The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Props Mike Dean, Ken Lewis GRADUATION Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

well put
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeMiKaL View Post
Kanye's Album Sucked Ass
437K sold in the first two days...I think you're in the minority brah...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyest1 View Post
I'm not making a judgement on Kanye's album, but sales is definitely not a measure of what's good; it's usually more of a measure of what's publicized the best via radio and MTV. It's advertising 101, music the corporate way.

I think it's hot that producers are looking towards people like Ken Lewis to replay samples. Anything that gets us away from processed synth tracks and nursery rhyme lyrics is a big positive.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twin View Post
I'm not making a judgement on Kanye's album, but sales is definitely not a measure of what's good; it's usually more of a measure of what's publicized the best via radio and MTV. It's advertising 101, music the corporate way.
Exactly!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
2 pac is the worst, i don't think i'v ever heard a tupac song without doubles all the way. heh
Usually triples.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyest1 View Post
What does having sold many albums have to do with the quality of the music? Brittany Spears has sold millions and millions of records........enuff said.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerman View Post
What does having sold many albums have to do with the quality of the music? Brittany Spears has sold millions and millions of records........enuff said.
First post and you're already talkin trash...

you'll fit in here just fine!

(BTW... I completely agree with your post.)

Last edited by matthew.sawicki; 13th September 2007 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: left out a word that made my post senseless
Old 14th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
First post and you're already talkin trash...

you'll fit in here just fine!

(BTW... I completely agree with your post.)

thank you thank you...thank you
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Between the 50 Cent album, and the Kanye West album, despite which had better marketing, I knew Kanye's album was going to do better; The content on Graduation was a lot more interesting for me to listen to than with 50's album. 50's nicest tracks on the album already been released as singles...meaning I'm tired of those already and im looking to see what else he has going on the album for me to vibe on... which was only 1 track "Follow My Lead" for its chillen beat.

They are both good albums, and its worth it to get both..... that being said though, if I had to only choose one, it would be Kanyes album.

Fully Loaded Clip is funny though..."While *insert names here* was mmmm mmmm kissin"....
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Care to talk about Kanye's vocal chain on this album?
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

one of 3 mic's ELAM 251, U67, or Sony C800G....

A "good" sounding ELAM or U67 is getting harder and harder to find, so the C800 is the standby. While I'm not nessisarilly a fan of the c800 Kanye likes seeing it in the booth...

I Like the Tubetech mp1a mic pre, either that or a Neve 1081 or 1073...
Anthony Killhoffer uses the 1073's... Killhoffer usually uses an ELAM (they have a great sounding one at the record plant!)
If there's a good sounding LA-2A I'll use that next in the chain, otherwise I'll grab the Tubetech CL-1B no more than a Max of about -5db of gain reduction, and SLOW attack and SLOW release set on the CL-1B around the 2oclock position....
Ratio is usually around 3:1 or 4:1
After the Compressor I put a touch of Eq on it to taste. (different mics, different rooms, kanye's voice changes from day to day as well).
My vox EQ of choice is a GML8200 but that usually makes Kanye too sylibant.
So usually I opt for a Manley Massive Passive EQ when tracking Kanye.
Its a very "smooth" sounding EQ. You can boost quite a bit of uper mids, without it getting harsh.

Thats it! Not rocket science at all! nothing crazy fancy, just good quality solid gear.
The key is to know when stuff sounds "off", because he moves around lots, its hard to travel with a vocal setup...
Telling the difference between a "good" or "bad" mic or compressor, is just experience mainly...
If you have time the best way to try this at the studio, is try multiple U67's or La-2a's and get a vibe for what you like.
I guarentee anything more than 10-15 years old will sound VERY different from unit to unit.
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

Hows it goin Mr Dawson??...

I listened to the album from start to finish two times in a row yesterday! It came out really really great!!

I guess all the NEON lights paid off,eh???? hahahaha

Hows things goin with ya these days??
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Good mr Durst!

I forgot the most importnant thing in the vocal chain!!! how could I forget!

Half dozen neon sighns placed throught the studio! whirring and buzzing away!

Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerman View Post
You want to hear some serious engineering & production, give a listen again to Woops I Did It Again.
for real..
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAX View Post
You want to hear some serious engineering & production, give a listen again to Woops I Did It Again.
for real..
I agree, or NSYNC's "pop"
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

yep

i agree.

sup frew!

gold already.. u workin on the game **** yet?? holler...
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

In terms of eq, compression, or other, what methods do you guys use to make the vocals fit in the pocket over top of Kanye's 2-track samples and drum hits?
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
In terms of eq, compression, or other, what methods do you guys use to make the vocals fit in the pocket over top of Kanye's 2-track samples and drum hits?
Bump
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

filterbank

to fairchild to pultec to deesser to filterbank. thats my chain....

sup andrew!!!
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

sup dean! nah haven't gotten a call yet about Game's stuff...
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

props andrew! your discography is nice.

Mark
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post

sup andrew!!!
mike - care to share how you're using the filterbank on vocals? what settings?

sounds like it could be interesting. i have one, but haven't tried it before.
Old 17th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
mike - care to share how you're using the filterbank on vocals? what settings?

sounds like it could be interesting. i have one, but haven't tried it before.
The settings aren't gonna be much use to you unless you eq'n Kanye on the same track with the same mic chain.

At a guess I would say he's using the Pultec to poss boost low mids, or highs then de-essing and then using the filterbank to smooth it out more ( I guess Kanye's voice on the wrong set up with the wrong eq tweaks could get grating). The frequencies you would cut here would depend on voice mic pre and performance and how you want it to sit in the track, so it's always individual.

You just need to grab it and tweak to taste.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
The settings aren't gonna be much use to you unless you eq'n Kanye on the same track with the same mic chain.

At a guess I would say he's using the Pultec to poss boost low mids, or highs then de-essing and then using the filterbank to smooth it out more ( I guess Kanye's voice on the wrong set up with the wrong eq tweaks could get grating). The frequencies you would cut here would depend on voice mic pre and performance and how you want it to sit in the track, so it's always individual.

You just need to grab it and tweak to taste.
thanks for the input, but...the thing is, the filterbank has so many possibilities and settings it'd be nice to hear from the source what he's exactly using it for...and use those settings as a starting point to tweak my own ****.

now, will the real mike dean please stand up? :p
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post
Was this not meant as a joke?

Props by the way! I like the synth modulating flanger type sounds at the end of stronger.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

an e6 filterback

its no joke. ill put up some screenshots when i get a chance. no big secret. just eq and compression. till it sounds good.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

ahhhhhhh.......and here i was thinking sherman filterbank.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
Sorry, I had to bump again. Please don't leave us hangin!
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd honestly love to say we used some secret trick... but we didn't. Just good gear, good judgement, and good ears... I'm sure Mike Dean will back me up on this one....

Thanks PhonoquO!
Old 18th September 2007
Here for the gear

good gear,good ear and a damn good MC! hahaha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search