The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How NOT to land an internship Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Two of my favorite quotes:

Quote:
"Always Remain Teachable"

Quote:
"Never pass up the opportunity to keep your mouth shut"
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank lyon View Post
Two of my favorite quotes:
Nice. I have one along those lines:

"Eyes and ears, open. Mouth, shut."
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
hehheh

Someone could probably make money with a real how to intern at a studio video.

Peace, Todd
Old 16th September 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
Someone could probably make money with a real how to intern at a studio video.

Peace, Todd
If you pay me now, Ill have a title ready and ask you what kinda **** youd like in it in a years time.

I might consider using my extra-special webcam for it too.

Gustav
Old 16th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
If you pay me now, Ill have a title ready and ask you what kinda **** youd like in it in a years time.

I might consider using my extra-special webcam for it too.

Gustav
heh

The bottom line in what Ken was saying is if your FIRST impression is one that isn't professional you won't have to worry about your second impression.
You won't get to make one.

Also,
Silence is a virtue.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
The bottom line in what Ken was saying is if your FIRST impression is one that isn't professional you won't have to worry about your second impression.
You won't get to make one.
Also,
Silence is a virtue.
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

This is the greatest post EVER!!! heh
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

I would like to point out that a lot of people in general think it's alright to act ignorant when dealing with rap artists; I see this always on the internet as if it's always expected that rap artists all conduct themselves like Kanye or something.

I used to work for a talent management company in the early 90s and we managed about 5 known rappers, and these guys were some of the most polite heads I've met (that's not to say that all rappers are like this, but all I read on the internet is how rap artists are assholes, not always true), and so the point I'm trying to make is this:

Don't assume that the people you are dealing with act and talk like how they do on Friday (the movie); be polite just like you would be meeting anyone. I've seen this happen quite a few times, where someone approaches an artist and goes "Yooooo, wassup my dawg!" only to see the artist put up a barrier immediately.

I'm not saying this is how Mr. Lewis feels, but I know from speaking to some artists, that it's a little insulting to them when someone automatically assumes that the "proper" way to introduce themselves is by saying "yo dawg!"

One time my boss hired a friend's son as the receptionist. Well, he saw one of our artists show up with his wife and toddler & this kid went "Yooo, is that your baby momma out there!?" The artist took a step back and said "woah, what's your problem man?" and shook his head and went into the boss' office. 10 seconds later, my boss comes out of his office, demanded this kid apologize to our artist and told him to go home. That was the last time I saw that kid. I broke the ice by saying "hey what's going on man, look at how big your little boy's getting!" and went outside to meet his lady and son.

Now actors, those guys are generally assholes!
Old 9th January 2009
Imo, I would love to be an intern to someone like the 1st response to that kid in the pdf on the first page..
Just reading that tells me the guy knows his stuff and after being a bitch for many years, I would have learn alot more than what I would pay to learn.
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

That .pdf is hillarious but it's also the reason why I never had the desire to work in a commercial cut-f'ing-throat studio, or seek an internship; as someone who's grown up around people (family, teachers, cops, DMV employees) treating me like dirt, putting myself through something like that would just be too sadistic.

I mean, if I want to be treated like a tampon, I'd join the Marines. I understand why they train those cats hard (because they're being trained to kill, now THAT line of business requires that sort of training). No reason to have to put up with that kind of treatment to end up working with f-ing audio, just because the label guys have their fists in the studio owner's asses constantly, naaah - you can keep that ****! LOL!
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Maniac

What I find amusing after reading these threads is how common this is in just about every other industry as well...it isn't exclusive to the recording world. I am 43, and I am a plumber for a living, and I get to deal with guys (apprentices or "apprentices to be...") who are maybe a year to five out of high school. Man..... I never thought I would say this but, "What the Hell is wrong with kids these days?" They're rude, arrogant, they don't listen, and worst of all.... they think that the world owes them a living. It's not their fault exactly. Hell, most of them got a free pass through high school just for showing up. Why should they expect anything to be different in the real world? I know there are always exceptions to what I just said and, hey.... I am always pleasantly surprised and proud of the ones who actually make after a year or two. It is just the other 80 percent I don't know about. Sorry for getting off topic here. I just had the urge to rant.

Mortal Engines on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

studio etiquette is extremely key... seems like common sense but you would be suprised.

I recently upset a rock band when I was in the back of the control room on my laptop
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Wow! So nice to see this thread get resurrected. I think it probably should once every six months or so just to remind the newbie's and people who've lost touch with reality.

Mortal Engines, I loved the plumber story. I didnt know it was so endemic in other fields. Thats kind of scary and i agree with you, Kids nowadays. i sound so old but seriously, I'm 38, things were different when i was growing up and getting out in the real world to get a job. I think instant communication and the internet has done amazing things in some regards, but its completely destroyed face to face communication skills and professionalism.
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Addict

Intern comedy...

Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear
Yo Dude.... just me the frickin gig.

Hit me up at [email protected]
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I try not to rant much, but there are probably enough of you reading these boards to hopefully take some benefit from this. HOW NOT TO LAND AN INTERNSHIP.

