The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How NOT to land an internship Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondtana View Post
Intern comedy...

Bag of Decibels but the -10 ones and a box of volume strips!!! LOL heh
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Guru

that video is best summed up by dude at the end, with the head shake and the "i dunno". too funny

reminds me of my days in construction, dudes were notorious for that kinda stuff. the new guy would always be asked to go find the ladder stretcher. i really got a kick out of the dudes who acted like they knew what it was heh
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Head

Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Dont pass your demo
Dont start spittin
Dont name drop
Dont be a schmuck
Dont be "ghetto"
Know when to pass your demo
Know when to name drop
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Bag of Decibels but the -10 ones and a box of volume strips!!!
Man, that cracks me up every time. -9 is would be too big lol

Lol man, as far as sending music with NO CONTACT INFO, that happens FAR FAR too often lol.
Old 10th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
What kind of a person, that knows everything you mentioned to the tee, interns?
I knew the answer to each and every one of those questions before I started interning. And every intern I hire better know damn near every answer to those questions.

Those are honestly all VERY basic questions. The only one not 100% relevant to what I do every day is the drop-frame one, but it's an important historical concept to understand, even if you don't do tv or film work.
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
What kind of a person, that knows everything you mentioned to the tee, interns?
Off the street............ Nary a one.

Out of one of the major engineering schools? All that stuff is second nature.

Basic stuff for an educated intern. Honest. I'm not trying to discourage you, but they make sure of these things in a proper school.

That's why I harp on school and hitting the ground running.

-
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusSumguy View Post
Here's a few questions that I ask.

What is a record pad?

Can you align a multitrack?

What does RT60 mean?

If I told you to get me a 412, U87 and a 221, would you know what to get?

If I asked you to lay a timecode track down on a 2", would you know how to do that? Would you know which track to put it on? Do you know what a 2" is?

Do you understand the difference between a split console and an inline console?

Do you know what signal flow means? Do you understand it deep down in your soul?

What's the difference between drop frame and non-drop? And what different applications are they used for?

As you can see, an intern without an education is no use to me.

-
I'm a pro producer, and I can only answer "yes" to 2 of those questions.
Old 10th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai An View Post
How long have you been working as a professional? How/where did you learn? What do you produce?

EDIT: it's worth mentioning that most kids don't get interns to produce. They get it to learn how to engineer. Whether they think so or not.
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

What to do when you get that internship

I'm sure this has been touched on but worth saying again.

Once you get that internship, here's what you do.

All the normal ****, work your ass off, shut your mouth, etc.. etc.. etc...

Make the lives of the engineer, assistant, producer, artist, a little easier any way you can. Once they've seen your face a couple times (over the course of days not hours), then very politely ask them if you can sit in the back of the room with your mouth shut on your day off, or after your shift, and just be a fly on the wall, or help any way possible.

Whenever someone who's helped me has asked this of me, i have never said "no" unless its just circumstances like, the president of the label is in the room, or the artist is having a really bad day. But otherwise, the answer is yes. When i was an intern, i did this alot, and i got in the room alot, and people noticed that i was hungry and dedicated and wanted to learn, and they'd teach me stuff. Thats how you move from intern to assistant.

Ask the assistants if you can help them break down the sessions, set up the sessions, etc... and when its one on one, and they are not super pressed for time, then ask them questions. ask them to teach you something. Dont assume that anybody knows you are there to learn. you are just another worthless intern until you prove otherwise. The burden is on you as the intern to seek the opportunity!!! Not by looking for a handout, but by earning it thru hard work and helping the guys you want to be taught from. Better than any school anywhere ever.
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
Better than any school anywhere ever.
A combination of the two can be life changing.

-
Old 10th January 2009
Here for the gear

Who the **** are any of you and why would anybody give a **** if they we're to intern with any of you? Most of you studio owners are arrogant unskilled suckbags anyway. Maybe you should get a hot chick that wants to engineer and she can blow you on the side... or maybe even a young hot guy if that's your bag!
Old 10th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened View Post
Who the **** are any of you and why would anybody give a **** if they we're to intern with any of you? Most of you studio owners are arrogant unskilled suckbags anyway. Maybe you should get a hot chick that wants to engineer and she can blow you on the side... or maybe even a young hot guy if that's your bag!
Heh. Sounds like someone just came from a bad interview.heh
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Maybe you should get a hot chick that wants to engineer and she can blow you on the side...
Great idea. I like the way you think. thumbsup

-
Old 10th January 2009
Quote:
And that, ladies 'n gents, is How NOT to Land an Internship. Any questions?
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

ROFL @ "suckbags"......ur funny guy
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
guess what I don't know?

...221 and 412...I'm sure they are mics and I could find them in a sec

...how to align a tape machine anymore....been 15 years

....what RT60 means

you know I don't think it's about knowing a list of things... it's all about taking pride in doing good work, making yourself useful, learning relatively quickly, retaining important info, being on time and reliable...'cause basically, you don't know f**ck all coming out of school, no matter what you memorized...any new job for anyone at any level involves a learning curve...how you navigate that curve is the key.

Nick
Old 10th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
guess what I don't know?

...221 and 412...I'm sure they are mics and I could find them in a sec

...how to align a tape machine anymore....been 15 years

....what RT60 means
Well...I'm guessing he meant "421", not "412", does that help?heh As for the "221", I don't know any mics called 221 either; I actually read it as "251", which I would expect an intern to know (at least by name). If the OP meant 221, I'm in the dark too. Anyway, a competent intern would lie if he didn't know those mics and was asked about them. Then he'd go home and do some research.

