeted at professionals.

Not going Mac v. PC here, but I still haven't found a compelling reason to use a PC in the studio (cost isn't an issue imho in a professional environment). I'm sure the basic drivers will come along at some point, but it does make sense.

Of course this wouldn't run with Protools! It's not Apogee's fault. It's that digi locks in the hardware.
where you get that number.. 95%.. i dont think so !!!
in my country most of recording studio using PC.. 95% PC..
NOT MAC..

i think you've made wrong quote !! dfegad
Old 2nd August 2008
Lives for gear

Also love my Duet thumbsup
Old 2nd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyindonesia View Post
NOT MAC..

im pretty sure he's talking about american music ... and from my experience working in a lot of studios, i cant tell you the last time i have even seen a pc in a studio.

personally, ive decided to pick up a duet this weekend. my motu firewire connectors just **** the bed and their tech support was horrible and arrogant the entire time ... fuk motu.

i cant wait!
Old 2nd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
personally, ive decided to pick up a duet this weekend.
Good choice!

The only thing i hate about it are the unbalanced -10-Outputs!

But if you can live with that it's a great piece of gear!
Old 2nd August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Supply View Post
Can it be used with Pro Tools?
No you cannot!
Old 2nd August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
NOT MAC..

Third world country?
For some of them Even PC is expensive thing!heh
Old 3rd August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-bax View Post
Third world country?
For some of them Even PC is expensive thing!heh
(i didnt wanna say it )
Old 3rd August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
NOT MAC..

If you're talking about Indonesia, which your name indicates, then i have to say, that Indonesia is pretty much outside the standard world wide. And thats not ment negative :-)
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

how about the duet vs the minime? Or even the duet verse the sparrow by black lion which i guess doesn't have pre's in it but how do the converters match up if anyone has had a chance to hear both?
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

i have a pc, but im not recording in a professional environment. Could somebody tell me how the duet connects to the computer/mac? And how much difference in sonud would it make to someone whose using a roland mmp-2 as a convertor.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygee View Post
If you're talking about Indonesia, which your name indicates, then i have to say, that Indonesia is pretty much outside the standard world wide. And thats not ment negative :-)
ok bro im sorry i was drunk when i wrote my opinion :(
im sorry to you guys who get hurt from me..

btw.. pyramix software only support PC..
what do you guys think.. is not Mac
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

WHOA!

Just got the Duet yesterday and let me just say that it's kinda surpassed my already high expectations.

My thoughts:

1. Much, much more clarity on the low end in the kick / sub relationship. Kicks are slamming now and not gettin eaten up by the sub.

2. So much sparkle and shine on the high end without being harsh. I had a sound in one of our tracks that was almost a little piercing and just tracking it off the G into Logic made it sound smoother somehow. Hard to explain.

3. Tons of headroom, super easy to use... the spacial of the track and all that ... wow ...

If anyone cares to check out a beat mixed with the Duet... Go to the Royalty website in my sig and listen to "Showboating" and then compare it to any of the other beats.

I think it's a MAJOR difference. Money very well spent IMO.
Old 9th September 2008
Here for the gear

Could someone please explain the problems with the breakout cables? I'm new to recording and don't understand the problem..... Someone posted a link to a nifty looking breakout box custom made for the duet, is this worth getting?
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttptp View Post
Could someone please explain the problems with the breakout cables? I'm new to recording and don't understand the problem..... Someone posted a link to a nifty looking breakout box custom made for the duet, is this worth getting?
It's not a problem, they can just get a lil tangled up if you arent very organized or transporting loosely in a bag. The cables/connectors, from what i can tell, are very high quality and ive had zero issues with them. they're properly labeled and even have them paired (grouped) up...

breakout box just might look (if it was done cosmetically like the duet) more professional for those on stage. anyone bitching about the cables just needs something to nitpick cuz for $500 nothin touches the Duet imo.
Old 9th September 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
It's not a problem, they can just get a lil tangled up if you arent very organized or transporting loosely in a bag. The cables/connectors, from what i can tell, are very high quality and ive had zero issues with them. they're properly labeled and even have them paired (grouped) up...

breakout box just might look (if it was done cosmetically like the duet) more professional for those on stage. anyone bitching about the cables just needs something to nitpick cuz for $500 nothin touches the Duet imo.
thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 10th September 2008
Here for the gear

New question.... I thought duet was only for recording, why would someone need it on stage? For mics?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search