The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How NOT to land an internship Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

How NOT to land an internship

I try not to rant much, but there are probably enough of you reading these boards to hopefully take some benefit from this. HOW NOT TO LAND AN INTERNSHIP.

I honestly dont know what on Earth some guys are thinking when they approach me trying to get internships. This type of approach has become such a common occurance that i think it should be addressed here. I just got this email. This is very typical of the approach most guys use when asking me for internships. here's the email, some info has been changed to protect the sender......
Hey whats going on.....i graduated from [who cares audio school] in 06 and now im currently interning @ [big major label] Records And i have been there for 1 year.....But as I see that i love the Admin side of things in music i also have a passion for the studio work.....im deciated to just learning from someone with knowlegde....so i was wondering if i could grab a little internship from you ????

This is the ENTIRE email. let me point out a few things.

- he did not address me by name
- he did not even give his own name!!!!!!! Who the hell am i hiring????
- he's speaking to me like we're old friends instead of with the professionality of an employer employee relationship
- his grammar is horrendous
- he provides no resume
- he provides no references
- he provides no contact info
- he tells me why it would be a good internship for him "i'm dedicated to just learning from someone with knowledge", but gives me absolutely no reason why it would be a good deal for me. "i'm a hard worker", "i make great coffee and run errands faster than fed ex", nothing.
- he completely belittles the internship by saying "could i grab a little internship from you" HOLY CRAP!
Yeah, when i think about who i want to employ, who i want around my clients, who i would trust to work in my studio, who i think would work hard and take the job seriously, my first thought is to hire the guy who wants to grab a little internship.

I'm not trying to single this guy out, and he shall remain anonymous, however, this is typical of the way the majority of people approach me for internships. Here are a few tips

- An internship is a JOB. treat it like its a JOB. your not getting paid in money, but you'll be paid in knowledge, experience, possibly credits, working in a professional environment, building your resume, all of which is far more valuable than your typical audio school or pro tools certificate.

- Be PROFESSIONAL. I dont want you around my clients or my studio if you cannot carry yourself professionally.

- provide a resume and cover letter, and references when you first contact someone for an internship

- have a professional sounding email address. if your email is [email protected], i'm not hiring you.

- ask for an interview. Do you think your going to send me one email and i'm going to hire you on the spot? NEVER. I will call your references. if they check out, i'll ask you in for an interview, probably along with ten or twenty other guys.

I could go on and on, but i have records to make, and i think the point is made. If your serious about landing a record industry job, treat it like its the most important job you could go for. One thing is absolutely certain. If i had not worked the two internships that i worked, i would have never gotten to where i am now. period. I'd be doing some other field entirely.
-Ken Lewis
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ken,

That's some really good info for someone looking to intern cause i'm sure you're not the only person that guy has sent that email too. Some guys think that cause "it's just music or it's hip hop" that you don't have to be professional about certain things. They think they can come into an interview or in your case, send an email and speak that street slang cause they're not technically in an office.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Ken, what are the two intern positions that you worked previously?
Old 10th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
- have a professional sounding email address. if your email is [email protected], i'm not hiring you.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

lol this should be common sense, i guess some ppl just dont think before they open there mouths or in this case write emails.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

I make those who want to intern for me read this gem I compiled from rec.audio.pro a few years back... starring a few Gearslutz regulars:

Am I Getting Annoying? and I got another question for the Music Engineers.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile255 View Post
lol this should be common sense,

agreed. but thanks for venting Ken, i got a good laugh heh
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermix View Post
I make those who want to intern for me read this gem I compiled from rec.audio.pro a few years back... starring a few Gearslutz regulars:

this was hilarious man that pdf file.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I worked as a headhunter for a legal placement firm for a while.
What's amazing is how unprofessional some lawyers, paralegals, and legal admins can be!
Many of their submissions weren't much better. If anything, they were more cocky and their errors were even more egregious. They should have known better.

Some of this **** on resumes included:

-Every social club they had joined since 1965
-Their high school's name and GPA... in 1980.
-Their wife's name
-Names and ages of their children
-The fact that they like sailing, golf or something else worthless to put on a resume
-Demands in the objective like, "A position that I can have fridays off"
-Asking for waaay more than they deserved paywise, or wanting overly flexible terms of employement (wanting to work every other day from home on the South Shore, and taking their kids to work)
-Horrid spelling errors
-Using every font short of WingDingz on their resume
-Not putting contact information in the cover letter/resume
-etc...

