The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How NOT to land an internship Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 29th March 2011
Gear Addict

I could never slave like that. I was too spoiled as a kid.
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Nut

Great thread!! Very helpful for aspiring interns.

Would it be beneficial to send a cover letter with a resume? I'm sure some would read it and other would throw it in the garbage.

Also, is emailing engineers resumes a good idea? Or do they just get deleted along with other flood of possible intern requests?
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyrader View Post
Great thread!! Very helpful for aspiring interns.

Would it be beneficial to send a cover letter with a resume? I'm sure some would read it and other would throw it in the garbage.

Also, is emailing engineers resumes a good idea? Or do they just get deleted along with other flood of possible intern requests?
WOW!!!! This thread got resurrected from the vaults. YES!!!! SEND A COVER LETTER!!! Not only send a cover letter, but take the 5 minutes it takes to research who and where you are sending your cover letter and resume to, and attempt to write your cover letter directly to them, tell them a little bit about WHY you want to work for THEM. I'll tell you what gets thrown away when i get them is form cover letters and form resumes that dont target me. Why should i, as a boss who runs a successful company - and has a good pool of talent to hire from - want to hire someone who just wants to work anywhere instead of the person who wants to work HERE.

And god help me, if you hit me on twitter or facebook looking for a job, you would be automatically rejected. If you sent me an email that wasnt highly professional, you would be automatically rejected. if you treat me like i'm a peer, or send me an email similar to something you'd send a friend, trash can. it absolutely shocks me nowadays some of the ways i get approached by people looking for work. absolutely clueless. not everybody, but unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of people who approach me looking for work do not have the first clue how to land a job. If you can write an impactful cover letter and resume, you are already in the 90% percentile of entry level job applicants in this field before i've even read your letter.

Having said that, i am not hiring now or in the forseeable future, no resumes please, not even ones with well written cover lettersheh
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
WOW!!!! This thread got resurrected from the vaults. YES!!!! SEND A COVER LETTER!!! Not only send a cover letter, but take the 5 minutes it takes to research who and where you are sending your cover letter and resume to, and attempt to write your cover letter directly to them, tell them a little bit about WHY you want to work for THEM. I'll tell you what gets thrown away when i get them is form cover letters and form resumes that dont target me. Why should i, as a boss who runs a successful company - and has a good pool of talent to hire from - want to hire someone who just wants to work anywhere instead of the person who wants to work HERE.

And god help me, if you hit me on twitter or facebook looking for a job, you would be automatically rejected. If you sent me an email that wasnt highly professional, you would be automatically rejected. if you treat me like i'm a peer, or send me an email similar to something you'd send a friend, trash can. it absolutely shocks me nowadays some of the ways i get approached by people looking for work. absolutely clueless. not everybody, but unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of people who approach me looking for work do not have the first clue how to land a job. If you can write an impactful cover letter and resume, you are already in the 90% percentile of entry level job applicants in this field before i've even read your letter.

Having said that, i am not hiring now or in the forseeable future, no resumes please, not even ones with well written cover lettersheh
This all started because of me......
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ryan View Post
This all started because of me......
are you the "grab a little internship" guy? If so, i think one hell of alot of people should be thanking you, as you were the straw that broke the camels back and made me write this Thread, which i think has been a wake up call for alot of people. So, thanks for wanting to grab a little internship. I hope that was the first and last time you tried that approachhehheh
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Wow. I literally just laid here in my bed since 2:30 AM reading this ENTIRE 7 page thread. It is now 3:32 AM lol. Man, I've learned so much on how to approach engineers for an internship tonight. I have a pretty good idea on how/what to do but if I'm missing something, please let me know Ken.

When sending an email for an internship, always include:

1) Name of exact engineer you are trying to contact, address them directly.
2) Your name and all contact info
3) Resume
4) Cover letter showing how eager you are to learn and how willing you are to do whatever it takes to help the engineer on any given day with any given task.
5) References (people for the engineer to call for info about you). This would be the school you're attending or graduated from and any professional studio that you may have worked at, right?
6) BE HUMBLE & PROFESSIONAL

Should I always make at least 1 phone call asking to speak directly with the engineer about an interview for an internship? Interns are for people wanting to become engineer assistants (and eventually engineers), so I'm assuming I should NOT say anything about me being a rapper/singer/producer, right? How long should an email be?

I'm almost done with a audio program and will be looking for internships soon so I'm trying to prepare, lol. I want to present myself in the most professional manner I can and prove that I am the most eager student applying for the spot out there.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
are you the "grab a little internship" guy? If so, i think one hell of alot of people should be thanking you, as you were the straw that broke the camels back and made me write this Thread, which i think has been a wake up call for alot of people. So, thanks for wanting to grab a little internship. I hope that was the first and last time you tried that approachhehheh
Yup that was me..... That was the first and last time I did that and I ended up getting an internship at a major recording studio, I even ran into you there and
Spoke to you for a while but I never brought up the topic up. It was quite interesting. heh. Moved on and worked with some of the most powerful people in music today and still keeping it trucking.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yup that was me..... That was the first and last time I did that and I ended up getting an internship at a major recording studio, I even ran into you there and
Spoke to you for a while but I never brought up the topic up. It was quite interesting. heh. Moved on and worked with some of the most powerful people in music today and still keeping it trucking.
Are you actually being serious? lol Seriously?
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Are you actually being serious? lol Seriously?
Is a Fat Baby Heavy.......Yes. Dead serious.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear
Thats the F'in greatest **** I have heard all week. lmao!
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
BEST. STORY. EVER.

What studio did i meet you at?

So glad to hear you are doing well!!
-Ken
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
BEST. STORY. EVER.

-Ken
You guna give the man a little job already or what?
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds to me like he's doing just fine.
Old 16th January 2012
Gear Maniac

If you're asking for an internship...

phone call or e-mail?

this thread is great btw.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just a bit of thread humor. Good to see a happy ending to this thread. Hope your doing well O'Ryan
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
BEST. STORY. EVER.

-Ken
Daddy House.
Quote:
I still would sit in and absorb whatever I can.
Quote:
Everyone could be doing better but Im loving my progression so far.
Quote:
Just a bit of thread humor. Good to see a happy ending to this thread. Hope your doing well O'Ryan
Thanks bro.
Old 17th January 2012
SEED78
speechless!
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

Nice thread
Old 29th March 2013
Here for the gear

Today I received a call on the studio phone from a recent audio school grad requesting me by name. Told him to send me an email with resume attached. He addressed the email "to whom this may concern"
WIN!
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Addict

So how many people are going to email O-ryan asking if you "can grab a little internship" if he becomes a big shot?
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubitvision View Post
Today I received a call on the studio phone from a recent audio school grad requesting me by name. Told him to send me an email with resume attached. He addressed the email "to whom this may concern"
WIN!
WOW! His attention to detail is astounding. Don't you want him around your clients?
Old 30th March 2013
Gear Nut

Haha, that email made my laugh. Anyways, good info. Bookmarking thread. Thanks.
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
BEST. STORY. EVER.

-Ken
That guy trolled the **** out of you Ken
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStrange View Post
Trolling me? I dont get it. I've been trolled by the best of them, he isnt trolling. this seems like a great result to the story, and shows to me how effective re-directing someone who is otherwise smart can be. Alot of people just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIMobster View Post
So how many people are going to email O-ryan asking if you "can grab a little internship" if he becomes a big shot?
Lol......Would probably just point them to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStrange View Post
Trolling.....Lmao.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search