I honestly dont know what on Earth some guys are thinking when they approach me trying to get internships. This type of approach has become such a common occurance that i think it should be addressed here. I just got this email. This is very typical of the approach most guys use when asking me for internships. here's the email, some info has been changed to protect the sender......
Hey whats going on.....i graduated from [who cares audio school] in 06 and now im currently interning @ [big major label] Records And i have been there for 1 year.....But as I see that i love the Admin side of things in music i also have a passion for the studio work.....im deciated to just learning from someone with knowlegde....so i was wondering if i could grab a little internship from you ????

This is the ENTIRE email. let me point out a few things.

- he did not address me by name
- he did not even give his own name!!!!!!! Who the hell am i hiring????
- he's speaking to me like we're old friends instead of with the professionality of an employer employee relationship
- his grammar is horrendous
- he provides no resume
- he provides no references
- he provides no contact info
- he tells me why it would be a good internship for him "i'm dedicated to just learning from someone with knowledge", but gives me absolutely no reason why it would be a good deal for me. "i'm a hard worker", "i make great coffee and run errands faster than fed ex", nothing.
- he completely belittles the internship by saying "could i grab a little internship from you" HOLY CRAP!
Yeah, when i think about who i want to employ, who i want around my clients, who i would trust to work in my studio, who i think would work hard and take the job seriously, my first thought is to hire the guy who wants to grab a little internship.

I'm not trying to single this guy out, and he shall remain anonymous, however, this is typical of the way the majority of people approach me for internships. Here are a few tips

- An internship is a JOB. treat it like its a JOB. your not getting paid in money, but you'll be paid in knowledge, experience, possibly credits, working in a professional environment, building your resume, all of which is far more valuable than your typical audio school or pro tools certificate.

- Be PROFESSIONAL. I dont want you around my clients or my studio if you cannot carry yourself professionally.

- provide a resume and cover letter, and references when you first contact someone for an internship

- have a professional sounding email address. if your email is [email protected], i'm not hiring you.

- ask for an interview. Do you think your going to send me one email and i'm going to hire you on the spot? NEVER. I will call your references. if they check out, i'll ask you in for an interview, probably along with ten or twenty other guys.

I could go on and on, but i have records to make, and i think the point is made. If your serious about landing a record industry job, treat it like its the most important job you could go for. One thing is absolutely certain. If i had not worked the two internships that i worked, i would have never gotten to where i am now. period. I'd be doing some other field entirely.
-Ken Lewis
sorry i cant help but laugh at the "[email protected]" classic
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondtana View Post
Intern comedy...

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
purple SMPTE

haha!

a bag of dB's, that's classic
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Dont pass your demo
Dont start spittin
Dont name drop
Dont be a schmuck
Dont be "ghetto"
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

This is an example of an inquiry from an intern who ended up with the gig

"Your Studio-
Hello! I saw your post wanting an intern on the jobs offered forum. I know you posted it a LONG time ago, but I was just gonna see if you still had any room for a young analog fanatic. I checked out your studio and really really dug the vibe. I have been recording analog for a while now, but I am young and am pretty much the only person I know that has even ever used a tape machine. I recently picked up an Otari MX80 2" 24 Track and an MCI JH110 1/4" 2 Track, but I really don't have a place/use for them in my little apartment at the moment. If you're still accepting interns I'd LOVE to come help you guys out and learn from you. I'd be more than happy to bring my 24 track over as well as some other gear to use in the studio. I am a Recording Industry student at ___________, and I am a SUPER motivated engineer, and a hard worker. If your interested shoot me an email back and maybe we can arrange a time to meet in the near future, even if you're not looking for interns email me back because I'd love to come check out your studio and possibly rent it out for a couple of projects I have coming up.

Thanks so much,

___________"

I don't think he'd mind my posting his inquiry here. He's been really helpful so far and I am more than happy to pass on what I know...

Inglewood SoundBarn
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Addict

most, if not all, of this thread is about what not to do to get an internship and what to do to keep it, but it should be stressed that interns should have a set time period for how long they will be at that particular place (based off the vibe).

it's well and common for businesses to keep interns/gov't paid youth program employees for as long as they can stretch it without any intention of hiring, regardless of how good they might be. at some point, you should be able to get a feel for the place and whether they're looking to hire and some will be honest from the start or if you ask them.
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

I was an intern. but a major label intern. actually got respect in the studios during projects lol!

another intern started at same time. He was of the "I Know" type. Every time he was told something he said "I Know...." The comedy of his departure after a month was reality tv worthy.

stay quiet, dont offer any suggestions unless asked, be aware at all times, and dont lose your temper because you have to travel all the way back to the other side of a huge resort after u just left there to go get a stack of big ass posters by yourself and then when u get back they say forget it- take em back. (personal story)
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Head

I mostly agree with everything said in this thread, I just wanted to give my take (like anybody cares?!) on internships.

