The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I miss hearing drums knock... Studio Monitors
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I miss hearing drums knock...

on my monitors. I have NS-10s which are great for my mixing gigs, but when i make beats i want to hear some thump! anyone have any recommendations?

i used to own a pair of Event 20/20s but they were too boomy. specifically for hip hop production, how do y'all feel about Mackie HR824 (old ones) or something in the way of KRK? tannoy? i'd even consider genelec if i could afford them....i don't want to spend more than $1k.

thanks in advance. i did a thread search but it's difficult to wade through a bunch of "why do you want NS-10s?" posts to get to the point
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

Definately pick up a pair of KRK V8 mK II. You can pick these up for $800 right now because theyre a discontinued model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnetic View Post
on my monitors. I have NS-10s which are great for my mixing gigs, but when i make beats i want to hear some thump! anyone have any recommendations?

i used to own a pair of Event 20/20s but they were too boomy. specifically for hip hop production, how do y'all feel about Mackie HR824 (old ones) or something in the way of KRK? tannoy? i'd even consider genelec if i could afford them....i don't want to spend more than $1k.

thanks in advance. i did a thread search but it's difficult to wade through a bunch of "why do you want NS-10s?" posts to get to the point
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

didnt those cost 800 when they were out or 900 but get the mackies i was at the store the other day and they had a g5 hooked up to some mackies forgot what interface but anyways i had a cd on me of some loops i had made because i was gonna go to a friends after he just got a new fantom i played the cd at the stores listening to to different monitors my drums sounded insane on the mackies it was the 8 inch ones(hr824). so if you wanna here them drums knock defenately get the mackies i heard the v8's sounded nice to but if all u want is to hear them drums knock mackies. if it was for mixing id say get the bm5a they sounded nice and clear.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

i'm hella happy with my event asp8's.....but if loudness is your thing why not go get some PA or hifi speakers or something?
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile255 View Post
didnt those cost 800 when they were out or 900 but get the mackies i was at the store the other day and they had a g5 hooked up to some mackies forgot what interface but anyways i had a cd on me of some loops i had made because i was gonna go to a friends after he just got a new fantom i played the cd at the stores listening to to different monitors my drums sounded insane on the mackies it was the 8 inch ones(hr824). so if you wanna here them drums knock defenately get the mackies i heard the v8's sounded nice to but if all u want is to hear them drums knock mackies. if it was for mixing id say get the bm5a they sounded nice and clear.
hmm....tough choice. it looks like the KRK and the Mackie's are similarly priced...i guess i will have to listen. do you think the DYNaudio's are going to hit hard enough?

anyone else have input?

thanks again
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm....tough choice. it looks like the KRK and the Mackie's are similarly priced...i guess i will have to listen. do you think the DYNaudio's are going to hit hard enough?

anyone else have input?

thanks again
The BM5a's arent gonna have as big a bass response as the Mackies or KRKs obviously, but if you are getting these monitors strickly for mixing on them, then i'd say its you best choice out of all the monitors mentioned so far. Either that or the Adam A7's, which have a deeper bass response, which could be more suiting for your situation.

In reality, IMO its always a great ideal to have two sets of monitors if possible. One smaller, more highly detailed pair for critical listening, and one bigger pair with a more extended frequency response that you can use to check out the overall balance of your mix.

The Krk's or Mackies would work nicely as your bigger pair, and the BM5a's or Adam A7's would work great as your smaller more detailed pair.

That monitoring setup is something you should be able to get for around 2 grand, and it would be very effective.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I love my KRK V-8's for Hip Hop. They just exaggerate the low end quite a bit but once you get used to them you'll know that you need to turn up the low end just a little in a mix to get it to sound balanced.

Highly recommended!
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

i have 2 4 foot kenwood towers. some of the tweeters are blown out and all the cones are mashed in by stupid ****ing kids. but i can get them to beat. its a blast mixing when the bass hits and the lightbulb is dimming out. just make sure you dont boost some bass frqs when your listening like that!

i do most of my tweaking on hs50ms though. kenwoods for fun. entire kenwood system cost me 150 bucks with a cd player, stereo eq, tape deck, receiver, and a glass cabinet. plus i have another teac amp thats ready to go it.
Old 9th September 2007
Deleted #29527
I cant judge the other monitors you mentioned, but I´m truely in love with my Mackie HR824´s (old ones). As long as I live, I´ll never sell these speakers.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

anyone else have input?

thanks again
if u just want them to hear your tracks knock id say get the mackies. the dynaudio's sound really nice and would be great for mixing but if you want them for your tracks to knock the mackies go to a store with a beat cd or something and listen to the mackies. Ive never heard or been anywhere where they have the adam a7's but alot of ppl use thses and speak highly of them. need to check these out my self i was planning on upgradiong my monitors soon and did lots of research went to the store plenny of times heard them at friends place and came up with the dynaudio or hr824's as my upgrade choice. recent why i cant decide on those 2 is because for mixing imo the dynaudio is beter to me but i love how the mackies sound plus got nice bass.I gotta check the adam a7's first though i here great things about these.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

What about new JBL and Genelec lines? The ones that tune themselves to your room? I believe you can tweak bass on them anyway that you want

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search