The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I the Only Person Who Wants This??? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Am I the Only Person Who Wants This???

There is one thing I've always wanted, and I'm wondering if anybody else agrees with me.

I Want a Keyboard/Synth that has 16 stereo or 32 mono analog 1/4" out's.

I record everything to protools by going through a 24 track board.

I would love the ability to go directly from my keyboard and record all of my midi channels as individual outs into my DAW.

This would save a ton of time, and all of my individual instrument tracks would be on their own audio track.

The only way to do this now (if I'm using outboard keys/synths) is to record track by track each individual instrument part, until the beat is fully recorded.
This is tedious, and takes forever, so I end up just mixing all of my levels/effects inside the keyboard and bouncing it to protools as either a single stereo track, or two stereo tracks.

Having the ability to do this all at once, would save not only time, but would allow me to then use RTAS effects on each seperate instrument track.

Bottom line, is due to the time constraints, not having this ability has made me lazy.

Let me know if I'm the only person who WANTS THIS NOW!!!

Antagonist
www.myspace.com/leftcoastrider
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Get gigastudio and run out with lightpipe...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think the new korg M3 has a firewire add on that can do about 16 at a time
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

motif xs6 16 out via firewire

roland fantom 8/10 outs

korg, etc. have multi outs or optional outs

i would never wanna use 24 trks from only one synth. need variety
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
motif xs6 16 out via firewire

roland fantom 8/10 outs

korg, etc. have multi outs or optional outs

i would never wanna use 24 trks from only one synth. need variety
I 've been thinking about a xs7, and I did not know about the firewire option. That's cool. I got to agre with the original post, tracking MIDI stuff SUCK ASS ! Although, 16 stereo pairs is kind of crazy ! hahahhaha
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
The only way to do this now (if I'm using outboard keys/synths) is to record track by track each individual instrument part, until the beat is fully recorded.
This is tedious, and takes forever,
This is EXACTLY why I now have a TV in my studio
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post

Cant forget the XBOX 360, PS3, and for classical feel a Dreamcast.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

i prefer to take the time and trk thru the 6 analog pre's in my lunchbox and the fatso. I do my kik & snr blends on mixer before i buss the kik stack to one channel and the snr trk to one channel for recording. do the same with my synth stacks & rest of music/perc whether in mono or stereo. It takes about an hour & 2/3 passes but the rewards far outway not doing it.

faster isnt always better.
Old 11th September 2007
cpu
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Is it bad that the tv was one of my best additions in 2006? I spend way more time in there, and half the time the sound isn't even on!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
i prefer to take the time and trk thru the 6 analog pre's in my lunchbox and the fatso. I do my kik & snr blends on mixer before i buss the kik stack to one channel and the snr trk to one channel for recording. do the same with my synth stacks & rest of music/perc whether in mono or stereo. It takes about an hour & 2/3 passes but the rewards far outway not doing it.

faster isnt always better.
agreed!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

maybe hard to find these days...but there are emu ultra samplers out there with 16 analogs(8 standard, 8 add in card) and adat.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

the keyboard you are looking for is called the EMU Emulator III. Top spec machine with analog filters. Get the rack. Sample all your keys or phrases through it and be stunned.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
the keyboard you are looking for is called the EMU Emulator III. Top spec machine with analog filters. Get the rack. Sample all your keys or phrases through it and be stunned.
EIII's only have 8 outs...also...if u are gonna get an EIII...make sure it just says EIII...there are a few different units in the EIII family....any of them that have letters after EIII like EIIIxp(playback only) and EIIIxs(sample) DO NOT have the curtis filters that the original keyboard and rack versions have...the EIIIx line has the same filters as the ESI line....the EIIIx racks are the ones you usually see on ebay.

a real EIII does sound awesome....but the E4 family sounds just as good imo...just in a different way...the EIII has that curtis sound which is awesome when you really jack up your tuning and get some harsh aliasing, which the curtis filter cuts nicely....the E4's filter is a different beast all together....morphing and modulating sounds is what it does best...put a pad or choir sample thru the peak/shelf filter and modulate it with 2 envelopes, you'll get a growling beast...anything you sample thru any emu sampler is going to have awesome sound and character....emu samplers have always had the BEST ADC/DAC chips, and they are all very nice machines...if money were no object id probably have an emulator 2, EIII, E4 classic, and an E4 ultra.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
Which will probably take 3 times as long as printing the synths did previously....
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Which will probably take 3 times as long as printing the synths did previously....

heh Ha!!! Exaclty what i thought..!! But if it sounds better... Hmm...

Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
EIII's only have 8 outs....
The keyboard have sixteen outs + 2 stéréos.

And the rack version too:

Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post

Cant forget the XBOX 360, PS3, and for classical feel a Dreamcast.
Dreamcast & Supernintendo are the ****!
I'll get my XBOX 360 soon.
Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

**** that, atari lynx is the ****, looks great sitting on top my 1040 st
Old 19th November 2007
LCD
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
This is tedious, and takes forever, so I end up just mixing all of my levels/effects inside the keyboard and bouncing it to protools as either a single stereo track, or two stereo tracks.
You make hip-hop beats right? So I'm assuming that you have 4, 8 or even 16 bar loops.... what I do is make my beat on my fantom... record the 4 or 8 bar loop into Pro Tools, then mix and arrange in Pro Tools... saves a ****load of time.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Uhh... just get things with large numbers of outputs. They exist already.

Get an Akai S-6000 with the extra output board for 16 outs... or get two of them. Throw in your samples and then go.

Or get an Andromedia. I think it has 16 outs.

Or fix your production habits and workflow.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD View Post
You make hip-hop beats right? So I'm assuming that you have 4, 8 or even 16 bar loops.... what I do is make my beat on my fantom... record the 4 or 8 bar loop into Pro Tools, then mix and arrange in Pro Tools... saves a ****load of time.
exaaaactly.

well that and, you have way more resampling possibilities once your loops are all in your daw. i come up with wild **** just chopping/shifting/arranging/resampling the things i track into cubase....
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
exaaaactly.

well that and, you have way more resampling possibilities once your loops are all in your daw. i come up with wild **** just chopping/shifting/arranging/resampling the things i track into cubase....
save your loop arrangement.

set every track to start one or two bars after the previous.
(if you record 8 bar loops, 1-9, set the next on 11, then next on 21, next on 31, etc...)

route your outboard to one audio input in the DAW.
press record. take a break or do something else.

come back, cut the audio track every 10 bars, put the elements on seperate audio tracks. voila.

you don't have to record every track manually, so you can use the time you'd be otherwise spending in front of the screen on doing something productive.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

I'm sure this isn't a very popular opinion around here but If I were you.....I would sell all my hardware "beat making" instruments and buy Battery and some really good soft synths. Then you don't have to worry about routing everything after you have made your track. You will already be in the pro tools environment. The only thing that takes time routing (maybe a few minutes) is all the individual Battery tracks.
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Maniac

i can shoot directly into my DAW with my fantom xr... via usb.

no problems at all... 16 channels, all controllable from the DAW... I can sequence all the MIDI on 16 channel, then track everything down to wave individually, and do what i need from there with software fx, or whatever. I also have a eventide eclipse on the front end just incase i want to add some hardware effects to anything before i print it.
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Now you reminded me why I switched all software...

Except for a couple of synth, If I could sample my own "best of" patches of all the other workstations I love, I think the only hardware I'd use would be external processors.

I never said I don't need real instruments (nobody can clone a guitar classical or folk, or a real saxophone, or a real piano, etc... even a synth's "direct" feel times to times).

Digital revolution made things easier, why complicating things that end up the same ? Especially for sequencing, timing (softwares have nothing to envy about timing imo), and processing (which gets more and more realistic, i.e UAD1, Waves SSL, etc.).

It's not a surprise for me seing Just Blaze's going more and more ITB. He's not my fav producer but he's definitely producing hits (Tell Me was a bit repeptitive but fire on the dancefloor). Or any other super producer going ITB. You name it.
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
I'm sure this isn't a very popular opinion around here but If I were you.....I would sell all my hardware "beat making" instruments and buy Battery and some really good soft synths. Then you don't have to worry about routing everything after you have made your track. You will already be in the pro tools environment. The only thing that takes time routing (maybe a few minutes) is all the individual Battery tracks.
Depending what he's got, i'll even buy him Battery and a few softsynths if he gives me all of his current synths!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search