The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How NOT to land an internship Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 18th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule30 View Post
Sorry about that! I ment how to get the job as an intern. Seeing as you guys must go through this a lot, how do you/or studios in general go about finding and hiring a runner/intern?
And what would be some advice you would give to those crazy enough to attemptheh
Umm...pretty simple. Send a resume, make sure you've spelled everything correctly and used proper grammar (this is a biggie with me!!), and don't try to impress the studio with what records you've recorded or your fancy website, cuz they don't care.

Follow up with a phone call, and patiently wait to hear back. It's just like getting any other professional job (except this one rarely paysheh). You just need to present yourself as a competent, intelligent, hard-working, and HUMBLE person. If you can manage all that, then trust me, your miles ahead of 90% of the applicants I hear from.
Old 19th January 2009
Gear Head

No pay...impossible odds of being picked or making it at all....long hours with a lot of pressure... sweet jeez im excited
its gonna be a long one
Old 19th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule30 View Post
No pay...impossible odds of being picked or making it at all....long hours with a lot of pressure... sweet jeez im excited
its gonna be a long one
It's not as bad as it sounds. The good guys almost always seem to succeed. From my limited experience as "the boss", I can ALWAYS spot which intern(s) will make it. I know most of my studio owner and engineer buddies can, too.

Work hard, be cool, be consistent (this is huge!), and be irreplaceable, and you'll find work.
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Work hard, be cool, be consistent (this is huge!), and be irreplaceable, and you'll find work.
No better advice could be had anywhere concerning interning......thumbsup
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You just need to present yourself as a competent, intelligent, hard-working, and HUMBLE person.
How does one do that exactly? Soon I'll graduate from a 4 year university with a degree in recording, and I'm worried that people will look at that on my resume and think "hmm... college boy know-it-all"... when I'm really quite humble.
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken View Post
How does one do that exactly? Soon I'll graduate from a 4 year university with a degree in recording, and I'm worried that people will look at that on my resume and think "hmm... college boy know-it-all"... when I'm really quite humble.
Simply, don't act like a know it all. Only give your opinion when asked. Only give your true opinion when it's cool to do so. Knowing your place in the studio is abiggie. Respect the engineer and the clients at all times. When the engineer does something that you think is wrong or out of the ordinary, wait until after the session to ask. The clients aren't paying for your Q and A time.
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Ah yes, but how do I do that before they meet me, when they only see my resume?
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You need to put something in your resume to the affect:
I have learned much in school, but am eager to learn from audio professionals in the everyday trenches.
Basically, you are stating that you understand there is much more to learn.
Old 19th January 2009
Quote:
The number one mistake new grads make is to include too much info on their recording projects. The studio doesn't care what albums you've recorded, who you've produced, and they don't want to see your website. THAT'S what comes off as know-it-all-y, IMO, in most cases.
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

If I were to have an intern I wouldnt dog him out, as Im not that kind of person.
Ive seen many engineers treat their interns like crap, but I would just want them to learn the ropes ,so to speak and learn them good.
However,if they start to get "too comfortable" and lax and take advantage, I will show them the door as quick as you could bat an eye.
Old 19th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
If I were to have an intern I wouldnt dog him out, as Im not that kind of person.
I agree.

Although you shouldn't coddle them either, that's almost as bad because they aren't going to learn the lessons needed to succeed later in their career if you wet nurse them. However, treating them like dirt is really lame for a number of reasons:

1.) Bad karma--what goes around comes around.
2.) If you expect them to help you, you have to help them to learn how.
3.) Domineering people are always weak, it sends a bad message.
4.) The best types of people aren't going to tolerate it, leaving you with the worst.
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Ive seen many engineers treat their interns like crap, but I would just want them to learn the ropes ,so to speak and learn them good.
However,if they start to get "too comfortable" and lax and take advantage, I will show them the door as quick as you could bat an eye.
I am meeting my third intern on wensday. Highschool senior. Part of her mentoring class. Shes a singer songwriter interested in engineering.

I havent treated any of my intern like crap, because, well I was once an intern!
Old 19th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
I agree.

Although you shouldn't coddle them either, that's almost as bad because they aren't going to learn the lessons needed to succeed later in their career if you wet nurse them. However, treating them like dirt is really lame for a number of reasons:

4.) The best types of people aren't going to tolerate it, leaving you with the worst.
Right on!!
Old 19th January 2009
Gear Head

I recently worked on a record in LA with a semi successful producer. He took on a young intern and this kid was amazing!!!! He did everything a 'dream' intern is expected to do. He was AWLAYS the first to arrive and the last to leave, kept his mouth shut, but when he did speak up he was very professional and courteous. He ended up getting a asst. engineer credit on the major label record!!! The producer and I were so impressed by this kid that we both put our necks out on the line to find this kid a paying gig.