Being an intern for the past year, I've experienced a lot of things said in this thread. I've stayed quiet, watched, listened and have striven to do every little task as best as I could. Reading these posts I've remembered all the times I was frustrated because I couldn't understand why the producers/engineers treated me like s**t. I was frustrated because I couldn't understand why they called it an internship when it was essentially a cleaning maid/runner position. Interns weren't invited in sessions and producers worked behind closed doors. So I took matters in my own hand - dont' want to get into details, but suffice to say I worked on stuff and showed to producers.
Internships aren't easy - they are probably the hardest job to do, because if you aren't a wealthy little sh*t you have to work another full time job to pay rent and put food in your mouth. And nobody guarantees you a job either - I am still an intern.
So...my advice is, don't waste your time with some recording institute or 4 year recording program. Get an internship, act professional, read and learn all you can about audio and the music biz - stay quiet, watch, listen and repeat. BUT!...Don't stay quiet all the time. Find the right time to get in there and ask some questions. Be as brief and as to-the-point as possible. And if you get asked to assist a session, be honest to your engineer and let them know if you don't know how to turn auto input monitoring on (assuming you know what that is!) - it's not time to improvise on a paying session - do it on your own time!

Star Intern
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
I was an intern. but a major label intern. actually got respect in the studios during projects lol!

another intern started at same time. He was of the "I Know" type. Every time he was told something he said "I Know...." The comedy of his departure after a month was reality tv worthy.

stay quiet, dont offer any suggestions unless asked, be aware at all times, and dont lose your temper because you have to travel all the way back to the other side of a huge resort after u just left there to go get a stack of big ass posters by yourself and then when u get back they say forget it- take em back. (personal story)
what label did you intern for?
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Dude can always intern for Suge Knight!!
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Head

Here's a few questions that I ask.

What is a record pad?

Can you align a multitrack?

What does RT60 mean?

If I told you to get me a 412, U87 and a 221, would you know what to get?

If I asked you to lay a timecode track down on a 2", would you know how to do that? Would you know which track to put it on? Do you know what a 2" is?

Do you understand the difference between a split console and an inline console?

Do you know what signal flow means? Do you understand it deep down in your soul?

What's the difference between drop frame and non-drop? And what different applications are they used for?

As you can see, an intern without an education is no use to me.

-
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniks View Post
I mostly agree with everything said in this thread, I just wanted to give my take (like anybody cares?!) on internships.

Being an intern for the past year, I've experienced a lot of things said in this thread. I've stayed quiet, watched, listened and have striven to do every little task as best as I could. Reading these posts I've remembered all the times I was frustrated because I couldn't understand why the producers/engineers treated me like s**t. I was frustrated because I couldn't understand why they called it an internship when it was essentially a cleaning maid/runner position. Interns weren't invited in sessions and producers worked behind closed doors. So I took matters in my own hand - dont' want to get into details, but suffice to say I worked on stuff and showed to producers.
Internships aren't easy - they are probably the hardest job to do, because if you aren't a wealthy little sh*t you have to work another full time job to pay rent and put food in your mouth. And nobody guarantees you a job either - I am still an intern.
So...my advice is, don't waste your time with some recording institute or 4 year recording program. Get an internship, act professional, read and learn all you can about audio and the music biz - stay quiet, watch, listen and repeat. BUT!...Don't stay quiet all the time. Find the right time to get in there and ask some questions. Be as brief and as to-the-point as possible. And if you get asked to assist a session, be honest to your engineer and let them know if you don't know how to turn auto input monitoring on (assuming you know what that is!) - it's not time to improvise on a paying session - do it on your own time!

Star Intern
I always wondered how that would work out, and still have time to work on ur stuff at home, what does ur schedule look like
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Great thread Ken!

I got an email last month from some kid claiming to be a "Pro Tools Expert". He was tooting his own horn about how he could "make beats, produce, engineer, et al." It was a pretty pompous email.

Now I have been using Pro Tools for almost 9 years, and dont consider myself an expert, yes I am modest. So I ask the kid how long has he been using PT and to send me a Resume.

He has only been using PT for 2 years and didnt send me a resume, but instead another email, one long ass paragraph in a much more subdued tone. I didnt bother to respond.....
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 View Post
I always wondered how that would work out, and still have time to work on ur stuff at home, what does ur schedule look like
I work seven days a week. It gets hard and i sure wish I had more time to work on more music and mixing but that's how it is at the moment. It's slower than I'd like it to be.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who has already been through it and can share his take on how to carry a full time job while trying to break into the industry...just so I can feel i'm not alone!
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
That .pdf is hillarious but it's also the reason why I never had the desire to work in a commercial cut-f'ing-throat studio, or seek an internship; as someone who's grown up around people (family, teachers, cops, DMV employees) treating me like dirt, putting myself through something like that would just be too sadistic.

I mean, if I want to be treated like a tampon, I'd join the Marines. I understand why they train those cats hard (because they're being trained to kill, now THAT line of business requires that sort of training). No reason to have to put up with that kind of treatment to end up working with f-ing audio, just because the label guys have their fists in the studio owner's asses constantly, naaah - you can keep that ****! LOL!
Well Just like Ken Lewis said in a thread (Forgot which one) but he said, " if you don't live to succeed in this business, someone else will work harder than you and get what you want instead of you. Someone like me"

So I guess you don't live to succeed in this business, but that's ok!! less competition for me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search