The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you could only own 1 pre which wold it be?? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

If you could only own 1 pre which wold it be??

Basically right now I have a bunch of decent prosumer pre's. I want to replace them with one (2 channel) pre, that would sound good on vocals, MPC, keys, guitar, bass. Something you could cut a whole album with, if you had to. Down the road, I plan on making my pre collection more diverse, but there's a lot of other gear I need to buy before I do that.

So, since I'll be running everything through it, I guess Im looking for not too clean, not too dirty, or even better, something thats capable of both clean and dirty.

Musically, I do mostly hip hop and triphop. When it comes to hiphop, Im not into that squeaky clean timbo/storch thing. Im more into the Dilla/Madlib/Dan the Automater sound. For triphop, its portishead all the way.

As of right now, Im leaning towards the API ADI2 (since Im using a Digi002, and could benefit from the convertors).

Also, my price cap is $2000ish, so 1073s, DW Fearns, SSLs, etc. are out of the question
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

API 3124+
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

API A2D
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

is there a difference in pre's in the A2D and 3124+?

(I just realized in my original post I called the API A2D an ADI2 which is by RME, OMG LMAO)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

They are the same preamps except that with A2D you get 2 and the 3124+ you get 4 pre's.

With the A2D you can use it as the clock source, which I do via spdif, as well as the converters.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thats what I thought. Im definately only looking for 2 channels right now, so the A2D is still in the lead.

From your experience with the unit, do you think it will suit my needs?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

A pair of Vipre's would cost too much so I guess I'd go with some API's in a lunchbox.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Yeah, the lunch box seems like a great idea. I could get 2 channels now, and then fill it with different flavors down the road.

but then on my shortlist of things to buy would be some convertors.

How do the convertors in the A2D hold up to the RME ADI stuff? (apogee is out of my range). From what Ive read both will be a big improvement to the ones in my 002, but how do they compare to each other?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

wow, lots of support for api here!

And the 2:1 switch acutally works in a good way? Unlike the "Tube" saturation knob in my presonus.

That would be ideal, since Im only going to be using one unit on all sorces, at least Id get some tonal variation.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Forsell Fetcode
hold out and save up the extra 750 you'll need...
Old 13th September 2007

A2D.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

API is awesome..but you said something dirty and clean...Chandler TG 2 will give you both...has colour even clean...can be really nasty (in a great way) API won't get nasty.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

my old

amek 9098 pre. or my vac rack
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

i've had my eye on the A2D for a while...i might pick it up eventually, i dont think you would be unhappy at all with it...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

You cant have a man only choose 1 pre are you crazy???? lol

If I could only own 1 pre I wouldnt really be too picky on what it was, as long as it sounded smooth and added a lot of weight to what ever I track through it.

Now when it comes to mics, thats a whole other story.......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search