These were people that had gone to decent law schools, but they were often horrid on the phone, tactless, arrogant, stupid, unreliable, liars (imagine that), and often just hard people to deal with.

I'm sure this kid is thinking, "I'm keeping it real... like Myspace"
Old 10th September 2007
no ssl yet
YES people have to THINK.

I love strippers but I think if a stripper is looking for a clothed job she shouldn't include her [email protected] email address.

THINK people.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

unless you receive like 25 emails like that a day i think you'r reaction is a little out of proportion.
maybe you need some time off?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
this was hilarious man that pdf file.
Ya gotta love how Fletcher was the first to get at the dude...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya gotta love how Fletcher was the first to get at the dude...

yeah d feel real skeptical if you made me read that though for an intern lol.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
unless you receive like 25 emails like that a day i think you'r reaction is a little out of proportion.
na man still though you need to be professional man just because its hip hop and youre just probably gonna sit all day till its time for cofee and just because you probably where what you want or look how you want dont assume you dont have to be professional.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post

aww, don't be mad he put you on blast heh
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
yeah d feel real skeptical if you made me read that though for an intern lol.
heh

Might be long but a lot of good stuff for those who may choose this path...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
heh

Might be long but a lot of good stuff for those who may choose this path...
dont get me wrong but good thought change. ppl going in yeah im gonna learn some mixing and do nothing all day bam read this scare the **** out of them lol.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post

Treat people well and they'll do anything for you. Treat them like **** and they'll do just enough to keep you off of their ass.
i like your statement and i would love to see that in real life but the past proved me to be wrong with that (and i´m only 24!).

only the wise men will live with this attitude.

now count how many are out there??!

often people wants to get treated like **** because they need an asskick for themself. if you give them too much freedom they will eat you by day.

but as i said before i love this attitude.
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
this is typical of the way the majority of people approach me for internships
wow. Do you deal with mostly hip-hop artists or something?
Quote:

haha! I love that. Also reminds me of when online "forums" were awesome, and a flame was usually the first response, regardless of how valid a post was. thumbsup
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Reading a couple of fletchers responses in that pdf made me feel a little sick.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
That's because you're too sensitive.

This is the way it is boys and girls. Only people who can tolerate their ego's being CRUSHED will make it in this business. You think the engineers are bad? Try working with major recording artists.
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:

i think the best part about this is that the attitudes in it are the exact reason why the "big studio"s are a thing of the past and everybody is learning how to do it themselves
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
You think the engineers are bad? Try working with major recording artists.

Yeah. Don't even get me started on this one!heh
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

dang homie...,,,,..... does this mean i dont get the little job?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
That's because you're too sensitive.

This is the way it is boys and girls. Only people who can tolerate their ego's being CRUSHED will make it in this business. You think the engineers are bad? Try working with major recording artists.
The trick is not to have an ego in this business until you have actually earned one.

Small guys with big egos dont last long in the business, because no one wants to deal with egotistic ppl, and to make it worse, the small guy barely has any credit to his name yet.

This business is no place for egos at all IMO. Its good to be confident, but to over-bull**** and try to act "BAD" when you are not, is just plain stupid and exposes you as being a fraud.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Funny, they made me laugh and say... "Wow, it's so true!"
Welcome to the world of studios, 2007.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

eh, i dont know. that first guy on the pdf was pretty funny, but it doesnt HAVE to be like that. The best/most accomplished guys i know were always the nicest to me when i was an intern. It was always the guys that felt they needed to PROVE they were somebody that said **** like that guy on the pdf. As a matter of fact, my boss who is SUPER accomplished not only put up with me expressing my ideas and opinions, but would consider them and encourage me. He always approached me like he was asking a favor when he needed something. Granted i've definately been treated like crap by some pretty big name guys, but usually people were pretty cool.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
It was always the guys that felt they needed to PROVE they were somebody that said ****

thats how that dude Fletcher always came off to me. other than hawk some gear, what has he done? all i know is he's all over the internet.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
The trick is not to have an ego in this business until you have actually earned one.

Small guys with big egos dont last long in the business, because no one wants to deal with egotistic ppl, and to make it worse, the small guy barely has any credit to his name yet.

This business is no place for egos at all IMO. Its good to be confident, but to over-bull**** and try to act "BAD" when you are not, is just plain stupid and exposes you as being a fraud.
thumbsup
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
thats how that dude Fletcher always came off to me. other than hawk some gear, what has he done? all i know is he's all over the internet.
I think he tests gerad for mercenary audio...don't know more about this dude.
Everytime I read a post from him I'm like "who is this guy?".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search