He landed a permanent job with the mix engineer who just mixed the record i was working on (very hot engineer, multiple top 40 hits this year) He's now living in LA making a living as an engineer and all he did was what everybody on this forum has recently described.

It ain't rocket science, it's common sense.
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
I agree.

Was reading this thread and thought I would try to breathe new life in to it as I feel it is an incredibly important thread for anyone who is trying to find there way in this business. As a student currently studying for there Audio Honors degree it should be the main aim of the majority of students studying to be able to have a career in recording studios or other directly related disciplines. This however is not the case in the Audio schools with a hardcore group who achieve high results and increasingly good level of work with the remainder basically seeing this as an easy game that owes them a living.

With regards to Ken's initial post it is an embarrassment that there are people out there who approach top pros in such a manner, I do have a feeling that the MBox generation has been lulled into the flawed pretence that top pros are but extensions of themselves and that the general attitude is that there is not the huge divide between the bedroom Produsha (not a typo ) and an engineer like Ken or Dave Pensado thus producing numb skulls like the one who contacted Ken asking for a little internship.

I for one spend a good six hours a day at least working on my mixing skills (whilst still keeping up a job and Uni work) and have managed to get mixes onto Radio 1 here in the UK and treat my craft with the utmost seriousness.

Hope you haven't had many numb skulls E-Mailing you recently Ken.

Happy engineering!
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney956 View Post
Was reading this thread and thought I would try to breathe new life in to it as I feel it is an incredibly important thread for anyone who is trying to find there way in this business. As a student currently studying for there Audio Honors degree it should be the main aim of the majority of students studying to be able to have a career in recording studios or other directly related disciplines. This however is not the case in the Audio schools with a hardcore group who achieve high results and increasingly good level of work with the remainder basically seeing this as an easy game that owes them a living.

With regards to Ken's initial post it is an embarrassment that there are people out there who approach top pros in such a manner, I do have a feeling that the MBox generation has been lulled into the flawed pretence that top pros are but extensions of themselves and that the general attitude is that there is not the huge divide between the bedroom Produsha (not a typo ) and an engineer like Ken or Dave Pensado thus producing numb skulls like the one who contacted Ken asking for a little internship.

I for one spend a good six hours a day at least working on my mixing skills (whilst still keeping up a job and Uni work) and have managed to get mixes onto Radio 1 here in the UK and treat my craft with the utmost seriousness.

Hope you haven't had many numb skulls E-Mailing you recently Ken.

Happy engineering!

I'll say this. I put out an ad asking for an intern once - it ended up being good - I got two really great interns out of it. Both of whom I'm happy to help even though their stays have ended - one of whom I take on as an assistant (as in pay) when the session warrants.

However, through the course of this ad I received a number of strange responses. People not addressing me by name even though my ad clearly stated I wished to be addressed by name, sending me examples of their recordings even though my ad clearly stated I was not interested in hearing sample recordings. But the weirdest one went as follows:

"yo wassup, I heard you was looking for an intern."

That was it, along with the guy's name. No cover letter, no resume, no nothing. To be honest, I was tempted to reply because it was so vastly unprofessional.
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=Storyville;6466145

"yo wassup, I heard you was looking for an intern."

That was it, along with the guy's name. No cover letter, no resume, no nothing. To be honest, I was tempted to reply because it was so vastly unprofessional.[/QUOTE]

I almost want to do this just to see the replies I get.

If I was you in this situation, I would totally have played the kid. Brought him in for an interview to keep the comedy rolling. Just completely ****ed with the dude. Evil, I know. heh
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Nut

Damn. Learned alot from that .pdf. Mainly one thing:

I wont intern this year at fifteen.
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
I almost want to do this just to see the replies I get.

If I was you in this situation, I would totally have played the kid. Brought him in for an interview to keep the comedy rolling. Just completely ****ed with the dude. Evil, I know. heh
I often wonder if these guys have any idea how to properly address people. Should definitely get one of them in and interrogate them on there lack of professional etiquette.

Yo Storyville wassup; you needing an intern?
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

I came within an inch of replying:

"Word."

But at the end of the day, I ultimately decided it would be opening up a can of worms.
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Some people are just trying to be cool. I don't really care. I won't write them off unless a few other factors come into play.

If it's a labor for me to communicate, I'll probably leave it alone or respond in a similar manner.

"supp wit them beats?"

Rather than decide what aspect of my "beats" they want to know about, or explain it all in detail, I'll respond with, "leases & exclusives".