As for the tape machine alignment, I'm sure you could refresh your memory in a half hour, if you just sat in front of the thing. But if it's been 15 years since you've done an alignment, I'm guessing you're not on the lookout for an internshipheh. The point is, that's a very typical assistant's job, and most hiring studios/engineers would expect a new arrival to know how to do it (or at least be VERY keen to learn, and a quick study!).

RT60 is the standard by which we measure a room's reverberation time. Not useful for a studio intern to know, per se, but if I had to pick between hiring one of two interns and all other things were equal, that'd be one of the kinds of trivia questions that would help me make a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
you know I don't think it's about knowing a list of things... it's all about taking pride in doing good work, making yourself useful, learning relatively quickly, retaining important info, being on time and reliable...'cause basically, you don't know f**ck all coming out of school, no matter what you memorized...any new job for anyone at any level involves a learning curve...how you navigate that curve is the key.

Nick
This is very well-put. Nice!
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Well...I'm guessing he meant "421", not "412",
Actually, we're both wrong. Sorry, fingers are faster than brain. I meant 414. Was on the phone with my bass player at the same time. He wanted to know which cab. I wanted. For all I know, I told him to grab the 414... (-:

Quote:
does that help?heh As for the "221", I don't know any mics called 221 either;
Schoepps 221

To know what RT60 means is a pretty good indicator that the person actually cares about this stuff. And that they have done some studies along those lines.

Makes it much easier for me to know what I'm starting with.

-
Old 11th January 2009
Quote:
Actually, we're both wrong. Sorry, fingers are faster than brain. I meant 414

Schoepps 221

To know what RT60 means is a pretty good indicator that the person actually cares about this stuff. And that they have done some studies along those lines.

Makes it much easier for me to know what I'm starting with.

-
Hmmm...Schoepps 221? Interesting. Quick Google-check shows it's an old Telefunken tube mic...pretty esoteric stuff; I actually wouldn't expect an intern to know it. I've never even heard of it, and I'm a total mic fiend! It doesn't seem to fit along with the other mics you mentioned (which, type-os asideheh, are common to almost every studio everywhere).

That said, if I were coming to you for an internship and you asked me if I knew what a 221 was, I'd lie my ass off! Then I'd go home and figure it out so I didn't look like an asshole when you asked me to find one.
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
How long have you been working as a professional? How/where did you learn? What do you produce?

EDIT: it's worth mentioning that most kids don't get interns to produce. They get it to learn how to engineer. Whether they think so or not.
Pro musician for 9 years, producer for the last 5 years. Learned by trial and error, also by paying attention to the producers in sessions I was playing on. Produce pop/rock.

I understand that the necessary knowledge/expertise is different for a producer than an engineer... But still, the majority of questions on the list have NOTHING to do with today's music production. Aligning 2" tape, time code, frame rates?! I guess it's good to know so you can brag about it on the internet... But I've never been in a session where that knowledge would be useful.

It's pretty funny that JusSumguy has such strict standards, yet can't get the numbers right on his must-have mics....
Old 11th January 2009
Quote:
Pro musician for 9 years, producer for the last 5 years. Learned by trial and error, also by paying attention to the producers in sessions I was playing on. Produce pop/rock.

I understand that the necessary knowledge/expertise is different for a producer than an engineer... But still, the majority of questions on the list have NOTHING to do with today's music production. Aligning 2" tape, time code, frame rates?! I guess it's good to know so you can brag about it on the internet... But I've never been in a session where that knowledge would be useful.

It's pretty funny that JusSumguy has such strict standards, yet can't get the numbers right on his must-have mics....

Disagree...Aligning 2" Tape in my studio has a lot to do with music production and since I'm doing it now, that makes it current. There are still a lot of records where tape is used in conjunction with DAW and sometimes only on tape.

I do some movie scoring work as well, so time code and frame rates apply over here for music production and setting up cues, etc...

So to keep on thread, I would find knowledge of these points a big plus upon hiring an intern, especially aligning tape.
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Murder View Post
Disagree...Aligning 2" Tape in my studio has a lot to do with music production and since I'm doing it now, that makes it current. There are still a lot of records where tape is used in conjunction with DAW and sometimes only on tape.

I do some movie scoring work as well, so time code and frame rates apply over here for music production and setting up cues, etc...

So to keep on thread, I would find knowledge of these points a big plus upon hiring an intern, especially aligning tape.
Well... I stand corrected! I guess I'm coming from the mindset of a producer, where people hire me to do what I do... As a house engineer for a studio, I could see how you would need to be prepared for anything.
Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

u have never recorded to tape?
Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post

Old 11th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
Nope!
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
LOL....... I had that one coming. thumbsup

-
Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a few questions that I ask.

What is a record pad?

Can you align a multitrack?

What does RT60 mean?

If I told you to get me a 412, U87 and a 221, would you know what to get?

If I asked you to lay a timecode track down on a 2", would you know how to do that? Would you know which track to put it on? Do you know what a 2" is?

Do you understand the difference between a split console and an inline console?

Do you know what signal flow means? Do you understand it deep down in your soul?

What's the difference between drop frame and non-drop? And what different applications are they used for?

As you can see, an intern without an education is no use to me.

-
The 2" is probably the size of his...er...ummmm
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
And that, ladies 'n gents, is How NOT to Land an Internship. Any questions?

hilarious!
Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

I'll just stick to making music in my bedroom and making cash in an office... that way I can have fun with music and continue to hate working...and not learn to hate making music or being involved in music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search