I don't even know what that means, but it implies money so I usually never hear back from them. heh

I don't mind communicating in slang, as long as you are communicating well.
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I try not to rant much, but there are probably enough of you reading these boards to hopefully take some benefit from this. HOW NOT TO LAND AN INTERNSHIP.

I honestly dont know what on Earth some guys are thinking when they approach me trying to get internships. This type of approach has become such a common occurance that i think it should be addressed here. I just got this email. This is very typical of the approach most guys use when asking me for internships. here's the email, some info has been changed to protect the sender......
Hey whats going on.....i graduated from [who cares audio school] in 06 and now im currently interning @ [big major label] Records And i have been there for 1 year.....But as I see that i love the Admin side of things in music i also have a passion for the studio work.....im deciated to just learning from someone with knowlegde....so i was wondering if i could grab a little internship from you ????

This is the ENTIRE email. let me point out a few things.

- he did not address me by name
- he did not even give his own name!!!!!!! Who the hell am i hiring????
- he's speaking to me like we're old friends instead of with the professionality of an employer employee relationship
- his grammar is horrendous
- he provides no resume
- he provides no references
- he provides no contact info
- he tells me why it would be a good internship for him "i'm dedicated to just learning from someone with knowledge", but gives me absolutely no reason why it would be a good deal for me. "i'm a hard worker", "i make great coffee and run errands faster than fed ex", nothing.
- he completely belittles the internship by saying "could i grab a little internship from you" HOLY CRAP!
Yeah, when i think about who i want to employ, who i want around my clients, who i would trust to work in my studio, who i think would work hard and take the job seriously, my first thought is to hire the guy who wants to grab a little internship.

I'm not trying to single this guy out, and he shall remain anonymous, however, this is typical of the way the majority of people approach me for internships. Here are a few tips

- An internship is a JOB. treat it like its a JOB. your not getting paid in money, but you'll be paid in knowledge, experience, possibly credits, working in a professional environment, building your resume, all of which is far more valuable than your typical audio school or pro tools certificate.

- Be PROFESSIONAL. I dont want you around my clients or my studio if you cannot carry yourself professionally.

- provide a resume and cover letter, and references when you first contact someone for an internship

- have a professional sounding email address. if your email is [email protected], i'm not hiring you.

- ask for an interview. Do you think your going to send me one email and i'm going to hire you on the spot? NEVER. I will call your references. if they check out, i'll ask you in for an interview, probably along with ten or twenty other guys.

I could go on and on, but i have records to make, and i think the point is made. If your serious about landing a record industry job, treat it like its the most important job you could go for. One thing is absolutely certain. If i had not worked the two internships that i worked, i would have never gotten to where i am now. period. I'd be doing some other field entirely.
-Ken Lewis
great info
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I came within an inch of replying:

"Word."

But at the end of the day, I ultimately decided it would be opening up a can of worms.
Never deal with a fool; from a distance people can't tell who is who.

Think it relates back to what Ken said about the association to yourself and your brand, main reason I don't get involved with artists that are a) absolute crap irrespective of money and b) they'll forever be associated with your name if it goes badly!
Old 24th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
Some people are just trying to be cool.
Heh. The idea of "cool" people that actually work in studios is kinda funny to me. It's sort of a really nerdy job by necessity.heh

But yeah, I come across that "style" of would-be intern pretty regularly. Doesn't sit well with me at all. Interns aren't here to be my friend, or to impress me with their knowledge of obscure indie rock or underground hip hop, or to discuss the newest issue of TapeOp.

They're here to work, to keep the clients as comfortable as humanly possible, and to do it all with ninja-like invisibility. Being "cool" can actually really harm your chances at being any good at your job!!
Old 24th March 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

I cant stand to even be around anyone that says "up in da boofh" or any thing like that let alone hiring them, I feel bad for you guys that have to wade through all that crap!
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heh. The idea of "cool" people that actually work in studios is kinda funny to me. It's sort of a really nerdy job by necessity.heh

But yeah, I come across that "style" of would-be intern pretty regularly. Doesn't sit well with me at all. Interns aren't here to be my friend, or to impress me with their knowledge of obscure indie rock or underground hip hop, or to discuss the newest issue of TapeOp.

They're here to work, to keep the clients as comfortable as humanly possible, and to do it all with ninja-like invisibility. Being "cool" can actually really harm your chances at being any good at your job!!
I agree.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

WTH has grammar got to do wit it?
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

I may have landed an internship with a text message.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

haha post of the thread bro.
Old 29th March 2011
Here for the gear

Great tips, but that was hilarious!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search